SUGAR IS EVERY DAMN WHERE!!!

Options

Replies

• kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    my solution was to remove the sugar column from my diary. i don't distinguish between "sugar" and "carbohydrates".

Smart fella. :smile:

except carbohydrates (at least here in the States) also include fiber. And fiber is key.
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Raising your blood sugar results in crashes in healthy people as well.

Stop making things up.
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    my solution was to remove the sugar column from my diary. i don't distinguish between "sugar" and "carbohydrates".

Smart fella. :smile:

except carbohydrates (at least here in the States) also include fiber. And fiber is key.

When you say they include fiber, are you talking about nutrition labels which give total carb grams and then under that show how many fiber grams are in that particular serving? Effective or Net carbs is indeed something to factor in but there are carbs without fiber. Granulated sucrose (table sugar) for example.

However many grams of table sugar you eat, you are eating that many grams of carbs without any fiber. Inulin on the other hand is a whole different ball of wax.

Inulin:

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size: 1 Teaspoon (2.5 g)
    Servings Per Container: 90

Amount
    Per Serving % Daily
    Value*

Total Calories 5

Total Carbohydrates 2.5 g 1%

Dietary Fiber 2.5 g 10%

Net Carbs
    Minus Fiber 0 g
  • theresaknorman
    Options
    Phew...happy to hear some of these responses.. I was beginning to think I couldn't have fruit either!!!! So I'm basically on the right track just watch processed sugars. Like in the granola bars I absolutely love. I do refuse however to give up my creamer and sugar for my coffee, maybe I'll try honey instead.:ohwell:
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    I don't think the jury is in on the whole "sugar is sugar" debate. Here are a couple articles that indicate there could be some difference.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3037017/?tool=pmcentrez

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3214012/?tool=pmcentrez

Edited to add:

Here's another saying that consuming a moderate amount of fructose doesn't seem to be bad.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2991323/
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I don't think the jury is in on the whole "sugar is sugar" debate. Here are a couple articles that indicate there could be some difference.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3037017/?tool=pmcentrez

Monkeys consuming over 40% of their diet in pure fructose or pure glucose. This is relevant to the real world how, exactly?

In vivo studies are worthless for drawing real world conclusions. They are merely hypothesis-generating.

Now try to find a study comparing moderate sucrose to HCFS consumption (in humans) and see if it makes a whit of difference.
  • kayemme
    Options
    When you say they include fiber, are you talking about nutrition labels which give total carb grams and then under that show how many fiber grams are in that particular serving? Effective or Net carbs is indeed something to factor in but there are carbs without fiber. Granulated sucrose (table sugar) for example.

However many grams of table sugar you eat, you are eating that many grams of carbs without any fiber. Inulin on the other hand is a whole different ball of wax.

Inulin:
    Nutrition Facts

Amount
    Per Serving % Daily
    Value*

Total Calories 5

Dietary Fiber 2.5 g 10%

Net Carbs
    Minus Fiber 0 g

i meant whole foods that carry fiber, not necessarily barcoded / boxed foods, but essentially, yes: because here in the States, a carbohydrate is made of starch, sugars & fiber. so when people go "low carb" using only processed foods, they may inadvertently go "low fiber" which, imo, is really not to anybody's benefit.

i've never heard of this inulin... i'm going to look it up. i don't know what it is!

edit: doing a quick search on inulin, i think i'd rather just have it be in its naturally-occurring form. i wouldn't trust it from a manufacturer, much like i won't buy stevia, but i wouldn't have any problem using the plant itself (i've grown it and eaten it this way... it's lovely!)
  • dr_stacy
    dr_stacy Posts: 8
    Options
    For those who love yogurt, if you have a Kroger in your area, they have a great yogurt line called CarbMasters that has only 3 sugars in the 6 oz. container and they have great flavors like Blackberry, Raspberry Pomegranate, Strawberry Vanilla, Banana Cream Pie, etc. I eat one at least a couple of times a week (I started when I was doing a low carb diet for the past 3 years and then decided it was time to get off of eating huge portions of protein each day but I still love the yogurt!).
  • raystark
    Options

