Petite girls r u struggling w last 10 pounds??? 5'1" - 5'3"

Options
I am 5'2" and I am finding it very hard to keep that last 10 pounds off again, seems like no matter what I eat or how much exercise I do it creeps up, and 10 pounds is alot to petite girls ..its like 20 pounds to taller people....*sigh*....I don't know what the issue is? I havent changed anything... i've gone from 110 in March to 119.6 today!!! Its very discouraging as I spend everyday at the gym, I feel like this is a big waste of time if I am still gonna gain weight...why should I bother ...anyone else out there having the same issue ?

Replies

• jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    i guess i'm the only one lol
  • gaiareeves
    gaiareeves Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I'm having a similarish problem.

I'm 5'3.5", and I've lost 37lbs so far, getting me down to 128lbs, but losing the last 10 or so lbs is proving really damn difficult. I know they're just 'vanity pounds' but I'd still really like to lose them. >_>
  • mhuch110
    mhuch110 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert, and I'm just beginning this journey. I'm 5' and hoping to get down to 110 - 115. Perhaps the problem is that you haven't changed anything. I've heard that once you lose weight you need to adjust your calories and exercise to maintain that weight. Maybe look into this more from someone who actually knows something. ;)

Best of luck to you!
  • peacheznlace
    peacheznlace Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I had that problem a time or two before. Once I had hit 120lbs it got seriously more difficult to lose even a pound, let alone 10! I agree with mhuch110 that re-adjusting your specs on MFP will help to calibrate your daily calorie limit and your calorie expenditure. Also, mixing up your workouts or doing something totally different will make your body work harder (because it's not used to doing those new workouts) and thus burn more calories. I remember when I first started running (towards a 5k), I was so out of shape and not fit at all to even go 2 minutes straight of running. Now I blow past 2 minutes easily just because my body has adjusted over time. A good rule of thumb about switching up your workouts is every 4-6 weeks. Don't give up though because all that time in the gym is definitely not wasted. If anything you can look on the bright side and see if all your hard work thus far has made you feel stronger, faster, more fit, etc.
  • NannersBalletLegs
    NannersBalletLegs Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I always have this problem. I'm 5'2.5" and prefer to be at 125 lbs. However, my body really prefers to stay at 135 lbs. It's easy for me to lose down to that point...then, I plateau. I can live with that weight, but it's not where I feel most attractive. Right now I'm down to 138 from 146 and slightly dreading the usual 135 lb dead end.

I keep hearing, though, that having muscle actually raises your BMR. I never really bothered to tone up much in the past...even at my thinnest. I guess I was what people disparagingly refer to as "skinny fat." I think I'm going to give the strength training thing a shot, though, once I hit 135. It certainly can't hurt.

Good luck finding something that works for you!
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,228 Member
    Options
    Oh yes. That last 10 pounds is a huge mountain. I'm 5'1" and have gotten down to 124, hoping for around 115. It feels awesome to be where I am now, mostly because of really toning the muscles and getting strong while losing. I know that interval training is a huge help (high intensity 30 - 60 seconds, normal pace 60 seconds: alternate anywhere from 6 to 20 times in any aerobic exercise you like), and weights with a program that gets changed up every month or so.

Still, it feels slower now, and the temptations are returning. I figure that the slowness is not a bad thing if I can re-learn how to deal with the temptation to eat more. We are small, and will never be able to eat as much as our larger friends, dang it!

I think that high fibre helps tons. Low carb has done nothing for me, but I do keep away from sugar and white flour as much as possible -- the more fibre in there the more I seem to lose. So that's what I'll try to concentrate on.

Good luck, shorties -- we'll get there!
  • MTLD
    MTLD Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi!

This is my first ever post on MFP and I've been using this on and off for the past few months. I don't even have any "friends" LOL. I thought that I could just use it as a tool on my own but it hasn't really been helping. I am 5"1 at currently at 110. This time last year I was at 100lbs. I actually have been trying oh-so-hard to get back to that since January but have been unsuccessful. I have even made the goal "easier" by aiming for just 105lbs. But the scale ain't budging. I started working out sometime in March but not consistently. Just around 3 weeks ago I started going to the gym 3x a week. It's a circuit training gym so I do a full body workout in 30 minutes. I've been watching my calories but still no movement on the scale. In fact, I've received comments that I seem to be gaining!!!!!!! SO FRUSTRATING. I really don't know what to do anymore. Haha. Glad to know that there are a bunch of us here going through the same ordeal.
  • jennaworksout
    Options
    thanks for all the advise...it just seems like I live at the gym and not seeing any results....I think I need to change up my exercise, my body is too used to it :)
  • chiera88
    chiera88 Posts: 155
    Options
    bump! i'm in the same boat. i'm going to try to mix it up. i'm bored with my usually cardio anyway. i suggest everyone try lifting weights. even if you don't lose weight, you'll look better and better over time :)
  • jennaworksout
    Options
    bump! i'm in the same boat. i'm going to try to mix it up. i'm bored with my usually cardio anyway. i suggest everyone try lifting weights. even if you don't lose weight, you'll look better and better over time :)
    Yeah I think your right...starting to do more weights, bored with my cardio as well...still doing it but not as much, I may just deligate one day a week to a super 60 min cardio session, then do 25 min every other day with weeight training
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,228 Member
    Options
    Weights certainly help - even if the scale sometimes shows a gain it's muscle replacing the remaining fat! Even with weight training, be sure to change the workout monthly and add weight each week or 2. It makes a huge difference.

