Replies

• WilliamsPeggy
    WilliamsPeggy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    To the OP. Thank you. That was refreshing. :drinker:
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I think a whole lot of people are reading this wrong.

In my opinion the main reason people fail is non-compliance. One of the reasons that many people can't comply is that the list of RULES for weight-loss is so hard, requiring you to change everything about how you live your life. As far as I see it, SideSteel is simply turning that list on its head, calling BS on the rules that really aren't necessary and giving a much simpler list of the real rules.

That doesn't mean that you shouldn't eat clean, or do cardio, or eat breakfast etc if it works for you. BUT, if you really need spaghetti in your life, eat it..... it won't mean you can't possibly succeed.
  • Elibasia
    Elibasia Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options

In my opinion the main reason people fail is non-compliance. One of the reasons that many people can't comply is that the list of RULES for weight-loss is so hard, requiring you to change everything about how you live your life. As far as I see it, SideSteel is simply turning that list on its head, calling BS on the rules that really aren't necessary and giving a much simpler list of the real rules.

That doesn't mean that you shouldn't eat clean, or do cardio, or eat breakfast etc if it works for you. BUT, if you really need spaghetti in your life, eat it..... it won't mean you can't possibly succeed.

Well said, though I think some people have an easier time limiting calories by reducing some of their food choices. My understanding is that 'clean' eating does that. Rather than learn a bunch of rules written by the author of some diet book, I prefer analyzing my own eating patterns to find and eliminate those foods that if I let in the house, I will absolutely think about 24/7 until they are gone. Butter and crusty French bread: you KNOW I'm talkin' about you!
  • Nataliaho
    Options

Well said, though I think some people have an easier time limiting calories by reducing some of their food choices. My understanding is that 'clean' eating does that. Rather than learn a bunch of rules written by the author of some diet book, I prefer analyzing my own eating patterns to find and eliminate those foods that if I let in the house, I will absolutely think about 24/7 until they are gone. Butter and crusty French bread: you KNOW I'm talkin' about you!

Exactly! I think the key point is that there are actually very few rules that really need to be applied to everyone. The rest are for us to determine based on what helps us get there.

I think a lot of this is about emotion and shame. It's hard enough feeling ashamed about being overweight, without also having to feel ashamed about our meal frequency, how clean our diet is, what type of exercise we choose etc etc. Those buttons are really easy to push, I still remember a guy on here that I said by implementing an Intermittent fasting protocol I was just lazy and not prepared to put the work in. He was clearly an *kitten* who was full of BS, but it sticks with you :(
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Exactly! I think the key point is that there are actually very few rules that really need to be applied to everyone. The rest are for us to determine based on what helps us get there.

I think a lot of this is about emotion and shame. It's hard enough feeling ashamed about being overweight, without also having to feel ashamed about our meal frequency, how clean our diet is, what type of exercise we choose etc etc. Those buttons are really easy to push, I still remember a guy on here that I said by implementing an Intermittent fasting protocol I was just lazy and not prepared to put the work in. He was clearly an *kitten* who was full of BS, but it sticks with you :(

The list of absolute necessities for weight loss is relatively small.
    The list of things that fall under the personal preference category is very, very large.

I think it's a good point to not confuse those two lists, which is why I post some of the things that I post.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options

Aww...that's not cool. Keeping a calorie deficit is hard enough without someone telling you that you are doing it wrong. Sorry that happened to you. I think any way that works for you is the best way for you.
  • rksangiegirl
    Options
    Hahahaaa!
  • Nataliaho
    Options

The list of things that fall under the personal preference category is very, very large.

I think it's a good point to not confuse those two lists, which is why I post some of the things that I post.

Completely, especially when there is a rather huge industry that is aimed at convincing us that those non-necessities are essentials and that we need to purchase XX product/program/machine in order to comply.
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I'd like to add... You are not suddenly allergic to gluten.

You actually can become suddenly allergic to gluten. Celiac's can be "activated" by an environmental stress or trigger.

http://www.csaceliacs.info/

http://www.celiac.com/articles/1107/1/Celiac-Disease-CausesRisk-Factors/Page1.html

http://www.gooddayglutenfree.com/pages/celiacdiseaseinfo.html

Celiac's Disease is not an allergy to gluten. It is not an allergy at all. It is an autoimmune disorder that is caused by an intolerance to gluten.

Was bugging the crap out of me.

Cheers to OP!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Word! Not making it more complicated than it needs to be is wildly helpful in making it easier for people to comply and stick with it. The extrapolating from someone's own anecdotal experience of what they believe worked for them into "and this will work for everyone!" is counter productive. I've found you and some others to be a great help to me in keeping me focused on the key elements.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Love this- totally agree. Though once i went 'clean'- paleo clean, i can't go back. It turns my stomach when freinds are stuffing down all kinds of junk, where as once I would join in.
  • futuremalestripper
    futuremalestripper Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Wait, I thought this thread was about the benefits of colon cleansing with dish soap?
  • EmilyLStuart
    EmilyLStuart Posts: 172
    Options
    You didn't read what I wrote. I said for weight loss. So did Sidesteal. Unnecessary for weight loss isn't the same as 'unnecessary for overall health'. And even then...your point is debatable. Do I believe that clean (my definition is roughly yours...wonder of wonder...two of us agree!) eating is in general the better choice? Sure I do. Do I believe that consuming processed foods is going to give me cancer, rot my body from the inside out, and make me fat?

