PSA: Muscles do not weigh more than fat.

Options

Replies

• KatKatatrophic
    KatKatatrophic Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Why was this started up again?

tumblr_ls3b169U2i1qggbj7.gif
  • wdwithers
    wdwithers Posts: 36
    Options
    Either way, the solution is obvious:

Eat 1200 daily calories.

The only question remaining is, what is the effect of eating back all, some, or none of my exercise calories?

If you eat it all back you maintain the weight, If you eat none of it back, you lose weight. If you eat that amount and then some you gain.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    What I don't understand is how I can eat a pound of potato chips and gain FIVE pounds of ME.
  • legendary781
    legendary781 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    What's the average air speed of a swallow?

African or European?

It could be African.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Um, a pound of MUSCLE does weigh MORE than a pound of FAT.

If you put a pound of fat and a pound of muscle in water, only the muscle is going to sink because it's HEAVIER.

It's simple psychics, asimov's second law of motion. duh.

christ on a cracker

it sinks due to density, not weight.

Actually, something floats or sinks based on how much water is displaced. If the object has greater mass than the water it displaces it sink. It it doesn't it floats. So really, it has more to do with shape than density. If you are going to be insulting and pretend you are smarter than someone make sure you are correct.

ACTUALLY actually...

What you've described - mass per volume - is EXACTLY density.

Smarter is as smarter does.

Nope. Not density. If I lay on my back I float. If I try to sit on water I sink. My density is the same in both instances.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    Ah man!!! Not again!!

Beating_A_Dead_Horse.gif

Best. Smiley. Ever.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    What's the average air speed of a swallow?

African or European?

It could be African.

It depends if it is gripping a coconut by the husk...a pound of coconut is heavier than a pound of swallow so that could affect it....
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    It depends if it is gripping a coconut by the husk...a pound of coconut is heavier than a pound of swallow so that could affect it....
    Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?!?!
  • Hownow37
    Hownow37 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    LMAO...
  • rprussell2004
    Options
    Nope. Not density. If I lay on my back I float. If I try to sit on water I sink. My density is the same in both instances.

Hmmm...

I maintain that it now comes down to your center of mass and that if you let yourself bob around and come to rest, you'd end up floating in a sitting position as well.

That is - if you lay on your back, your center of mass is going to be somewhere in the plane that is your body, and you are floating centered around it.

If you "sit" on the water, your center of mass is somewhere else, and you will still end up floating around it, although it will almost certainly be under the surface.

[edit] Actually you wouldn't float in a sitting position, you'd prbly spin or topple or something such that the lightest part of your body is pointing up.

[edit edit] Not LIGHTEST - least dense :)
  • RachFace1000
    RachFace1000 Posts: 154 Member
    Options

If you put a pound of fat and a pound of muscle in water, only the muscle is going to sink because it's HEAVIER.

SIMPLE PHYSICS will tell us a POUND is a POUND...it's the density that causes it to sink/float...muscle is more dense than fat...not heavier. The amount of water displaced is dependent on the size, shape, and density of the object immersed....

At least that's what my physics teacher taught me :)

also Asimov's laws are about robotics...aren't they?

i do believe she was being sarcastic (:
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

Hmmm...

I maintain that it now comes down to your center of mass and that if you let yourself bob around and come to rest, you'd end up floating in a sitting position as well.

That is - if you lay on your back, your center of mass is going to be somewhere in the plane that is your body, and you are floating centered around it.

If you "sit" on the water, your center of mass is somewhere else, and you will still end up floating around it, although it will almost certainly be under the surface.

[edit] Actually you wouldn't float in a sitting position, you'd prbly spin or topple or something such that the lightest part of your body is pointing up.

If you want to get nerdy, it has to do with the forces acting upon an object. Gravity pulls us down. If we fold, the water is actually pushing you up. When you are flat, there is more water underneath you to fight that gravity. When there is less water (we are sitting) gravity wins and we sink.
  • legendary781
    legendary781 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?!?!

Does a 1 lb laden swallow weigh the same as a 1lb unladen swallow?
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    A pound of muscles equals a pound of fat. However, muscle is denser than fat; therefore a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat.

Have a blessed day!

As such, a square inch of muscle does, in fact, weigh more than a square inch of fat.
  • rprussell2004
    Options

Hmmm...

If you want to get nerdy, it has to do with the forces acting upon an object. Gravity pulls us down. If we fold, the water is actually pushing you up. When you are flat, there is more water underneath you to fight that gravity. When there is less water (we are sitting) gravity wins and we sink.

:huh:

Sink to the bottom, then?

Because by changing your shape you're suddenly (for lack of a better word in this conversation) "heavier" in the water?

I got nuthin' then.
  • rprussell2004
    Options
    A pound of muscles equals a pound of fat. However, muscle is denser than fat; therefore a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat.

Have a blessed day!

As such, a square inch of muscle does, in fact, weigh more than a square inch of fat.

Depends on how thick that square is.
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options

christ on a cracker

it sinks due to density, not weight.

Actually, something floats or sinks based on how much water is displaced. If the object has greater mass than the water it displaces it sink. It it doesn't it floats. So really, it has more to do with shape than density. If you are going to be insulting and pretend you are smarter than someone make sure you are correct.

ACTUALLY actually...

What you've described - mass per volume - is EXACTLY density.

Smarter is as smarter does.

Wrong. Floating on your back has nothing to do with whether you sink or not. If you were to simply hold your breath and orientate yourself verticallly in the water, you would still float just like when you are on your back. The same mass of you would be above the water as when you were on your back. The reason floating on your back is preferred is because it keeps your face out of the water.

Humans, when their lungs are full, do not sink. It's when you exhale or worse displace the air in your lungs with water that you sink as you have changed your density since the air in your lungs was lowering your average density. Try it sometime in a pool.
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options

Hmmm...

That has nothing to do with it. However, at least you are trying to use logic, flawed as it is, to reason it out. That's better than most.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I think you know what people mean when they say it.

I don't see what's wrong about saying "muscle weighs more than fat" ... if you take a blob of fat and then take a blob of muscle of the same size, the muscle will weigh more. I wish people would stop nit picking everything that is said on here.

Yes. I really, really don't get the continual belittlement of people who say this.
  • tungsten93
    tungsten93 Posts: 76 Member
    Options

Have a blessed day!

I don't think anyone ever said a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat.

No, I'm on this site a lot and I've never, ever seen that. But it truly amazes me how many people can't think in terms of anything other than 1 pound. It's incredibly odd how often "A pound of muscles equals a pound of fat" is posted. It's an American phenomenon I guess, because I've never seen "A kg of muscles equals a kg of fat" posted.

So true!