Unhealthy people working in the healthcare field

Options

Replies

• peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    This and why are you watching what other people eat? Are you the food police? Maybe their creamy dressing on their salad was reduced fat, or did you go to the trash to dig out the packet to investigate? Maybe they work out two hours a day six days a week and feel they deserve the bacon bits. Who knows?

I'm studying to be a Registered Dietitian, food is my "thing," and I often observe what others are eating. Obviously it's up to the individual to decide what they want to eat, but it's just in my nature now to look at what others are eating. I've gotten into the habit of thinking about what sort of healthy changes that person could make to their diet.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Beware of any post that starts with... I don't mean to be judgmental or I don't mean to offend anyone, because that's exactly what they do.

My ex husband, who recently passed away, was in the hospital many times before he passed. I got to know a lot of the staff at the local hospital and included were 2 rather chunky nurses. They were both very smart and had a wonderful bedside manner with my terminal ex husband (who I cared for 24/7 for over 7 years, so I was always there). So, how does being fat make what they do any less effective? Some people's judgmental attitudes just burn my *kitten*.
  • Fani2003
    Fani2003 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    i question fat nurses all the time. I just don't trust em.

Do you question your hair stylist with that JACKED Do? What about doctors with drinking problems? What about supposedly smart people who DO or Say DUMB things? What does being fat has to do with getting me meds or giving me a shot or wiping my *kitten*??? NOW, if I saw an overweight or obese Nutritionist or Trainer I'd have a problem, but maybe I would NOT because I would NOT select them for those services. Use some common sense!

Actually, the first thing I look at with a new hairstylist is their own hair. :)
  • peachyxoxoxo
    Options
    Beware of any post that starts with... I don't mean to be judgmental or I don't mean to offend anyone, because that's exactly what they do.

My ex husband, who recently passed away, was in the hospital many times before he passed. I got to know a lot of the staff at the local hospital and included were 2 rather chunky nurses. They were both very smart and had a wonderful bedside manner with my terminal ex husband (who I cared for 24/7 for over 7 years, so I was always there). So, how does being fat make what they do any less effective? Some people's judgmental attitudes just burn my *kitten*.

Can you quote me somewhere earlier where I said being fat makes you less effective at your job? Because I don't think I recall saying that.
  • FatToFit12
    FatToFit12 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am applying to nursing school and that is one of the motivations I have for getting back in shape. Many of the girls in my class are not only overweight (me included), but they are also smokers. I do not judge other overweight girls, but I know I will have a hard time discussing a patients weight if I to am overweight. Alot of nurses are overweight because of their work schedule, so I am trying to work on a healthy routine before I am in the workplace. Also I hope I can be a great motivation to my patients and coworkers when I tell them that I was also overweight at one time:happy: . I can also tell them there is a great tool with lots of support here on MFP too! :happy:
  • delilah47
    Options
    i question fat nurses all the time. I just don't trust em.

Do you question your hair stylist with that JACKED Do? What about doctors with drinking problems? What about supposedly smart people who DO or Say DUMB things? What does being fat has to do with getting me meds or giving me a shot or wiping my *kitten*??? NOW, if I saw an overweight or obese Nutritionist or Trainer I'd have a problem, but maybe I would NOT because I would NOT select them for those services. Use some common sense!

Actually, the first thing I look at with a new hairstylist is their own hair. :)

Well, duh. Maybe you should ask the hair stylist with the killer do who does their hair.
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I worked in the healthcare system for years and can tell you that most of the people got into that profession because they wanted to help people.

It doesn't take long to figure out that humans can only do so much and that, unfortunately, there is also a lot of bureaucracy that hinders quality care (healthcare worker to patient ratio, facility policy, government policy, etc.) It makes the job VERY stressful when you feel like you're not able to do the quality of work you envisioned due to reasons out of your control. Stress causes people to turn to stress relievers, which is partly why there are obese healthcare workers, chain smokers and even drug abusers.

You've heard the old saying "Don't judge someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes." While I think it's hard for us to do that in practice, it may help to try to empathize with them. If you could try to understand them, you might not be so quick to criticize. What they really need is a big "Thank you... you're making a difference."
  • peachyxoxoxo
    Options
    delilah47 - I was not the one who wrote that, if you look back to that original post.
  • Josette89
    Josette89 Posts: 244
    Options
    I'm a nursing major right now and losing weight was influenced by that a little...I've just always been the type to get annoyed by nurses / doctors who tell me to lose weight but who are overweight themselves...I mean I don't like to judge people because I don't know their story/situation, but I'd rather be a healthy/fit nurse..

Let's see how long that lasts when you are working those odd shifts and eating what you can when you can. More power to you!
  • Drenched_N_Motivation
    Drenched_N_Motivation Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Here in San Diego there used to be this huge black lady who did the health report on NBC, I forget her name but I always kinda chringed to myself when she would do story afer story on dieting and health and fitness. I wondred how she felt about it knowing she probably weighted close to 300 lbs.

This doesnt really have anything to do with the healthcare field, but it reminded me of the news lady.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I am a RN in the coronary care unit, and yes, working there (and cardiac rehab) has definitely caused me to think twice about the choices I make. I stopped smoking a couple years after becoming a nurse. There are people MINE AND MY HUSBAND'S age having heart attacks and open heart surgery, mostly because of their habits. High blood pressure, diabetes, obesity, smoking...I see more people with these conditions in my unit than not. My own father--who was obese, had high blood pressure, developed diabetes at age 40--died of a heart attack at 55. Way too young. Even at 40, he was "old". In the years before he died, he was not active and he missed out on a lot in life because he did not feel well. His life was doctor visits and prescriptions. I will be 40 next year, my husband is 46. We try to eat well (most of the time!) and exercise. Neither of us are on any medications.

At the same time, knowing what I know, it's hard working 12 hour shifts, sometimes on your feet and running the whole time. Sometimes we hold our pee for hours. We juggle this work life with children, school, activities.
    There have been plenty of times in my career where I have been starving and light headed and have only a minute to grab something--and oh, crap, I was so busy at home with the children that I neglected to pack myself a lunch before I left, so I'll just grab a candy bar and a bag of doritos. Or hey, some grateful patient's family brought us a box of cookies and they are sitting in the break room. Sometimes, after a physically and emotionally exhausting day, the temptation is just too great to order pizza and be done with it.
    Knowing what I know, and having the desire to be healthy, and taking healthy foods with me to work most of the time, you will still see my food diary looking pathetic sometimes on the weekends when I'm at work.
  • dArtagnia
    dArtagnia Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    So I know your not trying to be judgmental about unhealthy people working in the health field, but did you even realize how that was going to come off to people who have the illnesses you listed. I have never in my life blamed IBS on my diet, because its creation is in no way related. Half the time attacks are not even related to what I am eating. Maybe, since he is a professional, he knows that and doesn't view it the way that you do.

People with IBS have a horrendous time with diets. For me personally I can only drink whole organic milk and white bread. I cant eat fish. Most fruits and vegetables make me ill. Orange juice is completely out of the question. Stress affects it. Drastic temperature changes affect it. Smells affect it. The medications make you gain weight because they assume you are losing so much being ill.

I have a heard time taking advice from people who do not understand what having this issue is like and how it affects you life.

What upsets me about your post, is that it reads like you are saying it is the fault of the patients that they are sick. I was a competitive gymnast when I was diagnosed as a child. My diet was in no way bad and I was very healthy. It is not my fault that I am sick.

I understand your frustration with people in the health industry who do not take care of themselves as they should (i.e. nurses and doctors who smoke). I just dont think you meant it as it came across. People are very touchy about their illnesses. I hope this doesnt come off like I am attacking you. I just wanted to make you aware of how it sounded and explain why it got a negative reaction from me.
  • AJ_MotherRunner
    AJ_MotherRunner Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    maybe when doctors and nurses could take regular lunch breaks they could eat a well balanced meal while on the job. I for one, work in the ER and pack my breakfast, lunch, and dinner daily. I also, am lucky if I actually get to sit down and eat such said meals. They are usually spent on the run while hoofing it to pee for the first time in 10 hours. Some of my best co-workers are a little plump but damn could they save your life if ya needed it. Just sayin...
  • AmiC0717
    AmiC0717 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with overweight people. I know how hard it is to lose weight. I do however have a problem with smokers. I went to the ER for a very bad migraine and the nurse smelled like cigarette smoke. It was so bad I ended up throwing up on her. If i could throw up on every smoker I would.

