Do you really think logging in every day to MFP helps?

Options

Replies

• freyerrobinson
    freyerrobinson Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It has definitely helped me to get started and I plan to continue logging daily. It helps me to keep on track. I can't believe how many calories there are in some of my favourite foods !!
  • Elimac49
    Elimac49 Posts: 6
    Options
    Absolutely, as it helps you understand just what value the food you are eating is worth, and if you go over you can see which foods to avoid. It has helped me enormously to stay on track as I now know the calories and goodness of the food I eat, for eg. went food shopping just before dinner I was starving, they say you should never food shop when hungry as you put more sweet items in your basket. Well it was true and sweets ended up in the basket but my partner and I decided to check the calories, Bassett's liquorice allsorts, 900 cals per bag, Cadbury's dairy milk bar 42g 205 cals, all went back and we picked Special K bars instead at 90 cals. When we got home and had our dinner we never had the snacks. Went to the Toby on Wednesday had Yorkshire pudding and at the end just plain ice cream and thought I was being good these two added 730 cals to my daily cals, had to walk extra 1/2 hr the next day. This is how it helps me on track I see daily just what I have consumed and can rectify what I eat accordingly to keep myself on track and I find it really helps keep me motivated, it is my pal keeping an eye on me.
  • MarlinWil
    MarlinWil Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I was fairly isolated and trying to find motivation without support. It is hard to find perspective when all you have is yourself (and the voices! - you know the ones). Now I have accountability and some very practical tools to help me.

The unexpected part of logging in comes from the encouragement I'm getting from those who have made me a friend, and the concern when I haven't been able to get to the computer for a few days. They (and so many others) have shared their frustrations, joys, achievements, knowledge and stories and shown a genuine interest in mine. For me, that is priceless.

Life can be so filled with pressure that's out of our control, and I promised myself that I would surround myself with positive and like-minded people. This is something I have found in bucketloads each time I have logged in. Everyone is interesting. And I love those who are brave enough to be honest without being cruel, and find ways to be compassionate and understanding when it would probably be universally accepted to be dismissive.

Thank you everyone for all the lessons you are teaching me, and for being my cheerleaders over the smallest things. Simply logging in, for me, is about acknowledging my need to commit time each day to something that is exclusively for me.

Sorry for the book - just really want to express the fullness of what I feel. Words are not enough, but it's fun and challenging to try to express myself.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    For me?
    Yes!
  • chanson104
    chanson104 Posts: 859
    Options
    YES.
  • kmuree
    kmuree Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Yes! I now look forward to logging in to talk to all of you wonderful people, to share tips and recipes, to debate, to log my calories and exercise and make friends. :bigsmile: I :heart: MFP.
  • naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Definitely! In so many ways... sure the food tracking is important, and I learn from my history, but I log in every day for the people here. There are so many inspirational and knowledgeable people here, that want the same thing I do- to be healthy. I log in every day for that.
  • naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I was fairly isolated and trying to find motivation without support. It is hard to find perspective when all you have is yourself (and the voices! - you know the ones). Now I have accountability and some very practical tools to help me.

The unexpected part of logging in comes from the encouragement I'm getting from those who have made me a friend, and the concern when I haven't been able to get to the computer for a few days. They (and so many others) have shared their frustrations, joys, achievements, knowledge and stories and shown a genuine interest in mine. For me, that is priceless.

Life can be so filled with pressure that's out of our control, and I promised myself that I would surround myself with positive and like-minded people. This is something I have found in bucketloads each time I have logged in. Everyone is interesting. And I love those who are brave enough to be honest without being cruel, and find ways to be compassionate and understanding when it would probably be universally accepted to be dismissive.

Thank you everyone for all the lessons you are teaching me, and for being my cheerleaders over the smallest things. Simply logging in, for me, is about acknowledging my need to commit time each day to something that is exclusively for me.

Sorry for the book - just really want to express the fullness of what I feel. Words are not enough, but it's fun and challenging to try to express myself.

And what she said :) well stated VitaraWil
  • tinamatteson
    tinamatteson Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great way to be accountable. Now that I have reached my weight loss goal, I don't keep a food diary most days, but I still check in to see what my friends are doing, and to chat on the message boards. I also log my exercise, and always look forward to seeing "Tina has logged in for --- days in a row!" It makes me feel like I'm really accomplishing something.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I think it does and theres no excuse not to log because you can do the mobile apps.
  • soulynyc
    soulynyc Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    no doubt about it.. this helps.. 1. you log in 2. you hold yourself accountable for logging 3. you are able to see what your progress or digression is without having to remember on your own. 4. you can change your mind and it's ok and the program easily adapts. 5 you make great friends 6 you have a great support system. 7 you don't have to tell a living soul who knows you because you have plenty of people on here who you can tell and they won't try to get you to eat awful things instead they will give great advice and you can vent till your hearts content. and 8. You lose Weight 9. you get stronger and 10. You ultimately get healthier.
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    logging my food definitely helps. I know what I've eaten, I tend to lose my appetite and before I was undereating without realising it and that was causing metabolism slowing and rebound weight gain on the days when I ate normally. I know how many calories I've eating by logging them here, and whether I need to eat more. I can't rely on my appetite to tell me that. The result of keeping the undereating under control is that I've lost fat slowly and steadily and I'm keeping it off. I still use this site because I don't want to fall back into accidental undereating and end up losing lean body mass and gaining fat. Also I'm still working on improving my body composition (less fat more muscle) and this site helps with that too.

Honestly I know some people can lose fat without counting calories and logging them, but I really don't think I'd have been able to. And it's not like it's difficult, I'm in a routine, weigh my food as I put it on the plate, write it on a post-it, stick the post-it on my laptop, log it next time I use the laptop. It adds maybe 2 mins to my day max and is just a matter of being organised about it.
  • emmerleecee
    Options
    yes!! i missed a day about a week ago (day 76) and i'm still upset about it now!!! i think the counting and updates really help to motivate you!!
  • simon030276
    simon030276 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It does for me, I feel guilty if I haven't updated my diet and exercise.
  • Elle562018
    Elle562018 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Yes for me.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    definitely!!!!!
  • AmberRiche4
    AmberRiche4 Posts: 21 Member
    Options

• AmberRiche4
    AmberRiche4 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Says it all ...
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Yes. Keeps me accountable.
  • KlaMorgan
    KlaMorgan Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    YESS!! Especially when I am not exactly aware of how much sodium I should be taking in etc, it is amazing! couldnt live without MFP lol.