Let the bloodbath begin....

Options

Replies

• jkleon86
    jkleon86 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    If you can get your heart rate up or work some muscle whats wrong with cleaning. I know some that log as heavy vigerous cleaning but to me what is heavy and vigerous in dusting ,sweeping running the sweeper or mopping?? I would log it as light.
    But the way I see it if one wants to lie to themselves they ONLY hurt themselves.
    Also if one mows grass a pass or to then rest for 15 min then another couple swipes rest 15 min. then finish uo 4 hours later and logs 4 hours mowing grass counting breaks and all they only hurt themselves, I don't worry though about others I am worried to much about me right now,:tongue:
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    ah.... this. again.
    yeah, I don't get why people get so amped up that they have to bash other people either.
    it's the inter-webs people, just do what works for you.
  • timmymon
    timmymon Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Somebody should make a cleaning exercise DVD series. I think it would be a hit!
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    haha, chores are so NOT a part of my daily routine.

I work full time and go to school full time.
    In the school holidays is usually the only time I have to clean my room which will usually take some 5+ hours. I use my HRM, put some music on, wiggle away and my HRM says that I burn 1000+ calories so why shouldn't I log it? It makes me sweat for sure.

1000 calories?? 5+ hours?? Dang.
  • bpetlock
    bpetlock Posts: 109
    Options
    I think logging clean or walking ur dog, stuff like tht is like a sorry excuse for exercise. Cleaning & walking is part of daily life. It something we all do.

Some people don't even walk that's new to them. Some people are sedentary and barely walk from their couch to the mailbox. So for them it's exercise. I guess in the same way so can chores.

That topic was my topic from before if I'm correct. The one about cleaning. I just didn't know if that was something that people counted as exercise. It hadn't even occured to me that that could be exercise. But someone said in that forum that if you lead a sedentary lifestyle then yes, cleaning would be exercise.

I think we've all forgotten that exercise was daily routine things back in the day. Nobody jogged or rode their bike just to do it for exercise, they had a destination becuase they couldn't drive into town. It's no secret that things have changed drastically in the last 100 years, I think it's just changed so much that we forget! LIFE used to be exercise!
  • EvilPink
    EvilPink Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I think people need to mind their own business, lol. I mean, what issue is it of their's if someone wants to log that they vacuumed for 15 minutes?

I personally don't usually log chores unless I'm spring cleaning or going above and beyond my normal and even then only if I work up a sweat and get out of breath, which sometimes I actually do because I'll move furniture to sweep and mop under/behind the couch, TV stand, etc. Moving all that crap around in every room of the house IS a serious work out every few months.

I think another thing people don't think about is that a lot of folks feel that MFP greatly over-estimates calories burned. I know some people who will log doing a "menial" chore for 30 minutes when in reality, they walked a brisk pace around the neighborhood but they do it because the chore is lower calories so they feel like they're getting a more accurate count. Just because an exercise is listed doesn't mean that's what they actually did. Some people aren't tech saavy and know how to enter their own calorie counts so it's easier to find a small chore already in the database than to figure out their own and add it in.

So many reasons why people can and do log chores but again, it all comes back to it's no one else's business. Plain and simple. I do not understand why people feel the need to take it upon themselves to be the MFP exercise police.
  • Mceastes
    Mceastes Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I get what you're saying OP, that you don't have to be on a treadmill or lifting dumbbells to be exercising. I agree with that, but I guess for me it would depend on the activity. If I was moving furniture, scrubbing floors and sweating, then I would log it. But I'm not going to log vacuuming the living room or just doing the dishes. To your point about previous generations, a hundred years ago chores meant that you had to take your clothes to the river and really scrub for hours or chop wood or walk 2 miles to retrieve a lost cow or something, so that's way more strenuous stuff. Given what little energy we must exert to clean anymore, the housework would have to be some serious activity and leave me hot and sweaty for me to log it so I personally don't.

Having said that, if doing the dishes makes YOU sweaty, then YOU can log it. Ask yourself if it's the right thing to do and go with it. At the end of the day, you only have to answer to yourself. If your goals don't get met, then perhaps you need to reevaluate the process.

If what you're doing works for you, then don't listen to people who tell you that you're doing it wrong. There's some bad info. floating around here. And I'm all for a good debate, but some people just get too worked up or downright mean on the boards. When that happens, I'm just not willing to listen to them anymore.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Here's my thought on logging chores and the like:

MFP set up your calorie intake for you, based on your height, weight, and activity level. From there, you log exercise and food intake. The way I see it, chores are part of your activity level- you would do them regardless of if you were losing weight or not. Sure, some days you might walk around downtown for a couple hours or do a thorough cleaning of the house, but other days you might just watch TV for 12 hours. It eventually will even itself out, and your activity level is just an estimate for your average day. So I'm personally of the belief that unless you're intentionally doing it for exercise, it shouldn't be logged as exercise. Make sense?

