Protection from dogs.

Options

Replies

• Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    After being attacked four times by dogs of all sizes I asked our community animal control officer. She said that quite often all pepper spray does is piss the dog off. She had no answer.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options

my son was 6 and was also bitten by a "friendly little dog" in this case a maltese terrier for no reason either. He was patting it while it was in the owners arms. He was bitten on the lip. Not nice.

I wouldn't have been able to decide whether to punch the dog or the owner in the face.

When I worked at the shelter I was scratched and bitten several times. It was ALWAYS my fault. Animals don't "attack" for no reason. Humans are unpredictable. You can always expect an animal to act like an animal. Punching a dog would only aggravate the issue, as it is now acting defensively and is scared of you.

You're right, owner it is.

Just because a cute little kid wants to pet your dog doesn't mean you should let them if you think there is even a small chance of the dog biting.

My dogs are extremely friendly, and have never bitten anybody. But this is their first time living in an apartment complex. When I walk them, they attract a lot of attention (they are a beagle mix and a pit mix). Whenever people approach them, I say, "be cautious. They are not people-friendly." If they continue to approach, I feel I am not liable at this point (but they are ALWAYS leashed, not running free). If it is a small child, I tell them not to approach.

Why? Because new people happen to frighten my dogs. They have never lashed out, bitten, or growled but I will not have my good dogs put down because somebody came over to pet and scared them and they protected themselves.

When I see others walking their dog, I do not ask to pet their dogs. I feel like this is troublesome to them and can be overwhelming to the dog. If I minimize the opportunity and the threat level (for my dog or another person's dog), then I can minimize the chance that someone will be bitten and someone else will lose a best friend because of my poor judgement.

I like you.

I don't let my boys pet strange dogs, even if the owner encourages it. They are 2 year old twins and don't know how to behave. They will crowd the poor thing, and even with me RIGHT THERE holding their hands they will try to grab or poke the poor creature. And they growl. I don't know why my sons growl at animals, but they do. I am often shocked by people who let their little little kids go up to strange dogs. I don't know what's more unpredictable, the animal or the toddler.

They can admire the dog just fine from a few feet away and I'm sure the dog appreciates it! When something unfortunate happens, I do think it's the owner's fault for not saying no.

I like you too :drinker:

I agree that toddlers are unpredictable. I feel like I've broken a lot of little hearts by refusing to let someone's child pet my dogs, especially at the parents' insistence. "I'm right here, nothing will happen. They won't bite her. We have dogs." These are the same people who will have that dog put down in a heart beat if it snaps at the child. I just can't take the chance.

My kids don't pet strange dogs either. Even at the OWNER's insistence, and they are 14 and 15. I do believe the owner is at fault if the dog growls or bites, because so far every time I've said no, nobody's approached my dogs anyway. All is safe! :wink:
  • leighscimeca
    Options
    I've been bitten by two dogs throughout my life. One dog was a German Shepherd and one was a Chihuahua.
    I'm not saying anything against or in defense of Pitbulls.... I just think that ANY dog can be dangerous...

To OP, glad you are okay and reported this incident.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    After being attacked four times by dogs of all sizes I asked our community animal control officer. She said that quite often all pepper spray does is piss the dog off. She had no answer.

This is what I was afraid of.
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
  • EVELYNHCOOCHIE
    EVELYNHCOOCHIE Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I live in a rural area and walk about 2 miles a day. I never walk alone. I carry a hand gun (that I know how to use with accuracy). I also carry a walking pole. I love dogs. I have 5 but every pit bull I ever encountered gave me the willies. I know people who own them love them and don't see them that way but I am terrified of them. I would not hesitate to shoot one if it came at me in an AGGRESSIVE way. My nephew owns a pit bull, got it as a puppy (so he thinks it safe). He also has a 2 year old son. I am so afraid for that baby.
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options

my son was 6 and was also bitten by a "friendly little dog" in this case a maltese terrier for no reason either. He was patting it while it was in the owners arms. He was bitten on the lip. Not nice.

I wouldn't have been able to decide whether to punch the dog or the owner in the face.

When I worked at the shelter I was scratched and bitten several times. It was ALWAYS my fault. Animals don't "attack" for no reason. Humans are unpredictable. You can always expect an animal to act like an animal. Punching a dog would only aggravate the issue, as it is now acting defensively and is scared of you.

