Random stuff that stops me getting fat... and makes you fat

Options
m60kaf
m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
I'm bored because it's raining again so I thought I'd put down random points I believe keep me thin and make the larger person plateau and fustrate the hell out of me on MFP...

If you record calories you have to record everything including drinks... everything!

You can't cheat calories - just the way you can't cheat your bank balance, consume to much you will end up broke

Portion control - You are probably eating too much... way too much - get some scales and weigh things. You know when you finish your cereal and theres a bit left over at the end .. that's a full portion.

Diets are designed not to be sustainable - this keeps the company in business. You have to make lifetime changes

All fad diets are calorie control and don't fix your eating issues

If you are losing weight on a fad diet - it is working for you because it is controling your calories- there isn't some macro magic bullet

You can eat too little - It's a hard one to take in - but a biggie ... but dont use it as an excuse to eat too much.

Piging out once a week as a treat - you will fail (calories)

Fast food makes you want more food (sugar)

You don't need to cut down on fast food (Burgers, Pizzas, fried food) you should NEVER eat them - people did just fine for millions of years without burgers

Thats right - look at fast food ads on the TV like they are asking you to lick the urinal at your local bar

Since the 70s people are fatter - back in those days you couldn't buy much fast food or food outside working hours - think about it!

When you see bad food, don't crave think to how sick and fatty you will feel after you have eaten it - I love battered fish and chips - never eat it because I think how greased up I will feel after

It is NOTexpensive to eat healthy

Make food yourself from base ingriedients. Ready meals .. I refer you back to how to think about fast food

Muscle is more imortant than cardio - muscle eats fat for breakfast

You are not happy fat

Your metabolism is no slower than the next guys or gals

You never need to eat chocolate or crisps, etc.

There isn't a ripped muscly person underneath all your fat - muscle takes years to build, toned people aint lucky - they work their *kitten*' off

Likewise if you are female do not be afraid of weight training - you are not going to turn into a hulk overnight

If you are still a bit saggy you aint lost enough

BMI is rubbish for many justifiable technical reasons - but in your case it's probably spot on

Sex is awesome when you aint fat.

Healthy people don't eat much (compared to you)

3 or 4 hours exercise a week makes a massive difference - Anyone can spare 3 or 4 hours a week

Fat people encourage people to be fat. Correct weight people are good to be around

Food does not make you happy or cure all your problems. Stop whining, we all have problems, sort out your problems directly - not with food

If you have a positive relationship with food and work on it a lot you aren't obsessed - trust me to be fat, that is obsession

Feel free to add......

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    I agree. Except I think cardio is quite important (think about how much we are designed to move around vs how much the average couch potato actually does). And there is plenty of evidence that dark chocolate is positively good for you. It's the sweet cr*p cadburys and hershey etc try to sell us as chocolate that's not.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    Very true about how much people eat. People always tell me I eat almost nothing. I eat exactly the amount humans are meant to eat.
  • Silver14
    Silver14 Posts: 141
    Options
    Great post! Everything well said and true!

(well... Except for me I'm pretty sure I DO have really slow metabolism from my anorexia. I gain so easily and train ever days -.-)

Also!

Just because you eat a diet coke with that burger and fries, doesn't make those calories matter any less.
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    I agree with most of these.

However, muscle doesn't burn that many calories at rest, and cardio burns far more calories than strength training or a muscled person resting.

Also, metabolisms have a significant and thus far unaccounted for variance. Organs account for most of RMR, and non-organ lean mass and fat mass account for another small chunk, but there is a good bit of variance remaining that isn't explained yet.
  • amanda3588
    amanda3588 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I get what you're trying to prove, but mostly you come off as a stereotypical jerk.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I agree with 99% of this. What a great post about keeping people accountable for their actions. Kudos to you!

The only thing I have a concern about:

I believe a healthy lifestyle is about balance. I go out to eat with my husband and allow myself 1 meal a week to eat w/e I want without thinking too much about the calories. Saying that, most of the time my meal is not over 1000 calories and it is not an all day event. So I really agree with this statement but I think it could be misinterpreted. I think an occasional high cal meal is fine but pigging out...hell no. So yeah, your right...haha

I also think there is room for sweets but again...in moderation. I cant imagine going the rest of my life without eating ice cream or cake but it shouldn't be an every day occurrence. IMO once a week is fine but it shouldn't be a whole gallon of ice cream or a 2000 calorie dessert. A little serving or even a low cal alternatives is reasonable.

I am struggling with my husbands "all or nothing" attitude about food lately. Its not about giving things up, its about replacing them with better options and eating other certain things moderation. It shouldn't be a "you cant have..." attitude. I focus on "this is type of food is great for you and we are going to limit these...."

Just my 2 cents :)
  • m60kaf
    Options
    I get what you're trying to prove, but mostly you come off as a stereotypical jerk.

denial
  • m60kaf
    Options
    I believe a healthy lifestyle is about balance. I go out to eat with my husband and allow myself 1 meal a week to eat w/e I want without thinking too much about the calories. Saying that, most of the time my meal is not over 1000 calories and it is not an all day event. So I really agree with this statement but I think it could be misinterpreted. I think an occasional high cal meal is fine but pigging out...hell no. So yeah, your right...haha

I also think there is room for sweets but again...in moderation. I cant imagine going the rest of my life without eating ice cream or cake but it shouldn't be an every day occurrence. IMO once a week is fine but it shouldn't be a whole gallon of ice cream or a 2000 calorie dessert. A little serving or even a low cal alternatives is reasonable.

I am struggling with my husbands "all or nothing" attitude about food lately. Its not about giving things up, its about replacing them with better options and eating other certain things moderation. It shouldn't be a "you cant have..." attitude. I focus on "this is type of food is great for you and we are going to limit these...."

Just my 2 cents :)

Yeah I agree - I think I'm coming from the I've undereaten 500 cals a day all week. I've been so good I can have a 3000 cal takeaway with a desert to - then don't understand why I can't lose weight

Definitely about a little of what you like within your calorie goals
  • m60kaf
    Options
    I agree. Except I think cardio is quite important (think about how much we are designed to move around vs how much the average couch potato actually does). And there is plenty of evidence that dark chocolate is positively good for you. It's the sweet cr*p cadburys and hershey etc try to sell us as chocolate that's not.

Yeah I mean if you are going to weight train or cardio for weight loss - weights are probably more effective. But, no doubting cardio is good.

Yeah I've heard plain chocolate is good - it's a bit bitter though isn't it
  • RobynDCrossman
    Options
    "If you are still a bit saggy you aint lost enough"

How is that plausible? My skin is saggy because I was large before.
    I was nice and tight when I was heavy. LOL.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    You said it Mister :) Great post! :)
  • Silver14
    Silver14 Posts: 141
    Options
    "If you are still a bit saggy you aint lost enough"

How is that plausible? My skin is saggy because I was large before.
    I was nice and tight when I was heavy. LOL.

Good point! :)
  • Rikki_Sixx
    Rikki_Sixx Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Great post, completely agree with all of these. I've read positive things about having a "cheat day" once a week, what makes you disagree with that? Not picking an argument, just want to know which track to follow! Maybe I should stop using something I read in a book as an excuse to eat badly once a week...

I'm particularly bad for not recording my drinks (especially tea / coffee, unless I buy them) and not weighing things, but I've been trying to remember to do both the latter half of this week. Its amazing how greedy my eyes are - my portions are huge!
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I agree with most, especially the one about people who use food as an escape for problems. As much as I love food, I know that binging when I'm down is just being stupid. I force myself to work out when I have problems/depressed.
  • Ronaldblue
    Ronaldblue Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am losing weight by just hitting my calories and macros and I sometimes eat things like Chipotle, Hardee's and Ritter's Frozen Custard.... How is indulging on a "cheat" bad? Eat something you love and savor and fit it into your macros....

Too many assumptions in your post
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    Everything is debatable. I did not follow all of your "rules" and I met my goal and then some. I eat pizza, sometimes I indulge in "cheat" meals, I eat chocolate, and I do way more cardio than weights (cardio is good for your heart, mister!). My point is that everyone can find their own ways to be successful. There is no one way about it.

I do appreciate the purpose of your post but you might try being a little less condescending towards people if you want them to take you seriously.
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options

However, muscle doesn't burn that many calories at rest, and cardio burns far more calories than strength training or a muscled person resting.

Also, metabolisms have a significant and thus far unaccounted for variance. Organs account for most of RMR, and non-organ lean mass and fat mass account for another small chunk, but there is a good bit of variance remaining that isn't explained yet.

^^ I was just going to post this.

Cardio is GREAT for burning fat, and everybody has a different metabolism. That's just a duh.

I am anti-cheat day as well, though. ONE cheat BITE, maybe. But one cheat day a meal can really screw things up for me mentally and in the long-run. :( Personal preference, though!
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I love the "lick the urinal" line. I'm absolutely going to use that. ;D
  • sunnymel126
    sunnymel126 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I love the honesty. Great post!
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options

^^ I was just going to post this.

Cardio is GREAT for burning fat, and everybody has a different metabolism. That's just a duh.

I am anti-cheat day as well, though. ONE cheat BITE, maybe. But one cheat day a meal can really screw things up for me mentally and in the long-run. :( Personal preference, though!

ummmm -- yes strength training burns a lot of calories. Its the after burn when you are done lifting where it burns the most where as for cardio you are burning during