I'm sorry, no...I don't.

As for your low carb thing to break your plateau...I did much the same as you did, only in reverse. I went FROM low carb, TO high fat AND carbs, with only moderate protein...stopped working out for three weeks, and lost over 14lbs. Breaking a 6 week 'plateau' in my weight loss. Oddly enough, at the EXACT same time, I went from eating STRICTLY CLEAN (chicken, beef, fresh vegetables, zero processed foods, water only) to eating Taco Bell every single day (long story why).

So...please explain that to me if you would. Exactly the opposite of your experience, yet the results were exactly the same.

And you didn’t read what I wrote on my last post. I am agreeing with you that basic math for calories consumed can work for weight loss. I said at least twice that I do agree.
    When I said eating clean is better, yes perhaps I should have included “for health”. And yes, I know that the point of the post is what works for weight loss. I do not, however, agree with the way this article is presented; truly that is my issue here. Is basic math for weight loss factual? Absolutely. But it’s also factual to say: “Cut off your left arm and you are guaranteed to lose weight – and lose it fast – and keep it off!” or “Go on the 14 day Hollywood miracle diet where all you drink is blue liquid stuff”

However, I would not think very highly of an article that presented either solution and made it sound as if all you should be concerned with is taking off the pounds, no matter how you do it…just as long as you lose the weight.

Additionally, I never ever said clean was the ONLY way to do it. I never said “all-or-nothing”. I never said “mandatory”. I never said any of that! Please be careful when implying these things, because it is putting words into my mouth that I simply never said.
    I also never said you are going to rot your body from the inside out by eating processed foods. I never said that either, and they way you have it worded, again, makes it sound as if you’re putting those words into my mouth. Again, never said it.

Here’s another one that yall are ripping me apart for – I said:
    “Low carbing and/or carb cycling DOES help me; recently I did it and broke a 3 month plateau.”

Do you notice the word “ME” in there? I said me. Not you. Not your mom. Not anyone else. I said ME.
    Congratulations to you on achieving weight loss using the opposite method as I did. Just because you said it worked for you, and I used something different, would not lead me to ridicule you for it. Again, my word was “me”. Your word was you (essentially). Everyone has to find what works best for them.

I can think of the very obvious reason, decreasing carbs from 150 a day to 30 a day leads to massive amounts of glycogen and water loss. The average person stores about 8-10 pounds of glycogen with water, cutting out carbs means those stores won't get replenished, glycogen is used for just about everything, so it gets used up relatively quickly, ergo, losing 9-10 pounds in a week or two after drastically cutting carbs. Pretty much exactly what you described. Not all weight lost is fat.

Thanks…I am aware of the glycogen/water loss that accompanies low carb. I was expecting to gain back about 4 pounds after returning to normal carb levels 2-3 weeks ago. I did have a small 2lb pound spike, however, it has since gone back down and I have actually lost 2 more pounds. I am now 11-12 lbs lighter than when I began the temporary low carb thing back on May 29. That is why I say that the temporary use of low carb has worked for me. Perhaps not anyone else, but it did for me.

In the end, we are not all that different. Many of us want to lose weight. Many of us desire to be healthier. And as I stated previously, I agree with most of the post. I just do not think it’s fair that I was ripped for simply saying that low carb worked for me, and that fruits and veggies are better (for health, I should add!!). Especially when I agreed with the main point – do your calorie math and you can lose weight.

13800327.png
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    And you didn’t read what I wrote on my last post. I am agreeing with you that basic math for calories consumed can work for weight loss. I said at least twice that I do agree.
    When I said eating clean is better, yes perhaps I should have included “for health”. And yes, I know that the point of the post is what works for weight loss. I do not, however, agree with the way this article is presented; truly that is my issue here. Is basic math for weight loss factual? Absolutely. But it’s also factual to say: “Cut off your left arm and you are guaranteed to lose weight – and lose it fast – and keep it off!” or “Go on the 14 day Hollywood miracle diet where all you drink is blue liquid stuff”

However, I would not think very highly of an article that presented either solution and made it sound as if all you should be concerned with is taking off the pounds, no matter how you do it…just as long as you lose the weight.

Additionally, I never ever said clean was the ONLY way to do it. I never said “all-or-nothing”. I never said “mandatory”. I never said any of that! Please be careful when implying these things, because it is putting words into my mouth that I simply never said.
    I also never said you are going to rot your body from the inside out by eating processed foods. I never said that either, and they way you have it worded, again, makes it sound as if you’re putting those words into my mouth. Again, never said it.