On a more practical note, logging things like window shopping and light cleaning can very easily lead you to overestimate your calorie burned, meaning you eat more calories and then eat into your deficit, slowing your weight loss. I get we all want to burn lots of lots of calories, but in the long run I find it to be more detrimental than helpful to log non-exercises.
  • bpetlock
    Options
    Can you get a gold medal in Toilet Bowl scrubbing?

Olympic Toilet Bowl Scrubbing is the new sport this summer. Or is it the one that they canceled. I don't remember.
  • Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    This websites calculations are wrong, every other websites calculations are wrong, your heart rate monitor is wrong, it is impossible to figure out how many calories you actually burn though any reasonable means. We have formulas because they get reasonably close, close enough for us to figure out on our own what level of calories causes weight gain/loss. This is why we have so many different opinions on here, a lot are blatantly wrong but people follow them because they "work". Lets assume the calorie intake is really close for you, if you set it at 2 LBS a week it is a 1000 calorie deficit, that gives you a lot of room to screw up a hell of a lot of things and still be in weight loss range. So logging small things like that and focusing on it that much is really just hurting yourself.

The reason I came here was to say that back in the day people also did 14+ hours of manual labor, weight lifted, all sorts of real physical activities. Don't compare heavy work on a farm, in a factory, building a damn pyramid or whatever else to daily chores we have now. They didn't stay in shape from pushing a broom around for 15 minutes. People have been competing in physical events since, well basically forever across all different kinds of populations. I really don't know where you got the idea that chores are what kept people in shape before commercial gyms. I should also mention things like wars back in the day, savagely killing other men all day long burns a few calories as well.

That being said, I couldn't care less what other people log or don't log. If you want to set it to sedentary and log small things, then fine. Only came here to point out that chores are not the reasons the Greeks built statues of human beings. Oh, and don't be so strict when doing so is near impossible unless you have everything dialed in for your own body.
  • bpetlock
    Options
    This websites calculations are wrong, every other websites calculations are wrong, your heart rate monitor is wrong, it is impossible to figure out how many calories you actually burn though any reasonable means. We have formulas because they get reasonably close, close enough for us to figure out on our own what level of calories causes weight gain/loss. This is why we have so many different opinions on here, a lot are blatantly wrong but people follow them because they "work". Lets assume the calorie intake is really close for you, if you set it at 2 LBS a week it is a 1000 calorie deficit, that gives you a lot of room to screw up a hell of a lot of things and still be in weight loss range. So logging small things like that and focusing on it that much is really just hurting yourself.

The reason I came here was to say that back in the day people also did 14+ hours of manual labor, weight lifted, all sorts of real physical activities. Don't compare heavy work on a farm, in a factory, building a damn pyramid or whatever else to daily chores we have now. They didn't stay in shape from pushing a broom around for 15 minutes. People have been competing in physical events since, well basically forever across all different kinds of populations. I really don't know where you got the idea that chores are what kept people in shape before commercial gyms. I should also mention things like wars back in the day, savagely killing other men all day long burns a few calories as well.

That being said, I couldn't care less what other people log or don't log. If you want to set it to sedentary and log small things, then fine. Only came here to point out that chores are not the reasons the Greeks built statues of human beings. Oh, and don't be so strict when doing so is near impossible unless you have everything dialed in for your own body.

I think as recent as the early 20th century people were doing chores to keep themselves fit. Not that they were purposely doing them to stay fit just that by default they were physically fit. Women who were house wives did laundry and vacuumed and took care of children etc and there was not really an obesity problem in the world as there is today. Times are different and we have things like dishwashers and washing machines and back then men had to mow the lawn with mowers without motors, etc. So I see where you are coming from on this. I personally think it's interesting though that now we have to find activities to lose weight or stay in shape because we don't do as strenuous work because we invented these things to make our lives easier. It's kind of ironic isn't it? Now instead of doing strenuous work in our everyday lives we have to do fitness routines that keep us in shape. It's really interesting to think of it like that.
  • manhn1
    manhn1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    A similar example, if I was at a party and saw someone eat a cupcake, would I come to that person and tell them they should eat an apple? Hell no!

However, if this person came up to me and asked whether she could count that cupcake as part of her fruit intake because there was strawberry flavouring, I would make my opinion known.

So, if someone was logging whatever their activities were, and people started criticizing the person about what they were logging, then I would tell these folks to back off.

But when the person asks a question in the forum, they should expect some people who will voice a dissenting opinion. It should not be viewed as being "judgmental."

