How long were you with your SO before you got engaged?

Options

Replies

• mashanda
    mashanda Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    a year and half. but I am engaged at 34. I think you should just go with it for a bit. I hope you have at least discussed marriage during your time together...if not that may be a problem.
  • melcpia
    melcpia Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    he was 37 and I was 25 ......hmm we kissed for the first time sept 15/1996..... ran away (from my ex) and moved in together 19 sept/96....he asked me to marry him Oct 96, got pregnant in the november but didnt find out till the december of 96.....got married St Vals Day 97 and our son was born 1 year to the day that we moved in together :-)

Oh and 15+ years later still very much in love with my best friend...we've never had a fight either.
  • KetoBella
    KetoBella Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Have there been any discussions along those lines? If he is willing to purchase a house with you but not get married I would say you need to have that discussion. If he isn't willing to slay dragons for you and drop down on one knee I'd say you have hitched your wagon to the wrong star.
  • aiode
    aiode Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    DH and I have been together going on 21 years and married going on 11. Yes, you read that right. We were together 10 years before we got engaged/married.
    Life just works like that sometimes. We even have a child together (he's 19).
  • pascale485
    pascale485 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I've been with my boyfriend 6 1/2 years now, even though we are younger (about to be 22 and 23) I really feel like it's time to take next steps in our relationship. We're planning to buy a house within the next year and I'd really like to either be engaged or married by then. I find that everyday more of my friends are engaged or moving in with their boyfriend/girlfriends I just hate that we aren't at the next step yet. So, how long were you with your SO before getting engaged?

I understand how you feel, I am seeing all my friends and familly getting married or engaged or buying houses or having babies and sometimes it makes me very depressed.

But I tell myself that my boyfriend wants to make the demand perfect so he is waiting for the perfect time. But I will admit that everytime there is something special on our agenda, trip, visit, romantic dinner, I always have a little voice in my heart saying, tonight might be the night. Sometimes after a wonderful night of hoping we go home and nothing... I feel depressed and unwanted but I know it's me.

Tell yourself that when the time comes you will be extremely happy because you know he is the one (I'm a little girl that still believe in the one true love) and you were strong enough to wait for what you wanted!!!

When you see a friend getting engaged, think about what you have that she/he doesn't.

Hang on and it will happend!
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    4 months. Married 2 months later.

For us it was a case of 'when it's right, you know' - though I think you need to have experienced a few that were 'wrong' before you can judge this.

Married for ten years next month and it's been 100% a great partnership and supremely happy union
  • Classyandra
    Classyandra Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    10 months, married 6 months later, Oct will be our 5 year wedding anniversary. Everyone is different. Make sure you are both ready to take that step. Good Luck :)
  • KrystieNye
    KrystieNye Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    We started dating in September, got engaged in November, and were married in January. It will be 2 1/2 years next month. Every person and every situation is unique...if you feel like you want to get married sometime in the near future, have a serious discussion with him about it and see how he really feels. :smile:
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I was with mine for 9 years...but we have been together for over 10 years now and are getting married this month.
  • mommy2AR
    mommy2AR Posts: 2,802 Member
    Options
    a year and a half as well :P
  • navywifeandmomof4
    navywifeandmomof4 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    lets see I met my husband Dec. 11 1999 I asked him to marry me that new years eve (he said yes) we got married August 12 2000..and we are still happily married
  • brewface811
    brewface811 Posts: 106
    Options
    Have there been any discussions along those lines? If he is willing to purchase a house with you but not get married I would say you need to have that discussion. If he isn't willing to slay dragons for you and drop down on one knee I'd say you have hitched your wagon to the wrong star.

We have discussed it and he knows what I want. He also knows that I want to be engaged at least before we move in together. He doesn't have a problem with marriage or engagement either (at least he says he doesn't), so I don't know what the issue is. We talk about it a lot actually. :/
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    A little over a year :)
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    lets see I met my husband Dec. 11 1999 I asked him to marry me that new years eve (he said yes) we got married August 12 2000..and we are still happily married

i think fast moving is fairly common in military relationships. why put off til tomorrow what you can do today? :wink:
  • Selfmadepsyche
    Selfmadepsyche Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    We were on again off again all through college (first 4 years), then got our **** together and llived together for 2 years before we got married. So, 6 years.
  • rachey_v
    rachey_v Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I met my husband when I was 17 years old. He was 21,

6 weeks after the day I met him he proposed, then 6 weeks after that we moved in together..

That was almost 8 years ago now, we have 2 beautiful girls and will be celebrating out 5th wedding anniversary in December.

When you know you know, he is still my absolute best friend and I actually LIKE him as well as love him :D

ETA: I firmly believe you never fully know someone until you live with them! If at all.
  • chellie47
    chellie47 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    We met online in a chat room. 8 months later we were married! We have been married 12 years this past June!
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Been with mine 3.6 years, known him for almost nine. No plans for now. We want to do it right and live our lives out together first. Love it this way! No rush.
  • brewface811
    brewface811 Posts: 106
    Options
    I've been with my boyfriend 6 1/2 years now, even though we are younger (about to be 22 and 23) I really feel like it's time to take next steps in our relationship. We're planning to buy a house within the next year and I'd really like to either be engaged or married by then. I find that everyday more of my friends are engaged or moving in with their boyfriend/girlfriends I just hate that we aren't at the next step yet. So, how long were you with your SO before getting engaged?

I understand how you feel, I am seeing all my friends and familly getting married or engaged or buying houses or having babies and sometimes it makes me very depressed.

But I tell myself that my boyfriend wants to make the demand perfect so he is waiting for the perfect time. But I will admit that everytime there is something special on our agenda, trip, visit, romantic dinner, I always have a little voice in my heart saying, tonight might be the night. Sometimes after a wonderful night of hoping we go home and nothing... I feel depressed and unwanted but I know it's me.

Tell yourself that when the time comes you will be extremely happy because you know he is the one (I'm a little girl that still believe in the one true love) and you were strong enough to wait for what you wanted!!!

When you see a friend getting engaged, think about what you have that she/he doesn't.

Hang on and it will happend!

Thanks and I know exactly how you feel, I get all giddy when we go out or go on a trip thinking it might be the night. I try not to let it get me down when it doesn't happen because I feel like it'll happen when it is right for us. He told me like two years ago it would be within a year, that obviously didn't happen ;) so I try not to get my hopes up!
  • aqua_zumba_fan
    Options
    10 years as for the first 5 there was no such thing as civil partnerships in the UK so we couldn't and then we didn't see any need. But in the end we did it for a fun day (very little money spent, friends and family very involved, was lovely). I say why can't you ask him but on the other hand do you *have* to take it to 'the next level'? Just wondering - it's kind of an automatic thing isn't it but you'll still have the same love for each other.