Others eat like crap and lose weight, WTF?!

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Your focus should be you and not others.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I guess I wonder why people care what someone else is eating? Why on Earth does it matter to you if someone else chooses to use their 1200 calories on 2 double cheeseburgers and a McFlurry? How is it hurting you? It isn't. It sounds to me like you're feeling frustrated about being at a plateau and are searching for a reason to kind of lash out about it.

I understand plateaus - I hit one for over 2 months and was so frustrated. I found that by loosening up on myself and raising my calories - I lost again.

Instead of being upset that someone else is eating this or that, focus on what you can do to break through this plateau.

BTW, I eat M&M's everyday in my Greek yogurt, I eat frozen tv dinners sometimes (like last night where I was delayed at work until 3:30am and ended up working nearly 12 hours), I eat cookies everyday. Yet, I have awesome blood work results to prove that even with the "crap", I am healthy. I lost nearly 60lbs and I've kept it off since Sept 2010.

I'm not trying to be rude, but these types of posts are why people keep their food diaries private. Who wants to be judged for their food choices? It is my body and if I want to eat M&M's and cookies, I will.

AMEN!!
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    Try living with someone like that my husband can eat crap all day long and not gain a pound he is super active and can't sit still to save his life. It's hard to be around all the junk and alcohol he brings in and not want to partake. That is part of the reason i have been having such a hard time lately. because while he is supportive he is going to eat his cheesy poofs and drink his beer and have his ice cream. In other words OP i feel your pain!!
  • waj_b
    waj_b Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    you simply need to be in a calorie deficit and you should loose 1-2lbs a week... make sure your not eating too little carbs everyday, as very low carb for more than 4 days and the body stops the fat burning process. just reach your calorie goal.. you dont even need to come under the goal... you should eat 15-20% less calories than you maintenance caloric requirement.
    make sure your not consuming too much sugar.. and record everything you eat even the small bites becuase it may be that you going over your goal without realising.. fat loss is a simple straightforward process.. dont listen to any supplement companies.. its science
  • dodgersprincess
    Options
    I confess, I eat a lot of crap and a lot of health food. On my cheat day I eat Mac and Cheese, the whole wheat kind and my veggie speggtie. I'll even confess to it at my weight-loss meetings. They say to give in to a point so you do not binge eat later. About a week ago I had a craving for Animal Crackers. I went to the $1 and got me a small bag. My problem was solved and I got back on my change of lifestyle.
  • klybarger
    klybarger Posts: 214
    Options
    I think in about a year if you compare yourself to those same people, you'll find you made the right choices for the long term. Good luck.
  • nachobunny
    nachobunny Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm still new to everything but I've learned already that I have to change things up. Different exercise routine, different meals. I try to eat all my calories on big workout days and stay close to my goal. That's worked so far for me. You are doing great - stick with it!
  • Nikki_42
    Nikki_42 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Why do the comments on these types of threads always turn into "they're not healthy on the inside and stupid to eat crap" semi-bashing? :huh: Don't hate.

If someone can eat junk and lose weight, more power to them. Making blanket statements like their "insides are destructive/dying" (and drama queen much?) is ridiculous. And yep, I eat junk a lot and have lost and my doc loves my insides. :smile:

For the OP- If you're stalled in your lose, maybe change up what you're doing exercise wise. I can't make real suggestions because only you know your body, and your diary is closed. And a 32lb loss is simply awesome, try not to be frustrated. (and maybe stop reading other's diary's if it's demotivating)
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat you are. I get frustrated with no losing and end up eating too much of stuff I said I would not eat.

