Do NOT skip out on a meal!

Options

Replies

• Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    ....drink tons of water! It's a natural diuretic and flushes all sorts of toxins from your system.

Now I am confused....I thought a diuretic is something that removes water from the body. How can drinking water remove water from the body? And I also thought the liver was the only thing that removed toxins from the body. I would be educated on these points, please.

Drinking water makes you pee therefore your getting rid of more water than the water you drank. Actually drink a beer and see how much you pee.

That's because the alcohol acts as a diuretic...not the water. If you drink water, you pee LESS, not more because your body utilizes more of the water.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I skip breakfast and snack and only eat between noon and 8. Still losing. I'm pretty sure the lean gains website has links to research showing that intermittent fasting has actually been shown to help speed up metabolism. I'd look it up for you, but I don't really care. Just wanted to add my two cents that skipping a meal isn't going to do the dramatic damage you are suggesting.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    sure sometimes I skip a meal or two but that just means a larger meal later on in the day

^ This is essentially a good logical way to look at how Intermittent Fasting works and one of the reasons why for SOME people, it's a nice method. You're saving your calories so that you can have a big meal or two instead of a bunch of little meals.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    People, please don't listen to this nonsense.
    A caloric deficit is how people lose weight, if you gained weight you were inaccurately counting calories. Plain and simple.
    There sure were tons of people in the holocaust who were still fat from starvation mode, or what about those starving kids on the world vision commercials...total fatties!

Gimme a break with the eat 2-3 hours every day small meal crap, the reason people lose weight doing that is because AT THE END OF THE DAY YOU ARE IN A CALORIC DEFICIT!

People choose their 'diets' around their lifestyle, I have lost 80 pounds and I have been able to eat popcorn, ice cream and hamburgers, etc and fit them into my daily caloric totals all while not eating breakfast! OH NO! **SARCASM ALERT**

You should probably do a little more research before preaching BS weight loss gospel on MFP.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    I skip breakfast and snack and only eat between noon and 8. Still losing. I'm pretty sure the lean gains website has links to research showing that intermittent fasting has actually been shown to help speed up metabolism. I'd look it up for you, but I don't really care. Just wanted to add my two cents that skipping a meal isn't going to do the dramatic damage you are suggesting.

^ Correct, and I already posted the links above, from leangains.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    first I was like :huh:
    then i was like :noway:
    and then I lol'd
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    If I posted some peer reviewed research that strongly suggests that you are wrong, would you read it and moreover are you open minded enough to consider changing your position on this?

I would be really interested in reading it. -

Me too!!

See my first reply on page two.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

^ Correct, and I already posted the links above, from leangains.

Thank you! Figured someone would be on that!
  • nlhill79
    nlhill79 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Got it! Thanks for posting. I am reading it all right now. I was ALWAYS told to eat breakfast, but for real.. I don't ever feel like eating breakfast. I HATE eating in the morning. It's aggravating. If I have to consume something I just like water. I don't even understand why I hate it so much. I think I just don't like chewing anything in the morning. I thought I was just weird. And I also was told that was going to make it to where I couldn't lose weight. :(
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    Got it! Thanks for posting. I am reading it all right now. I was ALWAYS told to eat breakfast, but for real.. I don't ever feel like eating breakfast. I HATE eating in the morning. It's aggravating. If I have to consume something I just like water. I don't even understand why I hate it so much. I think I just don't like chewing anything in the morning. I thought I was just weird. And I also was told that was going to make it to where I couldn't lose weight. :(

For you specifically, I would try skipping breakfast for a week or so. BE SURE to eat all your calories by end of day so that you're still eating the same total amount of food as you are now, just don't eat breakfast and eat those calories later. See how you enjoy it. You'll probably love it.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I wish I had the problem of NOT eating enough calories or skipping meals. :(
  • Pomoch325
    Pomoch325 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Drink water, pee LESS?? What?!

The liver is not the only organ that rids the body of toxins, ask anybody in renal failure.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options

For you specifically, I would try skipping breakfast for a week or so. BE SURE to eat all your calories by end of day so that you're still eating the same total amount of food as you are now, just don't eat breakfast and eat those calories later. See how you enjoy it. You'll probably love it.

And remember, this can go hand in hand with eating calories late. Just as you don't need to eat breakfast, you are totally fine to eat as late as you like, all provided you stay within your limits :)
  • SmartWhatever
    SmartWhatever Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I skip meals all the time. I didn't eat lunch today- I had 2 cups of tea. And I'm not in starvation mode and I consistantly lose weight ever week whether I skip a meal or not.
  • Jotell
    Jotell Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thank you EVERYONE for all of your great responses! I will be taking notes of everything and taking them with me to the nutritionists I will be seeing tomorrow as part of my class project. SideSteal, if it is alright with you, there was another post you had done with the Don't and Does Not. Would you be ok with my copying that information down as well?
    This has been a great experiment for me to see who has what opinions! Thank you everyone for adding your advice and opinions!
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    Thank you EVERYONE for all of your great responses! I will be taking notes of everything and taking them with me to the nutritionists I will be seeing tomorrow as part of my class project. SideSteal, if it is alright with you, there was another post you had done with the Don't and Does Not. Would you be ok with my copying that information down as well?
    This has been a great experiment for me to see who has what opinions! Thank you everyone for adding your advice and opinions!

You can use any of the posts I have written. Some of them are pure smart-assery on my part though. I'm not sure which post you are referring to.
  • Jotell
    Options
    Yo lighten the f**k up.. Dumba$$

To who are you referring to kind sir?
  • kris4chloe
    kris4chloe Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    In my opinion it is not the skipped meal that is the problem. It is what you do with the rest of them.

When I was 100 lbs heavier I regularly skipped breakfast in an effort to "save calories" but then would just succumb to a binge later because I got to hungry.

Some people are able to skip breakfast and eat a sensible meal or couple meals later one.

Some people are able to eat smaller meals every few hours and spread out their calories.

Or some people as myself skip a meal here and there, or eat every couple hours on other days, or eat lighter at breakfast to save up for a bigger lunch. But in the long run what matters is that I get in my alloted calories.

I am sorry but I really have a hard time believing it when someone says they are stuffed and can't eat another calorie? When I try to eat lower fat, lower calorie items I am full for a bit, but hungry pretty quickly. If I make sure to get some good fat and protein then I am satisfied for a longer time but the calorie count is typically higher.

Be honest, no one ended up here because they ate the appropriate calories every day, we are here because we didn't pay attention to what we were eating and/or how much we were eating.

My 2 cents. :)
  • Jotell
    Options

You can use any of the posts I have written. Some of them are pure smart-assery on my part though. I'm not sure which post you are referring to.

Don't worry, I will take out all of the smart *kitten* comments :) Luckily for you I don't become offended easily. You have some great information, and I would love to know how you came about all this knowledge! Have you studied nutrition and body training?
  • mrschappet
    mrschappet Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I take things out of context sometimes

hhhhhhmmmm and you want me to take your advice WHY? ... just sayin ;-)