Curly hair isn't sexy?

Options

Replies

• BandedTriaRN
    BandedTriaRN Posts: 303
    Options
    After looking at your beautiful face in photos and your beautiful curly hair, I can't imagine anyone would say you were not sexy with it curly or straight and maybe some guys have a preference but they should be looking at your personality and not something as stupid as curly or not. You have a BEAUTIFUL face and gorgeous hair and a killer body!
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't feel like myself with straight hair. I had a relaxer most of my life and finally was "allowed" to let my curls grow again. I LOVE my curls. I love your curls. I love my close friend's curls, which are always all over the place. I love my man's curls that always flop over his forehead. I think is all in HOW the curls are presented. For example, curly hair in high pigtails looks really young and girlish. Let down in your face however...I think that's a look that's sexy with any hair type. Also, curly hair does a lot that straight hair doesn't. All my friendss with straight hair wish they had curly hair...go figure.

Also, anyone who thinks your curls aren't sexy OBVIOUSLY hasn't seen your curls correctly. Hair envy to the max. :laugh:

Thank you so much!

I must say, you and your BF are so cute together. I have a very big space in my heart for BF/WM relationships, seeing as my Mum is black and Dad white. I don't see it often so it always makes me grin like a goof, especially when they have kids. They always seem so happy together, too :)

Oh goodness, that was sweet. :blushing:
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,970 Member
    Options
    All of us "curlies" HAVE to read "Curly Girl" by Lorraine Massey! It's a fabulous book about loving and taking care of our curly hair, "recipes" for scalp scrubs, suggestions for issues, etc. Her main idea is to "wash" our hair with conditioner instead of shampoo. It has the same cleansing ingredients, and keeps it from drying out. Anyway, I THOROUGHLY recommend it. Check out your local library or hit up Amazon! :)

http://www.amazon.com/Curly-Girl-Lorraine-Massey/dp/0761123008

Wash with conditioner?! What a great idea. I'm trying it this week! I guess I need to read this book.

OP, your hair is gorgeous!
  • TheDaniProject
    Options
    theres been moments when i was younger that a part of me wanted to have straight hair,
    but ive grown up and i no longer feel that way.

curly hair rocks!! and its sexy in its natural ringlet wild frizzy way :smile:

if i flat iron it, its only in winter time texas weather is high in humidity so i dont bother with it lol.
    i do recall a lot of the "oh its cute" and "oh you look thinner with straight hair" and blah blah blah i dont pay attention to catty remarks that girls make.. after all haters gonna hate lol :wink:
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    All of us "curlies" HAVE to read "Curly Girl" by Lorraine Massey! It's a fabulous book about loving and taking care of our curly hair, "recipes" for scalp scrubs, suggestions for issues, etc. Her main idea is to "wash" our hair with conditioner instead of shampoo. It has the same cleansing ingredients, and keeps it from drying out. Anyway, I THOROUGHLY recommend it. Check out your local library or hit up Amazon! :)

http://www.amazon.com/Curly-Girl-Lorraine-Massey/dp/0761123008

It's an excellent book. I own both editions, use the Devacurl products (not exclusively), and have had my hair cut at the Devachan salon three or four times.

I generally use a cleanser for curly hair and then conditioner every other shampoo. I also comb my hair with my fingers in the shower -- they told me to do that at the salon.
  • obolton756
    obolton756 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    NO WAY.. see that picture of my hair? that took me AN HOUR to get any sort of a curl into it.. my hair is poker straight and trust me i spend my life wishing i had curly hair!! you are so lucky having curls! enjoy them!!!!
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Are you kidding?? I'd kill to have curly hair! My straight hair is boring as eff!!! Whoever said that is smokin'.
  • ephemerata
    ephemerata Posts: 82 Member
    Options

im most confident looking like this-
    thm_phpiGY8DR.jpg

girl, you are ROCKING those curls.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

I think it depends on the reason for the relaxer. My mother suggested I get a relaxer at age 13 because I was about to go into high school and she didn't want to do my hair for me each morning anymore. I was unable to do it myself, so I agreed. If my mother had said I'd look prettier with a relaxer or something of that nature, I'd take issue with it. But for me the relaxer has always been for convenience.

The fact that your mother was conveying the message that your hair was so unmanageable that there was no other way to deal with it "for convenience" is very negative. Back when you were 13 there were probably no alternatives. Now, there are.

I don't blame a black woman in a white male-dominated, high-pressure field for wearing her hair straight. She's dealing with so many other issues that she may not want to take the chance of someone rejecting her because of her hair. But I would certainly hope she wouldn't internalize the beliefs about curly kinky hair and reject another professional for having such hair.

We all also have different views. I think well -cut curly hair is fine, but I don't always like dreads and sister locks in ultra conservative settings.
  • kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    Options

I think it depends on the reason for the relaxer. My mother suggested I get a relaxer at age 13 because I was about to go into high school and she didn't want to do my hair for me each morning anymore. I was unable to do it myself, so I agreed. If my mother had said I'd look prettier with a relaxer or something of that nature, I'd take issue with it. But for me the relaxer has always been for convenience.

