Cardio makes you fat: "Women: Running into Trouble"

Options

Replies

• Jessicaarceneaux
    Jessicaarceneaux Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    First off, I'm a physiologist. The author has his/her facts straight, but the logic is wrong. It's true that your body will adapt to your exercise regimen so that over time you will burn fewer calories in order to do the same amount of work. Likewise, as you lose weight, you will burn fewer calories when you do the same exercise as when you were heavier. Your body is really, really good at helping you perform in times of calorie shortage. Most people become markedly more efficient after only 7 or so workouts.

If you keep your eating habits the same, this means you will plateau. You might even gain weight if you become very efficient at your workout, but still eat the same number of calories.

But it's not the cardio itself that is the problem. Cardio is SO good for you. Plus, who wants to hang out with someone who has to huff and puff their way through everything?

The lack of variety in exercise routines is the problem. Every few weeks, switch things up a bit. That's all.

[/quote
    I agree! Thanks for your input!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    This week I burned 9000 calories doing cardio/running. Since according to the article this caused my body to store fat and burn muscle and according to a weight room poster I am burning 600 calories per pound of muscle I should have lost 15 pounds of muscle this week. The scale only changed by -1 pound so I must assume that I also gained 14 pounds of fat this week.

I was eating at a deficit so I must also assume that this 14 pounds of fat was created by a chemical reaction between water and air. Highly unlikely since the caliper measurements also slightly went down.

Either the whole premise of this article and the bioscience behind it is wrong or the author is an alchemist.

Which is it?
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    But you must be able to see that this is not the same thing as saying 'cardio doesn't help with weightloss'. You have to grasp that this is not, in fact, what the study is saying? The study does not, in fact, demonstrate what you think it does.

I'm trying really hard here. A controlled diet (key word, controlled) compared to a controlled diet + cardio gives zero tangable results difference. What other conclusion can you possibly state other than it does not help?

Are you trying to state that doing cardio is easier than not eating? So thats why it does help?

Jynus, there's no point in replying to her. Some people are so stuck on their own perceived superiority, that convincing them of another point of view is nearly impossible. She said she's read many of my posts...great! It's nice to have fans. Until this thread...I had no clue of her existence.

But I've seen dozens on these forums just like her.

I mean...I could have replied to her commentary directed at me, quoted multiple posts where runners called the people that aren't runners 'meatheads'...and implied that runners are more intelligent. I could have quoted a dozen posts where every single person who says strength training is superior for losing bodyfat also indicated that cardio had other health benefits, and shouldn't be excluded from a balanced routine.

But what's the point? She missed it all the first time around. She missed it all when you pointed it out. She missed it again when I pointed it out. What the eff is the point in doing all the work myself, and shoving it under her nose? She's just going to argue anyhow, because the point she's arguing...isn't her point. Beating everyone down with condescending sarcasm until they finally give up and she can claim victory by default...is.

It's what self centered people with an inaccurate opinion of their own superiority...do.

/shrug...anyhow...I'm going back to spending time teaching my kids to throw a frisbee...it's 111F outside...and the AC and water was a welcome thing :).
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    "There is a reason elite strength athletes eat 10k calories a day on FAR less hours trained compared to their runner training counterparts. It's because strength training boosts metabolism into overdrive. Ask ANYONE who lifts heavy how much of a pain in the *kitten* it is actually trying to gain weight. "

You don't think some of the need for additional calories might be down to their greater body mass, rather than to do with fuel for *exercise* alone... ?

The poster you're deriding is quite correct though, the evidence you cite doesn't relate to the point you're trying to sustain. When building an argument using scientific sources, you really need to make sure that the evidence actually relates to the point. This is really the basic problem that BrianSharpe pointed out re the original article - dodgy interpretation of the data doesn't help anyone.
    Who says elite strength athletes have to be large. There are weight classes you know.. Granted the smaller ones don't eat near as much. But still significantly more than your average exercising person.

Heres a great example....

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

She double to tripled her caloric intake when she started lifting weights. End result, she had a low body fat % when she switched to strength training from cardio. (though granted, higher actual weight, but point still remained that body fat went down)
  • genjerleigh
    Options
    Its total B.S. If you're not losing weight from cardio then its because you're eating more calories then you burn or maybe you're building muscle (muscle weighs more then fat, but has a smaller mass). You should never stop exercising unless your doctor (who has tested you and has access to your specific medical history) says for a fact something adverse his happening to your body as a result. And truth be told - as long as you don't over exert yourself, most people don't have ill-affects
  • byrnet18
    byrnet18 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Bump...I need to come back and read this when I have more time.
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Guys, don't feed Jynus the troll! Zero lbs lost, zeto friends, knows everything. Yep.
  • Jynus
    Options
    Guys, don't feed Jynus the troll! Zero lbs lost, zeto friends, knows everything. Yep.
    credibility comes from having a friend list here and posted numbers on a scale? gotcha. :(

don't know everything. just a lot. i'm also always open to mind changing. by all means, post some studies.
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    credibility comes from having a friend list here and posted numbers on a scale? gotcha. :(

don't know everything. just a lot. i'm also always open to mind changing. by all means, post some studies.

Jynus, you joined in June 2012 and have 152 posts. Ya gotta admit, it does seem like you prefer trolling to actually getting fit.

We get it. You're a lifter and you think everyone should do what you do. The problem is that everyone is different. Stop trying to "win" your side of the cardio/strength wars and just discuss fitness with folks and you won't look so trollish.

And for the record: Jynus is a he, not a she.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Jynus, you joined in June 2012 and have 152 posts. Ya gotta admit, it does seem like you prefer trolling to actually getting fit.

We get it. You're a lifter and you think everyone should do what you do. The problem is that everyone is different. Stop trying to "win" your side of the cardio/strength wars and just discuss fitness with folks and you won't look so trollish.

"Everyone is different" is the biggest fitness lie. None of us are magical unicorns that defy the laws of physics. Fat storage and metabolism mechanisms are the same for everyone.
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options

"Everyone is different" is the biggest fitness lie. None of us are magical unicorns that defy the laws of physics. Fat storage and metabolism mechanisms are the same for everyone.

Oh, really? We all have Hashimoto's Disease, heart disease, kidney disease, arthritis, and we're all the same age! I could go on and on about how different people are and what they can and can not do and what works for one person may not work for another person (or even the same person at a different point in her life) because the truth is: we *are* all different. We are not clones, we're individuals. Different genes, different metabolisms, different fat storage, different lifestyles (yes, that counts too). Not only that but what works for someone in their teens, won't work for them in their 40s. We change throughout our lives, our body changes and our fitness/diet needs to change with it. Go unicorns!
  • MaverickUK2K
    Options
    Lol, so this article and many of the people on this forum are suggesting that I should not do cardio to lose weight? So if I burn 300 calories and don't eat these calories back in food, it won't result in weight loss? What is this crap all about? Surely it doesn't even make scientific sense...
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Oh, really? We all have Hashimoto's Disease, heart disease, kidney disease, arthritis, and we're all the same age! I could go on and on about how different people are and what they can and can not do and what works for one person may not work for another person (or even the same person at a different point in her life) because the truth is: we *are* all different. We are not clones, we're individuals. Different genes, different metabolisms, different fat storage, different lifestyles (yes, that counts too). Not only that but what works for someone in their teens, won't work for them in their 40s. We change throughout our lives, our body changes and our fitness/diet needs to change with it. Go unicorns!

For the WIN!!
  • 32nissy
    32nissy Posts: 67
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • mstifb
    mstifb Posts: 230
    Options
    Got a little overwhelmed reading this but seems to me that if you crosstrain using different forms of cardio, that won't be a problem. At least that's what I've been told. So not being an expert, or even close to an amateur, I think I wouldn't give much thought to this article.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

Did he REALLY need to add 'barring medical issues'?? Wasn't that just understood?
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

Did he REALLY need to add 'barring medical issues'?? Wasn't that just understood?

No and I don't think it was intended.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

No and I don't think it was intended.

I know him rather well, the 'barring medical issues' is a given. Although...far too many 'medical issues' are simple excuses, or the EFFECT of a crappy lifestyle, rather than the cause of their current state...and of those, many are 'diagnosed' by a doctor.

Obviously I'm not talking about major things here.
  • Jynus
    Options

I think everyone should do resistance training in regards to actually utilizing your bodies ATP-CP and lactic acid energy systems to not suffer TypeII muscle fiber atrophy while trying to lose weight, yes. Something thats impossible to do with cardio.

As for everyone being different, thats for the most part a lie. The metabolic pathways for most everyone is VERY similar. And what works for one person, as a general rule will work for others barring medical conditions. We all have the same energy systems, same bio mechanisms powering them, same types of muscle fibers. Basically we all have the same hardware. the difference is the degree in which they work.

As for discussing fitness, I'll be more diligent about posting studies rather than chatting. It's not about winning, it's about presenting fact.
  • Jynus
    Options

I know him rather well, the 'barring medical issues' is a given. Although...far too many 'medical issues' are simple excuses, or the EFFECT of a crappy lifestyle, rather than the cause of their current state...and of those, many are 'diagnosed' by a doctor.

Obviously I'm not talking about major things here.
    This is true, I forget the exact stat, but I think it was in the area of 5% of obese people have a valid medical condition that would be considered as a contributing factor to their weight. for everyone else, it's just straight up eating too much. tho granted, 5% of hundreds of millions is still a monster chunk of the population.