Here’s another one that yall are ripping me apart for – I said:
    “Low carbing and/or carb cycling DOES help me; recently I did it and broke a 3 month plateau.”

Do you notice the word “ME” in there? I said me. Not you. Not your mom. Not anyone else. I said ME.
    Congratulations to you on achieving weight loss using the opposite method as I did. Just because you said it worked for you, and I used something different, would not lead me to ridicule you for it. Again, my word was “me”. Your word was you (essentially). Everyone has to find what works best for them.

Ok...first I want to say that I'm not down on you, or your methods...at all. Not in the least!

Second, I want to say that without interpretation, and assumptions about what someone specifically means, communication would be impossible. Everyone else seemed to take your post in a similar manner to what I did. If that was wrong, I apologize. I reread it...and still come out with the same interpretation. You spent a lot of time above telling me (us?) what you weren't saying (which seems...again, in my interpretation...in opposition with your previous posts). Reading both, I'm finding it tough to figure out what you actually were intending to say.

Let me address a few specific points please.
    Is basic math for weight loss factual? Absolutely. But it’s also factual to say: “Cut off your left arm and you are guaranteed to lose weight – and lose it fast – and keep it off!” or “Go on the 14 day Hollywood miracle diet where all you drink is blue liquid stuff”

And how is basic math, calories in vs. calories out as opposed to eating 'clean'...in any way comparable to the dangerous or flat out possibly lethal methods you mentioned above lol? Is it unhealthy? If it won't 'rot your body from within'...what is the issue? What, specifically...is going to happen to someone who doesn't eat mostly clean? Understand, I prefer to eat clean as well (I've said this more than once as well :D)...but I know...from my own and others experience...that it's totally unrelated to weight, and more importantly...fat loss.

I didn't get this from the original post...and I don't think most other people did either. The point of this thread wasn't to say 'don't bother eating healthy because you don't have to!'. The point was to say 'If you're keeping track of your calories and sticking to them, don't beat yourself to death and guilt/binge because you had some Oreo's, or stopped at the McDonald's drive through!'.

Anyhow, again...I know your intent is 100% from the heart...as was the OP's, and I promise...as I said above, I'm not down on you for it at all! I just think there's some miscommunication here about either what you meant, or what he meant...causing this discussion to go far beyond what it probably would have otherwise.

:flowerforyou:
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I'd like to add... You are not suddenly allergic to gluten.

You actually can become suddenly allergic to gluten. Celiac's can be "activated" by an environmental stress or trigger.

http://www.csaceliacs.info/

http://www.celiac.com/articles/1107/1/Celiac-Disease-CausesRisk-Factors/Page1.html

http://www.gooddayglutenfree.com/pages/celiacdiseaseinfo.html

Celiac's Disease is not an allergy to gluten. It is not an allergy at all. It is an autoimmune disorder that is caused by an intolerance to gluten.

Was bugging the crap out of me.

Cheers to OP!

Yes, you're right, I have it. I quoted the quickest info I had rather than get into the nitty gritty of the difference between wheat allergies celiacs gluten blah blah blah. (For the record, people develop allergies overnight too.)
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    This post rocks dude!

You mean its not okay to brush my teeth with pure bleach for15 seconds?
  • konerusp
    konerusp Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    You don't need to eat clean.
    You don't need to eat breakfast to get your metabolism started.
    Your metabolism doesn't get kick-started and you don't rev it up.
    You can eat food before bed.
    You can eat food IN bed.
    There is no specific time at which eating will cause you to gain fat.
    You don't "shock your body"

Ill have to respectfully disagree with all the above points,people asking you to eat clean is not for weight loss,its for a healthy living,Pick up a food item at the grocery store and read it ingredients,there is so much artificial additives that youve never heard of,nor does your body k now how to process them and that becomes a foreign cell-one of the primary reasons for cancer.It is called breakfast because you have given your body a long break from eating food,breakfast is its first signal to the start of another day.Again this is not about weight loss,its to give your body optimum conditions to work better.Just as how you grease an engine to work smoother.you fill your car with contaminated petroleum-what happens to it?Food in bed is a nasty thing to do.towards the end of the day the body get ready to slow down and rest for the day,the body works according to the cycles in nature,not according to when u want to eat your food.you want to store stuff to fat,go ahead and eat it in bed,eat it in the middle of the night!!Food eaten in the morning is readily absorbed by the body-dint your elders teach you to make dinner the lightest meal?and lastly,you do shock your body,you dont fuel it and ask it to work like a dog,it will release a ton of cortisol which signals storing fat.Human body is designed to live per the cycles in nature.Dont give people the stuff they want to hear and get applauded for a bunch of wrong information,do more research.
  • grayyoung84
    grayyoung84 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    This should be the Terms of Service for MFP! Great stuff!
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    love