For cryin' out loud. I eat pasta, fast food and ice cream!

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I'm so tired of seeing "I can't eat pasta. I can't eat fast food. I can't eat ice cream. I can't eat fruit. I can't have this. I can't have that."

First things first.. you dont need to be nasty about it.

Secondly, there are many people who have serious medical problems that warrant the elimination of those types of foods. I have patients who have such issues who use MFP for tracking under the physician's advice.

Then you have people who come out and admit that they dont have control when they eat those types of foods thus they do their best not to have them.

So yes, there are people who legitimately cant have those types of foods.

I wasn't talking about people with health issues. If you have a realistic health issue (ie-diabetes) you are excluded from this conversation. I'm talking about normal, everyday people who are basically overall in good health who just THINK they can't have "normal" food.

An estimated 20% of people in the US have insulin resistance. Most of these people are overweight. So the percentage of people on MFP that have insulin resistance is most likely higher than 20%. When you have insulin resistance, your body doesn't digest carbs the way the body of someone without insulin resistance does. It's best to follow a low carb, high protein diet when you have insulin resistance. Sooooo those people CAN'T have ice cream, pasta, pizza, etc on a normal basis and be successful at losing weight.

So although you say you weren't talking about "those people", a lot of "those people" are on this site.

Full fat ice cream is low GI and glycemic load, but is unclean so shouldn't be eaten anyways. And dairy is terrible for you cause Paleo man didn't eat it.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    You know what? I lost weight that way...kept it off many years that way. Had cellulite and loose skin that whole time too! And when I hit 38...energy gone, sick and tired all the time even though I still worked out and I wasn't getting the results I wanted. My legs didn't look like I worked out the cellulite got so bad. But the main thing is I was SICK AND TIRED all the time. Decided to try Shakeology and figured if I'm spending that much money to supplement my diet...let me try this whole clean eating thingy. I don't deprive myself. I have cheat days. Wednesday I had almost an entire cheat day with no guilt b/c I typically just have a couple of cheat meals and snacks per week. Thursday morning? Tired, queasy, stomach pains, constipation and my body ACHED. I'll cheat again but it comes with a price for me.

Since eating cleaner I've had more energy, more stamina, better mood, better digestion and am accomplishing things physically that I didn't think I could...and my abs are back and bangin!! So although I DO agree that it's a lifestyle change and not about deprivation, I also think there's a way to go about healthing up a lot of those junk foods. And I eat real eggs and real butter and real food. When I went food shopping 2day, the only middle aisles I went down (where all the processed crap is) was to get coffee, Nature Valley granola thins, tuna for me and the cats (lol), minced rosemary and stevia. Everything else was FRESH...yanno, real food. And one frozen dinner in case something comes up during the week and it was Amy's all natural, gluten free organic stuff. I'm not perfect...I also allow myself a couple of cookies a couple of times per week but I'm more likely now to stick a dark chocolate square into all natural peanut butter and enjoy that as much, if not more these days, than a Reese cup and they used to be my FAVORITE!

Agree mostly with this..

I lost a lot of weight just watching calories in and calories out.. but my body composition wasn't what I wanted it to be. Now I'm eating much cleaner, not completely, but a lot less processed stuff and basically no added sugar at all. I have my cheat days..

But I've noticed a huge difference in the composition of my body, digestion, energy, and stamina. Overcame a plateau too.

totally had pizza and beer Friday night tho.. needed a cheat day!! :)
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I'm so tired of seeing "I can't eat pasta. I can't eat fast food. I can't eat ice cream. I can't eat fruit. I can't have this. I can't have that."

I really CAN'T eat pasta... it interacts with the Metformin I take and puts me in the bathroom. Same with alcohol and white sugar and bread. I pay for those decisions. But I understand that this is an exception- not the rule.
  • icanhaztp
    icanhaztp Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    In my 20s, I had a lot more tolerance for "bad" foods and treats. I also had a relatively healthy back, healthy knees etc that I could use to work things off.

Nowadays... If I do that, I gain weight. Ah well. :)
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Yes it's definitely possible to lose weight and eat that way, but is it healthy? No. I don't deprive myself but I make good choices 90% of the time and when I do splurge I do a reasonable portion. It's not just about your weight. I don't want to end up with a chronic disease later in life... or earlier...
  • CountryMom03
    CountryMom03 Posts: 258 Member
    Options

Secondly, there are many people who have serious medical problems that warrant the elimination of those types of foods. I have patients who have such issues who use MFP for tracking under the physician's advice.

Then you have people who come out and admit that they dont have control when they eat those types of foods thus they do their best not to have them.

I wasn't talking about people with health issues. If you have a realistic health issue (ie-diabetes) you are excluded from this conversation. I'm talking about normal, everyday people who are basically overall in good health who just THINK they can't have "normal" food.