A lot of people are using the book "New Rules of Weightlifting for Women" or something close to that title. It sounds like people get great results from it. In any case, doing weights, and not just little ones (!), gets you burning calories for the next 24 hours. Intervals for cardio is also super helpful and takes MUCH less time than long, straight speed cardio. Let's all mix it up more and see if we can shed these last pounds!
  • hilarysgiants
    hilarysgiants Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 2 3/4 :) So, almost 5'3". I have been struggling with those horrible last 10 lbs for a YEAR!!! I am stuck at 130. I would love to be around 120. I am trying to change my calories/exercise, ect. But so far, nothing has worked. Any tips??? I am struggling with how my stomach and thighs look. My arms are starting to look toned/fit, but my stomach is still jiggly (which some might be loose skin from babies) and thighs bigger than I like.
  • natpalit
    natpalit Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm 5'3" and am looking to just lose 10 lbs, I managed to lose 5lbs that I put on on holiday, but now that I'm back to what I was a few months ago, I can't seem to get any lower than my usual weight. Could totally do with some friends in a similar position, so anyone who's the same feel free to add me. I definitely think the way forward is for me to build more muscle.... it's just getting enough protein to build the muscle in the first place.....!
  • LaraRN
    LaraRN Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Maybe your body is "happy" at 120 (personally, I think that's a perfect weight at your height. I have a goal of 130 and I'm 5'1". You look fantastic, so you may want to continue whatever it is your doing and embrace your new weight. Congrats!!
  • jillymurdoch
    jillymurdoch Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and weight about 116 I experience a lot of fluctuation in my weight... it can be up to 5 pounds over the course of a day, depending on what I eat, how much water I drink/retain, etc. Just a few days ago I went to bed weighing over 118 lbs, woke up sweating, and when I reweighed in the morning I was under 115 lbs! Moral of the story: focus on how the clothes fit, reduce sodium, etc.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" (just under, lol) I've been struggling too. Been eating a 80% clean diet for past few weeks, and that definitely helped to move the scale again.
    This week I'm replacing most of my cardio with weight training and toning exercises and aiming to do this for a month to see what results I get.
    Haven't lost anything significant for a couple of months now, it's very frustrating.
  • LisaDunn01
    LisaDunn01 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested to see exactly what you're eating... For me to get those last 10 pounds off, I had to REDUCE my exercise (from 4-6 days a week down to 2-3 days), and ELIMINATE grains, breads and sugar.

I'm 5'3.5" and 112 pounds. (Top weight, 145 pounds.) I was stuck at 124 for quite a long time.
  • taintedbutterfly18
    taintedbutterfly18 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I am about 10-15 lbs away from my goal. I'm 5 feet tall and want to get down to 120-125. Right now sitting at 135 down from 170. Took me forever to get to this weight! I already fit back into my "skinny" clothes and am mostly focusing on getting my body more toned and strong. It is a slow process losing the last 10 or so, but I know that I'm going to make it. I've come too far not to.
  • Meikmeika
    Meikmeika Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 been struggling with these last 10-15 lbs for a while now.....sigh....

Then again, I'm sure if I eliminated all the evil sweets I can't stop consuming I would reach my goal within weeks! Ha!
  • natasha150
    natasha150 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    i am 5'3 and i know exactly what you mean. it is so tough to keep the weight off and find that my body has a number it seems to like and every year it goes up a teeny tiny bit. 5 years ago it was 56 kgs and now its sitting around 60 kgs and no matter how well i eat and how much i work out, it seems to stagnate / plateau there.

the only thing which seems to work for me is constantly wathching what i eat but have to make sure i dont starve myself. ensuring that i eat nutrition rich food and not just empty calories and incorporating exercise as part of my daily routine. i tend to treat going to the gym as part of my normal 'going to work' day.

it just gets so very hard. i feel your pain when those few pounds just want to sneak up on you.

good luck!!!!