300 - 600 Calorie Daily Intake

Options

Replies

• megmanning
    megmanning Posts: 20
    Options
    I did a 40 liquid only fast for spiritual reasons several summers ago, while working at a factory. As long as you are hydrated and getting nutrients, you should be fine. Check with your family physician first though.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Why would you limit yourself before sunrise and after sunset? IMO it sounds like a silly plan.

That's the ritual of Ramadan. her question was about the calories.
  • Living4Liz2012
    Options
    Before everyone jumps off a bridge, remember she said this was for the religious observation of Ramadan where fasting is required.

I think that the shakes are a good idea because you will be getting nutrition from them; however, I would suggest slightly more calories to help you to sustain during this period; at least 1000-1200 daily. Also, remember that you will not be able to exercise in a moderate amount because your body will not have enough fuel for the workout. It would be wise to incorporate daily walking, but nothing extensive. Good luck!

@TAI I AGREE WITH WHAT YOU SAID...I RESPECT YOUR DECISION WHEN IT COMES TO YOUR RELIGION. JUST BE SAFE, CAREFUL.
  • celtictechie
    Options
    I feel like there are a lot of things wrong with this picture.

Are you observing Ramadan for the religious purpose? Or because you think it's a good way to lose weight? If it's the latter, you are disrespecting individuals' religious practices by making a fast with symbolism into a diet plan.

In other news, that calorie intake is exceptionally unhealthy. I worry that I only intake 900-1000 a day, and that's just because of 1. what I eat and 2. I just haven't been very hungry. How do you get all your nutrients on that few calories?

If you are actually doing this for the religious purpose and not for the diet purpose, then I don't see a problem, however. Many people do this as a sacrifice for their religion, and if you feel that is a good way to honor your God, then that is totally up to you!
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I had a good friend in high school who celebrated Ramadan. She struggled a lot to focus in class during the day when she didn't eat a good meal after the sun went down and before. In fact, she was not able to exercise because she got so weak by the end of the month. I have no idea how many calories she ate, but I would highly recommend not limiting your calories during Ramadan if you can help it. Your body will already be stressed out by the fact that you're trying to function on no food during the day. Drink lots of water and please please eat when it's dark!
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I did something like this last year...I would consume about 2 gallons of water a day and eat one large chicken breast in the evening after my workouts. I Lost 69 lbs in 60 days. I was around 310 at the time and ended about 240. I have to add though, every 10 lbs lost i treated myself to a good meal. which averaged out to about every 8 days or so.

I also ran like crazy, was doing swim training and cycling, burning crazy amounts of calories.

When i got to my goal weight, i went back to eating normal.
    Thank you very much - this is exactly the kind of info I am seeking. I am asking for experience from people who have tried this before, not the ignorant opinions of those who never tried this. I am fasting for religious reasons but for those people who are familiar with this fast, dusk is after 8PM and I really don't want to consume 1200 calories and go to bed a couple of hours later. Again, I am considering this. I don't appreciate being called stupid, especially from people who haven't tried this before.

I'm sorry you seem to only have taken in exactly what you wanted to hear. I think many people have been supportive of your religious reasons for fasting. The ones who are truly clueless really are probably just concerned for your health. But calling anyone stupid is unacceptable, and I am sorry you have had to hear that. But many people truly do care about other people and ant the best for them. We don't want to see you fail, or end up with health issues. I understand not really wanting to eat a lot before bed, but why can't you split it up some, and eat about half before sunrise, and half after sunset? This way, your body will be fueled all day long, your metabolism will not falter, and you will still lose weight, I promise! Whatever you decide to do, please do it as safely as you can! <3
  • SaundraM2009
    SaundraM2009 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    dizziness, weakness, mood swings, bloating, low resting heart rate, eczema (seriously), hair falling out

i dont really think this is a path you want to take. yes it takes the weight off but it isnt super worth it

Yes. Do not do it. You cannot be a functional, healthy human being on such a low intake.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    LisaSmuts BLOCKED, I WONT BE CALLED NAMES AND PUT UP WITH RUDE COMMENTS .
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I like how everyone got all up in arms about defending OP (myself included) and clarifying a need to understand Ramadan, then OP was basically like,

"LOL silly losers I just want to almost starve myself and look sexy, who cares about Ramadan".

Stay classy lady.
  • Kany
    Kany Posts: 336
    Options
    I did under 600 once but that was when I was sick in bed.
  • Flissbo
    Flissbo Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    is this serious??