An estimated 20% of people in the US have insulin resistance. Most of these people are overweight. So the percentage of people on MFP that have insulin resistance is most likely higher than 20%. When you have insulin resistance, your body doesn't digest carbs the way the body of someone without insulin resistance does. It's best to follow a low carb, high protein diet when you have insulin resistance. Sooooo those people CAN'T have ice cream, pasta, pizza, etc on a normal basis and be successful at losing weight.

So although you say you weren't talking about "those people", a lot of "those people" are on this site.

Full fat ice cream is low GI and glycemic load, but is unclean so shouldn't be eaten anyways. And dairy is terrible for you cause Paleo man didn't eat it.

Full fat ice cream is unclean?? Its alot healthier for you than the low fat or non fat kind thats nothing but chemicals and toxins. But anyway, Ill let that one slide, what I really wanted to point out is although full fat ice cream may be low GI and glycemic, it still has high carbs and carbs = insulin spike.
  • grace_c
    grace_c Posts: 28
    Options
    i need to be like you! i stifle myself from eating these things and it turns into terrible binges!
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    I think the unclean ice cream was sarcasm.
  • Prettiejesse
    Options
    indulging once in a while isnt going to hurt, but not everyday. its important to eat healthy not for weightloss but for life :)
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    What I learned from this...drink = pregnant
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    I eat anything I want in moderation. What is the point of working so hard when you aren't allowed to enjoy food?
  • Tiggertails1975
    Options
    What I learned from this...drink = pregnant

YUIP THAT HOW I LEARNED HOW BABIES GOT HERE TO LOL
  • Josette89
    Josette89 Posts: 244
    Options
    That's all well and good if you are worried about calories. Burn off the calories after you've eaten them. BUT that is not the issue. The things you eat don't only consist of calories, they have fats and oils that get into your body and wreak havoc. It's not only how much you put in your body, but what you put in it. Ice Cream is full of milk fat that will turn into fat on the body eventually if you are taking it in as much as you say you are. Give it time, unfortunately these kinds of eating habits will catch up to you. And you may have a hard time catching up to that baby that is on it's way.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Full fat ice cream is unclean?? Its alot healthier for you than the low fat or non fat kind thats nothing but chemicals and toxins. But anyway, Ill let that one slide, what I really wanted to point out is although full fat ice cream may be low GI and glycemic, it still has high carbs and carbs = insulin spike.

It's unclean because it's processed. The fat in the ice cream lowers the insulin spike. Don't forget protein = insulin spike too
  • scorpio61
    scorpio61 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    How nice it is to be able to eat s-it and stay skinny I remember those days I use to be able to eat what ever I wanted and not have to worry about weight I'm older now and not so anymore Everyones metabolism is different I guess mine just decided to slow down with my age lol I had to have a hysterectomy which made the hormones change along with it my cholesterol was elevated The weight came on easy and harder to shake off I made the choice to eat differen t I want to eat healthy I don't just want to be slim and look healthy I want to be healthy on the inside and into my 80's I want strong bones,lean muscle, strong lungs & healthy heart I get my butt kicked everyday with cardio I work my butt off to work towards lifting more wt So to eating fast food and eating bom bom or what have you is not in my everyday food list to getting lean:)
  • Dollydimples419
    Options
    Well said. if you feel like you can never eat your favorite foods it will never work. It is about making lifestyle changes. If i want ice cream, I will have ice cream. Just not the entire half gallon.
  • heidi1955
    heidi1955 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks --- you have no idea how bad I needed to hear this!!!!
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I agree but with a slight tweak. I'm a fan of the 80-20 rule, so personally I try to stay on my eating plan of eating more fruits, veggies, lean protein, whole grains and dairy 80% of the time, and 20% of the time just doing WTH I want. :laugh: For some people, it's better to plan treats within a day of eating healthy, but I feel I'm better off with one day of "cheating". And I don't cram everything I can in my mouth, either, nor do I take advantage of each day I "allot" for myself (once every week).

I find that if I have treats more than that, it increases my cravings. That's just my take. :smokin:

Well said. I think the OP was commenting more on the folks who eliminate themselves from events due to their choices to eat in a certain way. I do my own cooking and am good at it but for folks who aren't, or who don't have time to cook, choosing a prepared Weight Watcher meal is better than hitting that new grilled cheese bacon burger from Carl's Jr.
    I take food with me, eat a partial meal where I am going somewhere that might not be what I want to eat, everything in balance.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I had a bacon big mouth burger from Chilis tonight. And loaded cheese fries.

I'm thin AND healthy. And really, really happy. :smile:
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    You say you can't drink because you are pregnant. You can drink, you chose not to because it would be a poor choice for you.

Pasta, fast food, ice cream is a poor choice for many of us here. The diabetic, the insulin resistant and those with severe cravings as well as problems triggered by those foods. There might be morbidly obese people needing to slim down for surgery fast. All sorts of reasons you may not have thought about.

And as your weight drops, as you age you might find that despite exercise, your bodys tolerance for theae foods simply changes.