Why is a man's attractiveness defined by his height???

Options

Replies

• gypsybree
    gypsybree Posts: 218
    Options
    People freak me out if they're shorter than me...
    It just makes me feel really awkward...
    Not sure why cause I've always been taller than most people as I matured quickly in younger years...
    but now they do.
    Not like people who can't grow taller like 'little people' just normal people who are short (about 4 inches or more).
    That said as long as you're not shorter than me in flats its all good.
    I'm 5'4.5" so anything more is great.
  • gypsybree
    gypsybree Posts: 218
    Options
    I think it goes way back in time. I think women in general look for a man who they feel can "protect" them. Not that a shorter guy wouldn't be able to or all women need protection. I just think it is one of those built in instincts. Women usually want their man to make them feel secure and I personally don't think someone shorter than me would make me feel that way. My husband isn't tall but he is taller than I am. I would never want to look down at a guy.
    ^^^^^This
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I prefer short men. I *uh* love being face to face :)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • SARRY562
    SARRY562 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4 and i like guys that are 5'10 and up.. love guys that are 6feet, i just dont want to date anyone smaller or shorter then me.. a nice tall guy makes me feel safe.. some people just have what they like and that is that..
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    just had to throw this out there... lil wayne is short and girls are all after him. just goes to show the need for confidence and personality

*droollllls*
  • Firno
    Firno Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    While I love my man being taller than me, I am 5'7" and he is 6'4", it is all in the attitude of the person. If he was 5' I would still be attracted to him if he makes me feel like I am the only one that matters. Confidence is the key. If the girl can not see you for who you are inside than she sounds pretty shallow. If she makes you question your hight, then if you did get into a relationship what else is she going to make you question about yourself?
  • Ohmydaze
    Ohmydaze Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    It's all down to personal preference. I'm short, but I like tall, broad, solid guys. Rugby player types, I don't care about a 6 pack. That's my "type". Guys have types too; some like blondes, some like redheads, some like tall and lithe, some like short and curvy, it all depends on the guy. For most people it isn't set in stone, but OP, surely there is some physical trait that turns your head?

I'm pretty tiny - 5'2 but my dates always seem a little self conscious when I show up in 5in heels and we're eye to eye. 5'9 and above please, I may be small, but a guy 2 inches talker does not make me feel small and delicate. Boyfriend is 5'11, he's purrrfect. :smooched:

That being said, if a shorter guy was fine with me wearing heels, and confident enough to still be clearly dominant at eye level, he's a winner.
  • Hollywoodxoxo
    Options
    Oops!
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    As a woman who is 5'10", I can tell you that it is hard to feel feminine when you are taller than the average male. There is something very sexy about feeling small and feminine next to a man. Short girls CANNOT understand this. They have always felt this way. That being said...my husband and I are the same height. So just because it makes you feel pretty, it doesn't define your relationships.

thissss!

X2
  • lovecellomusic
    Options
    I don't think it matters. I'm 5' 6" and my husband is 5' 3".
  • GodsGirl37
    GodsGirl37 Posts: 348
    Options
    not all ladies are that way. I go by personality if they have a loving heart and caring attitude then I am attracted to them. that is why I tend to gravitate towards those who are considered to be the under dog.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I don't like tall people. They use up all our water, washing their giant clothes and bodies. ****ers.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    This is a personal preference.

Not all women think this way.

Plenty of shorter attractive guys out there. RawrRawr.
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Like many others said...it's a personal preference. Men have their things too with women looking a certain way or being tallers/shorter. I'm 5'8" and one guy had an issue with my height because he was 5'9". For me personally - there's no height requirement. I've dated shorter and taller.
  • SammieGetsFit
    SammieGetsFit Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I don't find super tall women attractive, either. I can't be with a woman who is the same height as me, or even close. Never could. They have to be under 5'5" for some reason...

^^ This is why I personally prefer taller guys. It's like another poster said, as a nearly 5'10 girl it's hard to feel feminine (even when I was at my thinnest) when I tower over a guy when wearing heals and he's clearly uncomfortable. But like so many have said, I've dated shorter and my height. It's about the person, not the height, in the end. Keep looking and you'll find the right girl! :flowerforyou:
  • ccburn5
    ccburn5 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Coming from the guy's perspective, I'm 6'3" with a 5'3" wife. Personally I loved dating taller girls in the past (tallest was 5'10") but ended up with 5'3" They both have their positives and negatives....
  • RitaSantoss
    RitaSantoss Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I prefer taller guys, I don't know why. Thinking of dating someone shorther than me if very unnapelling.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    There's just something about a man being tall that screams 'I WILL PROTECT YOU!' to me. And it's oh, so masculine.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options

That aside I suppose it's a Damsel Complex sort of thing. Some women want guys that are taller, broad-shouldered, and have muscles so that they can feel some sort of "safety" when in their arms.

No disagreements here..
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options

That aside I suppose it's a Damsel Complex sort of thing. Some women want guys that are taller, broad-shouldered, and have muscles so that they can feel some sort of "safety" when in their arms.

No disagreements here..

Sometimes I like being rescued from dragons.. ;)
    European fairy tales frequently feature damsels in distress. Evil witches trapped Rapunzel in a tower, cursed the princess to die in Snow White, and put Sleeping Beauty into a magical sleep. In all of these, a valourous prince comes to the maiden's aid, saves her, and marries her (though Rapunzel is not directly saved by the prince, but instead saves him from blindness after her exile).

A number of tales in the One Thousand and One Nights (Arabian Nights) also feature damsels in distress. A particularly influential Arabian Nights tale of this type was "The Ebony Horse", which revolves around the Prince of Persia, Qamar al-Aqmar, with the help of his flying mechanical horse, rescuing his lover, the Princess of Sana'a, from a Persian sage and then from the Byzantine Emperor. This story appears to have influenced later European tales such as Adenes Le Roi's Cleomades and "The Squire's Tale" told in Geoffrey Chaucer's The Canterbury Tales.[1]

The damsel in distress was an archetypal character of medieval romances, where typically she was rescued from imprisonment in a tower of a castle by a knight-errant. Chaucer's The Clerk's Tale of the repeated trials and bizarre torments of patient Griselda was drawn from Petrarch. The Emprise de l'Escu vert à la Dame Blanche (founded 1399) was a chivalric order with the express purpose of protecting oppressed ladies.

The theme also entered the official hagiography of the Catholic Church - most famously in the story of Saint George who saved a princess from being devoured by a dragon. A late addition to the official account of this Saint's life, not attested in the several first centuries when he was venerated, it is nowadays the main act for which Saint George is remembered.

Obscure outside Norway is Hallvard Vebjørnsson, the Patron Saint of Oslo, recognised as a martyr after being killed while valiantly trying to defend a woman - most likely a slave - from three men accusing her of theft.