To those who wonder why we care what others eat: It's not that I care; it's that we look at other diaries for ideas and examples and then see that others eat things or amounts of calories that we don't and still lose, and we wonder WHY we aren't losing like they are. It's true we are all different, but it doesn't seem fair that some can eat pizza and cake and Dr. Pepper etc etc etc and still lose and I'm eating lettuce and radishes and cucumbers and can't seem to lose anything. Yes, apparently, I'm doing something "different" so it's not working the same for me. Yes, apparently, my body doesnt' work the same way. Yes, apparently, I lose the motivation and binge. Yes....to all of those things........it just makes me jealous and sad that I work so hard and can't find success and others can. AND, yes, jealously is WRONG and I"m happy for those with success. I just wish it were me!!!! So, it's not that I "care" what others eat, I just want to eat it TOO and lose as much!!!! LOL
  • lg3703
    lg3703 Posts: 190
    Options
    body weight does not equal good health!

There are many folks who can eat a ton and "never gain weight" - however what is taking place on he inside is super destructive - high cholesterol, high BP. There is also a growing phenomenon in this country now known as "skinny-fat" - that is, a person's weight is perfect according to the scale, however their body fat % is off the charts unhealthy.

Eating tons of junk and being healthy is a myth - don't buy into it. Some may have the metabolism to burn the calories - yes, but they are not improving their health.

Eat healthy - focus on lifestyle changes and you will see the weight come off - I can attest to it!

EXACTLY!! Well said! =)

For my two cents now...

The people wo are eating the crappy food have one focus - losing weight/being skinny. They are obviously not concerned about their overall health and well being. You can be skinny and still have high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol etc.

Remember, you really are what you eat. Once i began eating clean, my body changed from the inside out. My skin glows and looks amazing, my hair grows like crazy and is thick and shiny, my nails grow like crazy and are hard, etc. I feel awake and alive and full of energy!!!!

Keep on eating clean and working out. You will succeed and be healthy doing it!

THIS, THIS, THIS!!!
    I work in health care. Those "skinny" people have diabetes, strokes & heart attacks too! Clean is the way!
  • romach79
    romach79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    What you are doing wrong is comparing yourself to others. It always seems rosier on the other side. You should do what's best for you - the key is mastery of self, not comparing yourself to others, besides they may not be any better than you - they probably have other challenges that you wouldn't want. My philosophy is do the best you can with what you got - but do the best you can.
  • cobaltis
    cobaltis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Its simply calories in vs out... If your not losing then eat less or exercise more. Its likely your overestimating calories burned and underestimating calories eaten...
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    I eat like hammered s#!t and have lost 65lbs this year. I know if I ate better my loss would be more, but I like to eat and I am going to.

What are your cholesterol numbers?

Why do you care? I will live my life the way I want to. If you don't like it, tough s&!t.
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I eat like hammered s#!t and have lost 65lbs this year. I know if I ate better my loss would be more, but I like to eat and I am going to.

Why do you care? I will live my life the way I want to. If you don't like it, tough s&!t.

I don't - point is the OP has the impression that people who eat whatever they want without gaining weight are healthy - they generally aren't. You made the point that you "eat like hammered ****" and have lost 65 pounds which infers the same thing - so I am curious to know your cholesterol.

Now that I have explained my point as a gentlemen - pull up your skirt and stick your thumb back in your mouth, Nancy!
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options

I don't - point is the OP has the impression that people who eat whatever they want without gaining weight are healthy - they generally aren't. You made the point that you "eat like hammered ****" and have lost 65 pounds which infers the same thing - so I am curious to know your cholesterol.

Now that I have explained my point as a gentlemen - pull up your skirt and stick your thumb back in your mouth, Nancy!

Ease off the PED's there Bud.. You got a bad case of Roid Rage going on.
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options

"If you don't like it, tough s&!t" - Hmmm I have roid rage huh? ha - most people who are serious about their health know their HDL and LDL levels - just sayin...
  • Bmontgomery613
    Bmontgomery613 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat you are. I get frustrated with no losing and end up eating too much of stuff I said I would not eat.

To those who wonder why we care what others eat: It's not that I care; it's that we look at other diaries for ideas and examples and then see that others eat things or amounts of calories that we don't and still lose, and we wonder WHY we aren't losing like they are. It's true we are all different, but it doesn't seem fair that some can eat pizza and cake and Dr. Pepper etc etc etc and still lose and I'm eating lettuce and radishes and cucumbers and can't seem to lose anything. Yes, apparently, I'm doing something "different" so it's not working the same for me. Yes, apparently, my body doesnt' work the same way. Yes, apparently, I lose the motivation and binge. Yes....to all of those things........it just makes me jealous and sad that I work so hard and can't find success and others can. AND, yes, jealously is WRONG and I"m happy for those with success. I just wish it were me!!!! So, it's not that I "care" what others eat, I just want to eat it TOO and lose as much!!!! LOL

So why not eat the things that you want? Now, I'm not saying go out and gorge on a hundred twinkies, but honestly I doubt that one is going to ruin your whole lifestyle change. Or, why not make things yourself? Pizza can easily be made at home and can be a pretty healthy meal. Just use whole wheat dough, lower fat cheese and lots of veggies and voila an amazing and satisfying meal. Or if you just have to have pepperoni, have them. I don't see the point in denying ourselves what we want, we just need to learn to eat less of it. I love chocolate and cakes and pizza and french fries. I still indulge in them. The difference is that I don't do it every day and I have a serving of chocolate instead of 3 or 4. Of course, I'm different from most of the women on here in that I refuse to eat only 1200 calories a day. I like food. Scratch that, I LOVE food. I will eat junk food and know that it has no other value than that it tastes good. I'm ok with that. The difference is that now I eat less of the junk food and I pay attention to what I'm doing and I eat way more of the natural stuff.

To the OP, I'm sorry you're at a plateau. I just came off of a 3 week one and it was frustrating as he**. Just do your best to do you and find what works for you. We're all on our own paths and have to find our own way. It's hard to not compare yourself to others and I get the jealousy factor. But we have to do what is sustainable for us and for some of us, that does include not so healthy foods on occasion (or daily as the case may be).

Best of luck!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

"If you don't like it, tough s&!t" - Hmmm I have roid rage huh? ha - most people who are serious about their health know their HDL and LDL levels - just sayin...
    He never said he didn't know his cholesterol. Quite frankly, his personal blood work is none of your business.
  • tamtamzz
    tamtamzz Posts: 142
    Options
    Why is this bother you (and obviously many, many others) so much?

I have this conversation with my 6 year old at least once a day, and more often when school is session. The more you compare yourself to others, the more you hold yourself back. This is a great resource, but it's also the Internet. You don't know what people struggle with on a day to day basis. The only thing you know is what people tell you.

Weight loss is frustrating! This is what I do when I get frustrated with it. I STOP reading crap on the Internet (including other people's diaries), take a closer look at what I'm doing, and start making some changes. I remember when I hit a plateau. I just couldn't figure out why. Well, I bought a HRM and figured out that my old workout was pretty much useless. I was not pushing myself like I needed to. Voila, weight started coming off again. Other times, I've gotten lazy and wasn't tracking like I needed to.

Bashing others for their choices won't change anything.
  • ChcolateLady11
    Options
    body weight does not equal good health!

There are many folks who can eat a ton and "never gain weight" - however what is taking place on he inside is super destructive - high cholesterol, high BP. There is also a growing phenomenon in this country now known as "skinny-fat" - that is, a person's weight is perfect according to the scale, however their body fat % is off the charts unhealthy.

Eating tons of junk and being healthy is a myth - don't buy into it. Some may have the metabolism to burn the calories - yes, but they are not improving their health.

Eat healthy - focus on lifestyle changes and you will see the weight come off - I can attest to it!

EXACTLY!! Well said! =)

For my two cents now...

The people wo are eating the crappy food have one focus - losing weight/being skinny. They are obviously not concerned about their overall health and well being. You can be skinny and still have high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol etc.

Remember, you really are what you eat. Once i began eating clean, my body changed from the inside out. My skin glows and looks amazing, my hair grows like crazy and is thick and shiny, my nails grow like crazy and are hard, etc. I feel awake and alive and full of energy!!!!

Keep on eating clean and working out. You will succeed and be healthy doing it!

THIS, THIS, THIS!!!

THIS! :-)