Women: What is the perfect size?

Options
I just saw an article on Yahoo about how a size 6 may be considered plus size...WTF? I lost 20 lbs. before joining MFP and I am looking to lose about 5-10 more. I am currently 5'8" and I am 140lbs. I consider myself in good shape now, just need to tone up and lose a few extra pounds.

***Before any of you say anything about my weight and being too low...I have a neurological disorder, Muscular Dystrophy - Charcot Marie Tooth, which has taken away most of my calf muscles...so the less I weigh, the easier it is for me to walk. Remember, I have less muscle than most of you because of this disorder....and we all know that muscle weighs more than fat.***

My question to all of you is "What is the perfect size?" Healthy size, that is? I would never have thought that a size 6 would be considered plus size. I am a size 6 right now and am quite thankful for getting myself to this point. But I do not think that this is a plus size!! I was thinking that a size 8-10 is a good size. What are your thoughts?

Replies

• Oliviamarie05
    Oliviamarie05 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Whatever size each individual woman feels comfortable at. We can`t generalize which is the perfect size because everyone is attracted to something different, whether it be a man to a woman or a woman to herself. When we as women are happy with ourselves, we feel perfect no matter the size.
  • Firephoenix013
    Options
    I would say its up to every person's body type. I am a big boned gal and everyone has told me they highly doubt I will ever be able to go below a 10 at the least, 12 may even be pushing it. But look at Monroe she was stunning at a size 12. So I say it's what you look good in and what makes you feel good. If you feel great at a size 12, stay there. If not, do what you gotta do. If you look amazing in a 4 then hey, there yah go!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Whatever size each individual woman feels comfortable at. We can`t generalize which is the perfect size because everyone is attracted to something different, whether it be a man to a woman or a woman to herself. When we as women are happy with ourselves, we feel perfect no matter the size.

This is spot on.
    I'm feeling great at a size 12 (US 8). If I get to a 10 (US 6) that will be good, any smaller and I think I'd feel scrawny and un-attractive.
    I don't mean that to apply to other people, but that's what's right for me.
  • khedl85
    khedl85 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    how is size 6 plus size, when most "plus size" stores start at a size 14? how is that logical?
  • khedl85
    khedl85 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    BTW---im a 6-8 and I DOUBT im plus size.
  • mnowens
    mnowens Posts: 71
    Options
    I read her post more as "what's YOUR perfect size"... at least that's how it came off to me. I don't think she was trying to generalize or say that there is only one "perfect" size.

For me, I think a size 6 would be perfect. I've always been overweight, so I'm not sure what I would even look like as a size 6, but based on the frames and builds of my sisters, I think a 6 would be pretty awesome.
  • joslin2005
    joslin2005 Posts: 138
    Options
    A size 8-10. Even a 12 would be good for me. But, the ideal size would vary depending on the person. If they are really toned, a size 8 would work. If they are skin and bones at a size 10, then I would say they need to gain some weight. For me, I would be happy with a size 12 but would aim for about a size 10.... That is crazy that anyone would think a size 6 is a plus size. Honestly, I think being too skinny can be as unhealthy as being overweight but that's my opinion.
  • mjhedgehog
    mjhedgehog Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I think for me personally a size 3-5 in juniors (idk what that would be in womens). I'm really short and have a smaller frame and when I was a size 8-10 I was huge and really overweight. I think when I was a size 8 ish i was 155 and I'm only 5'1 but I think 8-10 is fine for people who are a bit taller and with a different build. lol size 6 is NO WHERE near plus size. where I shop plus size starts around size 16 in womens.
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    My goal is size 10. I'd be happy there.
  • mrsnathanandrew
    mrsnathanandrew Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    My perfect size is an 8 or 10. I'd be thrilled at either of those. Scale wise, I want to be 145ish. I'm 5'9
  • chlorure
    chlorure Posts: 5
    Options
    My perfect size is a size 6. I seriously don't understand how this can be considered as plus size o_o
  • KuroNyankoSensei
    KuroNyankoSensei Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Maybe in Asian countries it'd be plus-sized ;x? I know if I'm a size 6, my aunties, sisters, grandmother, and mom shake their head and comment how fat I am. ;< . . .

I'd like to be a size 0 again, I'm short and very small-framed, and I'd like to fit into those small, cute Asian clothes once more. Any excess weight tends to hide my curves, and I get very nice and curvy shape when I'm that size x3 . . . .
  • om3guz
    om3guz Posts: 48
    Options
    My perfect size (and goal size) is a 6. At any other size, my thighs rub together. I have big thighs and tend to lose weight around my waist much easier than anywhere else. I am 5'3" and I used to fit into a 6 at around 135lbs, but my body may have changed since I last weighed that little.
  • honglp
    honglp Posts: 1
    Options
    I was size 14 when I started to get serious with my diabetes & now has gone down to size 10-12. I am determined to go to size 8. : )
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    For me, 4-6 is perfect. My butt seems to keep me in that range no matter what. I've fit into size 2's before... but I think that's a bit skinny for me at 5'7" I could diet down to a 2 and be model skinny... in my 20's that was the norm for me. But I enjoy lifting weights now, and when I eat adequate protein and calories... my genetics are such that I have a good bit of muscle for my smaller frame. And that's sexy. So, I no longer try to be a clothes hanger.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Size 6 is only considered plus size in Hollywood. Ridiculous.
  • betterme1291
    Options
    IMO> size 10-12 is perfect
  • pxpwop
    pxpwop Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Ladies, to me the perfect size is whatever you feel most comfortable in. Never let anyone tell you what the "perfect size" is. What makes you happiest and feel the best is Perfect for you!!
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I've heard that size 6 is plus size nonsense too. It really does depend on how you carry your weight, and what you consider attractive. I for sure though size 8, but I think size 6 now.
  • Rukadare
    Rukadare Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I've been a size 9 for as long as I can remember, except for a brief time when I first started losing weight and got down to a size 6. I felt GREAT at that size. I bought the cutest pair of shorts and felt so confident in them...I'm back to size 9 now, but I know I'll eventually get back down to a 6 and perhaps less.