What is you accent?

Options

Replies

• cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I live about 30 min from Boston and I've been told my accent is really thick.
  • Ariana_75
    Ariana_75 Posts: 224
    Options
    Colombian, but not quite as annoying as Gloria's!!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Im from Newfoundland we speak newfienese....lol (english) apparently we have a unique slang.

Um, yeah, that would be fair to say. :happy: That and you speak so fast, it can be a little hard to understand. Of course, that also depends on which part your from. I :heart: newfies. Best kind.

Me, I have an East coast Canadian accent as well, not NFLD though. There are some pretty thick accents around here, but mine is pretty mild, when I travel people dont pick up on it very often. I was on a course in Manitoba and the Americans on the course thought the Manitobans (?) had a stranger accent than I did.

My favorite - hard to narrow down, British, Irish, Australian to name a few.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Im from Newfoundland we speak newfienese....lol (english) apparently we have a unique slang.

Um, yeah, that would be fair to say. :happy: That and you speak so fast, it can be a little hard to understand. Of course, that also depends on which part your from. I :heart: newfies. Best kind.

Me, I have an East coast Canadian accent as well, not NFLD though. There are some pretty thick accents around here, but mine is pretty mild, when I travel people dont pick up on it very often. I was on a course in Manitoba and the Americans on the course thought the Manitobans (?) had a stranger accent than I did.

My favorite - hard to narrow down, British, Irish, Australian to name a few.

My great uncle was a newfie. I loved his accent.
  • TheChangingMan
    TheChangingMan Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm from Glasgow so have a Scottish accent.
  • Thaelvyn
    Thaelvyn Posts: 67
    Options
    Trying as hard as I can to sound South East British, but people often spot my French origin :/
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    East English with a hint of Danish.

Is that East-Anglian English or SE aka Esturian English?

As Danish uses the glottal stop you'd think the Esturian English would be able to master Danish, but alas the struggle enough with their mother tongue :laugh:

I actually love the way Danes speak English ... so distinct from Swedes or Norwegians... in fact it almost sounds a bit like Afrikaans.

I also love the way the Dutch speak English and their over-use of the gerund :bigsmile:
  • misslou7
    misslou7 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My accent I would describe as generic English. I was born in the South East but brought up just outside Liverpool. The broader Southern tones I appear to have dropped but even after 20 odd years I don't sound like a Scouser (they just think I'm posh!)
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    I don't use accent, i use adobo goya :)
  • genuinelyfrans
    Options
    I don't use accent, i use adobo goya :)

^ LOL to that, I don't think I really have an accent even though I am from NJ
  • babygreen11
    Options
    I don't really have one.. but a small Boston accent probably. My husband has a strong Boston accent. No "R"s ... not sure how he got one.. we grew up in the same town in Northern Mass

I live in RI and and everyone laughs at me having no R when I talk apparently..lol And when Im mad the Italian comes out. My husbands makes fun of me when we are arguing saying I sound like I belong on the Sopranos. Makes for a very hard argument...lol
  • jella74
    jella74 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Mais I talk like dat cajun down da by-yoo!

IF ANY OF YOU HAS SEEN CAJUN JUSTICE, please we're not all dumb *kitten* down here and more than half of our community doesn't even like the show! It's not all voodoo and travel by boat everywhere.

Though the further south west you go from New Orleans the more authentic the cajun accent and food really is!
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I was raised in a family where English was not the first language. Yes, I am from PA. My mother spoke French and German and my father Scottish Gaelic. I paid over $2,000 to soften that Scottish accent, but once in a while, especially when I am angry, it crops up.
  • ptak1sm
    ptak1sm Posts: 172
    Options
    I'm from Michigan so apparently I have a mid-western accent. I'm not sure, though...I don't hear it :P

I think Mexican accents are incredibly sexy. Also, British. And Australian. And Irish. Scottish. Spanish. You know what, just throw in almost every country in western Europe and Central/South America. Yeah, that'll about do it.
  • RiaLucia
    RiaLucia Posts: 121
    Options
    Non-descript U.S. accent. I spent the first 9 years of my life in Washington State, where no known accent prevails. Grew up on the East Coast. However, I can pick up and mimic accents pretty well.
  • cowgirlashlee
    cowgirlashlee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I guess you could say I have a "redneck" accent, being from northeast Indiana. However, I spent a lot of my childhood on the UP of Michigan, and when I would come home, people would comment on my "Yooper" accent.
  • AussieNikki
    AussieNikki Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm an Aussie. So Australian.

But I have lived in NC USA for almost 4 years and I pick up a southern accent here and there sometimes. It's weird.
  • annemarie198031
    Options
    ive got a south wales valleys accent and tend to talk really fast x
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    A mix of South East London and Devon, with a slight touch of Australian :p