wearing black nail polish in a corporate job inappropriate?

Options

Replies

• hmgarcia83
    hmgarcia83 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    for me the nail color is nothing i had one girl show up in flip flops like she was going to the beach and a guy in a jager(so spelled wrong the alcohol drink ) shirt
  • BodyCombatGirl73
    BodyCombatGirl73 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    wow, I am dis heartened to heat this. So the color of my nails determines how people will perceive me, WOW. It's just a color on my nails, why should that matter.

Basically i can have all the qualifications in the world and a great personality, but because of the color of my nails i might not get hired..WHAT!!!!! ::jaw drops::

I'm in a position to hire (scientific staff), and yes, for me, it woud be something I would notice and although it wouldn't send a "don't hire this person", I'm not sure it would leave me with an overly positive impression either. Probably just because my field is generally conservative and is a regulated industry where there is an absolute necessity to follow the "rules" and someone with black nail polish might seem to be more rebellious and more likely to cause me problems with non-compliance!
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    No, i dont think the color matters, as long as your nails are not a 1in long.
    <years ago the normal colors were just pink, brownish and red.. F that!!!, fashion has changed, girls use all kind of colors now and that shouldnt matter!
    I use every single color, lots of different designs.. My sister is the same way, black, blue, green, purple, etc, and she is a manager.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    wow, I am dis heartened to heat this. So the color of my nails determines how people will perceive me, WOW. It's just a color on my nails, why should that matter.

Basically i can have all the qualifications in the world and a great personality, but because of the color of my nails i might not get hired..WHAT!!!!! ::jaw drops::

It's not that it won't get you hired, it's that the market right now is really tight, with more qualified and OVER qualified people applying for the same position....so if you have 8 people all applying for the SAME job all with the SAME level of qualification, experience and/or mettle to do the job, sometimes it really does come down to who is the most "corporate" seeming or feels like a good fit...

it's just simply that simple....

now if it were a market where there were not enough people for all the jobs, then wearing black nail polish probably wouldn't get in the way...

but at this point in this market do you really want "we had another candidate who felt like a better fit" to be the reason why they call you to say you didn't get the job?

i wouldn't.

rock the corporate look until you get in the door, then let your personality shine...

Lauren
  • BandedTriaRN
    BandedTriaRN Posts: 303
    Options
    I am just trying to get a feel of what you all think. I have an interview in 2 weeks with a corporate office. And a friends of mine mentioned that i should not forget to take off my black nail polish,. I looked at her and i was like, why should that matter?

Opninions...Thoughts!!!!

Better safe than sorry, you can always put it back on the next day? It shouldn't matter but some ppl can be really anal!
  • Laura_Suzie
    Laura_Suzie Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    French tip is the way to go! Unless you have short nails, then a light color that matches your skintone would be fine also.
  • VickyFine
    VickyFine Posts: 8
    Options
    I don't think it is right but...I agree that you need to tone down the polish color. . My sister likes to wear dark colors on her nails and was called in by her supervisor and told NOT to wear dark nail polish or don't come back to work. That is the attitude of some people so if you want the job play by their silly rules. .
  • FeatherBoBeather
    FeatherBoBeather Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    lol if I can't have my nails any color I'd like, the job isn't worth having.
    I think it's sad that so many people would conform to a "corporate" viewpoint like that..
    What's more sad, is that it's even a concern. It's nail polish for god's sake. It's not like a tattoo on your face.
    I strongly disagree with almost everyone posting here...Oh well. haha
  • follmer20
    follmer20 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    People are too quick to judge someone by what they look like anymore. Me personally, I love the black nail polish, I have it on my toes right now.. But other people find black as "goth". Anymore, you see someone walking down the street that has some bright color is their hair, piercings on the face, wearing all black with black lipstick or anything like that, they get judged and they could be the nicest, most intelligent person you've ever met. That's just how the world is and how people react.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    If the interview is with one of the leading suppliers of goth clothing and accessories, I'd keep the black polish on. Otherwise, take it off.

Also, if you seriously have to ask, there may be some other fashion tips you need before your interview. I'd recommend taking a pic of you in your proposed outfit and posting here asap.