Inulin:
    Nutrition Facts

Amount
    Per Serving % Daily
    Value*

Total Calories 5

Dietary Fiber 2.5 g 10%

Net Carbs
    Minus Fiber 0 g

i meant whole foods that carry fiber, not necessarily barcoded / boxed foods, but essentially, yes: because here in the States, a carbohydrate is made of starch, sugars & fiber. so when people go "low carb" using only processed foods, they may inadvertently go "low fiber" which, imo, is really not to anybody's benefit.

i've never heard of this inulin... i'm going to look it up. i don't know what it is!

edit: doing a quick search on inulin, i think i'd rather just have it be in its naturally-occurring form. i wouldn't trust it from a manufacturer, much like i won't buy stevia, but i wouldn't have any problem using the plant itself (i've grown it and eaten it this way... it's lovely!)

Not trying to push inulin, just wanted to point out that you can have a carb, in both of these cases a sweetener, which is totally fiber free or one which is 100% fiber.

BTW - In what way are foreign carbs different from US carbs?
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Phew...happy to hear some of these responses.. I was beginning to think I couldn't have fruit either!!!! So I'm basically on the right track just watch processed sugars. Like in the granola bars I absolutely love. I do refuse however to give up my creamer and sugar for my coffee, maybe I'll try honey instead.:ohwell:

Honey is pure sugar.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    A normal human metabolism is remarkably efficient at maintaining steady blood sugar levels, regardless of sugar intake.

not mine! You might be surprised how many people here are diabetic or insulin resistant.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    A normal human metabolism is remarkably efficient at maintaining steady blood sugar levels, regardless of sugar intake.

not mine! You might be surprised how many people here are diabetic or insulin resistant.
    That's why I specified "normal" human metabolism. Diabetes and insulin resistance alter the metabolism.
  • tenshiblue
    tenshiblue Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Yes I love Sugar. I can eat it all day long, breakfast, lunch, and dinner :( My favorite kind of snack is sweet snacks.

It's unnatural to eat as much processed sugar as we do nowadays. Excessive fruit intake is not good for your health. The fruit we have in this day and age is a lot higher in fructose than the fruit ate by our ancestors due to genetic modification. Our ancestors did not have access to fruit 365 days of the year either.

I know it's not good for me, but I don't know how to stop myself. I usually eat between 50 to 60g of sugar a day. I recently purchased 100% pure stevia that I can add in tea. Hopefully this will curb some of my sugar cravings.
  • kayemme
    Options
    Not trying to push inulin, just wanted to point out that you can have a carb, in both of these cases a sweetener, which is totally fiber free or one which is 100% fiber.

i understand that other countries count fiber separately from carbohydrates is all. our labels here include fiber as part of a carbohydrate. i could be wrong, it's just how i understood it.

edit: in other words, there's no difference between the carbs themselves, but it's just how ours are stated.

edit edit: and the only point i was trying to make is people charm a "low carb" diet, but not always realizing that carbohydrates include fiber (if there is any). i totally follow what you're getting at, so it's not that kind of argument, but because most processed foods remove fiber for shelf stability as well as add salt & sugar as preservatives, one can go "low carb" and not get nearly enough fiber in the diet. that's all. fiber itself is good for bowel function as well as giving a person a feeling of satiety and therefore one may not be as inclined to overeat.
  • raystark
    Options

i understand that other countries count fiber separately from carbohydrates is all. our labels here include fiber as part of a carbohydrate. i could be wrong, it's just how i understood it.

edit: in other words, there's no difference between the carbs themselves, but it's just how ours are stated.

edit edit: and the only point i was trying to make is people charm a "low carb" diet, but not always realizing that carbohydrates include fiber (if there is any). i totally follow what you're getting at, so it's not that kind of argument, but because most processed foods remove fiber for shelf stability as well as add salt & sugar as preservatives, one can go "low carb" and not get nearly enough fiber in the diet. that's all. fiber itself is good for bowel function as well as giving a person a feeling of satiety and therefore one may not be as inclined to overeat.

Pretty sure you are right about some if not most, or all other countries don't show a separate count for fiber. I think it is helpful that the US does. Went back and looked at my diary from a couple days ago since I haven't had any fiber yet today. That day I had an avocado for lunch which gave me 6 grams of fiber and then my wife served asparagus with dinner which gave me another 6 grams. Whatever fiber I get comes from vegetables or avocado, which is pretty much the only fruit I eat aside from olives.
  • Brunner26_2
    Options
    Monkeys consuming over 40% of their diet in pure fructose or pure glucose. This is relevant to the real world how, exactly?