You're right, owner it is.

Just because a cute little kid wants to pet your dog doesn't mean you should let them if you think there is even a small chance of the dog biting.

My dogs are extremely friendly, and have never bitten anybody. But this is their first time living in an apartment complex. When I walk them, they attract a lot of attention (they are a beagle mix and a pit mix). Whenever people approach them, I say, "be cautious. They are not people-friendly." If they continue to approach, I feel I am not liable at this point (but they are ALWAYS leashed, not running free). If it is a small child, I tell them not to approach.

Why? Because new people happen to frighten my dogs. They have never lashed out, bitten, or growled but I will not have my good dogs put down because somebody came over to pet and scared them and they protected themselves.

When I see others walking their dog, I do not ask to pet their dogs. I feel like this is troublesome to them and can be overwhelming to the dog. If I minimize the opportunity and the threat level (for my dog or another person's dog), then I can minimize the chance that someone will be bitten and someone else will lose a best friend because of my poor judgement.

I like you.

I don't let my boys pet strange dogs, even if the owner encourages it. They are 2 year old twins and don't know how to behave. They will crowd the poor thing, and even with me RIGHT THERE holding their hands they will try to grab or poke the poor creature. And they growl. I don't know why my sons growl at animals, but they do. I am often shocked by people who let their little little kids go up to strange dogs. I don't know what's more unpredictable, the animal or the toddler.

They can admire the dog just fine from a few feet away and I'm sure the dog appreciates it! When something unfortunate happens, I do think it's the owner's fault for not saying no.

I so agree with you. I cringe when I see parents allowing their kids around a dog and allowing them to be rough with the dog, the next you know that dog might bite and then its the dog's fault! Not the owners who were allowing their kid to handle a dog in an inappropriate way.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options

I so agree with you. I cringe when I see parents allowing their kids around a dog and allowing them to be rough with the dog, the next you know that dog might bite and then its the dog's fault! Not the owners who were allowing their kid to handle a dog in an inappropriate way.

There is a right way and a wrong way to allow your dog to be pet by children. This is a great thing for socialization and to get rid of any prey drive or defensive territorial control issues with a dog.

My 2 and half year old torments our dog Obi he is a Shepherd/ Pointer / Mut Mix and he lets his eyes get poked, ears tugged, ridden etc. I have essentially trained and instilled into him that kids are all fun and give him attention. Whenever we are at a park with the dog (on leash of course) whenever a kid comes up and asks to pet him I say sure, I get him to sit and I stand at his face with my hands really close and shortened the leash. If he ever even tried to bite or anything I would be in control the entire time. It also gives certain comfort factor to the parents who are staring at me making sure my dog is safe... It is both mutually beneficial for the dog and the children to learn that not all dogs are vicious.
  • theresmynapkin
    theresmynapkin Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I agree with those saying how ANY DOG CAN BE DANGEROUS. I was bit by small hound-type dog when I was younger. I'm not sure exactly the breed because it was a long time ago. However, the dog went straight for my face and I had stitches for a while. Thankfully it didnt' permanently disfigure me. After the dog attacked me, the owners mentioned how it had attacked other people before too. Um, thanks for letting me play with your dog anyway, @sshole!
    That being said pitbulls get a bad reputation because stupid people mistreat them and bring them up to fight and be mean simply because that breed is very strong, and has a very strong jaw. Yes, they are naturally more aggressive than some breeds, but saying all pitbulls are terrible and should be banned is just like being racist/sexist/etc. There are exceptions. My fiance and I have a pitt mix that gets pushed around by our maltese. He's the biggest wuss ever.
  • LuckySar
    LuckySar Posts: 12
    Options
    Dogs are bred for specific purposes. Dachshunds were bred to chase and flush out badgers and small burrowing animals. Labrador Retrievers were bred to retrieve animals like ducks and birds when hunting. Pit Bills were bred to protect their families/properties and sadly, at times, for fighting. When they feel their land or family is being threatened, they will attack - justified or not. Yes, all dogs can attack, but it is not this breed's fault it has been specifically bred to be aggressive. There are exceptions to all rules, but in general, this dog is much less trustworthy (in terms of safety) than other breeds. It has a much higher percentage of fatalities and injuried than all other breeds. Of the 88 fatal dog attacks recorded by DogsBite.org, pit bull type dogs were responsible for 59%.

