"No Mayo?" Why Americans Are Fat

Options

Replies

• fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I ask for extra mayo when I order at the deli. I like mayo. How often do I order at the deli...not often enough to care, but what I can't stand is a dry sandwich. And mustard is not an appropriate taste substitute for someone who likes the taste of mayo. There are worse things in life.

The mayo I use at home has 40 cals per Tbsp, 4g fat, no saturated fat, no cholesterol and a negligible amount of sugar (<1%). And 1 Tbsp is plenty for me when I'm making a sandwich.

I'm a southern girl and I'm insulted if someone puts mustard in my potato salad instead of mayo.

Twinkies, cupcakes, Krispy Kreme, too much eating out to excess and lack of exercise and sleep are why I'm fat. Not mayo.
  • Cristofori44
    Cristofori44 Posts: 201
    Options
    2 cents: When I lived in Argentina I unwittingly lost 10 lbs. eating fresh bread and other delicious things that seemed like they should be a bajillion calories each, like alfajores, empanadas, milanesas, dulce de leche, and ice cream. In my host mother's infinite wisdom she explained that it's because in the US we eat food with too many preservatives, therefore preserving the fat on our bodies. I don't put a lot of stock in this statement, but it is a fun little explanation. Yes, I'm overweight, because I chose to eat large portions of foods that contain too many preservatives.

When I was in Peru I lost 10 pounds in two weeks. Lots of chicken, fish, rice, vegetables. There's a lot to be said for eating natural foods versus a bunch of processed junk. Yes, there are singular exceptions to general statements---e.g. I can have this piece of junk in moderation--but when you look at the American diet as a whole, it's not a very good one. Michael Pollan makes this point lucidly in a number of books--Omivore's Dilemma, Food Rules, etc.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    We are fat because a double cheeseburger is $0.99 and a smoothie is almost $8.00. Nine times out of ten the healthy option will cost more dough than junk food.

Or is it simple supply and demand? Americans choose to eat the double cheeseburger and turn their noses up at smoothies and "rabbit food" so the unhealthy food costs less and profit can still be made on volume.
    It's the fact that beef is subsidized, as is wheat, and corn. Meanwhile only 2% of farms grow fruits and vegetables, because there are no subsidies, and it's ridiculously more expensive to farm fruit and vegetables than it is to farm corn, wheat, or beef.

Good point, I stand educated.
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    i like mayo.... but i eat the kind made with olive oil and i measure how much, but only at home. if we eat out, i don't order mayo on my sandwiches either since i can't measure how much they're putting. :)
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Cutting CALORIES will result in weight loss. Cutting mayo will only result in weight loss if you don't add an equal amount of calories from another source. If you cut 100 calories of mayo, and replace it with 100 calories of fruit, you won't lose any weight, even though you cut out mayo.

Again, it's calories that matter, not individual food items.

True.

If you want to lose weight simply carve out a certain amount of calories in your diet and manage all of the impending cravings to make sure that you don't fall off the wagon.

If you want to be healthy, watch where your calories come from, eat whole foods and avoid hyper-processed items that have had their fiber and micro nutrients removed.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Exactly what am I supposed to be surprised about in that post? Mayo is relatively high calorie? So is an avocado.

What are the micro nutrients and fiber found in 200 calories of mayo versus 200 calories from an avocado?
  • Kebby83
    Kebby83 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I agree that portions in America are out of control. They are HUGE. I grew up in England and moved to America when I was 18. This was over ten years ago, so it could be different now but if you were to have a large mcdonalds fries in America it is huge compared to that I would have received in England. Now, I'm not saying that England is any healthier - I am just saying the proportion size is out of control.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Every country has SOME bad eating habits. Don't fool youself. Did you know that many Canadians' condiment of choice for french fries is GRAVY?! They serve that option in most restaurants there that offer french fries. I had never heard such a thing before we started vacationing there once a year (from childhood on.)

Mmm chips and gravy. Very British actually, (in Yorkshire especially) and very delicious. Thank the Canadians for introducing you to this treat! Like so many other things, it's fine, in moderation...
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    We are fat because a double cheeseburger is $0.99 and a smoothie is almost $8.00. Nine times out of ten the healthy option will cost more dough than junk food.

Or is it simple supply and demand? Americans choose to eat the double cheeseburger and turn their noses up at smoothies and "rabbit food" so the unhealthy food costs less and profit can still be made on volume.
    It's the fact that beef is subsidized, as is wheat, and corn. Meanwhile only 2% of farms grow fruits and vegetables, because there are no subsidies, and it's ridiculously more expensive to farm fruit and vegetables than it is to farm corn, wheat, or beef.

Good point, I stand educated.

It's only since I joined this site that I have had any insight into the effect of subsidies on the average American diet (I'm a Brit, and I've had to do a lot of googling). I wouldn't claim to be any sort of expert - but it's bizarre to me that the majority of Americans on this site seem not have the faintest idea... Fat is a political issue, especially in the US.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If you type "if you cut out mayonnaise will you loose weight?" on google every response says absolutely. Replace mayo for mustard. Mayo may have benefits as some of you people are saying, but in the long run, if you just dont eat it, it will make a small difference in weight loss.

