Women: What is the perfect size?

Options

Replies

• cara4art
    cara4art Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    "Size is subjective. I look my best at a 2-4. But I know women who look phenomenal in a 10-12. It all depends on a persons individual build. " - cmeade20

Definitely! It really does depend one's own body structure and type(as far as how weight is distributed). For me, a US size 2-4 would look great since I'm 5'5" with a petite bone structure. Back in the '60s, this would be the equivalent of a 6-8. Size 6 back then was actually pretty small.
    Which brings us to the issue iof vanity-sizing of womens' clothing in the US, and the fact that there are no standards whatsoever between different manufacturers these days. Clothing is billed as a couple of sizes smaller than it actually is, thus the current size 2 for instance actually being the older size 6, the current size 6 being a 10 etc. Plus the fact that there's no standardization of women's sizes overall - it's just all over the map and also with no quality control it seems.This is why women have to endlessly try on things to find the stuff that fits, while a man can just sail into a store and buy the same pair of pants he's been wearing forever because they stayed the same. Ever go jeans or dress shopping lately? Sizing is just all over the map. One manufacturer's size 6 jeans will fit like a dream, while another one's will make one feel like a sausage LOL! . Just using this as an example here!
    But what it all boils down to is the size that one looks sleek and fit, feels good and is healthy. Trying to get down to too small of a size for one's particular body is just asking for trouble and not sustainable to boot.
  • BrownEyedSister
    BrownEyedSister Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    When I read the title I thought you were asking what is MY perfect size...

At my height I'd love to be an 6-8 again. When I was a 4 I was too skinny. When I was between a 0 and a 3 I was grossly underweight.

I'm 5'5".
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I'm at goal and maintaining. 5'11 and 150. I wear a 6/8 (small shirts) in womens, 9 (medium shirts) in Juniors. I've NEVER in my life been this small. Before this journey I was always quite happy at a 10. 10's now look like tents. At my heaviest (190) I was a very tight 14.

I've always had a very womanly (curvy) body (since like 13). Wide hips, large butt and big boobs. I never in a million years would have dreamed I could comfortablely wear a 6, and the other day in a store I needed a 4. Now, this isn't typical. Even if I got back up to 160 and was an 8/10 again I'd be happy. Women put too much worry into being 'fat'. At 190 I was fat, I no energy and I knew I wasn't healthy. I'm energetic and I feel great now, but I felt great at 160 and 170 too, I just knew I could do better...
  • lilsaph
    lilsaph Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I agree with a lot of the posts here. A-How can there be a one-size-fits-all perfect size? You have women of different heights, bone structures, and physiological needs. It has to be on an individual basis. I would say it's what your ideal size is, which will be different from someone else's. Right now, I wear a 20-22 (US size). So, that would fit on a small elephant (yes, I meant that to be a joke!!). I spoke with my doctor, and we talked about an ideal weight range instead of a size, based on my height, bone size, age, BMI, etc. And it was a weight RANGE. So, I don't have to worry about being reduced to "one perfect number". So my ideal size is whatever I'll wear while in that particular weight range.

Anyway, as far as my elephant comment goes, that goes to the comment made about a size 6 being seen somewhere as being plus sized. If a 6 is plus sized, then my clothes would fit an elephant! I'd like it if someone reminded me where that statement had been read, because that seems extreme. I realize that many in this country are overweight, or are becoming overweight. However, we do not need to promote anorexia as a solution to the problem. That's just me. Please feel free to disagree! :laugh:

^^ love this post

Every women will have a size that they are happy with and that suits them. I wear a size (UK) 10, or a US 6, which I feel most confident in. I've been down to a UK 6 previously, in my younger years, and looked no better for it!! I'm quite busty and have some junk in my trunk so I have clothes ranging from a UK 14 to a UK 8 in my wardrobe depending on how they are cut; dress size really is just a number in your clothes and it's how you feel most comfortable. :-)
  • poetgurl2005
    Options
    I would love to be a size 6. I'm a 16/14 right now. My husband would prefer a eight though. He feels women should have a shape and a little bit of meat on their bones. Plus I am built like my big german Aunt Olga.
  • katheern
    katheern Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    My thoughts: would you rather have muffin top in a size 10 or look fabulous in size 12? Wear sizes that make you look GREAT! No one knows anyway!
  • Saiklor
    Saiklor Posts: 183
    Options
    It's a complete mystery to me where "plus size" starts anymore.

