Coke Zero vs Diet Coke

Options
1234568»

Replies

• angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    How did a debate on coke zero and diet coke bring up Cancer? My mom died of cancer and she didn't drink diet soda at all..if we believed every story about everything that causes cancer..we would never get out of bed or leave the house..It's ridiculous that someone can't ask a question without being preached at..we all know that water is best but sometimes it's okay to have something different..to each their own..
    Rant over..I am just sick off the cancer word constantly being thrown around...
  • Gioooo
    Gioooo Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    diet cherry coke dominates.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I'd say just have a regular coke every now and again, if that's what you like. And in the end, it's better for you to just have regular sugar than the chemicals and grossness of artificial sweetener! Just my opinion. I know when I get a soda craving, which won't be often, even before the diet I drank like one can or 20 oz bottle a week, if that, but I'll have a regular coke if I want to, just plan for it in my calories.
  • nuclearbanana
    Options
    Oh my God. Oh Lord. These comments...

I'm so glad someone posted the ingredients listed. Instead of saying, "Soda's bad. Don't drink it. Something about artificial sweeteners and cancer."

Let's list the ingredients again.

Diet Coke: Carbonated water, caramel color, aspartame, phosphoric acid, potassium benzonate, natural flavors, citric acid, caffeine.

Coke Zero: Carbonated water, caramel color, phosphoric acid, aspartame, potassium benzonate, natural flavors, potassium citrate, acesulfame potassium, caffeine.

Gee wilikers, the main difference (other than quantities of shared ingredients) is potassium citrate and acesulfame potassium. The former ingredient is used to control the beverages acidity and is quickly flushed away through urine. Acesulfame potassium is an artificial sweetener. Now, acesulfame potassium has been approved by the FDA and various countries in the E.U., and has been deemed safe by them. However, there are critics out there who say that the results aren't completely conclusive, regardless, the sweetener hasn't directly caused any deaths, as far as I'm aware.

Now, aspartame. It ain't bad, guys. It's been deemed safe by the US, Canada, Britain, Germany, and over 95 ther countries since 1970. It's been tested over and over and over again, and each time the witch hunts are proved false and based on a hoax. Your body easily digests it and it won't cause cancer, abnormal insulin levels, craving even more sweets, headaches, etc.

Now, there was a study released recently (I can't find it, ATM) that stated that there was a CORRELATION of diet soda drinkers and being overweight. However, the study concluded that the diet soda wasn't causing obesity or heart problems, it's just an interesting static that goes along with an unhealthy life style. People think to themselves, "WELL I'M SAVING ALL OF THESE CALORIES BY SWITCHING TO DIET SODA, WHICH MEANS I CAN EAT ALL OF THE OREOS OF THE WORLD."

Don't make me cite my sources.

My personal interpretation of 40+ years worth of science relating to artificial sweeteners? You're fine, just don't use diet soda as an excuse to eat more junk. Which, I doubt you already will. As far as Coke Zero and Diet Coke go, it's mostly a preference thing. The second artificial sweetener in Coke Zero hasn't really caused any alarms, and I'll bet you'll be fine. But Diet coke if it will make you feel safer, because that stuff is just about as deadly as just plain ol' carbonated water.

Just watch your teeth, soda acidity isn't too great on your enamels. :D

Science!
  • Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    diet cherry coke dominates.

Diet Wild Cherry Pepsi FTW!
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Coke Zero is MUCH more tolerable, in my opinion, than Diet Coke.
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I like Coke and I love Coke Zero. I hate Diet Coke.

The difference?

I asked this question of a Coke executive.

Do you remember when they came out with the new version of Coke? The new recipe in the 80's? And everyone hated it so much so they switched back to the old (classic) recipe? This is why Coke is called Coca-cola Classic on the can. Its the classic recipe.
    Anyway. Diet Coke is the NEW Coke recipe made diet. The recipe from the 80's.

Coke Zero is Coke Classic made diet. Which is why it is so much more tasty than Diet Coke. And is why Diet Coke tastes nothing like regular Coke Classic.

If someone already mentioned this... oops :)

Don't worry. You're more likely to die being hit by lightning than by drinking diet sodas :)

interesting . thanks for the info
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options

I'm so glad someone posted the ingredients listed. Instead of saying, "Soda's bad. Don't drink it. Something about artificial sweeteners and cancer."

Diet Coke: Carbonated water, caramel color, aspartame, phosphoric acid, potassium benzonate, natural flavors, citric acid, caffeine.

Coke Zero: Carbonated water, caramel color, phosphoric acid, aspartame, potassium benzonate, natural flavors, potassium citrate, acesulfame potassium, caffeine.

Gee wilikers, the main difference (other than quantities of shared ingredients) is potassium citrate and acesulfame potassium. The former ingredient is used to control the beverages acidity and is quickly flushed away through urine. Acesulfame potassium is an artificial sweetener. Now, acesulfame potassium has been approved by the FDA and various countries in the E.U., and has been deemed safe by them. However, there are critics out there who say that the results aren't completely conclusive, regardless, the sweetener hasn't directly caused any deaths, as far as I'm aware.

