Fat Clothes - Toss or Pack Away?

Options

Replies

• ElviraCross
    ElviraCross Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    donate it to somebody that could use it more than you can.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Send them to me! I am a 14, and will need smaller clothes soon. LOL. Give some away and pack your absolute favorites that you could NEVER replace (special dress, angora sweater, etc.) Buy great clothes at the size you are now and you'll eventually give away the rest when you realize you are staying the same size!! Good for you!
  • gdr1976
    gdr1976 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I threw away anything ripped, stained, or had a hole in it. Donated the rest, including the pants in my profile pic :smile:
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I have spent a lot on those clothes and I will probably fit in those sizes someday as I get older.

does not compute

^ this. I had a garage sle and gave quite a bit of it to a dear friend this week
  • GaglianiGirl
    Options
    Donate! Keeping them is like saying you may need them again.mDon't let your mind stay there bc that's half the battle. Expect to be the new, healthier you forever!
  • FitRodr
    FitRodr Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Get rid of them. As for the wear them again when you get older.... well it's just an excuse. Hopefully you will never be that size again and if you ever do they'll be out of style.

Choose new pieces to serve both work & casual. I decided to only buy clothes I "love" going forward because I plan to wear them until they wear out. Never going back - that's the mindset you need.

Out with the old, in with the new - habits & clothes
  • GLJezebel
    GLJezebel Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I sold all of my fat clothes and what I didn't sell I donated.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I have some nicer stuff that I'm shrinking out of. Every time I have a box full I say I'm going to sell them, but I always end up taking them to a thrift store that uses all proceeds towards the women's halfway house locally. And you know, I can't think of any better use in my opinion!

The other thing I've learned is that saving clothes is pretty much worthless. I've got clothes I saved from my "skinny" days in high school. None of them fit me right. Especially the jeans. So those have been going in the donation box even though the size is correct because the fit isn't, and I can't justify keeping them if I don't like the way they look.
  • mamacita721
    mamacita721 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Donate to a battered women's shelter. Most of them have employment assistance programs and need interview clothes for their clients.
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Have your favorite classic pieces tailored so they fit. The rest you can donate to charity. And when you do, get a receipt so you can claim it on your taxes.
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I think by you keeping them, you are setting yourself up for failure. Its something shoved in your closet that brings you back to everything you are trying to get away from. Donate the clothes. If you need money back for the money you spent on them ... consign them or sell them on Craigslist, or have a yard sale. Other wise, chuck it up to money you wasted when you were overweight, like fast food, or milkshakes, or countless diets/ weird exercise equipment you probably used before deciding to really get healthy and do it.... and just let go of it!
    You are a new you... so you need new clothes! :):flowerforyou:
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 30 pounds so far and would like to lose 10 more. I have TONS of size 8 to 12 clothes in my closet. I am now a size 6-8. I want to go through my closet and weed out the old but I am not sure what to do with it. I am a teacher and I have so many great work clothes. I have spent a lot on those clothes and I will probably fit in those sizes someday as I get older. Am I making excuses? Should I really toss all those great clothes?

Wish we had a clothes trade on MFP! I'm currently a 10, and have an entire spare bedroom full of 12 - 24 that are getting put up on ebay as quickly as possible. This time, I'm not keeping around anything I can't wear! It's too easy to backslide as it is, having clothes in that size makes it even easier.
  • AmyB69
    AmyB69 Posts: 117
    Options
    Happily donated mine!
  • mfree007
    mfree007 Posts: 2
    Options
    Have the articles of clothing you really like altered.
  • dperich1968
    dperich1968 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Pick your favorites that you dont want to live without, find a taylor and have them altered to your new size. Donate the rest and enjoy building your new closet for your new body.

^^^ this! Don't tell yourself that you will wear them again some day. Vow to NEVER wear them again :happy:

DITTO!!!
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Styles change, and the older you--regardless of size--won't want your old threads. Plus, the idea that getting older means getting heavier is an excuse to let that happen. Don't go there. Donate the clothes and enjoy dressing your new body.
  • johicks
    johicks Posts: 1,991 Member
    Options
    Keep the really nice ones that can be taken in to fit you now!! If you have about ten pounds to lose, then thes could be your perhaps, someday, big clothes.

I say then donate the rest!! I made a huge leap and got rid of my big clothes as I started to lose 2 years ago. It MADE me not get any bigger, because I had NO clothes to get into and I refused to by anymore. It truly forced me to NOT gain anymore weight.

I've been able to keep off 25lbs for 2years. Had I not done that, I am afraid to think of how big I could've gotten.
  • KezRi
    KezRi Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    23130367.jpg
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    I donated my fat clothes. Made room in my closet for new clothes and help someone else out at the same time. And it's motivation to keep the weight off as well. :)
  • DeterminedRealist
    DeterminedRealist Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It has already been said but I have to weigh in, pun intended.

1. Alter them only if you cannot fathom life without them (this will cost money you could spend on new clothing)
    2. Attempt to sell them online if they are like new and worth the effort and money it will cost up front (a LOT of effort)
    3. Consignment stores for the really nice peices that hardly show any wear (dry clean first, if they sell you get money back)
    4. Goodwill, Salvation Army, your favorite neighborhood thrift store or shelter. (a trip across town that will leave you feeling warm, fuzzy and DONE!

By the time you "need" them, styles and colors will have changed.
    Please focus on success, you are worth it.