Offensive? Speed dating - women under sz 8 labels checked

Options
123457»

Replies

• MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options

Oh and did I miss them covering this part but do the men have to be of a certain size too or can tubby go there trying to find his supermodel because it don't matter what the men look like?

This right here is the part that ticks me off. It should have been, guys, no one over a size 32 pants, women no one over a size 8. That would have still been silly, but at least it would have put everyone on equal footing.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Wasn't Marilyn Monroe a 14? :p
  • bergsangel
    bergsangel Posts: 131
    Options
    Wasn't Marilyn Monroe a 14? :p

Actually, that's not enirely true. A size 14 then equals like a size 6 now...
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I think the offensive thing is the fact that there's no max size given for guys. If you're gonna be like this and make sure no 'fat' girls go, then do the girls a favor and also keep the 'fat' guys out. Not that I'd be admitted with my 12, but I'm just saying: at least measure both genders to the same standard!

I agree with this sentiment too. Women on dating sites also have their preferences, and it's usually to do with height. Where is the minimum 5' 10" requirement for the men? Or the statement that they must have hair if they want to be really shallow and selective?

I wouldn't want to go to this event. I'm not in the size range now, but I have been while dating, and I was often irked by the desire by a lot of men to see lots of full body pictures who didn't have a similar level of interest in wanting to figure out if I had a sense of humor or anything in common with them. I have no interest in finding someone who places that much importance on size. I have gained a significant amount of weight due to health problems. I don't intend to let that happen again, but what if it does through something I have no control of? I would always feel so insecure in that relationship, even if we were getting old and really wrinkly together.
  • AimeeBaumgartner
    AimeeBaumgartner Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Great way to divide the shallow people from the good men. I like the ones who start getting to know someone for who they are on the inside and work their way out. Of course being attracted to someone is a must, but being a certain size doesn't mean you are ugly.
  • jryan83
    jryan83 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'll be down the street selling clothing labels that say "Size 6/8" for $10.
    My slogan...."Don't let a number stop you from true love."
    Oh and one more sign "Buy one get one half off". Everybody loves a BOHO sale! :bigsmile:
  • I saw this on TV last night ... I agree with the point made earlier, it really isn't different than BBW sites. HOWEVER, the part that really bothered me was that there was a staff member that actually VERIFIED (by looking) at the tags on the clothing!
  • mollyonamission
    mollyonamission Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking they did this to stir things up maybe for a hidden camera show like what would u do and see if u defend a women getting label checked
  • BeanQueen3000
    Options
    As regards the original post...

People who make their selections for actual dating partners based on criteria like that will get everything they deserve. For better or worse.

I'd say exactly the same for bbw hunters, etc.
  • BVannillie
    BVannillie Posts: 140
    Options
    I don't agree with it, but I take the same view I take about everything - each to their own.

I would never go to one of these things, and I wouldn't have anything to do with a guy who thought like that. But if a woman is skinny and decides she wants to meet a guy who cares only about her looks, well, then who am I to tell her that's wrong?

Some girls only date guys with six packs and cars, some men only date women who have size DD boobs. It's shallow, but if it works for them then I won't knock them.

As long as they don't expect me to act like that then I'm fine. Doesn't affect me.
  • amsohs85
    amsohs85 Posts: 166
    Options
    To each his own i guess. My advice to any women attending this event is to think long and hard before striking up a relationship with any of these men. Five or ten years down the road are you going to be traded in for a new size 8 or smaller because you put on a few pounds? If you get pregnant is Mr. Wonderful going to harp on every bite of food you eat?? Is there going to be a time limit for you to return to your former svelte size 6 once the baby is born? What else about your physical appearance will he have "set standards" for? If you become seriously ill and the meds or treatments (chemo, steroids, etc) you need cause a change in your physical appearance will he run for the hills??

Or better yet: If the man you meet has a full head of hair, is impeccably groomed and has a perfect body is he going to keep up his appearance? After all if he can make requirements why can't you? Wonder how these men would feel hearing "Hey pal all i like is six pack abs and hair i can run my fingers through...you better get down to the hair club for men and the gym before i vomit!!" :noway:

Yes beauty is in the eye of the beholder...no ones going to date outside of what they find attractive. And whether you're a man or a woman if you're on a online dating site you shouldnt lie about your physical appearance. I'm sure its frustrating if you set up a date with someone from one of those sites and you find out they don't look anything like what you expected. As was mentioned earlier online sites and singles events are becoming more targeted to help narrow the pool of options so people have an easier time finding someone who "fits" them. No matter what your preference is remember this, you may find the "perfect" physical candidate for a mate but it doesnt me they are the "perfect" emotional candidate for a long lasting healthy relationship. If your only criteria is a partner who meets your absolute physical ideal of the opposite sex don't be suprised with how things turn out............ :drinker:
  • almostatgoalweight
    almostatgoalweight Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    This doesn't bother me in the least. I'm intelligent - and I'd prefer to date intelligent women (sadly I've never dated a woman brainier than me) but if there was an intelligent speed dating meetup where people had to "do a 10 minute intelligence test before being allowed in" I'd feel disappointed, almost certainly wouldn't go just in case I didn't pass the test, but I don't see anything wrong with it.

As for the male issue, maybe they have to bring in a bank statement? No one with less than $100,000 cash allowed.
  • almostatgoalweight
    almostatgoalweight Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    The people using the word "shallow" should check this thread!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/660206-not-attracted-to-overweight-women-shallow

General consensus on that thread is that having preferences is not shallow.