Who has been able to lose with 1200 calorie diet?

Options

Replies

• nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I used to eat 1200 calories. I lost some and then I plateaued foreevverrrrr. So then I upped my calories to 1600-1900 and I'm losing again!
  • sds76
    sds76 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 cals but have to say that there are many days that I have trouble getting even close to 1200. I've only been at this for 32 days(today) but I have lost 19lbs. But what's even better is I feel great. I workout a min. of 1 hour a day(7 days a week), I drink nothing but waer and I eat a lot more veggies(I like them so that is easy for me). I do not eat back my exercse calories, but if I'm hungry I eat, I just choose healthy options and drink 8oz of water first to make sure I'm not just thirsty. I don't eat a lot of junk, but not because it's off limits, just because I don't want to waste my cals on it. I make sure to get plety of protein and fiber so I feel full most of the time.

PS...my starting was 264 so I have a lot to lose.
  • gayje
    gayje Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I eat at 30% below my TDEE so about 1570 a day. This is a new way of eating for me, though. I was eating at 1200 cals a day and eating back my exercise cals too but I lost and gained back the same 6 or 7 pounds for 3 months. I posted for some overall diary advice from MFP members and 1 PM'd me telling me to go friend request a wonderful guy in the EM2WL group. I did, he pointed me in the right direction to help figure things out for myself.

I haven't been eating at TDEE long enough to step on the scale yet but I will by Friday and we'll see what happens. I can tell you I'm no longer hungry all the time and I feel better about fueling my body rather than starving it to loose weight.

Feel free to check out the group, EM2WL. You'll be glad you did.
  • CherylGardner
    CherylGardner Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Next time don't let the face fool you. If you see just my face, there is no way you would think that I was once 280lbs. Romans congratsss my dear on your wt. loss.

Oh, brother -- thanks for the tip. I won't bother trying to issue anyone a compliment again. /eyeroll.
  • sunnyshine1313
    sunnyshine1313 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the 1200 calories a day for about a month and a half, and it definitely works, recently had two cheat days just because the craving for sweets was so strong, but back at it again today. Have lost a total of 26 lbs in about 2.5 months. I will admit it is a total lifestyle change from how I used to eat, but it is worth it. To eat more, I just make sure I work out to earn some extra calories to spend and don't always eat all the exercise calories back, but if I'm feeling "deprived" I do eat the exercise calories back.
  • Debutante55
    Debutante55 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    So far, the 1200 calories a day plan is working well for me. I've lost about 8 lbs since April 20th (my goal is about 10-15 lbs total) and I haven't been *starving* all the time as some posters have reported. Some days are definitely more difficult than others and I've had occasional cheat days on special occasions. Other than that, I've been able to manage 1200 cal/day without much grief.
    My weak link is definitely a lack of exercise.... I live on a farm so I end up with a reasonable amount of daily physical activity but as for formal exercise -- forget it! If I were more disciplined to actually work out, I'm sure my weight loss results would be more rapid and significant. However, if I hit the gym like a madwoman, I likely *would* be starving on 1200 calories.

Good luck reaching your goals!!!
  • vxmann
    vxmann Posts: 6
    Options
    My MFP formula gave me 1320 calories per day for 1 lb. a week loss. So far, I've only lost 1/2 lb. a week. But, 1320 (plus calories out with exercise) has been really easy for me because before I started this program, I actually ate less (and didn't get anywhere) so maybe it's the magical number. I think if I stuck with 1200 I'd lose more, but I'm okay with 1/2 lb. a week if it just keeps up. Hope that helps!
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Me...I always stayed right about 1200 calories. I have hit my goal and stay about 1200-1400 calories now.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I'm just a few weeks in and have lost 4lbs so far.
    I feel like the 1200 is doable. Planning ahead and knowing what I'm going to eat ahead of time/for the day has been really helpful.
    The problem I have is that I workout at night after my kids are in bed and I am not going to eat back those calories at 9:00 at night.

Don't worry about it - the body doesn't magically not need them stopping at midnight, so be willing to eat them back the next day before the next workout, bigger breakfast and lunch.
  • HarlowAudrey
    Options
    When I first started MFP I did 1200 calories. I didnt eat back my calories.I didnt know I was suppose to. I hardly ever had a cheat day. I worked out 7 days a week.
    I lost 40lbs, very quickly. HOWEVER. I think I may have damaged myself. I binge now. I never had ever done that before.
    I gain weight super easily now. I should be able to maintain my weight at 2000 calories a day, but I cant seem to.
    I put some of the weight back on and it just will not come off. I think my body is holding on to it in case I decide to starve myself again.