I also have problems with nutritionist who say to eat "whole wheat bread everyday" I have been told this by multiple nutritionists. I have celiacs for crying out loud and they are telling me to eat wheat. Even if I didn't have celiacs wheat causes inflammation and your blood sugar to soar and then crash.

Sorry that was my rant.
  • delilah47
    Options
    Re: Doctors and nurses who don't take care of themselves. If a person is in the healthcare profession, especially a doctor, they have no personal time. They probably eat unhealthy because they don't have enough hours in the day. They pretty much give up their whole life to pursue their profession-- taking care of others. I don't envy them and I judge them on their effectiveness of the treatments they prescribe for me, not on their weight. Of course healthcare pros are human, just like us. They may be trying to get healthy, how would you know?
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    We are all human beings with a variety of problems going on, whether work-related, personal related, health-related, etc. What right do I have to pass judgement on them? Absolutely none whatsoever.

I'm not questioning their ability to do their jobs well. I work with many wonderful people. I'm just wondering why they make the choices they do in regards to their own health when they can see firsthand how those bad decisions are impacting others.

You still cant assume they purposely made bad decisions.... how do you know that they arent dealing with a problematic thyroid? How do you know they havent had problems with tumors affecting their pituitary gland? How do you know they werent misdiagnosed for so long, and now they are trying to deal with the problem head-on now they found someone who knew what was wrong with them?

Its just wrong to assume they did it to theirselves willingly.... that is what Im saying
  • AmiC0717
    AmiC0717 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I loved this post. It totally made me laugh. I work in health care and a lot of people on here are absolutely right. How can I encourage my patients to be healthy when I am overweight. WIth that said - my biggest pet peeve is smokers in healthcare. When I am sick or patients are sick, they don't care if you are heavy, they care if you stink and it makes them more nauseated. This also means excessive perfume or eating certain foods during your lunch break. We do all have our own issues and that's why we are here. Take time to laugh at yourself and then get back in gear. That's what I do.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    Options
    So I know your not trying to be judgmental about unhealthy people working in the health field, but did you even realize how that was going to come off to people who have the illnesses you listed. I have never in my life blamed IBS on my diet, because its creation is in no way related. Half the time attacks are not even related to what I am eating. Maybe, since he is a professional, he knows that and doesn't view it the way that you do.

I didn't mean it to sound like I was blaming IBS on their diet, just merely listing a diagnosis I've seen that relates to food. My apologies if you took it the wrong way and were offended.

But a number of things like high blood pressure, T2DM, and various cancers DO tie in directly with diet. I should have clarified that more in my original post.
  • Drenched_N_Motivation
    Drenched_N_Motivation Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options

People with IBS have a horrendous time with diets. For me personally I can only drink whole organic milk and white bread. I cant eat fish. Most fruits and vegetables make me ill. Orange juice is completely out of the question. Stress affects it. Drastic temperature changes affect it. Smells affect it. The medications make you gain weight because they assume you are losing so much being ill.

I have a heard time taking advice from people who do not understand what having this issue is like and how it affects you life.

What upsets me about your post, is that it reads like you are saying it is the fault of the patients that they are sick. I was a competitive gymnast when I was diagnosed as a child. My diet was in no way bad and I was very healthy. It is not my fault that I am sick.

I understand your frustration with people in the health industry who do not take care of themselves as they should (i.e. nurses and doctors who smoke). I just dont think you meant it as it came across. People are very touchy about their illnesses. I hope this doesnt come off like I am attacking you. I just wanted to make you aware of how it sounded and explain why it got a negative reaction from me.

Everyones gotta have an excuse for being fat. I have a close friend with IBS, she has been through hell with it and weights 130 lbs. She takes responsibility for her illness and her own actions.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    Options
    Of course healthcare pros are human, just like us. They may be trying to get healthy, how would you know?

Yes, which is why I said in my original post that they may be on a weight loss journey of their own that I am unaware of.