Animal testing doesn't make it automatically irrelevant. Everything gets tested on animals first.
    In vivo studies are worthless for drawing real world conclusions. They are merely hypothesis-generating.

I think you meant to say that in vitro studies are worthless. This was an in vitro experiment. And you're right, they are hypothesis-generating and sometimes they have to do. No real world conclusions were drawn from this study.
    Now try to find a study comparing moderate sucrose to HCFS consumption (in humans) and see if it makes a whit of difference.

I'm not trying to make the argument that HFCS is better or worse any any other form of sugar. The last article I linked to specifically says "No fully relevant data account for a direct link between moderate dietary fructose intake and health risk markers." I actually put that there so you people didn't think I was trying to bash fructose. My point was that I'm not so sure about the whole "sugar is sugar" statement is true. It's within the realm of possibility that our bodies react to one type differently than another. The first two papers support that hypothesis, specifically the difference between fructose and glucose.

Also, +10 internetz to you for actually looking at the articles.
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Now stop talking against my Maple syrup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol :tongue:

Check this out!

[link]http://www.canadianmaplesyrup.com/maplenutrition.html[/link]
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Animal testing doesn't make it automatically irrelevant. Everything gets tested on animals first.

I think you meant to say that in vitro studies are worthless. This was an in vitro experiment. And you're right, they are hypothesis-generating and sometimes they have to do. No real world conclusions were drawn from this study.

I'm not trying to make the argument that HFCS is better or worse any any other form of sugar. The last article I linked to specifically says "No fully relevant data account for a direct link between moderate dietary fructose intake and health risk markers." I actually put that there so you people didn't think I was trying to bash fructose. My point was that I'm not so sure about the whole "sugar is sugar" statement is true. It's within the realm of possibility that our bodies react to one type differently than another. The first two papers support that hypothesis, specifically the difference between fructose and glucose.

Also, +10 internetz to you for actually looking at the articles.
    Of course the body processes fructose and glucose differently. However, HFCS and Sucrose are just about identical molecularly. They are both glucose and fructose. And, while HFCS has a slightly higher percentage of fructose, and interesting thing about human metabolism, when glucose and fructose are both eaten together, the body only absorbs fructose efficiently in a 1:1 ratio with glucose. When there is free fructose, or more fructose than glucose, the body doesn't absorb the extra.
  • kayemme
    Options
    Pretty sure you are right about some if not most, or all other countries don't show a separate count for fiber. I think it is helpful that the US does. Went back and looked at my diary from a couple days ago since I haven't had any fiber yet today. That day I had an avocado for lunch which gave me 6 grams of fiber and then my wife served asparagus with dinner which gave me another 6 grams. Whatever fiber I get comes from vegetables or avocado, which is pretty much the only fruit I eat aside from olives.

i think it's helpful, too, but the point is that fiber is part of the carbohydrate trio, so when people look at labels (and don't acknowledge the fiber count) they look at carbs to satisfy their "low carb" diet, but then don't get enough fiber which will eventually cause colon problems. luckily, the body can fix itself pretty well once it gets the nutrition it needs, so a person may be able to lower risk, reduce (or in some cases) reverse a diet lacking fiber by simply adding it to the diet in the form of whole foods, fruits included.

that's not to say one should only consume fruits as their fiber source, because, yes, they are high on the sugar to fiber ratio (some chime in at 5:1) but in conjunction with a more savory diet of mostly vegetables, the body (assuming it is more-than-not healthy) will process the sugars from fruits perfectly well on its own.

so yeah, don't eat a pound of grapes at a time, but a handful with a good cracker and maybe some cheese or hummus won't be such a big deal.
  • Brunner26_2
    Options

Of course the body processes fructose and glucose differently. However, HFCS and Sucrose are just about identical molecularly. They are both glucose and fructose. And, while HFCS has a slightly higher percentage of fructose, and interesting thing about human metabolism, when glucose and fructose are both eaten together, the body only absorbs fructose efficiently in a 1:1 ratio with glucose. When there is free fructose, or more fructose than glucose, the body doesn't absorb the extra.

link to source please.