Is Reading a Woman Thing?

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    OK, no one has answered the tired question. Don't you get tired? I just can't read that much. I enjoy it when I can, but if I sit down to read, I'm usually asleep within 30 mintues. Whereas I can watch TV unendlingly for hours without falling asleep.

I didn't used to but I do a lot lately. I think it's age. I start reading and fall asleep after a few pages anymore. It sucks. I used to read 2-3 novels a week and now I can't stay awake to read one a week usually!
  • nevertoolate2
    nevertoolate2 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Dont you guys get tired when you read?

I read like 3 to 5 pages, and then fall asleep, regardless of how good the book is. Happens every time to me. So, it's hard for me to read. It's easier to watch TV.

I know some women will come home from work, sit down, and read. I'm like, I'd be out like a light in 3 minutes.

No, don't get tired and it's a good job really, because if I did I would probably crash the plane
  • azziria
    azziria Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Both my partner and my 14 y.o. son read almost as voraciously as I do.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    My husband is a constant reader. Our house is overflowing (I love to read, too).

My father always made time to read. He was a hardworking man, but he always read on the weekends. My mother, on the other hand, was not an avid reader, although she enjoyed it sometimes.

My husband's father and brothers are also big readers. So, no it's not a women's thing at all.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    OK, no one has answered the tired question. Don't you get tired? I just can't read that much. I enjoy it when I can, but if I sit down to read, I'm usually asleep within 30 mintues. Whereas I can watch TV unendlingly for hours without falling asleep.

I have fallen asleep reading before but only when I was exhausted. Normally if I start reading at night next thing I know its 1 am and I'm like oh *kitten* I have to be up in 5 hours. If I put the TV on in my room and lay down however I give it 30 minutes tops and Im out cold.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    OK, I'm going to give it more of an effort. I defintely have time to read, I just dont because I get tired and fall asleep. But, I'll give it more of an effort and see how it goes. LOL.
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I love to read- read books all the time as a kid and still do although not as often.

Wife hates to read- daughter loves to read- I think it's just a personal preference.
  • thekarens
    thekarens Posts: 254 Member
    Options

Nope, I can read for hours and I usually am reading a couple or three books at a time and I listen to a lot of audiobooks when I'm at work or the gym.

Back on topic I come from a family of readers. My dad is a voracious reader, one of my sons reads constantly and my ex-husband is a big reader. I know as many men readers and I do women readers.
  • bleacheblonde
    Options
    I don't think it's a woman thing, I think it's a smart person thing :) My fiance likes to read science and history books. I'm not sure I could really date a guy that doesn't like to read, because I like smart nerdy guys. To me, seeing a guy absorbed in a good book is a turn-on.
  • Shamrock_me
    Shamrock_me Posts: 161
    Options
    Nothing is as SUPERnova white hot SEXY as a guy who reads books!!

Usually means he's not bugging the crap out of me while I am trying to read a book!
  • Absidey
    Absidey Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    My bookclub is mostly women, but I have a lot of male friends who read too. My husband likes to read, but is picky about content, so he doesn't end up reading very much. His grandfather has more books than I've ever seen in one room before. One of my friend's husbands likes to chat books when I'm over for a ladies night, because I like sci-fi and his wife is all chick lit.

I DO get tired reading something over my head or with odd pacing. I have to do it in bits, and not at night in bed or lieing on the couch. You might try another book if you just can't keep your eyes open.
  • Wpbarr
    Wpbarr Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Sports? I have no time to watch sports let alone read about it! I participate in 2, but that's it. On average, I read 3-4 dozen books a year, including technical/professional development publications. All of my male friends read a lot, then again, we all get paid to use our brains.
  • vbrent07
    vbrent07 Posts: 115
    Options
    I read at least a book a week when I have time. As for my husband and other guy friends/relative at least 95% of them read whenever they have time. You shouldn't be embarrassed about it!
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    My family all share a Kindle library and 90% of the books are my dad's. Mr Cheesefries isn't much of a fiction reader unless he's traveling, but he really enjoys reading online newspapers, blogs, magazines, etc.

I read a ton, always have. I do know plenty of people (men and women) who don't enjoy reading. I don't think it has anything to do with gender.
  • numindan
    numindan Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I read 2-3 fiction books (sci-fi, fantasy, crime procedurals, mysteries, etc.) a week and way too many academic texts and papers to keep track of.

I attribute my appetite for reading to my dad. When I was wee, my dad used to take the family to the library and check out as many books as his card would allow. Every evening after helping us with our homework we toddled off to bed and dad sat at the kitchen table reading. And he read everything and anything he could get his hands on. For hours and hours on end.

As we got older our bedtime could be delayed as long as we were reading.

My mom tells me it was my dad who read to us when we were infants and my dad was the one to teach me to read.

I'm thrilled that my husband has the same appetite for books. He too was raised by two voracious readers.
  • cherrybomb_77
    cherrybomb_77 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I don't think so. When I think of the people I know as readers vs. non-readers, males and females are pretty evenly distributed.
  • Vince_1964
    Vince_1964 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I read all the time - sometimes have 2-3 books going simultaneously. I've always been an avid reader - history, fiction, biography - doesn't really matter, but kind of depends on my mood. My wife got me a Nook last year for my b-day since I read so much. So, no, it is NOT a woman thing. A number of my guy friends and family read quite a bit - but I also know many who don't. I think reading expands your mind/horizons ...
  • AtticusFinch
    AtticusFinch Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options

Your opening post was odd, why would you be embarrassed about reading? The sounds very insecure IMHO.

I read and have done since childhood. I'm reading through some of the freebie classics you can get for Kindle at present.

Falling asleep can be a problem if you've had a particularly busy day. I think the main issue may be your interest level and finding the elusive 'good read'. Try some fiction, it's often a good hook that draws you in - or start with a collection of short stories, or a novella.

'The Five People You Meet in Heaven' is a good story and relatively short. Get it out of the library, along with some other likely candidates, and give them a bash. If they don't reel you in within 3 chapters, try something else. Once you find an author who works for you, try other titles by the same person,
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a woman thing, I think it's a smart person thing :) My fiance likes to read science and history books. I'm not sure I could really date a guy that doesn't like to read, because I like smart nerdy guys. To me, seeing a guy absorbed in a good book is a turn-on.

^^This.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Personally I can't wait to get home tonight and lay on the couch and read...that's how exciting my Friday night is going to be.