Fruit: Yes or No?

Options

Replies

• gimlara
    gimlara Posts: 6
    Options
    Ohhh, fruits are bad ( if you want to loose weigt) I was liwing in Spain for 3 months, and i was working out every day and was eating mainly fruits ( as it was hot, and other foods were greasy etc) and i didnt gained weigt on the scales, but i got kinda bigger - my face ect looked like i have gained weigt, though i was loosing it, but because of the fact- i was living on fruits- thats what happend. So be careful with fruits using them daily!!!!
  • savageman69
    savageman69 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Fruit is great i eat some every day...some days 3-5 servings DO NOT cut it out.....Those who are saying its bad if you eat to much well duh thats kinda the purpose of mfp, if you eat anything over your burned calories in the day you will not lose weight because when if comes down to it weight gain is surplus of calories and it doesnt matter if its to much fruit, soup, bread, meat, eggs if you eat to many calories thats where you gain weight.

Fruit alone is not a weight gainer and i can pretty much say no one got fat from only eating to much fruit...If you want to eat half your calories in fruit a day you can long as you hit your macros and come in under your used calories in the day you will lose weight
  • Janet55555555555
    Options
    Eat fruit! It is good fiber, especially apples!
  • Exill
    Exill Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Sugar from fruit is fine because you're getting fibre along with it which helps your body metabolize it properly. Stay away from juice, though, because the fibre has been removed and is just sugar. I eat a lot fruit! It's replaced junkfood for me and I don't feel guilty eating it because it's generally low in calories, is mostly water, and helps keep things regular. ;)
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Fruit: Hell yes.

I second the Hell yes!
  • ncates00
    ncates00 Posts: 51
    Options
    Fruit is awesome. I don't follow it to a tee, but Paleo is fairly strict and fruit is definitely allowed. Fruit is nature's candy! I think what can be bad is eating TOO MUCH fruit. They do have sugar, but it is natural sugar and not artificial sweeteners. Just watch the amount you take in. I eat lean meat, veggies, fruit, nuts, and other things too (that's the not Paleo part lol). I have cut considerable fat. I've lost 57 lbs and I have just a tad of lower ab flab, but I'm very defined nonetheless. I ate fruit the whole time!
  • fallonrhea
    fallonrhea Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Honestly I think it really depends on how much exercise you're getting. If you can burn the fruit off - it's not a problem. If you eat fruit all day and just sit around - that's a lot of easy carbs that can get converted to body fat.

I work out ~3 hours a day and eat tons of fruit (floating around 50-60% carbs a day) and I've lost an incredible amount of body fat over the past couple of months...

Then again every person is different. If your body is still responding to your diet/exercise plan while eating fruit - then go for it. If not, you may have to rethink your nutrition.
  • duncanryan
    duncanryan Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Solely from what I learned from reading "Why We Get Fat and What to Do About It," if you're going to eat "clean" you should eat fruit with low sugar content (any type of berries). Gary Taubes argues in the book that the sugar in an apple is the same as that in a Twinkie. Much of the book focuses on how one should work to reduce the amount of insulin secreted by our body so that we can mobilize fat for a source of energy rather than sugar. He also states that fruits today have more sugar than they did before because they're grown differently.

This is just one side of the argument, and I'm not sure I fully subscribe to his views, but the evidence presented in the book is compelling nonetheless.

That said, I think that you can eat what you want in moderation. It's all about control.
  • portalm
    portalm Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Fire your trainer.

^^ Ditto

3rd^^
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Fire your trainer.

^^ Ditto

3rd^^

4th
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    You know, forget fruit. In fact, forget eating anything. Food is bad. It will make you gain weight, causes inflamation, and will give you a heart attack. Just drink water and plug yourself into a battery once a week.
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert but I love fruit & vegetables. I eat fruit everyday and have maintained a healthy weight for over ten years now. I eat apples, strawberries, and other berries almost daily. I also love melons, peaches, tropical fruit, etc.
  • MILFdoesabodyGd
    MILFdoesabodyGd Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    there's a reason fruits are in the food pyramid.

