Why wear glasses and not contacts?

Replies

• michellegrant1
    michellegrant1 Posts: 8 Member
    I have both, but my contacts are the dailies ones. I can't afford monthlys, so have to wear my glasses all the time, which I hate! I use my contacts for special occasions, like a night out with the girls or an important meeting etc. I love wearing contacts, they make me feel better about my looks as well, but unfortunately being a student, it just doesnt work for me!
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Too uncomfortable for me. I love contacts, they make me feel more confident, but working in a stuffy office, they dry out very quickly. Tried 'em for 2 years, and couldn't find comfort. Lasik is my next goal
  • BandedTriaRN
    BandedTriaRN Posts: 303
    at first it was due to astigmatism and they didn't make contacts right for my eyes. But I also tried hard contacts as a teen (1976 ish) and my allergies were so bad in my eyes that I could not wear them. My eyes would itch and this crap would form in my eyes (I call them "eye buggers" cause they are so gross and they itch and actually hurt) and I would be rubbing my eyes and actually pop the contacts out. None of the allergy meds they have tried me on (and I have tried them since the age of 12 and I am now 52) EVERYTHING. I tried soft contacts and it just doesn't work due to the itching, redness, etc.

We have checked with the Dr's about getting lasik eye surgery but that is very expensive and they told me that I would have to get adjustments every few years. Just not worth it. I like my glasses. I have been wearing them since I was 12 and just a lot easier for me. If I didn't have the eye allergy thing, I would have contacts tho.
  • cardiokitten
    cardiokitten Posts: 401 Member
    I am a complete baby when it comes to my eyes. Even just eye drops are an ORDEAL for me.

I'll stick to my sexy librarian look.
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    I love my contacts and I love my glasses. But I prefer to wear contacts because after so many years of wearing glasses and didn't even realized what I looked like without glasses until I was 18. I like the feeling of having no frames on my face. I only wear glasses if I'm not going anywhere or right before I go to bed because I can't sleep in my contacts.
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Several of the prescriptions I take dry my eyes slightly and make my contacts less comfortable.:cry:
  • Letty_c
    Letty_c Posts: 278 Member
    it depends on what I want to deal with that day I have bad allergies so by the end of the day my eyes are really dry......... but I also have a medical problem that causes me to have really oily skin and my ears are weird so when I wear glasses no matter what I do they are constantly sliding down my face so I'm constantly pushing them back up...... and it depends on what I want to look like that day cause it def. makes a difference glasses turn me into a completely different person
  • skinnygurl02
    skinnygurl02 Posts: 176 Member
    I love my glasses. They are part of my style and personality!
  • _Thanatos_
    _Thanatos_ Posts: 166
    I only wear my glasses to give my eyes a break. Sometimes my contacts leave weird red marks on the whites of my eyes. Or if I don't have time to put my contacts in or too lazy.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    i find contacts to be a total hassle
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    1. I love how I look in my glasses, feels like i have two faces, with and without!
    2. Im not sticking Sht in my eyeballs
    3. I'd put them in the medicine cabinet and forget they existed.
    4. You need like, a kit, and to do stuff with them, like take them out. Eff that.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    I love my glasses. They are part of my style and personality!

this, its a style thing
  • torygirl79
    torygirl79 Posts: 307 Member
    I hate putting my finger near my eye. When I tried contacts I was working long hours and always had to take them out and swap to glasses before the end of the day anyway and it simply wasn't worth the hassle.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Before I got Lasik done I wore both and I hated both. Contacts annoyed the crap out of my eyes and they were a pain in the butt because I was allergic to the all-in-one solution and had to use the peroxide and saline (which, by the way, adds an extra 5 lbs of weight to your suitcase!). I wore glasses -- I had transition lenses -- when I was going to be at the beach or any place where my contacts would get very dry and/or there was a chance that I would lose them.
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    I prefer contacts, but because I lack health insurance this year, I'm getting a new pair of glasses (and paying out of pocket). :grumble: While I love glasses, I'm enjoying wearing contacts while I can. I have a hereditary degenerative disease. One of my cousins lost his driver's license on his 30th birthday because he was declared legally blind. At only 23, I don't know at what point I will be stuck wearing glasses for the rest of my life. I wear a -8.00 right now, and (soft) contacts only go up to -10.00. Some people don't get a choice, so I'm enjoying the freedom of contacts.
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Cracks me up about people not being able to put drops in, that's why they won't wear contacts. I have been wearing contacts for 30 yrs, and I STILL can't put drops in! LOL Yet I can put my lens in & out without a mirror!
    Glasses are just a pain, esp for doing any sports. Although, I live in sunglasses! LOL
    I don't have insurance, so if I gotta pay for something, it's contacts, but hoping to get some new glasses this year. Maybe a new pair will get me to like them... nah. :glasses:

Hey you guys with lasik done... don't you still have to wear glasses for reading? Everybody that I know that has had it done, still has reading glasses, which is the whole reason to have the surgery to get away from glass, in my opinion. Just wondering...
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    I look super good in my glasses. I always get called a naughty school teacher since I dress sexily while I have my dork-i-fied rectangular shaped glasses. A few people like me better without glasses, but I don't care about their opinion. I prefer myself with them on, so that's what matters.

Plus I have smallish eyes, and lately I've been getting less sleep so I'm developing bags; therefore, the glasses help to hide those flaws exponentially!
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    I am a complete baby when it comes to my eyes. Even just eye drops are an ORDEAL for me.

I'll stick to my sexy librarian look.

ditto.

When I went to the eye doc for my most recent prescription, he put those drops in to dilate my pupils. I FREAKED out. My eye clamped shut involuntary, and he really had to work hard to get those drops in. then I went to the waiting room to wait for my eyes fo dialate, and I started getting dizzy like I was going to faint. I wanted to lay down but we were in a Sterling Optical, and my husband was like "no, you can't lay on the floor, you're in a STORE!". so embarassing. I can only imagine how bad a contact fitting would be.

Besides, I can really rock the Geek Chic look with my glasses.
  • snoopytwins
    snoopytwins Posts: 1,759 Member
    I'm allergic to most contact solutions so I have use peroxide solution stuff. I don't like when the toric lenses get shifted around on my eyeball. Plus, I am an incomplete blinker...it'd take up all my time for the day to "consciously" blink better. All around makes for non-comfortable wear.

I don't particularly dislike my glasses but there are times I'd prefer to wear contacts.
  • RavenhairedWoman
    RavenhairedWoman Posts: 661 Member
    Because with glasses I can look like a smexy librarian, teacher, or geek girl. Glasses work for me for now. If I ever feel like I look better without them then I will certainly switch to contacts or laser. :) We will see once I finish losing the weight and see how much my face thins out.