I do not want to see another post about someone's grammar!

Options
12345679»

Replies

• KC4800
    KC4800 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Lose, loose, loss.

That is all all.

I am at a loss as to why people complain that their clothes are too loose after they lose weight.

Did I pass?
  • nymthiriel
    nymthiriel Posts: 42
    Options
    Seriously though, when my mother posts on my Facebook page saying, "omg i had no idea u wer in a flud," it really embarrasses me. In this day and age, the internet is so fully ingrained into our lives that it is still a representation of who you are. You shouldn't spell like a 14 year old girl who just got her first cell phone.
  • Geeky_Girl
    Geeky_Girl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    U no wen I c posts leik dis i qet al hott n bothurd n it jus pizzs me off cos u no it makes u sund lyke unejukatd yo. Peez!

Lol, love this!
  • DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    But, aren't we all here to educate ourselves and become better people? Maybe the central theme is weight loss, but that entails learning about nutrition and physiology (scientific literacy anyone?) and is embedded within the pursuit of better health, happiness, and respect. The ability to express oneself as a literate adult fits into these goals. I try not to judge people who lack this ability, since I have no way of knowing why they struggle with writing - but to me, the meaning of 'support' is willingness to help people improve themselves as people.

I did not join MFP to be complacent and demand that others respect and support me for the attributes that I had when I started - I'm here to make myself a better person, and see 'support' as anything that aids this process.
    This X 2.

In pursuing my degree, in classes filled with people from ages 20 through 50+, we were required to work in teams and a good portion of our grade relied on a good team effort. Many of our assignments were research-based thesis writing. In my team was a young man, in his 30s I believe, whose first submission to our team paper needed reworking. I was the team editor that week, so I submitted my suggestions for his section.

To his credit, he called me directly and told me his concerns. He gained my respect that way. I assured him that his concepts were stellar, but they were hidden by the way he presented them. He accepted my suggestions, reworked the submission, and did a great job. Over the next twenty weeks, no matter who was editor, we all remained very plain-spoken with one another and pushed each other to do our best.

When we graduated, that young man came to me and hugged me in thanks. He said in all the time he spent in high school, nobody had bothered to correct him. He literally had no idea he had been making all these errors all these years. In the business world, he would not have the success he wanted if he couldn't write well, and he recognized that. His feeling was that nobody in his school life or his personal interactions felt he was worth correcting so he could learn.

So when I correct somebody, which I do sometimes but never with a rude or condescending tone, please understand that I am showing you that I believe you are worth correcting - not that I feel you are deficient in any way.

I think I was more proud of that young man than I was of the degree I earned. :flowerforyou:
  • LeggyKettleBabe
    LeggyKettleBabe Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    the whole premise of this post is RETARDED:flowerforyou:
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Lose, loose, loss.

That is all all.

I am at a loss as to why people complain that their clothes are too loose after they lose weight.

Did I pass?

Baha YES!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I am quiet distressed that we as a society are far too tolerant of the inability of people to articulate themselves in the most BASIC fashion. why is it wrong to expect adults to be able to spell correctly and use good grammar?

Being able to spell and use grammar correctly does not require a college education nor a phD.

For goodness sake, even the most basic computers have a grammar and spell checker built in. Perhaps the deeper truth is the worrying combination of both laziness and a lack of basic literacy skills.

It's one thing if English isn't a first language, or if there are learning disabilities ,but this is a pitiful 1st world problem.
  • jennismagic
    jennismagic Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I am quiet distressed that we as a society are far too tolerant of the inability of people to articulate themselves in the most BASIC fashion. why is it wrong to expect adults to be able to spell correctly and use good grammar?

being able to spell and use grammar correctly does not require a college education nor a phD.

for goodness sake, even the most basic computers have a grammar and spell checker built in. Perhaps the deeper truth is the worrying combination of both laziness and a lack basic literacy skills.

I find it hilarious that you're complaining about poor grammar while using poor grammar.
  • FitnessSista
    FitnessSista Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I should put my cards on the table, and say that I have only ever corrected grammar and spelling when someone is already behaving like an arrogant prat. If you're going to act like a know it all, if you're going to be hostile and aggressive, then you need to be prepared to take what's coming to you.

I'm dyslexic myself, and I know that it can be a struggle, writing in this kind of forum. I don't like the bullying of people who clearly are having genuine difficulty with their written English, and I would never engage in that. People in the above category, and those who only write in txt speak ... well that's a different matter entirely.

However, I also don't start pious threads, touting my blessed Christian status, telling everybody else on the internet how to behave.

Peace, and all that.

Peace my Sister! I am sorry that u are angered by my post. It was not my intention. If u have been offended, maybe I could have chosen my words more carefully. My major professor in grad school shared something,with me that I will never forget,"nobody knows how u feel but u." If u feel angered by my words, I'm sorry. As u can see imma big girl and saying sorry comes easy for me. It's years of advocacy training that makes me do as I do!
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options

being able to spell and use grammar correctly does not require a college education nor a phD.

for goodness sake, even the most basic computers have a grammar and spell checker built in. Perhaps the deeper truth is the worrying combination of both laziness and a lack basic literacy skills.