I am going through this right now.

I am now eating 1700 calories + exercising (not eating those back) and have gained weight.

I don't care though. I just want to be healthy!
  • geral64
    geral64 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I rarely exceed 1200 and stick with lower carbs, no white stuff. I occasionally eat back exercise calories if I'm hungry. Take my vitamins, omegas, etc. Choose lean meat and veggies. So far, so good. I feel great. Lost 40. 15 to go!

Weight loss is different for everyone and each body reacts differently. As long as what you're doing isn't harmful to your body and is working for you, go for it!

Good luck on your journey. :)
  • jessnich42
    Options
    From what my nutritionist told me, if you eat too few calories, your body will think it's starving and adjust its metabolism to retain more. It will also make you hungrier. Paradoxically, you can actually gain weight if you eat too little... and then overeat later because you feel like you're starving.

I started at 1500 calories per day (when I weighed 190 lbs) and then I bumped it down to 1480 when I got down to 175 lbs. If I notice I've eaten fewer than 1200 calories, I'll grab some extra fruit or something. I've found that it throws off my system too much the following day.

That combined with exercise, and most weeks I've lost 1-2 lbs.
  • heybales
    Options
    It works very well for me (more so than if I were doing 1500 +)

I have lost around 35 lbs so far in the past 1.5 months... and that includes 2 weeks of total cheating.

35 lbs in 6 weeks?? and 2 of those were cheat weeks? That's an average loss of almost 6 lbs/wk without even factoring in the cheat weeks...

Not quite sure what to say about that...

Well if you want to say anything, you could say congratulations.... a morbidly obese person can lose more quickly than someone with 40 lbs to lose.

Actually, math is math. morbidly obese can lose 3-4 lbs sometimes weekly. But usually not unless it's more than fat.

Fat has about 3500 calories of energy in 1 lb.

If you think that 35 lbs was just fat, that means 122,500 calories deficit for 6 weeks, or 42 days.

That would mean a daily deficit, every single one of those days, of 2916 calories, if you think you really lost fat.

Let's throw out the traditional 5 lbs first week of water weight lost switching to a new diet.

30 lbs is 105,000 calories over 42 days or daily deficit of 2500 calories.

So, do you really think you burned 1200 (eaten) + 2500 (not eaten) = 3700 calories each and every day, so that you could possibly have a deficit of 2500 daily, in order for that to all be fat.

And that is precisely the problem with eating so low - you burn muscle off.

Muscle provides 600 calories per lb - so much easier to lose a lb of muscle. Lose almost 6 lbs of muscle to provide the same energy as 1 lb of fat.

Wow, you may eventually reach a weight where you don't need that extra muscle you lost - but bummer losing it first.
    Muscle is what keeps a metabolism high, if you eat enough.
  • Dedicatediva
    Dedicatediva Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have I'm down 24 total.
  • Emmy248
    Emmy248 Posts: 18
    Options
    bump
  • heybales
    Options
    From what my nutritionist told me, if you eat too few calories, your body will think it's starving and adjust its metabolism to retain more. It will also make you hungrier. Paradoxically, you can actually gain weight if you eat too little... and then overeat later because you feel like you're starving.

I started at 1500 calories per day (when I weighed 190 lbs) and then I bumped it down to 1480 when I got down to 175 lbs. If I notice I've eaten fewer than 1200 calories, I'll grab some extra fruit or something. I've found that it throws off my system too much the following day.

That combined with exercise, and most weeks I've lost 1-2 lbs.

Huh, not starving if you were eating, but it can slow down metabolism, and energy spent on other things.
    But you don't slow it down so far to start gaining.

You can slow it down enough to slowly but surely be eating at maintenance level, instead of having a deficit. So no more weight loss.
    Problem there of course, you get discouraged from slow or no loss, any binge is indeed now surplus, and stored as fat.
    Hence the claim "I've been eating at 1200 faithfully for 5 months and gained 10 lbs", well, except for infrequent splurges that actually packed on the weight. More frequently probably would have prevent the problem in the first place.