Of course, the problem lies with the fact that for the people who do log everything but didn't make the specific post, they may feel that they are being judged.

Not sure what the solution is.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

So, if someone was logging whatever their activities were, and people started criticizing the person about what they were logging, then I would tell these folks to back off.

So if someone was interfering in somebody's business without being asked, you would respond by .... Interfering in somebody's business without being asked?
  • manhn1
    manhn1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    So if someone was interfering in somebody's business without being asked, you would respond by .... Interfering in somebody's business without being asked?

Yes, me saying "Stop interfering in this person's business" is so hypocritical and evil!!!

If the original poster wanted me to stop, then I would. But until then, if I think someone is being unfairly attacked/criticized, I'll attempt to defend.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

Yes, me saying "Stop interfering in this person's business" is so hypocritical and evil!!!

If the original poster wanted me to stop, then I would. But until then, if I think someone is being unfairly attacked/criticized, I'll attempt to defend.
    yeah sorry I was just being a bit flippant, didn't mean any harm
  • deadgirl81
    deadgirl81 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I work full time (sat at a desk for the majority of the day, so my "movement" is fairly sedantary), I walk to work (I include that as my exercise) I also include my 2 hours of walking round a supermarket once a week, doing my shopping - yes I know it takes a long time, but I'm walking round with my Dad and he doesnt go that quickly anymore, besides, I get to spend a couple of hours with him extra a week!

I do my cleaning on a weekend, we have a 3 storey house, so yes, I am going to log the cleaning because it does take a long time to do - especially when you're hoovering the 2 flights of stairs and having to manouvre the hoover up with you .

I also log my "walking upstairs" every day, when I'm at work and at home - I'm a smoker (Yes I know - spawn of all evil :glasses: ) and I smoke outside, so everytime I want a smoke, I go up or down a flight or 2 of stairs. And sometimes, when no-ones around at work, I will run up the stairs to get my heart going a bit more.

If people want to log those sort of "exercise" then why shouldnt they - it all counts, does it not? And not everyone will eat back those calories they've earnt! :flowerforyou:
  • janemem
    janemem Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    My activity level is set to sedentary so I log most physical activity. Some days I don't do any exercise so I log nothing but other days, like yesterday, I logged because I walked 4 miles @ 3.5mph, I mowed the lawn, I clipped the hedge, I loaded/unloaded/hung out 3 wash loads, I ironed those 3 wash loads so yes, of course I logged it.
    So far today I'm still in bed but have been to the loo twice and made 3 cups of tea. Have I logged that? Of course not.
    I very rarely eat back my exercise calories but I like to log it just so I know I'm doing something and that if I were to go over my 1200 daily cal's then I know I've got some in the reserve tank, so to speak.
    Would I comment negatively on someone else's logging of exercise? Never in a million years. I have taken my exercise off my news feed because I was being critisied by an MFP 'friend' when I logged cooking because I'd been baking bread, all that kneading was definitely worth logging in my opinion but what difference does it make to someone else??
    BTW I'm 111 and losing all the time so I'll carry on logging my cleaning, shopping, lifting, cooking and dog walking thank you very much. :tongue: :laugh:
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I don’t care, to be honest just cannot give enough of a **** to care if someone else logs cleaning as an exercise or not. But people you need to chill.
    People get all upset if you do log the hours spent cleaning, and at the same time the same people get all up in your face if you don’t log the 5 grapes you may have pinched off the cheese board. If the extra few calories from a few stolen grapes make so much difference to how fast they lose weight, then so would the extra few calories they have used cleaning their house.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I don’t care, to be honest just cannot give enough of a **** to care if someone else logs cleaning as an exercise or not. But people you need to chill.
    People get all upset if you do log the hours spent cleaning, and at the same time the same people get all up in your face if you don’t log the 5 grapes you may have pinched off the cheese board. If the extra few calories from a few stolen grapes make so much difference to how fast they lose weight, then so would the extra few calories they have used cleaning their house.

I don't care what they log, but I consider logging certain everyday, ordinary-exertion activities to be a form of denial. It's not adequate. An obese woman once told me that her "exercise" was grooming a horse.

If you need to lose weight you have to engage in vigorous exercise several times a week, preferably, five to six times a week, plain and simple.

All the rest is dumbing down.

When i'm logging religiously, I do include those grapes
  • IcassI
    IcassI Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    For me I choose to let other "physical activities" like cleaning, walking my dog around the block etc. as extra. These are activities that I do all the time and they aren't for losing weight or staying fit. I specifically work out for that and I log those calories only. But really to each their own, however, I think they may be cheating themselves since MFP overestimates calories as it is.