Would plus size be the size that "overweight" people wear? Because I'm technically overweight but I wear a size 6 (at old navy, so maybe an 8 elsewhere since old navy does vanity sizing).
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I'm a 4-6 in jeans and a 2-4 in dresses... so... if a size 6 is plus size, I'm confused. That's probably only applied to runway models.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Women's sizes are f**king retarded. You can grab clothes from one company and they will say size "x" and will fit fine, grab one from another company and that same size "x" will be either too large or too small. There is no consistancy at all.

That being said, I think that (and this is just my opinion" women look best (depending on height) at size 6-14
  • violabeatle
    violabeatle Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and have a curvy frame. Ideally I'd love to be in the single digits/size 8 and wearing M/L shirts depending on store (my size after I stopped growing taller - I had C cups even back then, so I doubt I can get any smaller shirt-wise). I think I was around 160, and my GW is 150, so if I'm lucky I might be a 6. For my body shape, I don't really want to go any smaller than that.
  • AmyBecky74
    AmyBecky74 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I hate when I read articles like size 6 or 8 is "overweight" or those stupid commericals on weight lose that have women saying "now I'm a size 2" and it is obivious they are not. Every one has a different perfect size. I'm back to a size 10 and i'm so happy. My goal is size 8, but thats me. We all have different body types. I believe our perfect size is the one when we look in the mirror and say "dam I look good and I'm truely smiling".
  • Vince_1964
    Vince_1964 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    8"

Finally someone who answered this question properly!
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    THe only place a 6 is considered plus size is in Hollywood/media/modelindustry. Other thant that the perfect size is individual. For me in this body it would be an 8. But a 10 also looks very good on my as I am large framed, and hippie. But I think 6 is also very beautiful for those who are that size
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I'm at goal and maintaining. 5'11 and 150. I wear a 6/8 (small shirts) in womens, 9 (medium shirts) in Juniors. I've NEVER in my life been this small. Before this journey I was always quite happy at a 10. 10's now look like tents. At my heaviest (190) I was a very tight 14.

I've always had a very womanly (curvy) body (since like 13). Wide hips, large butt and big boobs. I never in a million years would have dreamed I could comfortablely wear a 6, and the other day in a store I needed a 4. Now, this isn't typical. Even if I got back up to 160 and was an 8/10 again I'd be happy. Women put too much worry into being 'fat'. At 190 I was fat, I no energy and I knew I wasn't healthy. I'm energetic and I feel great now, but I felt great at 160 and 170 too, I just knew I could do better...

Hey, you! I am at 160, from around 180. My goal is to be a size 8-- and being a curvy person myself-- do you still have your curves now that you're a 6/8?

Thanks!
  • MalSponseller
    MalSponseller Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    how is size 6 plus size, when most "plus size" stores start at a size 14? how is that logical?

I saw the same Yahoo! article. The idea is, is that models are 23% skinnier than the average American woman (whereas 20 years ago they were only 8% thinner), but are seen as 'normal' in a brochure or ad. Therefore, to model plus size clothing, a model can be as thin as a size 6 and still be considered a plus size model.
  • khedl85
    khedl85 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Women's sizes are f**king retarded. You can grab clothes from one company and they will say size "x" and will fit fine, grab one from another company and that same size "x" will be either too large or too small. There is no consistancy at all.

as a woman, I could not agree more. Im a size 8 in gap, but a size 6 in american eage, and in dresses Im a size 2 unless Im at the dress barn, in which case Im a 4 OR a 6 depending on the dress.
  • mcaffreyg
    mcaffreyg Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I saw/read that yahoo news story too. There were critizing the modeling industry for this move from a size 14 being plus size to a size 6. Although it depends on the individual person generally size 6 is not plus size. But nice and normal :)
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Dude I am very top heavy and er...buxom. If I were a size 6 I would fall over from the sheer weight of my upper torso. I haven't been a six since I was, well never. I was a women's 8 when I was 17 and I weighed 117 lbs. I think if I were a 6 I would be sick.
  • christinato
    christinato Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    for me a NZ size 10 is perfect, my goal is to be a size 12. currently a large 14/small 16 but I have a big chest region and wide hips so I know i'm never going to be small
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Whatever size you look in the mirror and say..."damnit I look good!"