Reason given is wrong or badly worded, advice and application was good though.
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    It works very well for me (more so than if I were doing 1500 +)

I have lost around 35 lbs so far in the past 1.5 months... and that includes 2 weeks of total cheating.

35 lbs in 6 weeks?? and 2 of those were cheat weeks? That's an average loss of almost 6 lbs/wk without even factoring in the cheat weeks...

Not quite sure what to say about that...

Well if you want to say anything, you could say congratulations.... a morbidly obese person can lose more quickly than someone with 40 lbs to lose.

Actually, math is math. morbidly obese can lose 3-4 lbs sometimes weekly. But usually not unless it's more than fat.

Fat has about 3500 calories of energy in 1 lb.

If you think that 35 lbs was just fat, that means 122,500 calories deficit for 6 weeks, or 42 days.

That would mean a daily deficit, every single one of those days, of 2916 calories, if you think you really lost fat.

Let's throw out the traditional 5 lbs first week of water weight lost switching to a new diet.

30 lbs is 105,000 calories over 42 days or daily deficit of 2500 calories.

So, do you really think you burned 1200 (eaten) + 2500 (not eaten) = 3700 calories each and every day, so that you could possibly have a deficit of 2500 daily, in order for that to all be fat.

And that is precisely the problem with eating so low - you burn muscle off.

Muscle provides 600 calories per lb - so much easier to lose a lb of muscle. Lose almost 6 lbs of muscle to provide the same energy as 1 lb of fat.

Wow, you may eventually reach a weight where you don't need that extra muscle you lost - but bummer losing it first.
    Muscle is what keeps a metabolism high, if you eat enough.

I am very active now too. I would like to preserve all my extra muscle, but I am more interested in getting a good amount of the fat off first. Once I am in the overweight range I will slow down. I am going to do weight training to try to preserve what I have, in addition to lots of protein in my diet. It is not possible to keep all lean mass when losing weight, although one does lose more when they lose more quickly/have a lot to lose. Like you said I won't need as much when I get lower weight.. but I will have to build it up when I get halfway or 3/4 the way there.

Being as fat as I am is more unpleasant than losing a bit of extra muscle which I can (with hard work and patience and time) rebuild later. At the same time, I believe a great amount of what I am losing is fat... what % ? I don't know.

Edit to add: I didn't mention this because I wasn't planning to explain it all again, for the purpose of this thread it isn't relevant... but I often do not hit 1200 calories. I am usually lower.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I am able to lose nicely on a 1200 calorie diet. Most days I'm under and a few days I've been over. I generally do not eat back my exercise calories. Feel energetic and healthy too.
  • SlinkyNewMe
    SlinkyNewMe Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I had previously lost 17 lbs before coming on here doing weight watchers. I started logging on MFP in January on 1200, and weight loss slowed down and eventually ground to a halt around March/April after another 3/4 lbs loss. I then plateaued gaining and losing the same 3/4 lbs back. After three months on 1200 I was starting to feel tired and listless. During that time, I exercised sporadically. I upped my calories and ate around 1400-1600, but that did not make much difference in terms of my weight loss. If anything, it felt like I was maintaining.

However what DID work for me was stepping up my exercise regime and consistently going to the gym to do cardio, strength training, and Body Pump classes. I did that consistently for four weeks, at least three times a week and lost 2lbs. This is still only a small amount, but it got me away from my plateau. However owing to TOM weight gain, that 2lbs came back for a couple of weeks and has now gone again.

Psychologically it is very undermining to see the same weight over and over again, so I have now put my calories back down to 1340 (my BMR is 1366) and set my activity level to "lightly active", in order to kick start my weight loss. I aim to continue with my regular and consistent exercise routine and not eat back exercise cals unless I am hungry.

I have 34lbs remaining to lose out of my original 56lbs goal. There is no magic number that works for everyone. You have to try different things and do what works for you. The key is whatever you try, you need to do it for long enough to see whether it works, and then change things up a bit so that your body does get too used to it, or if you have tried it and it isn't working.
  • Bssh
    Bssh Posts: 123
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight on 1200 cals a while ago but couldn't bear eating so little once I reached my goal. Eating so little permanently didn't work for me and I gained weight as soon as I increased my cals.

This time round I'm eating much more - 1800 to 2000 cals daily - as this is much more sustainable for me in the longrun. I can stick to these dals forever! I'm still in deficit and I'm losing weight (18lbs in 1.5 months). And I am never ever hungry.