Thoughts on Diet Coke

Options

Replies

• Dare2BThin
    Dare2BThin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I prefer diet pespi but will drink diet coke Im down to one a day with lunch..I also drink tons of water too
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    It's just crap.

Ignoring the health stuff - fizzy drinks are so bad for teeth. Why not just have fresh juice instead or concentrate?
    It's sugar that's bad for the teeth not the fizz. And juice has more sugar than many other sodas.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Don't drink pop (soda) that much maybe once or twice on the weekends. But other than that it is so calorie consuming from just one can
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I am into optimal health, and Diet Coke is not it.
    Green tea is healthier. No debate.
    We don't know what these diet sodas really do to our bodies long term, and I'll take my changes with green tea over some processed soda laced with chemicals.
    Maybe they're harmless though....:noway:
    Good luck....
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I use diet coke to strip the finish off of my golf clubs (wedges). The stuff literally eats off the finish......it's better than CLR.

In terms of drinking it, see what I just said.
    So will baking soda, but apparently it's okay to ingest. The hydrochloric acid in your stomach obliterates the fizz in any soft drink.

IDEA Fitness member
  • m16shane
    m16shane Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Moderation!!!

For me their need to be a balance in life. Be healthy, but if you enjoy something (diet coke, a Reese's cup, etc...) than do it moderation. Be smart about your choices and you can enjoy the little things in life.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I used to drink diet cokes everyday. There was nothing better than a diet coke with real lime from Sonic. It never affected my weight loss either. However, during this time, I got headaches daily. My doctor told me to quit drinking all diet drinks or drinks that contain aspartame. He suggested having a "real" coke once or twice a week as a treat but stay away from diet, so I did and the heachaches disappeared. Pretty scary! I still need caffeine but now I drink black coffee.

There are people who are sensitive to aspartame, and it can trigger a headache (and other reactions) in members of that sensitive population. So this is good advice - if you get frequent headaches and you're drinking diet pop, try giving up the pop for a week or two and see if it helps.

If you're drinking caffeinated pop, though, be sure to replace that caffeine with another source (black coffee, caffeinated tea, etc) or you'll find a whole new definition of the word "severe headache" and invalidate your experiment entirely. Or be prepared to suffer through a few days of caffeine withdrawal, which means it might take two weeks for the headaches to go away.

Avoid headache-specific painkillers during this transition. Most contain caffeine, so you're just prolonging the addiction. Read the labels carefully and avoid the ones that contain caffeine (or use them but understand that you're still going to have continued withdrawal symptoms, albeit less severe ones because most headache meds contain very low doses of caffeine).
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I have switched to coke zero it takes like regular soda to me. I hate diet soda but this one is good. I drink one a day either with lunch or dinner. I also don't drink coffee so it is my only caffeine.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I drink one can a day and it hasn't hindered my weight loss. I drink a lot of water too, always have.
  • dirtyloveletters
    Options
    I used to drink diet coke excessively to substitute meals ( i was bulimic) and because I refused to drink water. Im always dehydrated. I bought a book called "skinny *****' and it taught me about aspartame. I eventually managed to get used to water and drank it all the time instead of diet coke but im back on the diet coke yet again! I buy a huge 30pack of cans from costco but I have about 11 left. Once they are finished, that is it. I don't want to go back to the stuff. It's lovely but I don't want to feel like I need it to survive because I don't and I can do better than it.

Thats a useless ramble, sorry. But the book is really good...
  • mayerel
    mayerel Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I still drink a can or two everyday. Still losing weight!

I track everything I eat so, while I do eat sweets, I don't attribute it to the Diet Coke and I still remain within my calorie count. And, if it kills me, slowly, in 40+ years, I'm ok with it. We're all going to die at some point, may as well enjoy the ride!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Is there research on it or just internet myths? I believe it's harmless. The FDA believes it's harmless.

FDA?! SchmeshDA!

FDA sponsored by who?

To anyone interested, check out the Sweet Misery documentary, available on-line ... Watch that and tell me there isn't reasonable doubt ...
    Personally I'll take peer reviewed scientific evidence over any documentary unless that documentary actually presents it that way.

IDEA Fitness member
  • kaydensmom12
    kaydensmom12 Posts: 338
    Options
    I still drink a can or two everyday. Still losing weight!

I track everything I eat so, while I do eat sweets, I don't attribute it to the Diet Coke and I still remain within my calorie count. And, if it kills me, slowly, in 40+ years, I'm ok with it. We're all going to die at some point, may as well enjoy the ride!

I would rather die in 40 years due to old age, rather than die uncomfortably with Parkinsons or MS, the ride won't be as sweet then:)
  • CountryMom03
    CountryMom03 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I use diet coke to strip the finish off of my golf clubs (wedges). The stuff literally eats off the finish......it's better than CLR.

:heart: :flowerforyou:
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    ...It goes well with rum.
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a lot of Diet Coke when it was my only drink. Now I have it accasionally and I usually water it down 2-3:1.
    Still plenty sweet. My taste has changed and I prefer less sweet drinks.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I think that its made with aspartame, not splenda? My nursing instructor told us that aspartame (nutrasweet) is neurotoxic by allowing too much glutamate into the cells, which may eventually cause multiple sclerosis, parkinsons disease, alzheimers, brain lesions. She said that splenda is not as bad for you.

She also said that when you open the pop and all of the mist comes off of it, it is actually formaldehyde (embalming fluid), there is much more of it when the diet coke is at room temp.

Real pop is healthier for you than diet. You are not going to automatically die if you drink it, it happens slowly.
    Did you realize that eating fruits and vegetables also forms formaldehyde in the body? Alarmism at it's best.

IDEA Fitness member
  • HunterKiller_wechange
    HunterKiller_wechange Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Tastes like crap. I prefer Diet Pepsi but dont have it often. As for whats in it, i think anything artificial best avoided.
  • Clarevmb
    Clarevmb Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Prefer Pepsi Max but only drink one or two glasses a week. Eldest son is a cola/Dr Pepper addict and try to limit him to one glass a day - everything in moderation.
    However if you've seen the Daily Mail today (UK) they are linking the caramel colouring in coca cola with cancer (4-methylimidazole). Seemingly coca cola has switched to new manufacturing process in US to bring down the levels of this chemical. So maybe aspartame is not your main concern!
  • dirtyloveletters
    Options

:heart: :flowerforyou:
    I really need to get my *kitten* in gear.