2-4 servings a day for PROPER NUTIRTION

anyone who says otherwise is a quack, in my opinion
  • brittany17love
    brittany17love Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Fruit is really good for you! It makes your immune system stronger, it makes you healthy, so keep eating fruit! (:
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I know, all those super fat people eating apples and pears.

I love fruit, I don't count the fructose sugar in it. Its not like eating a pack of Twinkies.

If you eat enough fruit it can be just as bad as eating a pack of Twinkies.

Something for everyone to consider.....................

When I first went on Atkins and got to Phase 2 where you start adding in higher carb vegetables and fruit I went and got blood work done at my Dr's office..............

I was eating A LOT of FRUIT and VEGETABLES.................my Triglycerides were sky high. The Dr sent me to a dietician and I was limited on the amount of fruit I was allowed to eat (replaced the fruit with lower carb vegetables).

i was limited to eating no more than 3 servings of fruiter PER WEEK.

You all need to understand that it is not merely about the "calories, no fat".....................sugar (AND YES THAT INCLUDES FRUIT) will raise your triglycerides - which leads to inflammation that causes heart disease.

You were eating a lot of fruit and veg whilst on the Atkins??
  • RiannonC
    RiannonC Posts: 145 Member
    Options

I love fruit, I don't count the fructose sugar in it. Its not like eating a pack of Twinkies.

If you eat enough fruit it can be just as bad as eating a pack of Twinkies.

Something for everyone to consider.....................

When I first went on Atkins and got to Phase 2 where you start adding in higher carb vegetables and fruit I went and got blood work done at my Dr's office..............

I was eating A LOT of FRUIT and VEGETABLES.................my Triglycerides were sky high. The Dr sent me to a dietician and I was limited on the amount of fruit I was allowed to eat (replaced the fruit with lower carb vegetables).

i was limited to eating no more than 3 servings of fruiter PER WEEK.

You all need to understand that it is not merely about the "calories, no fat".....................sugar (AND YES THAT INCLUDES FRUIT) will raise your triglycerides - which leads to inflammation that causes heart disease.

It's not true that eating enough fruit can be as bad as eating a pack of Twinkies. Yes if you ate enough fruit you might get as much sugar as that, but fruit also comes with a lot of fiber, vitamins, and water, which the Twinkies will not give you. I honestly don't know how you can even consider comparing the two.

Some people's bodies may be more sensitive to the amount of sugar in fruit than others, and may therefore have to limit the quantities, but most people will be able to eat as much fruit as they want as part of a healthy diet.

The fiber and water in fruit will fill you up quickly so it's not easy to eat more of it than you should (unlike junk food).
  • Christi_Kitty
    Options

MM TWINKIES!!!
    Kidding!
    his just made my day (:
    Fruit is better IMO anyway, lol
    Unless you're on a carb restricting diet, eat fruit. Amazing for you (:
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Obviously theres lots of good stuff in fruit in terms of vitamins and fiber but there is the sugar. Better sugar than in candy I grant you, but if you are on a serious cut then I would say no to fruit if you can stand it - esp the high sugar stuff. Veg is better for nutrients.

In general I am finding that fruit is a bit annoying in that it just makes me want to eat more. I like it, its not unhealthy, but in terms of cals I need to watch it because I could eat it by the wagon load. I try just to ahve 2 max 3 portions a day
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing an all fruit breakfast. Fruit is raw and clean and therefore goes right through your body..no time wasted digesting in your stomach. With that, you also have more energy. Well, I do anyway. Here is a quote from the site I read about this... "It is easy to digest and the sugar from fruit (glucose) is in the form that your body can easily turn into energy". Here is the article if you would like to read. http://www.rawplus.com/fruit_for_breakfast.html
  • MILFdoesabodyGd
    MILFdoesabodyGd Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    ....I'm going to go have a big bowl of fresh strawberries now.

mmmmm