SUGAR IS EVERY DAMN WHERE!!!

Options
33 grams of sugar is supposed to be my limit according to MFP, I take in over 100 grams of sugar and I feel like I'm eating pretty well! What are you guys getting in one day for sugar intake!!! I feel like that's what I need to eliminate to shrink my belly, but SUGAR'S EVERY DAMN WHERE!!!!

Replies

• Diazwifey2010
    Options
    I just pulled up mine and im the same way! You eat an apple and a greek yogurt and you are already over your limit...what gives?!
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Now that I'm trying to "watch" my sugars, I average about 80 - 100 grams a day. It's ridiculous. I blow my MFP limit by the time I finish breakfast. I drink kefir, I eat yogurt, I eat fruit and I indulge in sweets sometimes. I know that people say that sugar is sugar and it doesn't matter what the source is, but I try to subtract out the fruit and dairy sugars and only count the refined sugar from sweets to figure out if I'm truly "over the limit".
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    You are right, it's everywhere. I would cut out any processed food - stick with veggies, whole grains, and if you need something sweet, try using honey or maple syrup. True maple syrup has no sugar in it.
  • wookiemouse
    wookiemouse Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Plain yogurt should be around 5g, which isn't absurd. I ignore fruit sugars, I've gotten great results just by eliminating refined sugar.
  • KimInsanityP
    Options
    FEEL FREE TO ADD ME AS A FRIEND EVERYONE, I REALLY WANT TO START PAYING ATTENTION TO OTHERS SUGAR INTAKE AND SEE HOW YOU'RE DOING!
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I don't count sugar in fruits. Your body processes those different. I try to watch refined sugars.
  • AmyBecky74
    AmyBecky74 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I always go way over my limit. My love of fresh friut does me in every time. I'm at the piont I don't even pat attention to it anymore. I figure I'm losing weight so I'm doinng something right.
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    The 33g recommendation is based on an old proposed recommendation for "added sugar" a nebulous category that MFP doesn't track, making the number useless for most people. Basically if you stick to your carb level and get the majority of those from veggies and a moderate amount of fruit, your sugar will fall in line. That is unless of course you are diabetic or have another medical condition.
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Sugar from Greek yogurt is typically from the fruit on the bottom......

Its fructose that's in fruit not sucrose. That's the difference between sugar from fruit and refined sugars! They are metabolised differently and surplus of each is stored and utilized differently. Sucrose (which breaks down to glucose) is stored as fat!! Fructose remains in the blood stream and is used by mitochondria to form energy!!

Fruit is fine. There are so many benefits of it. Just watched your refined sugar intake and you should be good. I don't even have sugar in my diary anymore. I started tracking fiber instead and try for 30g a day!!!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Where did you learn that pure maple syrup had no sugar in it? 60 millititers containers 54 grams of sugar.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    You are right, it's everywhere. I would cut out any processed food - stick with veggies, whole grains, and if you need something sweet, try using honey or maple syrup. True maple syrup has no sugar in it.

Are you positive maple syrup has no sugar in it? Might want to look at that again
    Its fructose that's in fruit not sucrose. That's the difference between sugar from fruit and refined sugars! They are metabolised differently and surplus of each is stored and utilized differently. Sucrose (which breaks down to glucose) is stored as fat!! Fructose remains in the blood stream and is used by mitochondria to form energy!!

Fruit is fine. There are so many benefits of it. Just watched your refined sugar intake and you should be good. I don't even have sugar in my diary anymore. I started tracking fiber instead and try for 30g a day!!!

Lol, and sucrose is part glucose and part ?

Sugar is sugar
  • jknops2
    jknops2 Posts: 171 Member
    Options

Are you positive maple syrup has no sugar in it? Might want to look at that again

Sugar is sugar

You know, These random made up facts. I am still amazed about where people get all this crap from, or if they just make it up all themselves.
  • stargazer008
    stargazer008 Posts: 531
    Options
    Just make sure your sugar is from naturally occurring sources such as fruit to be safe!
  • linz1125
    Options

Sugar is sugar

It has no added sugar, therefore making it a clean food. If its 100%maple syrup, there's nothing else in it.
    This explains the process. No added sugar, and that's what I am avoiding.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=115

See my post earlier about "what is your definition of healthy" on my views about sugar.
  • Acg67
    Options

Sugar is sugar

It has no added sugar, therefore making it a clean food. If its 100%maple syrup, there's nothing else in it.

See my post earlier about "what is your definition of healthy" on my views about sugar.

From your own link
    It is then boiled to evaporate the water producing syrup with the characteristic flavor and color of maple syrup and sugar content of 60%
  • HeatherDee92
    HeatherDee92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I don't count sugar in fruits. Your body processes those different. I try to watch refined sugars.

This is good to know! :)
  • linz1125
    Options

Sugar is sugar

From your own link
    It is then boiled to evaporate the water producing syrup with the characteristic flavor and color of maple syrup and sugar content of 60%

But nowhere do they add it. In my book, no added sugars are OK. I guess it all comes down to what your definition of healthy is.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Ummm, true maple syrup IS sugar. It's sap from a maple tree that has the water boiled out of it to concentrate the sugar. Tree sap = sugar + water.
  • Acg67
    Options

Sugar is sugar

From your own link

But nowhere do they add it. In my book, no added sugars are OK. I guess it all comes down to what your definition of healthy is.

Metabolically how does added sucrose differ from natural sucrose?
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    also? sugar tastes good. and unless you have diabetes? doesn't matter if you're eating it. so ... bonus.