Overnight Oats...why didn't I do this sooner?!

Options

Replies

• verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    yeah, me too .... bumping ..... have a good day y'all :drinker:
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    bump :drinker:
  • Kunderwood04
    Options
    bump!
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ritalef
    ritalef Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    This the second time this week I've heard of this. Maybe I better investigate, but cold oatmeal? really?:happy:
  • chefgorman
    chefgorman Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I can not wait to try this. I am not a breakfast person, mainly because I do not want to cook in tbd morning. This could be the answer.
  • Taryn1627
    Taryn1627 Posts: 120
    Options
    bump
  • firetriniti
    firetriniti Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cafel3
    cafel3 Posts: 89
    Options
    I saw this post last night and decided to try it. Chia seeds are not something I keep in my pantry, so I based my recipe on the one for "Fluffy Yummy Oatmeal" at http://www.skinnynevertastesogood.com/2012/01/fluffy-yummy-oatmeal.html and used ingredients that I had on hand.

2 oz. old fashioned oats
    8 oz. water (not sure how it would turn out if you used milk/soymilk/almond milk)
    1 oz. rough chopped dried figs (you can substitute almost any dried fruit: raisins, cranberries, etc.)
    1/4 oz rough chopped almonds
    2 oz. sliced bananas
    cinnamon to taste
    sweetener of choice to taste (I omitted this because the dried fruit and bananas make this sweet enough for me.)

Now, this is a little different from the other directions in this thread because it requires more prep than just mixing all the ingredients together. Mix everything except the bananas together and heat in the microwave for about 1 1/2 minutes (don't let it boil!). Then put in the fridge overnight. In the morning, add the sliced bananas and a little more cinnamon, if you'd like. I didn't heat mine, but I guess you could try that.

The cold oats were so refreshing during this heat wave that we're having in the Mid-Atlantic! Also, I'm so full - even more so than when I eat 4 oz of microwaved oatmeal! I'm so tried of running to the kitchen at work to heat up my oatmeal for breakfast, so I can't wait to use this recipe during the work week (at least while it's hot)!

281 calories
    6 g fat
    0 cholesterol
    2 mg sodium
    446 mg potassium
    54 g carbs (includes 11 g fiber & 27 g sugar)
    4 g protein
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    This website has the base recipe and tons of good flavour ideas:

http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal

I find the choice of oats is important, the quick-oats can taste a bit floury. Steel-cut stay quite firm, but i like that. Ideally old-fashioned-rolled are the type to get.

Edit to say- add your sweetener after, with some fruits you won't need it. I use a teaspoon of maple syrup.
  • seearainbow
    seearainbow Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    What a great idea!
  • Amberdew1
    Amberdew1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Mirage08
    Mirage08 Posts: 10
    Options
    bump!
  • peanut7butter
    Options
    What do you do? Just mix all those ingredients cold and put them in the refrigerator overnight? And then do you heat it up in the morning?

You mix them all up, put them in the fridge, and eat them cold in the morning. No heating up (warm yogurt = blech!) ;)
  • mmarlow61
    mmarlow61 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    trying this tomorrow!
  • dandaninc
    dandaninc Posts: 392
    Options
    My wife and I can't wait to try these. What an interesting concept. :smile:
  • HealthyLivingKathy
    HealthyLivingKathy Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    bump
  • neutralize
    neutralize Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    buuuuuump
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    This website has the base recipe and tons of good flavour ideas:

http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal

I find the choice of oats is important, the quick-oats can taste a bit floury. Steel-cut stay quite firm, but i like that. Ideally old-fashioned-rolled are the type to get.

Edit to say- add your sweetener after, with some fruits you won't need it. I use a teaspoon of maple syrup.

I will try it! But I will substitute hemp seed for the chia seed. They are yummier and have both Omega 3 AND Omega 6.

edit:
    ALSO: Studies have shown that cold starches are resistant to turn to sugar.
  • rjcelmer
    rjcelmer Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love these. I had one for breakfast and as a snack today. They're so simple to make and taste delicious.

I like using Silk Almond vanilla milk as opposed to regular because it adds that little extra flavor.