I find it hilarious that you're complaining about poor grammar while using poor grammar.

Bully! Pot, kettle, pot!

I kid.
  • jennismagic
    Options
    Seriously though, when my mother posts on my Facebook page saying, "omg i had no idea u wer in a flud," it really embarrasses me. In this day and age, the internet is so fully ingrained into our lives that it is still a representation of who you are. You shouldn't spell like a 14 year old girl who just got her first cell phone.

I wouldn't mind seeing someone correct another person's grammar if they weren't a complete horse's behind about it. I think people should let it go, because we all have our faults, and people know good and damn well that they don't want others to hassle them over their shortcomings.

Some people may fail at using grammar, but others fail at employing common sense and basic human decency.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

Would you care to point out the grammar issues? I see colloquialisms appropriate to the context, a common typo, and obviously a lack of capitalisation, which I presume is a consequence of using a touchscreen. I'm not sure I see startling grammar problems? Perhaps though your standards of internet writing are higher than my own.
  • kansasbelle
    kansasbelle Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I work with the the disabled community and had special accomadations through graduate school do to ADHD and Dyslexia. I won the award for my literature class and failed my grammer spelling class. Ironically I am published several times also. The "Grammer/Spelling" Police wouldn't go up to someone in a wheel chair and say stand up. They wouldn't tell a hearing impaired person I will not speak up so you can hear me better, yet you have no problem calling people out who are already traumatized due to their letters jumbling and make them feel awful about themselves because yes, little kids can spell and use the proper spelling of a word. Wow, those little kids are lucky that they didn't write completely backwords, or don;t have to read the same paragraph 10 times to gleen the same knowledge, or fail scan tron test because you can't fill in the right bubble, but if given the same test orally get a 100%.

Stop making me afraid to post because my opinion to you is not valuable if it is not spell checked.
  • jennismagic
    Options

Bully! Pot, kettle, pot!

I kid.

:D
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I am a journalist, therefore I do get paid for the quality of my grammar, but I am also frequently drunk.

Also "their" not "there".

Peace out.
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Grammar police = bully. Try to be kind.

There are bullies on both sides of the fence.
  • ninelives58
    ninelives58 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I even saw one post in a thread here where a woman said that she doesn't understand how come those who can't differentiate their, there, they're have graduated from college. Truly an insult.

How is that an insult? How does a person get through high school, let alone college, without having things like that ingrained? I'm a fine arts major and I have to take at least four English classes, two history classes, and I don't even know how many other classes that require basic writing skills. When instructors correct spelling and grammar, how does a person not learn? It's not an insult, it's something I genuinely do not understand.

I agreed, though replace art with Medical billing. Personally, if I can get the just of what they are saying, then cool. If not I will ask them to rephrase, or ignore them. It is better to be kind than to jugde...

I will might try to help.
    Their= referring to people ... like... Their with the volleyball team
    There= referring to a place ... like... I moved the truck there, yesterday
    They're= used in replace of they are... like... They're too many people, who are picky about everyone else's writing styles.

Check your last example...

Fixed it, and a few others... sorry. English wasn't my major.:flowerforyou:

I am not a grammar Nazi, even though it's hard because I work as an editor. I agree that this is not really the place for that kind of instruction. However, if you're going to step up and give the instruction, at least make it correct. Sorry, but your examples are incorrect. Their is possessive, as in "We drove their truck to the volleyball game." Your example should have been "They're with the volleyball team." Without the conjunction, it would be "They are with the volleyball team." And the last example, that should have been "There are too many people . . .". Correct use of they're would have been "They're picky about writing styles and are going to pick apart your posts!"
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Stupid /= "writing style"

This is a website. We communicate through text. It is common sense and a courtesy to try your best to make yourself understood. I rarely see people attack simple bad grammar (otherwise my sentences could be RIPPED APART), people only attack people who write text speak or full on ebonics or things like that.

If you can't manage to spell out simple words (or use spell check) or form a sentence that people can understand, find another means of support. If you have some kind of disability and can't write, find another means of support. If you are too lazy to writte out a full word, find another means of support.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I am a journalist, therefore I do get paid for the quality of my grammar, but I am also frequently drunk.

Also "their" not "there".

Peace out.

Even drunk, I've never seen you use u, m8.
  • Scott
    Scott Posts: 204 MFP Staff
    Options
    Topic locked for several reasons.

First, this post was created in violation of the MyFitnessPal guideline:
    2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic within a forum topic. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are disrespectful. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

Secondly the post has completely derailed into an attack and insult fest which is against guideline number 1:
    1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

Please not the bolded section. We appreciate your cooperation and understanding. This post may be deleted at any time.

Cheers,
    Scott
    MyFitnessPal Staff
This discussion has been closed.