Random Compliments... Love them or think they are creepy?

Options

Replies

• zrmac804
    zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I've been known to send random messages to people, both on MFP and online dating sites... even tell them in real life, just random things like "Your red hair is amazing! I love it!" Or " That is an awesome beard!" And that is it... I'm not trying to hit on them necessarily and don't even expect to get any kind of reply back... (What can I say, I have a thing for Gingers and lumberjacks :wink: )

Do you like it when you get a random compliment like that? or Do you think it's creepy? I always thought it was fine but then lately friends have been telling me I'm going to be labeled as the town creeper if I keep telling every ginger in town that I love their hair. The only time I think it's creepy to get a random compliment personally is if they go for something awkward... like my boobs or something.

So what's the verdict? Like getting them or think they are creepy?

I find them creepy. My first reaction would be "What does He/She want from me?" And it's exhausting to muster phony gratitude for a compliment that I never wanted in the first place.

I realize that everyone is different, but your good intentions will cause some people great discomfort.
  • collinj8
    collinj8 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    the Creepiness of a compliment is directly relative to how Attractive You find the giver of the compliment.

C = A+Y

While I know this is ture for people hittiing on you... would you also say it applies to someone who is abviously not trying to hit on you, just give you a compliment? Like a little old lady at the grocery store?

I always get hit on by little old ladies at the grocery store. :D
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    OMG you look so hot! = good compliment

I love your hair/shoes/freckles/biceps. = good compliment

I love your skin so much I want to wear it. = creepy compliment
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with random compliments
    It means someone is noticing your hard work :wink:
    creepy comment in mailbox :devil:

I am offended that I dont have more random compliments in my mailbox from this thread:angry:
  • ChcolateLady11
    Options
    Im sure they could be, but I havent gotten any...yet...LOL
  • MsP90X
    MsP90X Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I personally love random compliments... not creepy to me at all!

:)
  • AmberMahfouz
    AmberMahfouz Posts: 316
    Options
    Who doesn't love random compliments?!!
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I just posted on another thread that I thought one of the guys was good looking. I don't think it's creepy. Who wouldn't like to be told that? Now if I sent messages everyday then that would be creepy but I don't see any harm in a random compliment :smile:
  • Berto0391
    Berto0391 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't care unless you or anyone for that matter does it alot.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I compliment both male and female, but i'm always tactful, and light hearted about it. Even if its just "hey nice haircut"

I've only had one guy react strange, a friend of a friend who we were all at the same bar with having a great time on the dancefloor. All i said was that he's a great dancer. I guess he had issues with his own sexuality, because he got all offened and made a scene, that ended with my friend asking " um this is awkward, but could you not be so nice to him"

Funny enough as that was, i saw him the next day at the mall from across the food court, and made a point of winking at him.

That would be funny to see his reaction!
  • stevepierson
    stevepierson Posts: 119
    Options
    I love them. Doesn't really matter to me who their from. It still makes me feel good.
  • Caffeine_Addict
    Caffeine_Addict Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I compliment random people at random times about random things all the time.
    If you CAN say something nice then DO! Am I right?
  • raindance_maggie
    Options
    im an attention slut - i love them all.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I like it and on occasion I do it. There are some times when it's obviously creepy, but for the most part, if someone tells me they like my hair, shirt, whatever, or even that I'm pretty, I appreciate it. What benefit is there to being cynical?
    2143661 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I love them, until the person gets creepy on me.
  • NaomiDollar
    NaomiDollar Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My daughter does this to people IRL and it almost always brings a smile to their face. I think as long as the random comment is tasteful it is a good thing to do! You never know if your comment will be the comment that stops someone from taking their life.
  • jennnnn2u
    jennnnn2u Posts: 133
    Options
    I love the way you breath...
  • raindance_maggie
    Options
    I love the way you breath...

*breathe

cause yours is creepy otherwise...
  • DaGsGirl
    DaGsGirl Posts: 194
    Options
    I think they are nice, but when you dont know the person at all and they go on and on about you and just keep sending emails about it, even after you try to change the subject...thats a little stalkerish to me.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I won't lie. I like it lol.