Now, aspartame. It ain't bad, guys. It's been deemed safe by the US, Canada, Britain, Germany, and over 95 ther countries since 1970. It's been tested over and over and over again, and each time the witch hunts are proved false and based on a hoax. Your body easily digests it and it won't cause cancer, abnormal insulin levels, craving even more sweets, headaches, etc.

Now, there was a study released recently (I can't find it, ATM) that stated that there was a CORRELATION of diet soda drinkers and being overweight. However, the study concluded that the diet soda wasn't causing obesity or heart problems, it's just an interesting static that goes along with an unhealthy life style. People think to themselves, "WELL I'M SAVING ALL OF THESE CALORIES BY SWITCHING TO DIET SODA, WHICH MEANS I CAN EAT ALL OF THE OREOS OF THE WORLD."

My personal interpretation of 40+ years worth of science relating to artificial sweeteners? You're fine, just don't use diet soda as an excuse to eat more junk. Which, I doubt you already will. As far as Coke Zero and Diet Coke go, it's mostly a preference thing. The second artificial sweetener in Coke Zero hasn't really caused any alarms, and I'll bet you'll be fine. But Diet coke if it will make you feel safer, because that stuff is just about as deadly as just plain ol' carbonated water.

Science!

Thank you! Sick of the bro-science everywhere.
  • mamabear0222
    mamabear0222 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    With Pizza??
    cappacino or hot chocolate
    want soda? chinotto
    or Chianti if you want booze

your pizza is already making this a risk day.
    Workout like mad for this meal and have a proper italian drink

Since she said she has a soda a couple times a month, one might think perhaps she has pizza a couple times a month. Big deal. Oh, and some of us don't like to use food OR exercise as a punishment.

And by the way, nothing could induce me to drink cappuccino or hot chocolate with pizza. Gross.

LOL that was my first thought ... Ive never had hot chocolate with pizza, and even if I did, I'm not sure it's any better nutrition wise than a Coke
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Don't let the food-nazi's scare you away. Cherry Coke Zero for the win! :)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    With Pizza??
    cappacino or hot chocolate
    want soda? chinotto
    or Chianti if you want booze

your pizza is already making this a risk day.
    Workout like mad for this meal and have a proper italian drink

Since she said she has a soda a couple times a month, one might think perhaps she has pizza a couple times a month. Big deal. Oh, and some of us don't like to use food OR exercise as a punishment.

And by the way, nothing could induce me to drink cappuccino or hot chocolate with pizza. Gross.

LOL that was my first thought ... Ive never had hot chocolate with pizza, and even if I did, I'm not sure it's any better nutrition wise than a Coke
    I just want to know how hot chocolate is a, "proper Italian drink." Hot chocolate is Mexican in origin. Not Italian at all.
  • smaugish
    smaugish Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I've started to weirdly like the 'diet' taste of diet coke, but whether I choose Diet Coke/Zero or Diet Pepsi/Max depends on the time of day and the position of the sun. I don't -tend- to drink fizzy drinks like that any more anyway, mainly because I'm trying (not as hard as I could) to limit my caffeine intake because of kidney/liver problems.

As for the taste difference- I can totally taste the weird, artificial taste of Diet Coke vs Coke Zero. Granted, Coke Zero is a poor comparison to full-blooded Coca Cola, but I think it tastes better.
  • sjschewlakow
    sjschewlakow Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I can't tell a difference between coke zero and diet coke. I LOVE Diet Dr. Pepper though...(usually get walmarts diet dr. thunder). I dont drink it every day and I treat myself to it.

Diet Soda didnt contribute to my weight gain. Eating tons of food did.
  • 1hapyjac
    1hapyjac Posts: 1
    Options
    Below is from the Coca Cola website - I have also been told (from an inside source) that one is based on the "original" formula while the other is based on the "new" Coke formula.

3. What is the difference between Coca-Cola Zero®, Diet Coke® and Coke/Coca-Cola light®?

Coca-Cola Zero provides real Coca-Cola taste for variety-seeking consumers. Coca-Cola Zero is sweetened with a blend of low-calorie sweeteners, while Diet Coke is sweetened with aspartame. As for Coke/Coca-Cola light, in certain countries, the term "diet" is not used to describe low-calorie foods and beverages. In these countries, we offer Coke/Coca-Cola light. The sweetener blend used for Coke/Coca-Cola light is formulated for each country based on consumer preference
  • lschnepp7093
    Options
    I have bought a soda stream If i want a carbonated drink I will make one up . you can carbonate just about anything any you have controll of the sugar content the high fructose corn syrup is fattening
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I have bought a soda stream If i want a carbonated drink I will make one up . you can carbonate just about anything any you have controll of the sugar content the high fructose corn syrup is fattening
    tigerpalm.jpg
    HFCS is no more fattening than any other kind of sugar.
  • jensan37
    jensan37 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Definitely Coke Zero...
  • shicken684
    shicken684 Posts: 36
    Options

Science!

Thank you. I hate these types of threads. News orgs find some crazy scientist and tell people they're going to die so they get some ratings. Turns out that scientist posted a crap study in some po-dunk journal that got shot to **** by real scientist, but it makes a good headline so the media runs with it.

Just a reminder to everyone. If you hear your friend say something is good or bad in terms of your diet. Stick close to what the FDA, WHO, and other health orgs have to say. Those are the people following the advice of scientist. There is very little bull**** in their realm of study.