The fact that your mother was conveying the message that your hair was so unmanageable that there was no other way to deal with it "for convenience" is very negative. Back when you were 13 there were probably no alternatives. Now, there are.

I don't blame a black woman in a white male-dominated, high-pressure field for wearing her hair straight. She's dealing with so many other issues that she may not want to take the chance of someone rejecting her because of her hair. But I would certainly hope she wouldn't internalize the beliefs about curly kinky hair and reject another professional for having such hair.

We all also have different views. I think well -cut curly hair is fine, but I don't always like dreads and sister locks in ultra conservative settings.

It wasn't that she conveyed that message I think. We basically sat down and she said that now that I was going into high school she was going to stop doing my hair for me each day. I tried to do it myself for a week and failed miserably--and I was very upset because in my mind the only way I could manage it was by cutting it short. She then told me that there was something called a relaxer that would make it easier for me to manage with long (past my shoulder) length hair. She also told me I could consider getting braids or dreads or any of the other things that people with natural hair have. After looking at all the options--I decided that I wanted a relaxer because it would give me the freedom to do what I wanted with my hair while keeping it at the length I wanted and the style I wanted. She never pressured me into it--she gave me alternatives that I could look into, I told her what were my priorities--keeping my hair long and being able to do it myself and have it look the way I wanted it to-- and suggested that for those priorities, I might consider a relaxer. She was actually hoping that I'd want braids.

I agree with you that rejecting a professional for having kinky or curly hair is wrong...I also think, though, that there's a stigma with relaxers that is unwarranted. I don't reject people for having kinky or curly hair, but don't judge me for mine either :)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    People put too much emphasis on hair..

Because it's another part of ourselves?

I don't know about you, but my hair is a big part of me. My identity, my appearance, my body.

So, it's not 'too much emphasis'.

Seems about right.
  • jess393
    jess393 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I used to straighten my hair everrrry day, only because I didn't know how to do it any other way. One day, I just quit! Didn't feel like putting that kind of time into it anymore. Some earlier said, your hair doesn't make you sexy, it's an attitude. -- iagree! If people think my hair looks sloppy, messy, or that I'm just a regular ole' cute person, so be it. But I get compliments every day on my hair, how they wish they could have it, etc., and if that many people want it, then there must be a reason :smile: When I get smaller, I think I'll be pretty damn sexy, and the curls will just add to it.
  • Techn0mancer
    Options
    You are a total sweetheart! Lucky girl!

Thanks, I try :)
  • spicypepper
    spicypepper Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I like my curls/waves when they decide to behave...it's the frizz i can't stand :(

^This!!! The frizz drive me crazy and I think that is majorly unsexy. My hubby hasn't said one sway or another if he finds me sexier straight or wavy; he's the same way either way IF you catch my drift....
  • AndiJoy812
    AndiJoy812 Posts: 236
    Options
    I had short hair for years...my Mom chopped it all off when I was in kindergarten because she didn't know how to handle the curls. So I grew up with short hair, and being teased for being a boy - I was also always the tallest female in the group, too. I hated my hair short - it never looked right, was frizzy, and if someone didn't like to cut curly hair, I was stuck with a horrible cut. In my early 20's, I started growing my hair out, and I have never looked back. I LOVE my curls - and I have never been with a man who didn't love them as well. My husband loves my hair, and the one time I straightened it (it takes hours - my hair is also very thick), he about cried. :laugh:
    Embrace them. It is a part of what makes you unique.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I say us curlies have the best of both worlds! I have a mop of unruly, bouncy, blond curls all over my head. But I love them! They are fun, and wild, and sexy as hell. And, when I want to look serious and seductive, I can straighten it and take in all those compliments and stares! It's much easier to go from super curly to straight than the other way around! Embrace your curls....we make a lot of women jealous by having them! ;)

But that's exactly the stereotype I am challenging. Why can't we be/look serious and seductive with curls?

Think of what stereotypes you can think of curly haired girls - Grace in Will and Grace, Lucy in I Love Lucy, etc. They are the funny, cute girls.
  • katrinkap
    katrinkap Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I LOVE YOUR HAIR! Ok, I have the red, curly hair, but GET THIS----> it's ONLY SPIRAL underneath! My top layer of hair is STRAIGHT! It's SO frustrating!!!! I have been trying to grow out my hair for 4 years (no joke) and it's ALMOST to my shoulders because I get sick of the hair and chop it back up by my ears... AUGH.

I love you hair and if you love it, keep it curly all the way girl. It's GORGEOUS!.
  • dewhomeschooling
    dewhomeschooling Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hated my curly hair and straighten it for the first 24 years of my life. Finally, gave up with the hrs of work and embraced the curls, let it grow long. Now, I love them and my husband can't stand it when I straighten my curls.
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    My hair is extremely curly. I guess this was cute when I was young but now I keep it short to hide the curls.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I wish my hair was more curly. My hair isn't really naturally curly, it's more "wavy" which I find really annoying because I have to work extra hard to get them to curl as much as I want them to. I can't ever just take a shower, scrunch my hair and walk out. It ends up looking stupid if I do that.