Does eating more to weight less work for everyone?

Options

Replies

• lpullum1
    lpullum1 Posts: 5
    Options
    Yes, it worked for me. Two months before I started using MyFitnessPal I started doing HIIT and eating clean, about 5 small meals a day. It was surprising how much more I was eating but the weight was coming off. I don't eat at certain times. Just when I feel that I am truly hungry. I don't like to go more than 4 hours without eating, though. MyFitnessPal is now helping to guide me to lose the last few pounds. I think now I'm building muscle faster than losing the last few but I'm ok with that.
  • Krystalmyth
    Options
    How often do you work out?
    What kind of job do you have?
    Do you commute?
    Do you go out on the weekends?
    Do you do chin ups every time you go into the basement?

~Atm, not much. I've had the flu and just moved into a new apt last week so it's been awhile. So pretty much scratched that from my result. I'm going to work my way up and start taking walks 3-5 times a week and doing some pushups, squats and other body-weight exercises. Considering HIIT training.

~IT professional for a large contractor. I literally sit for 8 hours every day. I'll get up for water and the like, but it's mostly all at the terminal. I get an hour lunch, and there is a gym here but I need membership.

Do you commute?
    ~I drive 20-25m to and from work every day.

~Yes, typically. Normally at night, or I visit friends. Every so often I'll go camping, or hitting a weekend long party but that's like once every two months or so. Most of the time it's a lot of hanging out or shopping.

~Basement? Where do you think I live, the hills? I got an apt downtown, I got no basement. xD But physical activity is limited, but I do the occasional set of pushups and will be doing more.

Either way, I just wanted to see if I was doing this properly set to sedentary. If my numbers are correct, and I did that right~ that's great. It means I can modify it from there as I tally how much I actually burn yes? Should I consider a Fitbit?

I've been losing weight without doing much exercise when I had my cals down to 1530 every day. I ate five times a day and hit 1530 and lost a pound a week without much exercise. This was before hormones, and other gender shifts. With testosterone down~ weight loss at this number just hasn't been cutting it. There's not much info for girls with my body type out there (nobody cares lol), so a lot of this is experimental.
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Not for me. If I eat above 1350 cals when trying to lose weight, It will either be a negligible amount, or none at all.

However in saying that, if I burn like 700 cals through exercise on a particular day, if I don't raise my caloric consumption by around 200 cals, then my cravings get too strong, and I end up bingeing. So it works for me once a week, but I suppose in more of a psychological way.

Also my maintenance at my goal weight is between 1500-1600 cals, and I gain if I eat any more, even with exercise. So it really depends on a lot of variables.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Do you commute?

~Atm, not much. I've had the flu and just moved into a new apt last week so it's been awhile. So pretty much scratched that from my result. I'm going to work my way up and start taking walks 3-5 times a week and doing some pushups, squats and other body-weight exercises. Considering HIIT training.

~IT professional for a large contractor. I literally sit for 8 hours every day. I'll get up for water and the like, but it's mostly all at the terminal. I get an hour lunch, and there is a gym here but I need membership.

Do you commute?
    ~I drive 20-25m to and from work every day.

~Yes, typically. Normally at night, or I visit friends. Every so often I'll go camping, or hitting a weekend long party but that's like once every two months or so. Most of the time it's a lot of hanging out or shopping.

~Basement? Where do you think I live, the hills? I got an apt downtown, I got no basement. xD But physical activity is limited, but I do the occasional set of pushups and will be doing more.

Either way, I just wanted to see if I was doing this properly set to sedentary. If my numbers are correct, and I did that right~ that's great. It means I can modify it from there as I tally how much I actually burn yes? Should I consider a Fitbit?

I've been losing weight without doing much exercise when I had my cals down to 1530 every day. I ate five times a day and hit 1530 and lost a pound a week without much exercise. This was before hormones, and other gender shifts. With testosterone down~ weight loss at this number just hasn't been cutting it. There's not much info for girls with my body type out there (nobody cares lol), so a lot of this is experimental.