Did you not read she was doing it for a fast? It's for religious purposes. Lets try to not be so rude.

some people are so ignorant, aren't they?! you're right, so rude!

to the OP- such low calories is not good for you at all. the lowest you should ever go is 1000 and that's pushing it! you will throw your body into starvation mode and it will f-ck up your metabolism. perhaps you can include something else with your shakes, like hummus and vegetables or apple/pear and peanut butter? best of luck :)

you've obviously not read the whole topic. If you have u would have seen where I said i have worked and lived in Turkey and have Muslim friends who struggled when they were eating normally before and after dark. Please read before u jump in and criticise
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    There is no need to eat so few calories. You can easily make a meal up to 1000 calories at night but having nutrient dense foods. I would advise at least 1200. I had a partner who did Ramadan, but he filled up before sunrise and after sun set. Maybe 2 x 600 calorie meals?

Happy Ramadan.
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Dani_wants_to_be_fit Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I know it's not safe and many people here will worry, but as she said it is for religious beliefs and NOT weight loss. I have no right to say anything about intake when it;s for religion.

If you do it, try to take as many vitamin supplements as possible. I have to say it would be safer to eat more, but that's a given.
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    :facedesk:

Ramadan or not, 600 calories a day is not safe for anyone over the age of 2.

My daughter is a few months shy of two, and she eats around 1400-1500 calories a day. And she is a skinny kid. Not safe for anyone over the age of two MONTHS, maybe?
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I did something like this last year...I would consume about 2 gallons of water a day and eat one large chicken breast in the evening after my workouts. I Lost 69 lbs in 60 days. I was around 310 at the time and ended about 240. I have to add though, every 10 lbs lost i treated myself to a good meal. which averaged out to about every 8 days or so.

I also ran like crazy, was doing swim training and cycling, burning crazy amounts of calories.

Thank you very much - this is exactly the kind of info I am seeking. I am asking for experience from people who have tried this before, not the ignorant opinions of those who never tried this. I am fasting for religious reasons but for those people who are familiar with this fast, dusk is after 8PM and I really don't want to consume 1200 calories and go to bed a couple of hours later. Again, I am considering this. I don't appreciate being called stupid, especially from people who haven't tried this before.
    2 gallons of water can cause water intoxication and KILL you. Your body does NOT need that much water! Another fad diet. People, you need to learn how to eat right in the first place! Eat healthy food that nourishes your body, not JUNK, fatty foods, exercise and make it your lifestyle and you will become thinner, but more importantly healthy. Hopefully, if you learn how to do this, you will patiently reach your goals, become happier and not feel the need for a QUICK fix. No quick fix is healthy.
    Whatever you decide to do, I'm going to pray for you, that you find a way to do it without making yourself ill.
    Good luck and <hugs>
  • veerichie
    veerichie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Correct me if I'm wrong but this ritual includes fasting while the sun is up, no? I went to school with someone who practiced this but I remember him saying they can eat while the sun is down. So I guess I don't understand why you wouldn't want to consume a somewhat normal amount of calories when the sun is down.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    For a month I can't imagine it would harm you too much. If I were you I would err on the side of closer to 600. I would also check in with my doc beforehand.

When you come off the month long fast and resume normal calorie eating, I would expect a period of weight gain. During the fast your body will adjust metabolically and send out hormonal signals to minimize fat and fluid loss, so when you return to normal it will take some time for your body to breathe a sigh of relief and release it's grip a little.

Do check with your doc though.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I know it's not safe and many people here will worry, but as she said it is for religious beliefs and NOT weight loss. I have no right to say anything about intake when it;s for religion.

If you do it, try to take as many vitamin supplements as possible. I have to say it would be safer to eat more, but that's a given.

Not eating between sunrise and sunset is the religious part. After sundown, food is not restricted. OP is considering eating few calories on her own, not for a religious reason.
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    LisaSmuts BLOCKED, I WONT BE CALLED NAMES AND PUT UP WITH RUDE COMMENTS .

Well, now...I'm sure LisaSmuts is just devastated over this event.:ohwell:
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options

2 gallons of water can cause water intoxication and KILL you. Your body does NOT need that much water! Another fad diet. People, you need to learn how to eat right in the first place! Eat healthy food that nourishes your body, not JUNK, fatty foods, exercise and make it your lifestyle and you will become thinner, but more importantly healthy. Hopefully, if you learn how to do this, you will patiently reach your goals, become happier and not feel the need for a QUICK fix. No quick fix is healthy.
    Whatever you decide to do, I'm going to pray for you, that you find a way to do it without making yourself ill.
    Good luck and <hugs>

-sigh-

Okay while we have discovered OP is wanting to be enabled to be an idiot....no, lets keep it to facts. Two gallons of water will not cause water intoxication.

I drink almost three gallons a day just cuz, I don't drink soda, never really cared for it except on the odd occasion. I drink water, tea, coffee, that's it. I agree fad diets are dumb but let's not spread misinformation here.
This discussion has been closed.