Expressions you hate..

Options

Replies

• Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    While not an expression, hearing people say they want to 'aks' a question or say 'ek cetera'.
  • Remi79
    Remi79 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    My Bad

I know, right?

Drives me up the wall!
  • dollipop
    dollipop Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    People that bastardise perfectly decent words - gorgeous becomes gawjus.
    And Wala/walah/wallah, instead of voila. Quick way to look ignorant, ironstein.
    Edited to add - because someone will fail to see Ironstein is tongue in cheek, yes, I am perfectly aware it's Einstein.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options

I also hate the "You can't have your cake and eat it too" expression. If you give me cake I'm gonna f***ing eat it. That's why I'm here. If you try to give me cake and tell me I can't eat it I'm going to take a *kitten* on the hood of your car.

If you have cake and you eat it you no longer have your cake ergo "you can't have your cake and eat it too." you either have it or you don't but you can't have both.

Why is that so hard to understand?

If I have cake why wouldn't I want to eat it? There's NO point in my life where I've ever been content just holding on to my cake.

Why is that so hard to understand?
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    The expression I absolutely hate with a passion: "FML" :explode:

^ this!
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I roll my eyes whenever I hear someone say "mute point."

ETA: before someone accuses me of ignorance, yes, I do know it's "moot"...
  • tom_olech
    tom_olech Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    "you see what i'm saying"...that drives me nuts because you cant see sound!!
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Heard a comedian once joke about the expression "there's more than one way to skin a cat"....he said "how many ways do you need?!"

I've always agreed.

I also hate the "You can't have your cake and eat it too" expression. If you give me cake I'm gonna f***ing eat it. That's why I'm here. If you try to give me cake and tell me I can't eat it I'm going to take a *kitten* on the hood of your car.

You realize it just means that you simply won't continue to have someting, once you consume/use it up, right? Sorry if you knew that already, but I thought you might not, based on what you said about it and you may find it less annoying, if it made more sense to you.

I understand what it means. It doesn't change the fact that it's an idiotic saying.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    "Twelve, one half-dozen or the other" and "pot calling the kettle black" both irritate the snot out of me.

It's actually "Six of one, half dozen of another." Basically means it's the same no matter what. I also hate it.
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    wife!
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I could care less.

WHY DON'T YOU, THEN
  • dewhomeschooling
    dewhomeschooling Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    "At the end of the day...
    "For the first time ...
    "I deserve ....
    "Quite Frankly....
    And everything else mentioned above. Come up with your own sayings!
  • scrmngdsy
    scrmngdsy Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    "This ____ is off the hook."

STFU.
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Simply cannot stand "per se". Nor do I particularly care for "FYI" used as a complete sentence in professional correspondence.
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    "No problem!" How could it be a problem...you are working here in this store:indifferent: :indifferent: so you have to tell me things and hand me things, etc. Why say "no problem" when people say thank you...it makes no sense.:indifferent:
  • sarabluebell
    sarabluebell Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My son kept saying he had swag...maybe 100 times or more( he was 14 and is Hispanic/White) he said thats what all the hispanic kids at school say. I told him to make sure he puts that on his job aplication. I dont think he ever said it after that.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options

but if you eat it, you don't have it. that's the point!
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    While not an expression, hearing people say they want to 'aks' a question or say 'ek cetera'.

EXCETERA IS THE WORST.

The f---ing term is ET. The Latin word for "and". CETERA. The Latin word for OTHER THINGS.

It's also not ect. ...It's etc.
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    "When the sh** hits the fan." Okay, okay, maybe that's only a problem in my life. But, every now and then, I just wish the person who says it all the time would change it up a little. Maybe he/she could say, "When things go awry," or "In the event of a disaster," or really just anything else please.:sick:
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    "Going forward" ...I could puke over that self-important blurb. Also, "....My passion is________" Please don't use the word passion like that, please.