What is the best weight loss advice you ever heard?

Options

Replies

• Fat_Lenny
    Fat_Lenny Posts: 38
    Options
    Pertaining to food, I always say, "I've had an elegant sufficiency." Basically stop eating when you are comfortably full!

Pertaining to exercise, I remember a conversation with my sister from some years ago, which I recalled more recently and it helped to kickstart my change:-

[General chat about weight and exercise, Sis comments on my sedentary lifestyle]
    Me (in protest): Well yeah, but I'm not the fattest person in the world!
    Sis: That's no saving grace Lenny, the only person who can't say that IS the fattest person in the world.

A bit blunt but it got me thinking anyway, about having to take ownership of my own body and stop making excuses.

The other best thing was my friend telling my to join this site! :happy:
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    "Don't make any changes that you can't see yourself keeping up for the rest of your life." After gaining and losing several times, this is what made it click for me that "dieting" doesn't work, and that the process is never over. If you make extreme changes to meet a goal and then go back to what you were doing before, you'll be back where you started before you know it! Sustainability is key.

exactly! this time around i tweaked what i eat to be less of the bad stuff, more of the good stuff but still make all the same dinners i used to make before. This time around i am not feeling deprived. This time around i happily run to the computer to log my food.
  • margaretrican
    margaretrican Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Dont eat sugar and cereals!
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options
    It's mind over matter. You CAN do this. (Jillian Micheals)
  • 2Grtkids
    2Grtkids Posts: 93
    Options
    "If you want to keep seeing me naked, you had better help me lose a bit of weight"
    From my wife

That's AWESOME!!
  • HollywoodDJ
    HollywoodDJ Posts: 296
    Options
    Best advice I think so far has come first from my friend who told me to check this site out and the other was from an old classmate that has been cancer free for a few years. This statement helped him to keep going and it has helped me so much I can not even begin to make you understand. The days where I felt like giving up (especially at first) this statement got me through those times.

"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. " Calvin Coolidge (1872 - 1933)

I don't have to be the best, the fastest, the strongest...or lose weight the most or be the skinniest. The determination and persistence I feel is definitely driving me to a much healthier and fuller life and on my down days I remember to take this ONE DAY AT A TIME and to also be a little kinder and gentler to myself and not be so hard on myself.

Learning to be my own best friend instead of my own worst enemy!
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options
    "If you want to keep seeing me naked, you had better help me lose a bit of weight"
    From my wife

:laugh: love it!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    From my wife
    :laugh: :happy: :drinker:
  • annahiven
    annahiven Posts: 185
    Options
    Food is fuel first, pleasure second.
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    You can't outexercise a bad diet.

and

Stop wishing and start doing.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Long term weight loss doesn't require perfection.
  • TadaGanIarracht
    TadaGanIarracht Posts: 2,615 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat.

:laugh:
  • _Punjab
    _Punjab Posts: 67
    Options
    It is a self-fulfilling prophecy.
  • Twilightsunflower
    Twilightsunflower Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    stop eating crap it will kill you
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    "Eat less, move more".... basic and from my dad... and OH SO TRUE!!!

I'm with this - I find now that I just can't eat the volume I used to - but I can still eat a good amount because of all the movement! :glasses:
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Eat mindfully
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Jack Lalanne
    IF MAN MAKES IT, DON'T EAT IT!
  • lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Be patient it took X number of years to put on the weight it will take some times to work it off
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    The best advice given to me was to WORK OUT!! And although I know exercise is not necessary for weight loss - exercise opened up a whole new world to me and showed me all the benefits of a healthy lifestyle!
  • ThaRealNicki
    ThaRealNicki Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    This advice/quote was said to me by my man. He told me this years ago when I would gripe about losing weight and never actually try that hard

"Keep doing what your doing, you'll keep getting what your getting"

beautiful thing about this quote is it works both ways! It really opens my eyes to the fact of whats going on because it is truth. :wink:

AWESOME IDEA FOR A POST BTW!