For cryin' out loud. I eat pasta, fast food and ice cream!

Options

Replies

• dinoring
    dinoring Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have to say, I think the op was a bit misunderstood here. It seems as though she was saying that, for those who enjoy eating things such as pasta, pizza, etc., the idea that "diet"=deprivation is intimidating. I don't believe this post was intended for those who try to eat clean, but for those who want to lose weight but don't want to give up certain food items. Eating clean (something I strive to do) is one of many approaches to a lifestyle change. While I feel it is the way for me to be healthy, I do not feel it is the only way, and i really don't feel as though all of this defensiveness is entirely appropriate based on the op's 1st post.
  • jjennasmithh
    Options
    But those aren't clean foods,therefore you're destroying your health

I agree with this guy!!! I've lost 71 lbs, I am on a low carb diet, clean eating, and I'm the healthiest I've been in years. I enjoy the foods I eat because I know I am putting good into my body. So you can enjoy your icecream while I go eat my veggies and healthy foods :) Moderation only works for so long, but want to see better results? Do it the hard way, GOOD EATING and EXERCISE!!!!
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Holy crap, just reading this thread is really telling to why the world is getting fatter and unhealthier. People are so defensive about their sugar addictions that they will go so far as to attack those that avoid the disgusting stuff! Reminds me of addiction to many hard drugs out there. There are cravings, moods, sicknesses and even withdrawals. Let's get the stuff scheduled as a controlled substance ASAP, it would be one of the few drugs that actually belong there.

I can definitely see your point, but some folks are equally as condescending about certain food types as the defensive sugar addicts. LOL I am very happy now that I am eating good, whole food most of the time. I'm happy that I don't eat replacement "diet" desserts instead of calorie laden desserts because both are terrible for me. I don't see the point though of being condescending and self-righteous about what you eat (the general "you", not the poster quoted above). It's not going to change anyone's eating habits and generally will just make the person (a) feel defensive and/or (b) feel guilt/shame. That's not healthy or productive for anyone.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Ok, you're still losing weight. Come back when you've been maintaining your goal weight for a year and tell me you enjoy having to work your *kitten* off all the time in order to eat crap
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    i have a treat everyday...ice cream, brownie, cookie, etc...and i still go out and enjoy my favorites! can't have a lifestyle change without enjoying yourself! :)
  • angeeishere
    angeeishere Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I know what you're sayin'!
    You think I'm gonna give up my chocolate and pizza? NO!!
    I have NOT denied myself of anything and I'm down 20lbs!
    Moderation is key!

Couldn't have said it better...I'm down 49lbs by using common sense and moderation.
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I just don't eat as much or I will try to work harder to earn it. I had a fabulous gyro w/ feta yesterday from a fair, yum! It was worth all 700 calories!
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    ME TOO!!!! It is a lifestyle change and if you don't make it one YOU can stick to, you won't....
    I never feel hungry or deprived. And if at the end of the day I am out of calories but STARVING I eat an apple, yup I will go over my calories if I need too.... Seems to be working!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    And I don't...

...but that by itself makes neither of us a good or bad person.

And personally, I found it much easier to not overeat foods like pasta, bread, processed crap, etc. when I stopped eating them entirely. "Everything in moderation" for my food choices has never worked particularly well for me.

But don't let that stop everyone from preaching that their way is the only one true way to dietary nirvana. MFP wouldn't be the same without that infecting every discussion.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    If I were 300lbs, I bet I could lose weight eating nothing but pasta and fast food and 1000 calorie burritos.
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options

^^^^^^ I agree with this. Sure you can eat anything you want to in moderation and still lose weight as long as it fits in your calorie goal. But your body might be totally deprived of the nutrition it needs for health. So I eat anything I want. But what I want has changed. Because I now choose to eat nutritionally dense food, no crap.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I don't work out so I can eat McDonalds

I work out to be strong as all hell and feel good about myself. I like to exercise.

I don't eat McDonalds cause fast food grosses me out.

I drink alcohol because I like it and the social aspect that comes with it at my age. In moderation

I eat frozen yogurt instead of ice cream now - just as good

I eat pasta in moderation - I carb load on fridays for my rugby games saturday
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    To each thier own.

^^Truth.
  • Shaylaluvsya
    Options
    Well said, now I need to stop messing around and do this!!!
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options

this ^^^I don't eat pasta, pizza and ice cream because I want my body to last for a long time, and take care of me :)
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I knew going into this that this post would cause controversy.

I'm also astonished with all the friend requests and messages I got over it. So, hello there to all my new friends!
  • Seaglass1123
    Seaglass1123 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Amen!
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I'm so tired of seeing "I can't eat pasta. I can't eat fast food. I can't eat ice cream. I can't eat fruit. I can't have this. I can't have that."

First things first.. you dont need to be nasty about it.

Secondly, there are many people who have serious medical problems that warrant the elimination of those types of foods. I have patients who have such issues who use MFP for tracking under the physician's advice.

Then you have people who come out and admit that they dont have control when they eat those types of foods thus they do their best not to have them.

So yes, there are people who legitimately cant have those types of foods.

^Completely agree

Thats great if it works for you but some people are trying to make a lifestyle change by eating more clean foods and less junk for their overall health and not just losing weight. I will have my frozen yogurt or whatever every once in a while but I'd rather feed my body with lots of good clean foods the majority of the time. So junk food is a rare indulgence for some. And something some just can't have. Most of the foods I can't keep in my house because I don't have the control so therefore they have to get cut.
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I agree with not totally depriving. I agree with everything in moderation.

Ice cream, pasta, candy, cookie....basically junk.......EVERY day is not moderation, though. Just because you stay below your calories or macros, doesn't mean that eating unhealthy foods on a daily basis won't harm your health.

I love alfredo....I have it MAYBE 3 times a year. I run, so I do eat a lot of pasta (whole grain) to fuel up. As another poster said, skinny doesn't equal healthy and while I'm all for splurging and not denying yourself (Once a month I have a triple venti, full fat, cafe mocha WITH whipped cream from Starbucks) there are foods that will damage your body.

Just my opinion, and no one has to agree.....but to say that everyone can lose weight and be healthy by eating *kitten* every single day and working out like a maniac is short sighted and somewhat irresponsible.
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    That's fine, I fully intend to outlive you anyway :wink: