torturing your children...

Options

Replies

• Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    When my son was 5, my ex started to punish him by putting him on our Mac SE and doing 10 minutes of Mario Teaches Typing. He hated that....but he sure learned to type! Certainly came in handy now that he is a computer geek. :D
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    This isnt about torturing them.. well, kinda, but it was funny...

My husband had both of my daughters convienced (they are 13 & 15 now) that the tooth fairy was actually in jail.. for breaking and entering.. he wrote them letters signed with prison numbers and everything.. He told them that since he got caught stealing, his punishment was to be turned into a fairy, go into peoples houses, take their teeth and NOT wake them up. he had to pay them for their teeth to show he was really there...

My daughter was SO convienced that she wrote a letter back to the toothfairy and gave him his money back to help with his bail.. LOL!!
  • DianneBoo
    DianneBoo Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I do not have children of my own. But, cared for brothers four children often for several years. They were all very good at throwing tantrums in public, 'cause brother and his wife would give into what they wanted!

I hated that! So, whenever I had them and we had to go somewhere, they knew that if they threw a tantrum of any kind, we left. Just like that! We could have a full grocery cart, and I would just leave it and take them out!

Well, as they got older, they would be particularily nasty. And, the leaving thing seemed to be their goal! So, I started a new form of "torture"!

I would either start to sing and dance very loudly and badly! Plus, if there was anyone we knew...I would get them involved somehow! It is amazing how quickly they started behaving on our outings! LOL!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids - but I have been a very embarrassing aunty to my niece by opening out and pretending to sleep lots of different fold out couches in IKEA!
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Is there a Dear Abby in the house? NO, this is a diet blog.

Who crapped in your wheaties this morning? Chit chat fun and games...don't like it? Don't answer it. Simple!

10 year old - every Sunday he empties all the trash cans in the whole house AND scrubs his bathroom. According to him I am the ONLY Mom that makes their son scrub their bathroom. I told him he is the only 10 year old I know WITH his OWN bathroom! Scrub it!
    2.5 year old - I count ( he fishes counting for me now :explode: ) take things away, put him in time out...if he is naughty I discipline and since I'm the one doing the majority of it he favors daddy! Above all else, he HATES when I threaten not to rub his back before bed. He screams 'NO! I DO IT, I DO IT, YOU RUB MY BACK MAMA!'
    10 month old - she is an angel :love:
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    My children (3 year old twins) HATE, HATE, HATE it when I count... giving them a short time frame to do something in. I give them a chance to follow direction, and if they dont within a reasonable amount of time, I start the countdown. The faster I count, the faster they move. I like to experiement with speed. They always scream "NO!! DON'T COUNT, MAMA!!" as they are scrambling. Lol. I love to see how fast they can move.

HAHA! Same thing happens here! I love the "Don't count!" pleas. But I love even more how it works.
  • dasaucywench
    dasaucywench Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My children (3 year old twins) HATE, HATE, HATE it when I count... giving them a short time frame to do something in. I give them a chance to follow direction, and if they dont within a reasonable amount of time, I start the countdown. The faster I count, the faster they move. I like to experiement with speed. They always scream "NO!! DON'T COUNT, MAMA!!" as they are scrambling. Lol. I love to see how fast they can move.

Oh I love this one. Gotta try it on my son.
    If I see my son peed outside the toilet ( as most males do ) I make him clean it. Then mop. Also he has to lower the seat. One day my future daughter in law will thank me!
    Yes your future daughter in law will thank you...mine might kill me! I have yet to be able to get my youngest to lift the toilet seat and trust me, that is worse than not putting it back down! ARgggg...how many times do I have to tell him?! I do make him clean the seat after because he always makes a mess. You think he would learn!
  • CougarGrace
    Options
    GENIUS!
  • jimmeezwyf
    jimmeezwyf Posts: 140 Member
    Options
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options

Oh I love this one. Gotta try it on my son.
    If I see my son peed outside the toilet ( as most males do ) I make him clean it. Then mop. Also he has to lower the seat. One day my future daughter in law will thank me!

She should worship the ground you walk on...
    I did the counting thing too when mine were little(they are teens now), and it was very effective. One other thing that worked like magic was the kitchen timer set for bed time. I think they associated the timer with cakes and cookies coming out of the oven, and thought it was all-powerful...anyhow, they NEVER argued when the bed timer rang...
  • ambrwaves27
    ambrwaves27 Posts: 206
    Options
    I get no greater pleasure in the world then rocking out while waiting at a busy intersection with my 11 year old daughter in the front seat!!! You have never seen a kid move so fast as when she dives in shame under the dashboard. Ahhhh....its the little things...
  • jimmeezwyf
    jimmeezwyf Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Teenage daughters are the best! My daughter always wants me to drop her off down the street from school and I just pull right in front of the school where everybody is and wave. I also talk to all the kids! She absolutely HATES it!!!! lol The other kids don't mind, they think I'm a "cool" mom. You better believe everybody is gonna know who her mom is! lol
  • shellebelle87
    shellebelle87 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I just want my wife and children to be the best they can be. I don't take pleasure in beating them. I just feel I owe it to them to help them improve as human beings.