Should we blame the dog? No, we should blame the irresponsible owners who do not know the temperments of their dogs and how to best care and own them. But can we claim this is a peace loving dog? No.

Stats: http://www.dogsbite.org/dogsbite-newsroom-2009-dogsbite-three-year-fatality-study.php
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I know some people who carry bear spray but I would call Animal Control and report it. What if it's a kid next time.
  • KissMyAx
    KissMyAx Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'll often use a baseball bat as a walking stick, maybe it will come in handy some day.

I've seen coyotes on our street

^^^ THIS!!! Seriously! They even make mini bats you can carry as protection! Pepper spray is a little tricky as you have to factor in wind and make sure you aim it directly at their face. Dogs are pretty quick and jerk their heads a lot once they latch onto something (your leg for example)! If you give him a quick wack with a bat, he'll go running. It's not right that these owners are irresponsible. They should have came to your rescue. Also you should have called the police to file a report. The dog owner needs to be held accountable. It could have been a small child walking by or playing that that dog could have attacked and "played" with like he/she was a rag doll and could have critically injured. Would you feel guilty then? Let the homeowner or police know.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    A police report was filed and court date was set the moment my hands quit shaking enough for me to dial the phone.
  • KissMyAx
    KissMyAx Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Good to know! :)
  • EggTamOut
    EggTamOut Posts: 16
    Options
    The dog was reported but allowed to stay because the owner had the shot records. They will take it if it attacks again between now and the court date in September.

I was so scared and just imagine if it was a child instead.

I am looking at the site I posted earlier and the stun batons look interesting and might suit your needs

OMG bm99, you have some serious issues. Maybe a machine gun would be a better idea? Are you for real?
  • surfteam1689
    surfteam1689 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Great. Sue the owner for damages, trauma, time, etc. That owner is probably a loser with total disregard for people. I had a half-pitbull/half-doberman and never put it on a leash while in the yard. He never attacked people. It's been proven that if you leash up any dog, and then let it roam in the yard, an open gate/fence will mean it will take off for its freedom and attack anything in the way.
  • EggTamOut
    Options
    Everyone that owns a pitbull thinks that with the right love and training their dog would never attack a person, but reality sets and instinct takes over. This particular dog breed should be banned.

You should consider speaking to an attorney.

Running away from the animal doesn't help. Also, protect your neck. Given the chance animals will go for the jugular.

I own a pitt bull, and I'm not stupid. A dog is a freaking dog. Under the right circumstances any dog has the capability to bite a human. Breed profiling is one level under racial or ethnic profiling of people, as far as I'm concerned.

You are absolutely right. Hitler anyone???
  • mgs68pony
    mgs68pony Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    wow! I just ran across this and can so relate to you.

I was walking in my neighborhood on Saturday morning. I came around a corner proceded down the street and there sat a huge pitbull in the front yard with its owner. I was on the opposite side of the road and continued to walk past the house......not sure where the owner went....but within mere seconds he was across the street and trying to eat me alive. I was screaming hoping the owner would hear and come get this d@%# devil dog off of me. He had me pinned up against a mailbox and I ended up getting bit on the hand trying to keep him from eating my leg up. Thank goodness the owner got him off of me. I was terrified and bleeding as I had to walk another half mile or so to get back home. I was extremely lucky to come out of this attack with only a few bites, bruises and scratches.

I called the city police and the owener was cited and the dog was picked up. The police said this was a serious violation and took pictures of my hand and the blood on my shirt.

I am planning on getting pepper spray to carry with me.
  • EggTamOut
    Options
    I'll often use a baseball bat as a walking stick, maybe it will come in handy some day.

I've seen coyotes on our street

WOW, fear just brings out all the crazies, doesn't it? You people really need some anger managment/fear counselling.......
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i've been attacked twice in the past year; neither was serious or broke the skin, but both were frightening. people who let their mean, territorial dogs run should lose the dog.

i carry pepper spray and have not yet used it. i hope that i don't have to. the next dog that attacks me is getting animal control called on it. i don't want to see an animal sent to the pound, but i'm past my ability to tolerate idiot owners leaving their mean dogs unleashed.
This discussion has been closed.