How long were you with your SO before you got engaged?

Options

Replies

• TChelleD
    TChelleD Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    4 months. Ive been engaged for 18 months. wedding set for October. I have been married before, with my ex we got engaged after 5 months, were engaged for 7 months, married 8 years.
  • Kimkimba
    Kimkimba Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    2 weeks.

Married 3 months later and still going strong 15 years later. .
  • camsamdad
    camsamdad Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    we met July 28 1997 got engaged November 28 1997 married June 6 1998 and had a son September 9 1999. just celebrated our 14th anniversary.
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Got engaged exactly a year after becoming friends
  • KimberlyMarie22
    Options
    6 Months!!!
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    5 years. We had bought a house before I got a ring. I was ready but not chomping at the bit. He was ready but just took a while to get his butt in gear w/ it. I really didn't sweat it because I knew the commitment was there. I had my moments where I felt like "ok, dude, I'm 30, you're 27, let's get this show on the road", but I never felt that way for too long. He's my best friend, I knew we were forever, and I knew I'd rather just wait and be surprised rather than harp on him about it and take the joy out of it. Plus, buying a house together is another kind of legally-binding contract. ;)
  • midcoast_mommy
    midcoast_mommy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    2 years, and I was 18. I've been married for 2 years now at your age.
  • nicoleandlosing
    nicoleandlosing Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    We met 1/21/06, got engaged on 9/10/09, and married 9/2/11. We are hoping to expand our family within the next couple of years. We are 30 and 32.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Erm. Difficult to say. My husband basically asked me to marry him 8 months into our relationship, so I'd guess that would be when we got engaged. But there was no ring or proposal. And we didn't marry for 3 and a half years into our relationship.
  • CynthiaAnnGA
    Options
    6 months & going on 30 yrs.
  • Rdahl2
    Rdahl2 Posts: 90
    Options
    Ive been with my sweetheart for 13years, will be 14 years August 31, 2012. We met August 1998. He proposed officially on our FL vacation June 2008. So 10yrs for me and since we've been together for so long, we will be making it official at the courthouse this year on our anniversary Aug 31st). I wouldn't change anything about my relationship with him. :blushing:
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    We were engaged within 6 months of dating but didn't get married until our 4th dating anniversary. We just celebrated 9 years together last March.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    We dated about 6 months before getting engaged and then another year before we were married; we did not co-habitate before marriage though. We just celebrated our 19th anniversary.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Dated my HSBF for 6 years including 2 years long distance in college. We talked about getting married. I realized I wanted other things in life so I broke it off.

My current BF and I have been together 2.5 years and we talk casually about things long term. I'm 22 and he's 27, we both have "ring lists" (lists of stuff to do before getting married) so when those things get done we will see where we are at. I know that things will not change very much when we get married so we figure whats the rush. We don't live together now but we only live 2 miles apart.
  • Daphnemomof9
    Daphnemomof9 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    4 DAYS, believe it or not and we got married a year later. We just celebrated our 27th wedding anniversary!
  • stampadhesive
    Options
    I dated someone for five years and ended the relationship when I was 22. He was 25 and I was getting resentful that he hadn't proposed. However, I'm so glad he didn't because I went on to find someone way better than him who treats me like a true companion.
  • tlynnclemmons
    tlynnclemmons Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    we were friends for 2.5 years before we started dating, then dated for a little over a year before we got engaged & then married a year later. Our 14 year anniversary is this October but I'm sooooooo glad we were friends first. I think that's what's kept us together. i really KNEW him before i got involved with him. it will happen when you least expect it and when you stop expecting it to.
  • chukwuwally
    chukwuwally Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My mum was 21 when she met my dad and he was 31. He was previously married to someone else for a few years and they divorced. Within a few months after my parents met they got married. She had my eldest brother when she was 24. They had five kids together, my elder sister passed away almost 8yrs ago. It was devastating to my family and even more devastating when my mom lost her husband of over 32 years, my father last year.
  • Titanuim
    Titanuim Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    21 years. Getting married next year in March. It will be a huuuge party - and no need to worry about people telling us it is not about the day it is the rest of your life. In our case it is the day as we already have the life.

My 18 year old daughter is my bridesmaid. My 6 year old daughter is the flower girl and my 13 year old son is walking me down the aisle. My almost in-laws are pooping themselves with excitement.
  • 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    It was about 2.5 yrs. Then it took 5 yrs to get married because we were waiting on his divorce :grumble: