My goal is to be FIT, NOT SKINNY!

Options

Replies

• merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Excuse me, but I want (and AM now, thanks to MFP!) to be skinny.
    I want to be fit to. But honestly it is most important to me to be skinny.

Statements about how other people should think are ignorant. :angry:

I know you mean well but get off your soapbox.:mad:

It's more important for you to be skinny than fit? I'm interested as to why you feel like that. I'm not saying you're right or wrong, just that I can't even imagine why anyone would have that viewpoint???

Fit and healthy has a thousand advantages, whereas skinny is surely about just how others see you. I don't get it

I totally get it. There are women who feel as though skinny=happiness, skinny= healthy - when all I had said (and got flamed by others) was saying it's more important to be fit. Skinny doesn't necessarily mean beauty and I am just trying to tell women not to worry about the stereotypes. If you want to be SKINNY and that is your goal and ONLY goal- then I wish you the best. I also feel sorry for those who are more into skinny than healthy- and YES you can be both- but it does not automatically equate and sadly most women here are flaming me because it hurts their perception of what they think a woman should be.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    PERHAPS you may want to rethink your TOPIC TITLE next time.
  • merzback
    Options
    Okay I've read all of the post's and frankly some of them are way off base. I understand the orginal post and she was simply making a statemtent on her preference. I work in the medical field and see everything under the sun. From anorexia, bolemia, obesity and just plain overweight people. Just remember that we are here to support each other and not criticize each other. Also remember that people are in the state of health they are in sometimes by just not caring for themselves but sometimes due to illness or past traumas. Never bad mouth anyone's looks or healthiness because you never know what is the real reason they are the way they are.

Make a concisous effort to support and not criticize. Hope everyone has a wonderful day.
    Sadly , many people here do not know me. If they did, they'd realize that I hate no one. That I don't judge. I wasn't JUDGING skinny women. I was just saying that it's sad when that is a woman's ONLY goal in life- and they ignore their health. NOT all skinny women are unhealthy as you know. But there are some who are.
  • merzback
    Options
    What do you say to those who are naturally skinny? Are they not beautiful because of genetics as you said yourself? Are they just like the AIDS and cancer victims you said about yourself?

You can be fit AND skinny; skinny does not always mean unhealthy.

I think you misunderstood the OP's point. She's not talking about the naturally skinny people. What she meant are those who are not naturally skinny but keep on starving themselves to become thin so much so that they are starting to develop ED.

Thank you! I was trying- in my post- to let women know that they don't have to be unhealthy to be fit. My head is spinning from those who don't get what I am saying and are turning this into a train wreck, when all I wanted to do was support those who believe in silly stereotypes. Thank you!

To the OP, I couldn't agree more & I love your attitude.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    But do you proceed to run your mouth about how unhealthy blondes are? Or how being tall make you look like a cancer paitent? Or do you just have a different prefrence without putting everyone else down?

No but if I thought tall girls looked more ungainly, or shorter girls looked less elegant, or average height girls looked too commonplace, then it's still my opinion and I see nothing wrong with expressing it. It's really just a refection on me than it is on the OP.

If someone thinks that skinny girls look unhealthy to them then it isn't putting skinny girls down - they are just expressing their opinion. If they said girls with green eyes looked evil then that's not putting green eyed girls down is it?

The cancer reference was pretty poor choice of words though
  • merzback
    Options
    OP, If your point was to convey that women of all sizes are beautiful then you should have titled the thread so rather than My goal is to be FIT NOT SKINNY! That was a big mistake.
    You can be skinny and fit, overweight and fit. You need some skinniness if you want to be able to see the muscles you work hard for.
    I read how you lost 125lbs and won $10,000 that was great. You must have felt bad gaining back 50. Glad you are dropping it again and are still free of diabetes.

Thank you! It's all a journey. Even when I lost 125lbs, I was still about 30 lbs "overweight" and could still teach a kickboxing class that would have smaller people than me dying and not being able to keep up! LOL
    I do feel bad about putting some weight back on but the way I look at it is this is a journey. I know I am a food addict and have learned a lot about this- and was just trying to help others who may think that they have to be underweight by society's standards in order to be happy or healthy.
  • merzback
    Options
    But do you proceed to run your mouth about how unhealthy blondes are? Or how being tall make you look like a cancer paitent? Or do you just have a different prefrence without putting everyone else down?

No but if I thought tall girls looked more ungainly, or shorter girls looked less elegant, or average height girls looked too commonplace, then it's still my opinion and I see nothing wrong with expressing it. It's really just a refection on me than it is on the OP.

I don't think thjat skinny girls are ugly or unhealthy- I am saying that just as people say fat people can be ugly or unhealthy, so can skinny girls. Ugly comes in many forms, as does health.
    If someone thinks that skinny girls look unhealthy to them then it isn't putting skinny girls down - they are just expressing their opinion. If they said girls with green eyes looked evil then that's not putting green eyed girls down is it?

The cancer reference was pretty poor choice of words though
  • merzback
    Options

It's more important for you to be skinny than fit? I'm interested as to why you feel like that. I'm not saying you're right or wrong, just that I can't even imagine why anyone would have that viewpoint???

Fit and healthy has a thousand advantages, whereas skinny is surely about just how others see you. I don't get it

I want to be skinny, not fit. :indifferent:

I don't want to have hard arms, abs, etc. I want to look soft-- and I want to be skinny. I suppose what you would call "skinny fat". I like the idea of looking soft and tiny and fragile. I don't want to look hard and strong. Just a preference. I'm not going to lie- I'm doing this for vanity's sake. Go ahead, I'll be the first one to say it. I don't mind. D:

*ducks tomatoes*

That being said, I'm doing this the healthy way, because I care about my body. That's just not my motivation.

That's exactly what I mean- a lot of women equate fit to being bulky and hard.
    That is NOT the case. If you want to look fragile than that's your right. I'd rather look and be strong. By strong I don't mean he-man strong, I mean fit strong as if I can conquer the world. So I guess you don't like to exercise?
  • merzback
    Options
    To the poster who said I have ONLY lost 7lbs. Actually I had lost 125- put back on 50 and am now down 7. So for you to judge me is really pathetic. I am SO not resentful. I have SO many fit friends who are the most supportive people in the world. I don't resent anyone. My topic is not that I resent skinny women- I resent that women are told they have to be SKINNY to be fit and an emphasis is NOT placed on health but more skinny which doesn't always equate to health. That the diet industry tries to sell us lies. IF you want to flame me- then I feel so so sorry for you.
  • merzback
    Options
    Do I want to be SKINNY?
    No thank you! I'd rather be FIT! Skinny to me could equate to illness and sickness. It doesn't always equate to healthy. There are SKINNY Aids and Cancer victims.
    Skinny people can be unhealthy and NOT fit. I think I've heard a word for that called Skinny -fat. It's very sad when I hear women say they want to be skinny. I know it may be a word and just semantics- I just cringe when I hear it. Can anyone relate? My goal is always to be fit and healthy.

Skinny doesn't always equate to beauty. I've also seen gorgeous "fat" people. I hate that women especially are so brainwashed. I am cuter when I am fit- but I also know that I could be 130lbs and still not look perfect, I will still have a longer that I'd prefer face, a bigger than I'd want nose, and bags under my eyes that unless I go under the knife, are genetic features.

Skinny doesn't equate to having a perfect life. No one has a perfect life. Your life may be easier if you are fit- but your problems still don't go away magically. If you have depression or anxiety when you are overweight, unless you get therapy, chances are the depresison/anxiety will still continue. Weight loss doesn't change that- your MIND is what makes or breaks you.

People do not love you more if you are fit. If they do, they are not the quality people you'd want in your life anyway and you'd deserve more.

If people judge you, that's their issue, but remember skinny does not equate to beauty or necessarily good physical or mental health. You have to WORK hard to be fit- even thin people have to work hard to be fit.

How do you want your life? Anyone get me? :) If so msg me, add me, always up for new friends! :)

Some people are naturally "sticks" and they can't help it. My boyfriend is one, he's 6'2" and 138-145lbs.

Personally I think you are just jealous of thinness. Or else you wouldn't be freaking out over something that does not even apply to you. When I see a skinny model that is beautiful, I don't say "Wow, she is DISGUSTINGLY THIN!" I say, "Wow, she looks really beautiful".

Wow you really don't GET Me. I am not jealous of ANYONE. Good lord. All I was saying is that if you're overweight, try to be healthy both inside and out. What do you feel about those who feel they have to starve their bodies in order to love themselves> Wow I feel sorry for you for flaming me! I never used the word STICKS and I also have cousins who are VERY underweight and that's just how they are with their metabolism- but THEY are beautiful and they are jealous of me on how dedicated to fitness and health that I had become.

Any more haters who don't get what I said?? LOL
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    aaaa-Oh-You-Mad.jpg
  • merzback
    Options
    aaaa-Oh-You-Mad.jpg

No I see anger in women here who want everyone to go along with the
    AS LONG AS I AM SKINNY I WILL BE HAPPY AND HEALTHY myth.
    Grow up and move on if you don't agree with my OP. Seriously this is out of control. I did NOT put down skinny people. I am NOT resentful of anyway.
    Yes, I am so glad there are women on here and men who GET what I am saying. They are bright enough to read the whole post and realize what I am truly saying.
    It's the ones who flamed me are the ones who are super angry.
    So sad for them!
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I too am amazed by the responses. I thought your point of view was wonderful and well thought out. But I'm old and don't get the people who are no longer teenagers aiming for a size 2 like they did in high school (if you are in your 30s you are not in high school) or to be able to fit in junior jeans (they are called juniors for are reason--if you are not a junior maybe you should not wear the stuff). Anyway I got what you said--be happy with who you are and try to be healthy and part of that is being realistic.
  • Wonderob
    Options
    I too am amazed by the responses. I thought your point of view was wonderful and well thought out. But I'm old and don't get the people who are no longer teenagers aiming for a size 2 like they did in high school (if you are in your 30s you are not in high school) or to be able to fit in junior jeans (they are called juniors for are reason--if you are not a junior maybe you should not wear the stuff). Anyway I got what you said--be happy with who you are and try to be healthy and part of that is being realistic.

I'm amazed at the responses too - not the little squabbles of which I'm part of, but by the women (I guess it must be women only) who seem to put so much emphasis on 'skinny'. I'm not saying they shouldn't, I'm not saying they're wrong, I'm not saying skinny women are in any way less attractive; what I'm saying is that I don't understant it - it's MY failing, not anybody elses, I can't possibly see why someone has that as their goal "To be skinny"

Take a nice healthy not overweight, 110lb girl. I can see why she would want to be fitter, lots of advantages in that. I can see why she would want to be stronger, advantages there too. I honestly can't think of one single advantage to being thinner. What would an advantage be?

Of course she has every right to aim to be thinner. She hasn't got to answer to anybody. If she wants to be thinner then of course that's fine. Nobody can judge her or say she is wrong, but help me out. What advantage is there to being thinner once you are already 'not overweight'? And do the advantages continue as you get more and more thinner?

One advantage is all Im after. You're already justified as to why you want it so Im not arguing the rights and wrongs. You're right because you want it
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

One advantage is all Im after. You're already justified as to why you want it so Im not arguing the rights and wrongs. You're right because you want it

The most shallow of advantages is that my face looks better as I get thinner. My BMI needs to be in the 22's for my face to no longer look chubby, and it still can look chubby depending on water retention and lighting at that BMI.

I feel physically more capable thinner, regardless of whether or not I am actually "fitter." My endurance and agility improves even if I have lost weight solely through diet. (I of course feel my best when I get truly fit through exercising.)