Hahah that's horrible but I'm giggling to myself
  • 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I haven't done this to my children but when I was about 12 years old my Mum had thos AWFUL hat. Really ugly and bold and handknitted and didn't match any of her clothes. If I was late into the car in the mornings (therefore making EVERYONE late) she would turn up at the school gates wearing it. I wasn't late often. She did the same with my sister too.
    Recently it arrived in the post (I can't believe she saved it) and I will use the same tactic with my 4 girls when they start at school!!
  • peles_fire
    peles_fire Posts: 501
    Options
    Great thread! :D

I torture my kids every day...I use the word "no." lol!
  • IAMDDAY
    IAMDDAY Posts: 771
    Options
    i think they torture me.. oh well
  • Kandace_Riopel
    Kandace_Riopel Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm a MEAN mom... and frequently hear "This is the worst day of my life!" Which just means I'm doing my job right!!! I have four kids, 2 boy's 2 girls, and they range in age from 10 to 5.

My "meanest" or "latest" rule is if you do something mean or disrespectful to another member of the family then YOU owe THEM a chore! I make the chore assignment so that it is fair and goes with the severity of the offense. It has to be something that will be helpful to the offended party. Making a bed, picking up their laundry, washing windows, unloading the dishwasher, dusting, cleaning the bathroom, doing one of their reg. chores, etc...

If they don't like dinner and refuse to eat a decent / acceptable amount then it goes in the fridge and they get to have it for breakfast! It only takes once or twice of soggy taco's or cold soup before they decide that they will eat dinner when it's WARM!

If they don't behave in public or at church then they "EARN" laps... We have a long driveway and a lap is all the way to the end and back. If they have been warned more then once and still keep up the bad behavior then they earn laps that correspond with their age 5 year old starts with 5, 10 year old with 10 etc... If it continues they add additional laps to that number.

I've made my boy's 10 & 8 get out of bed and run laps when they won't settle down and go to bed and have been warned multiple times. They didn't think I was going to make them run when it was dark... But that is what car head lights are for! They went to bed quietly after the laps were done.

If they are being REALLY LOUD in the car and can't settle when asked they get to walk... They walk on the far side of the shoulder of the road and I follow behind with my hazards on. It takes longer to get home but at least they aren't yelling in the car! Thankfully we live in the middle of nowhere and there isn't much traffic! Usually all I have to say is "Do I need to stop the car so you can walk?!?!?"

I took my O.D.S. NEW BIKE away because he refused to wear his socks and shoes when riding it! It was just for two day's... but because he wouldn't stay off it until he was allowed to have it back it kept getting extended. So now it's at a friends house until he can earn it back... At this point it's not looking good!

They all have chores and are only allowed 30 minutes of TV each daily. So they can choose to watch a movie, and use all of their TV time together, or each gets to pick a 30 minute show. They have to play outside in the morning after breakfast and in the afternoon we have an allotted Quite time, when it's to hot to be outside... they can read, color, do puzzles, play card games etc... But no Video Games/TV/Computer....

Their beds have to be made, their rooms picked up, (Not perfect but according to their age.) and pet's have to be fed & watered before they have breakfast... I usually just have to ask "If you can't feed them then why should I feed you?"

I've been a little lax the last couple weeks... time to crack down again after the chaos that ensued today! Summer hours are over at our house! After three hours with friend and playing in the pool they destroyed their rooms and mine too! While I was making dinner in the kitchen!

In less then an hour their rooms went from being picked up and clean to COMPLETE DISASTER areas!!! Including drawers pulled out of the dressers and toy's all dumped out of toy boxes! They aren't going to be happy in the A.M.!!!

Wow that's really LONG!!! Sorry!!

I'm sure there are more... I told you I am a MEAN Mom!

P.S. They are losing everything but their bedding tomorrow! Can't keep it picked up and be respectful of other people's things then you don't need "things" of your own... they are going to be earning thing's back for a while!

I do not think you are a MEAN mom. I think you are very structured, and I applaud you for it. Personally, I'm not quite as structured as you are, but each of us has to do what works for us. I'm a teacher, and I wish more parents leaned toward your side of fence rather than the opposite side.

Sounds like you're doing a great job. :)

I think I just found my idol....lol...NOW you should be a roll model for ALL parents these days....really, the world would be a better place.

i agree i have copied this to my computer and the husband will be reading it when he gets home ..... with our 2 kids and his 3 from previous not to mention the 3 girls we are trying desperately to adopt ..... these are all GREAT alternative to beating your kids while still disciplining them and teaching them to grow in life!!! ..... my idol! i CANT WAIT for the 12 and 15 year olds to get here this summer!!!! august is going to be SOOOO much fun for us!!
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I actually have my sons phone set to shut off between the hours of 11pm and 6am, so I don't even have to take his phone at night.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I'm also making him pay to fix his own bmx bike. He has no concept of money. He is the type that if grandma gives him a dollar he's out the door spending it. So as soon as he saves up enough, we are opening a bank account for him and 50% of all cash he gets goes into his savings.
  • cassblue21
    cassblue21 Posts: 207
    Options
    so many great ideas!