Use a light activity modifier then move it up to moderate once you get over the flu.

The hills?
    Really?!
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Please do yourself a favor and ask your Doctor!!!! When I asked mine, all (3) of them the answer was "NO!" They had reasons like I am a diabetic. Other type of diseases, age, weight, height, etc. Therefore I eat what my Int. Med. Dr. told me to eat. Which is the opposite of what MFP and others on here tell people to do.

People are giving you answers based on their own physical self. YOU R NOT THEM!!! Do what is right for you.

So what you are saying for all intents and purpose as long as you dont have a disease or some type of allergy to food its okay to eat more to lose weight?
    Right?
    Diabetes is keeping you from eating more to lose weight.
    Is this because you are obese or was it hereditary?

Because I can use age, weight, height etc and tell you pretty much what you need to eat to lose weight.
    Disease aside....
  • ebooth3452
    Options
    Yes, Skipping Queen. I am really nervous but I started it today. I have been eating 1200 calories and only had an initial loss of 5 lbs. So today I upped my calories today to 1680. Plus I earned 196 calories from exercise. This just seems like a lot of food. But since so many people swear by it, I am going to give it a try.

If you are upping to be 15-20% below TDEE then do not eat your exercise calories back. They are already figured into the equation. Go to this thread to get all the facts. Dan lays it out really nicely. I've been following it for a couple of weeks and have seen some nice progress! Plus, I'm not hungry at all!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12?hl=road+map
  • ebooth3452
    Options
    Thanks to SarahRobin and HeyBales for catching my error. I would have been eating those exercise points and then complaining that it wasn't working, so thanks alot!!
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Dan, how could I possibly lose a lb. a week eating 1800/day when I did that for 8 weeks and lost a pound a month? (That pound a month is about what the math suggests, too, given my Fitbit avg. TDEE of 1950ish.)

I mean no offense, you're obviously very passionate about this, but until I have authoritative evidence (or even my own anecdotal evidence!) that a pound isn't 3500 calories, I have to believe it is.
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Did NOT work for me.. I'm now trying to lose the ~20# I gained doing it.

I'm happy (and jealous!) for those for whom this has worked, but one size does not fit all.

20 lbs over what period of time?

Because that would mean 70,000 extra calories if it is thought that was fat lbs.

That would mean 10,000 extra calories if it was glucose stores (not actually possible).

That would mean 20,000 extra calories if it was new muscle (which would then hold more glucose).

So whichever thing you think it was, divide the above by number of days to gain it, there's your surplus each day.

Now take whatever you were eating at each day minus that surplus, there's your TDEE for whatever your routine was during that weight gain time.

It was about 8 weeks. I was also doing the Stronglifts 5x5 program during that time but stopped after 6 weeks because of the weight gain, plus I just wasn't seeing any positive changes in my body or losing inches. I was eating at maintenance based (I bought into the "reset your metabolism" idea), and got my TDEE info from my BodyMedia Fit.

I'm just going back to eating slightly above BMR and cardio right now. Will add my kettlebell workout (which I was doing before Stronglifts) 3x a week starting next week. There are so many people for whom eating at TDEE worked/is working. I wish I could have been among them.

Not planning to check this thread again as I don't think I can't talk about my negative experience anymore. The weight gain has really messed with my head, I'm feeling down a lot and I have to find a way to refocus and believe that I can lose weight again.
  • Krystalmyth
    Options
    The hills?
    Really?!

Was teasing~ @w@ lol. :D Sheesh.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Did NOT work for me.. I'm now trying to lose the ~20# I gained doing it.

I'm happy (and jealous!) for those for whom this has worked, but one size does not fit all.

Because that would mean 70,000 extra calories if it is thought that was fat lbs.