Good luck.

--P
  • bii14
    bii14 Posts: 192
    Options
    i would say go for a neutral light shade. more sophisticated for the look :)
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Good comments on dress from folks before so I won't go there...

On another point, make sure you research the company thoroughly so you know the names of some of the key personnel, their mission statement (more or less), any future plans they have, the structure of the company etc.

Practice the answers to common questions like 'why do you want to work for X Company?' and 'What is your main weakness and strength?' and 'Tell me about a time when you've managed conflict at work'. Talk in paragraphs then stop when you're done. Make sure you actually anwer the question and talk about examples from past work to back up your assertions. Try not to um and ah - just pause to think for a few seconds before answering a question. Smile. Shake hands to start with and end (if they look like they want to).

Good luck!
  • BVannillie
    BVannillie Posts: 140
    Options

It's pathetic I know.
  • BVannillie
    Options
    I'm sorry I can't stop laughing at how many people think black nail polish = goth/rebel/untrustworthy/etc. :laugh: 'Normal' people have been wearing black nail polish for years, if you're really that ignorant that you would smack that label on someone then you are ridiculous. I'm wearing brown nail polish right now, I guess that means I love smearing *kitten* over the walls by your logic!

OH NOES! THE GOTHS ARE INVADING!! ALL THAT BLACK NAIL POLISH!! *FAINT*

:laugh:
  • Prahasaurus
    Options

It's pathetic I know.

Welcome to the real world. Your employer had probably 20 seconds to review your CV before you were invited to the interview. Yes, it's a superficial process...

In the interview, he/she will have 20 minutes to evaluate you. Most people determine within 1 minute if there is a good fit or not. Why risk it with black nail polish?

After you are hired and they get to know you and love you, by all means open up your wardrobe range. But DEFINITELY NOT before you are actually hired.

--P
  • Prahasaurus
    Options
    I'm sorry I can't stop laughing at how many people think black nail polish = goth/rebel/untrustworthy/etc. :laugh: 'Normal' people have been wearing black nail polish for years, if you're really that ignorant that you would smack that label on someone then you are ridiculous. I'm wearing brown nail polish right now, I guess that means I love smearing *kitten* over the walls by your logic!

OH NOES! THE GOTHS ARE INVADING!! ALL THAT BLACK NAIL POLISH!! *FAINT*

:laugh:

She's applying for a job. They have minutes to make a decision. First impressions are critical. Why risk it?

It also depends on the job. If you work for Subway or Target, I suppose you can wear what you want. Just being able to dress yourself probably puts you in the top 5%.

If, however, you want a more prestigious job, avoid the black/brown nail polish DURING THE INTERVIEW.

Again, later you can open it up a bit. But after everyone gets to know you.

--P
  • BVannillie
    Options
    So many Goths! :laugh:

jennifer-aniston.jpg
    images.jpg
    black-nail-polish-hot-for-2009-3.jpg
    120115_mischa-barton-black-nails.jpg
    398-black-nail-polish-.jpg
  • Prahasaurus
    Options

Ha ha, yes, hilarious! Ha ha.

Now, if the OP is applying for leading lady in the next summer blockbuster, I completely agree with you! Especially if she is already a well known celebrity (can't tell from her pic).

On the other hand, if she's not, she needs to do the sensible thing and get rid of her black polish.

--P
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Again, I say wear it but break it up some with a line or two of another color. I love black with pink or purple lines painted from bottom to the top at an angle. Maybe wear something black, slacks or top so that your black polish goes with the nail polish. And if you can swing it make the strip match the top or bottoms match it. Black slacks with a purple top.
  • BVannillie
    Options

Ha ha, yes, hilarious! Ha ha.

Now, if the OP is applying for leading lady in the next summer blockbuster, I completely agree with you! Especially if she is already a well known celebrity (can't tell from her pic).

On the other hand, if she's not, she needs to do the sensible thing and get rid of her black polish.

--P

If you actually read my post you'll see I was referring specifically to people who think wearing black nail polish makes them a goth, it has nothing to do with the interview.