I have mayo about once every two months, and a small portion of it. I have been on a plateau for a year. So if I just cut that little bit of mayo I eat out, then I'll break my plateau?

AWESOME!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Why would you have cheese with mayo anyhow? You've already got creamy yumminess going on there. Any meat stuff, or especially tuna, I'd understand what mayo adds.

Anyway, a 30g serving of cheddar (which is very modest, most sandwiches would have far more) has 125 calories whereas a 15g tablespoonful of real, delicious mayo has 108 calories. Plus in most cases white bread has fewer calories per slice than wholemeal, if that's what floats your boat.

Losing weight is all about the calories, eating healthy is making good, balanced choices 80% of the time. And as far as I'm concerned, a little oil mixed with eggs is pretty darn healthy. Like an omelette in dressing form. Unlike these ingredients in low-fat mayo:
    WATER, MODIFIED CORN STARCH*, SOYBEAN OIL, VINEGAR, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP*, EGG WHITES, SALT, SUGAR, XANTHAM GUM*, LEMON AND LIME PEEL FIBERS*, COLORS ADDED*, LACTIC ACID*, (SODIUM BENZOATE*, CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA) USED TO PROTECT QUALITY, PHOSPHORIC ACID*, NATURAL FLAVOURS.

*INGREDIENTS NOT IN MAYONNAISE.
  • blair_bear
    blair_bear Posts: 165
    Options
    :huh: I love post topics with sweeping generalizations.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I like mayo, but I don't eat it in excess. I only use a little at a time. This comes across like you think we all eat a jar of mayo a week and I find this post to be somewhat condescending and rude for all us on this site trying to be healthier and change. In fact, it is insulting to classify us all as fat just because we do not eat like other countries. Portion sizes are TOO big in restaurants and many people do not make healthy choices because that's how they're used to eating. I guess I just don't understand why'd you'd post something like this on a fitness and health site where others are making an effort to better themselves.
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Whenever I order a sandwich at a deli, I give the precise description of what I want: whole-wheat bread, cheddar, lettuce, tomato and mustard. Nine times of 10, the counter person replies: "No Mayo?"

Nope, don't want the empty calories and fat that come with Mayo or white bread.
    Mayo is not very flavorful in any case and white bread tastes no better than wheat.

Add up all those mayo and white bread calories, not to mention high-fructose corn syrup in sodas, the propensity of Americans to eat fast food or packaged food products, and a generally sedentary lifestyle, there's little wonder why Americans are so chunky. I recall several "aha" moments even in Italy where I saw thin people drinking wine, eating pasta. They tend to walk a lot more, eat fresher food, their pizzas are ultra-thin crust, and it's nearly impossible to find mayo, Cokes and fries. Dessert and snacks there are usually fruit, sometimes a small scoop of gelat, unless it's a special occassion.

I recall at my heaviest my meals consisted of McMuffins, burritos and chips, Domino's pizza. For what it's worth. One can make allot of progress just by eating more fresh stuff and cutting the junk.

I hate mayo, never have liked it and never eat it and I gained weight :P. But I agree with you, food is very accessible plus we don't need to put in the physical labor as we use to and its creating unhealthy environment for most people.
  • shaelataylor
    shaelataylor Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    i got fat even though i didnt really drink soda or eat white bread or eat mayo. maybe those are to blame for a lot of people, but not in my case i guess. i hate mayo. i only ate white bread if it was the only option. i had maybe one soda a month. i just had too much food in general.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    i got fat even though i didnt really drink soda or eat white bread or eat mayo. maybe those are to blame for a lot of people, but not in my case i guess. i hate mayo. i only ate white bread if it was the only option. i had maybe one soda a month. i just had too much food in general.

My mother has always had the healthiest diet of anyone I know. She doesn't like pretty much any junk food and eats tons of fruits and veggies.

She just eats more than she needs to and doesn't exercise. She's been overweight most of her life.
  • sunshine77493
    sunshine77493 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I try to replace the bad fats with good ones. For instance, when an Avocado is available, it makes a very yummy replacement for mayo and it's a good fat.
  • Bearded_Slakoth
    Bearded_Slakoth Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Mayo isn't too bad. But there are much healthier options of mayo out there. I get horseradish dijon stuff by mayo and it's only like 50 calories a tbsp or so.
  • AnitaVolpato
    AnitaVolpato Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Mayonnaise is the nastiest crap ever! I have always hated it. I can only eat it when it's chicken salad or potato salad ... isn't that weird?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    If you were to hypothetically consume only mayonnaise and consumed over 6000 calories you wouldn't gain any fat at all. Mayo by itself doesnt make you fat carbohydrates do. Why? because of insulin. Mayo is pure fat and does not spike insulin at all. you are blaming something that does not make you fat carbs do. The problem with carbohydrates though is that they taste amazing.

This is 90s thinking. In the 80s it was, "Only fat makes you fat." If you only consumed mayo at 6k/day, you would not only be deprived of nutrients, you would be as big as a house. Both fat and carbs should be in your diet, just in small amounts.