That would mean 10,000 extra calories if it was glucose stores (not actually possible).

That would mean 20,000 extra calories if it was new muscle (which would then hold more glucose).

So whichever thing you think it was, divide the above by number of days to gain it, there's your surplus each day.

Now take whatever you were eating at each day minus that surplus, there's your TDEE for whatever your routine was during that weight gain time.

It was about 8 weeks. I was also doing the Stronglifts 5x5 program during that time but stopped after 6 weeks because of the weight gain, plus I just wasn't seeing any positive changes in my body or losing inches. I was eating at maintenance based (I bought into the "reset your metabolism" idea), and got my TDEE info from my BodyMedia Fit.

I'm just going back to eating slightly above BMR and cardio right now. Will add my kettlebell workout (which I was doing before Stronglifts) 3x a week starting next week. There are so many people for whom eating at TDEE worked/is working. I wish I could have been among them.

Not planning to check this thread again as I don't think I can't talk about my negative experience anymore. The weight gain has really messed with my head, I'm feeling down a lot and I have to find a way to refocus and believe that I can lose weight again.

Stronglifts specifically calls for high calories.
    Medhi speak a lot about energy balance and how it will be uncomfortable eating 3k a day but over the 12 week period your body adjusts and uses the nutrients for muscle gains.
    He's speaking mostly to men in this regard but 20% above my TDEE is about 3k.
    For a woman you would be consuming appx 2200-2800 on the SL program.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Dan, how could I possibly lose a lb. a week eating 1800/day when I did that for 8 weeks and lost a pound a month? (That pound a month is about what the math suggests, too, given my Fitbit avg. TDEE of 1950ish.)

I mean no offense, you're obviously very passionate about this, but until I have authoritative evidence (or even my own anecdotal evidence!) that a pound isn't 3500 calories, I have to believe it is.
    If only cutting 3500 a week really meant we lost that pound.
    If only weight loss worked that way.

Cutting 20% from the fitbit info gives you 1500-1600 a day.
    I'll eat your extra calories if you like.
    Thats an extra snack a day.
    But thats too much for you to take.
    A 200 cal snack.
    Even if it could possibly lead to better fat loss.

I wish you luck with your weight loss.
    I'm done preaching.

*steps off soapbox*
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Huh, that would mean about 1250 surplus calories every single day above true TDEE, if that 20 lbs was thought to be fat.

Sounds like eating above maintenance, and doing a strong weight lifting program.
    That spells muscle gain, even in 8 weeks.
    Plus the means of storing extra glucose and water in muscles now being used and fed.
    Plus water retention in the muscles do to microtears from strong program.
    Plus if you started with weight at deplenished glucose stores, false weight loss, easily made up.

Sorry it didn't work for you, hope you go back to try to get something from the weight lifting.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Edit....Goodnight gang!
  • moss11
    moss11 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Bump. Want to read this later!
  • Ladywindchaser
    Ladywindchaser Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Anyone with any good sense should know to ask their Dr. and not someone on a forum for advice.
  • Ladywindchaser
    Ladywindchaser Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Mr. Smart Azz you do you think you are? What degree do you have in Medicine? What makes you such an expert? Cause you came on some forum and lost some weight?

If you think that you really are a dumb azz! Charts, math, etc. is that to make you think you are smarter than everyone else.

Why don't you grow up and act like a grown up and stop attacking people for having different opinions. Mine is actually based on MEDICAL PROVEN ADVICE!

ASK YOUR DOCTOR NOT AN IDOIT ON A FORUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Tanitam
    Tanitam Posts: 15
    Options
    bump
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Anyone with any good sense should know to ask their Dr. and not someone on a forum for advice.
    Anyone with good sense knows their Dr. doesn't do much study on nutrition.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Anyone with good sense knows their Dr. doesn't do much study on nutrition.
    Yup. And for what it's worth, Dan's approach is consistent with what was suggested to me by a registered dietician.