My clothing fits more attractively thinner as well, again regardless of whether or not I am fitter/healthier.
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options

I want to be skinny, not fit. :indifferent:

I don't want to have hard arms, abs, etc. I want to look soft-- and I want to be skinny. I suppose what you would call "skinny fat". I like the idea of looking soft and tiny and fragile. I don't want to look hard and strong. Just a preference. I'm not going to lie- I'm doing this for vanity's sake. Go ahead, I'll be the first one to say it. I don't mind. D:

*ducks tomatoes*

That being said, I'm doing this the healthy way, because I care about my body. That's just not my motivation.

That's exactly what I mean- a lot of women equate fit to being bulky and hard.
    That is NOT the case. If you want to look fragile than that's your right. I'd rather look and be strong. By strong I don't mean he-man strong, I mean fit strong as if I can conquer the world. So I guess you don't like to exercise?

Aaah I understand. I am the same way-- I want to *look* small and fragile and then bust out with kick boxing moves and show off my strength. I just don't want the "ripped" look. With the abs and the huge arm muscles.
    So I guess you don't like to exercise?

I exercise 6 days of the week. :indifferent:
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    We need a new word here. Fit has been co-opted to mean lean with visible muscle tone, instead of what it really means: being capable of fitness.

You can fit fit and thin, fit and soft, fit and overweight and fit and obese. There isn't a "fit" look since fitness is something measurable by your achievements.

There is a "fit" look promoted by fitspo that is largely unattainable by most people: visible abs, 15-18% body fat for women, etc.

There isn't a dichotomy between fit and skinny and fit and fat.
  • Wonderob
    Options

The most shallow of advantages is that my face looks better as I get thinner. My BMI needs to be in the 22's for my face to no longer look chubby, and it still can look chubby depending on water retention and lighting at that BMI.

I feel physically more capable thinner, regardless of whether or not I am actually "fitter." My endurance and agility improves even if I have lost weight solely through diet. (I of course feel my best when I get truly fit through exercising.)

My clothing fits more attractively thinner as well, again regardless of whether or not I am fitter/healthier.

Ah right I see, agility is something I hadn't thought of. Good point that

Interesting about the clothes though - I assume you mean 'attractive to you' or do people comment saying they fit more attractively?

In all the surveys it's the women who like looking thinner whilst guys like women to look a bit bigger. When women picked the celebrities they most wanted to look like they always seemed to be the very thin ones, whereas the guys often found those less attractive, so I guess sex appeal isn't the prime factor for these women
  • LauraSS
    LauraSS Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    :smile: There will always be nay sayers looking to find a reason for a debate Mer. I got what you were saying loud and clear and it wasn't ever to put down people that are blessed to release lots of weight and have a fit and thin body. You said what you did because you would rather be fit as your ultimate goal and not skinny as your ultimate goal because skinny does not always equate healthy. Clearly everyone who took offense read things in between the lines. Cheers to you taking charge of your weight back in 2005 and getting yourself fit and healthy and off those darn Diabetic drugs because of it. :flowerforyou:
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    An MFP member that was overweight and is now thin would probably better answer your question, Wonderob. :) I'll try to give you some of the benefits that yoga students have given me in the past, without focusing on the health aspect.

- easier to fit in restaurant chairs, theater seats, planes and so on
    - enjoy shopping for clothing in stores with "regular' sizes
    - easier to see your feet when you look down, and the scale
    - not dreading shopping for swimsuits
    - better sex
    - increased confidence
    - not worrying about their weight affecting their career or chance at a better position
    - no longer worry about stares or comments from people about your weight
    - at job interviews, you don’t have to worry if being overweight will be a factor in deciding whether or not you will get the position.
    - If you are trying to date, being thin helps.
    - easier to keep a thin body clean
    - easier to go to the bathroom
    - easier to enjoy any kind of physical activity that is fun, like riding a bike, taking a walk, swimming, hiking a trail, etc.
    - the thought of being seen in a swim suit in public does not sound mortifying
    - not worrying what others might be thinking when you're eating with them
    - happy to see people you haven’t seen in a long time, not worried anymore about what they might be thinking of your weight