Closed Diary's

Options

Replies

• FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    My diary will always remain public, but I did get annoyed the other day when someone kept insisting I eat more fruit and veg. If they had looked at my previous logs, they would have realised I get enough of each. So yeah, I understand why people prefer to keep 'em private. However, I'm nosy and I like to look through them for meal ideas, so more people should open them up! Pretty please? :)
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I have found over time on here that people can be so darn picky. lol
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    None of your business why.....if their diary is closed just don't comment on it.

Awesomeness

the other awesomeness is your ticker photo--I am hoping to see that movie this weekend!

Soooooooo worth sitting through the weak storyline, just FYI :wink:
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    I find it frustrating that everyone gets so hung up on seeing everyone's diary. Unless people are asking for help with their calories or whatnot, WHY is it so important that people know what others are putting in their mouths? I have a disclaimer in my profile that states my diary is my own business, I won't look at others' either unless asked.
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    Don't see how it's your business @ the OP
  • Rwtmo
    Rwtmo Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Mine is closed to people I am not friends with. The only reason I have it open to friend is because I am "friends" with my husband who copies my meals because they also his meals.

I hate feedback on my food journal, honestly. You don't know if somebody had a "good day" just because they were under their calorie goals (they could be sick, stressed -- you have no idea) -- you don't know if you should really be telling somebody "tomorrow will be better" if they went over -- I go over when I feel like my body needs it and I am not worried about it for a second.

I don't need strangers monitoring and commenting on my food intake -- unless I have a very specific question. Unless that happens -- oh wait it won't cause I'll ask a doctor, my diary is closed.

This.
  • BVannillie
    BVannillie Posts: 140
    Options
    Mine is closed to people I am not friends with. The only reason I have it open to friend is because I am "friends" with my husband who copies my meals because they also his meals.

I hate feedback on my food journal, honestly. You don't know if somebody had a "good day" just because they were under their calorie goals (they could be sick, stressed -- you have no idea) -- you don't know if you should really be telling somebody "tomorrow will be better" if they went over -- I go over when I feel like my body needs it and I am not worried about it for a second.

I don't need strangers monitoring and commenting on my food intake -- unless I have a very specific question. Unless that happens -- oh wait it won't cause I'll ask a doctor, my diary is closed.

This.

LOL Adipose!

Also, I agree with seeing a Doctor. Some people on here lose a few pounds and think they're experts. If I have a serious question about my nutrition I will ask a professional, not someone who has a picture of their boobs as their avatar.
  • MikeLeamer
    Options
    I thought MySpace was reborn for a moment...

Okay, I needed a laugh this morning. Thank you, OP.

All I've got to add is this:

Why not just buy yourself an ant farm and shake it every time you need to control something? Then take your best "duckface" photo, post it to show how "gangsta" a Stepford wife can be, have a Coke and a smile, then go yell at the neighbor for not cutting his grass evenly.

Hilarious stuff.
  • redshoeshelley
    redshoeshelley Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    We are all here for the same, yet very different reasons.

I closed my food diary after a series of personal attacks on a forum. A comment I made about protein drinks and how helpful they are to me on a forum and an MFP'r decided that because my ticker only showed a 10 lb loss, and that because I drink protein drinks daily, that it was okay to dissect every single aspect of my food diary and blast me for my "non-existent weight loss" and said I shouldn't be offering my advice or point of view. This person didn't take the time to ask what my goal was or if my current goal is the same goal as it was when I started.

In another forum post, this same individual attacked me yet again for posting on another forum ... I don't need the negativity.
    I eat relatively clean, I am very active and the only person I have to be accountable for is me.

For me, it's a personal choice ...
  • peggymenard
    peggymenard Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Closed diaries get to me also. I figure if I can hang it all out there to MFP then pals can see what I eat. If they object, they may not know how to adjust the settings. One can use a code number to unlock. Not sure how this works. On the other hand, nutritious eating is an IMPORTANT part of weight loss and some may be embarrased at their food choices. To those I say, you are not serious about your health. If you want to be friends with me, you gotta show your food diary.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Closed diaries get to me also. I figure if I can hang it all out there to MFP then pals can see what I eat. If they object, they may not know how to adjust the settings. One can use a code number to unlock. Not sure how this works. On the other hand, nutritious eating is an IMPORTANT part of weight loss and some may be embarrased at their food choices. To those I say, you are not serious about your health. If you want to be friends with me, you gotta show your food diary.
    This may have been the most condescending, ridiculous thing I've read today. Because I feel what I eat is none of your business, and I don't care that you're nosy and feel some sort of entitlement to know what everyone else is doing, I'm not serious about my health? Wow, well, then I guess I'm damn sure glad I'm NOT your friend.
  • peggymenard
    Options
    I record my calories for me, not for anyone else. I don't need anyone else to see my diary. I am here for me and not for other people to judge my food choices. There is a support system here that can be had and is good to have without them needing to see what I ate today.
    If they are my friend, I tell them I don't like it because I can't keep them accountable for being healthy if I can't see what they are eating or how far under they ate (alot of people with ED's on here and I DON'T want to encourage that). And I'm not going to go around calling people out on what they ate, unless we are close MFPers. But if someone ate all fresh vegetables, lean meats, healthy stuff all day and are under, I am going to compliment their diary. If they ate all Mcdonalds and cheesecake, even if they stayed under goal I'm not going to compliment them. I think there is more to MFP than just staying UNDER your goal, although it is an important part.

I review some diaries because I get ideas from them. I also comment on my close MFPers because part of the condition of being my friend is that you have an open diary. We have no problems and the support and compliments of doing good are sincerely meant.

If they ask me how to open it I tell them. .

If they keep it closed, I defriend them. :ohwell: I feel bad doing it, but I can't really be your "friend" if you are keeping that significant of a secret from me.

If they are not my friend I don't even look anyway...unless they are posting for help in a message board or something.

Honestly people shouldn't need YOU to keep them accountable for their food choices. They need to keep themselves accountable because they won't always have someone saying "you ate too many calories today, bad you!" Or "you need to eat more calories, bad you!" "you had pizza, nooO! mortal sin!" Or whatever needs to be said to "keep them accountable". I can definitely understand not wanting to encourage eating disorders, but other than that...no big deal.
  • redshoeshelley
    redshoeshelley Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    This may have been the most condescending, ridiculous thing I've read today. Because I feel what I eat is none of your business, and I don't care that you're nosy and feel some sort of entitlement to know what everyone else is doing, I'm not serious about my health? Wow, well, then I guess I'm damn sure glad I'm NOT your friend.

Agreed.
    OUCH.
  • MikeLeamer
    Options

With friends like you, who need enemas?

I'm here every Wednesday, folks.
  • third_time_lucky
    third_time_lucky Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    im pretty new here and not sure if my diary is open or closed! its how ever it comes standard!!

i have nothing to hide, i dont mind who sees that i had a rather yummy apple doughnut today haha i burnt it back off :p but either way, how serious i do/do not take my eating is my choice, and they are choices please or offend!!!

life is too short to worry about hiding what i eat, if i lived without carbs and cheese i would be nice and skinny.....im not....its pretty obvious i like the odd treat :p everything in moderation :D
  • BVannillie
    BVannillie Posts: 140
    Options

It's a good job nobody cares what you think then, huh?
  • bwmiller1
    bwmiller1 Posts: 98
    Options
    i had my diary closed for a few months b/c i didn't know there were privacy settings. someone asked me why I kept it closed and i said i don't. It was an honest oversight. That was my reason. I don't really care who sees. I've noticed it (can be) a touchy subject, so I don't comment on or about other people's logs. that's just me.
  • bigphatcat
    bigphatcat Posts: 7,843 Member
    Options
    for me I keep it closed because I don't want to hear what people think about what I eat. Some of my friends comment to each other about their diarys and it's sometimes negative. I think that is counter productive...kinda like calling someone fat
  • peggymenard
    Options
    Food, privacy and weight loss...very touchy subjects. OMG I love freedom of speech.
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I record my calories for me, not for anyone else. I don't need anyone else to see my diary. I am here for me and not for other people to judge my food choices. There is a support system here that can be had and is good to have without them needing to see what I ate today.
    If they are my friend, I tell them I don't like it because I can't keep them accountable for being healthy if I can't see what they are eating or how far under they ate (alot of people with ED's on here and I DON'T want to encourage that). And I'm not going to go around calling people out on what they ate, unless we are close MFPers. But if someone ate all fresh vegetables, lean meats, healthy stuff all day and are under, I am going to compliment their diary. If they ate all Mcdonalds and cheesecake, even if they stayed under goal I'm not going to compliment them. I think there is more to MFP than just staying UNDER your goal, although it is an important part.

If they ask me how to open it I tell them. .

If they keep it closed, I defriend them. :ohwell: I feel bad doing it, but I can't really be your "friend" if you are keeping that significant of a secret from me.

If they are not my friend I don't even look anyway...unless they are posting for help in a message board or something.

Honestly people shouldn't need YOU to keep them accountable for their food choices. They need to keep themselves accountable because they won't always have someone saying "you ate too many calories today, bad you!" Or "you need to eat more calories, bad you!" "you had pizza, nooO! mortal sin!" Or whatever needs to be said to "keep them accountable". I can definitely understand not wanting to encourage eating disorders, but other than that...no big deal.

^^^^ this!!

If someone finds it helpful to keep their diary public so people can give them advice or praise on a good day or whatever, then they can keep it public. If they don't want that, and just want to use the site to track what they eat, why should they open it? It's not really anyone else's business how other people use the site. And if someone has a closed diary and you don't want to say "well done" because you don't know what they actually ate, then don't say well done. If they wanted you to say well done or comment on what they ate, they'd open their diary.

I don't understand why this is such a big issue that threads are constantly appearing on the subject. How other people choose to use this site is their own business, surely?

And just because someone's diary is closed does not mean they feel embarrassed or ashamed about their food choices. Some people don't want or need other people's comments and/or praise to stick to a healthy diet.