serious problem

Options

Replies

• GeekMom17
    GeekMom17 Posts: 51
    Options
    I think that maybe if you talked to you kids about what is going on it may help. Forcing them to "finish their plate" or however it used to be may very well not work with them. If they are eating everything in sight I would seek counseling. Even growing boys should not consume that much food in the amount of time you stated.

Just try talking to them. I know kids can be brats and they don't want to listen to a word you say but, maybe if you find out what is going on and talk to them about it maybe you can earn some respect? Sounds like right now you have no control over this situation and you need to demand that your children respect you.

I am assuming you work and they eat all this food while you are away. Maybe you should try to lock your fridge you buy a freezer you can store in your basement and set out food for them for the day and show them how much they should consume and let them learn to control themselves a bit.

Even binge eating on healthy food is not a good thing. I have a toddler so I have no experience in raising older children. My parents used to drink soda all the time and tell me I could not have any. I never understood why. It cause they didn't want me to drink it all the time and get fat. Now that you are working on your eating and exercise you are going to have to retrain you children as well.

You sound stressed out and I can imagine you are. I cannot imagine having more than one kid in my household at at time. Just remember you are their mother and you are a good one. Teach them what you are learning about food.
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I really don't know where else to go to get ideas or vent. I am on my cell phone so yeah, I'll be txt typing.

I have a VERY limited budget for food. As in @$75 per week for 5 people and 3 of those are growing boys.
    I buy healthy lasting items (freezer bulk things) and try to get a few things like a bag or 2 of chips or popcorn for a snack to last a few days.

Today I went to the store and spent $35 on enough food for 4 days. I got 2 gallons of milk and cereal for them for the next 2 mornings. They have been told over and over and over DRINK WATER or koolaid.

Tonight I go in the kitchen to get my 8 oz milk with my protein mix....ALL the cereal is gone. There is no milk left. The chips are gone. I am almost completely out of food again! This happens every time I go to the store!
    There is hamburger chicken potatoes green beans corn carrots and water left until Saturday.

When I make food they wont eat it. Then cry they are hungry. I am not a short order cook. This is not a restaurant. If I cook breakfast lunch dinner from now til Saturday the food wont last.

I thought of getting a locking cabinet but I shouldn't have to lock up food.
    They are pigs. They are inconsiderate and thoughtless. This has gone on for MONTHS!
    I have grounded, taken things, stopped buying treats, and yes I've busted their *kitten*. I don't care that they eat SOME but they eat ALL. Example ..I'll buy the 25 pk of popcorn for 2 weeks. Every last one is GONE within 2 DAYS. I've tried hiding food. Locking my bedroom door. Doesn't work. They ask to get something like batteries and go in, next thing ya know popcorn has 1 by 1 disappeared.
    They aren't starving. They are healthy and active.
    what would you do? I'm so tired of running out of food because they think they have to eat it all the day I buy it.

I had 4 boys and a girl. I know what you are talking about here. At his worst, (I was counting!) my oldest son once ate SIX DINNER SIZED MEALS between lunch and dinner, including the dinner I cooked! Yes, the male teens can EAT!!

This is what I did...we had no junk in the house because I had a grocery budget to stick to, and I stuck to it the best I could, and it wasn't very much more than yours. I cooked dinner and they ate it or not, but I never, ever threw out food they didn't or couldn't eat. It was saved until their next meal if they had taken it and didn't finish. (Youngest son currently has a half eaten plate of mac and cheese in the fridge because he had a horrible headache last night and wasn't up to eating much.) They could have fruit for snacks, and sometimes I bought the huge boxes of pretzels at Sams Club, which came with 4 gigantic bags in them and only cost $6 at the time.

I didn't buy sweet cereals unless I got them for a killer deal (I'm quite adept at using coupons with sales), so they ate breakfast, but never tons of it. I packed their lunches for school. They could have a sandwich, or soup or leftovers warmed up and put into a thermos in their lunchboxes. With that I gave them a serving of crackers and some fruit. Their drink was either water or KoolAid made from the .10 packets.

Our dinners are simple, rarely with what I call "identifiable meat". That means that I rarely serve a roast, or chicken, and steak is like a Christmas treat here, we so rarely see it in our house. I do buy and cook those meats, but a roast becomes bits of meat for stew, soup, fried rice, stir fry, or barbecue beef sandwiches. Same thing with chicken. Steak is usually used for fajitas, stir fries, and sometimes for steak salad. I focus more on serving beans and vegetables, which are more filling and help cut down on my boy's snacking needs.

Someone else mentioned buying the kind of popcorn that you pop yourself. That is what I do, and the kids love it when I make a pot or two of it on the stove. It's a healthy, filling snack, and costs mere cents! I wish you the best of luck with your hungry horde, but know that this too shall pass. Your food purchases will likely just have to change a bit to help keep your boys from being like locusts when you come home with the groceries.
  • lil_bit_crazy
    lil_bit_crazy Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Ok reading all these replies ...I need to clarify some things.
    I don't buy snack cakes. When I buy chips/Doritos its for when we have hamburgers for dinner. Not just to have around.
    I stock up on tons of fruits and veggies. I buy the 2 pound jars of peanut butter. I get 1% milk. I make homemade bread, biscuits, pancakes, etc..(Sam's has 25# flour $7!!)
    I buy freezer items in bulk ...ground chuck, chicken, pork,
    I get plain yogurt and add my own fruit.
    When I get popcorn its 1 box to last 2 weeks for 5 ppl.
    When I talk of "junk" to me that is ramen noodles ..which a 12pk box disappears in under 3 days. Or tortillas with shredded cheese ..which disappears the same nite.

I shop by meal. Like breakfast lunch dinner for each day. So when I make burgers and the chips are gone it throws off that meal. Or when we have spaghetti and they eat the corn on the cob. It throws off the meal..I have to find another veggie to replace it.

I think when I said junk y'all thought I meant ho ho's and fruit pies and cheetos and ding dongs ...that to me is garbage and doesn't come in this house.

I just wish they would eat what is placed in front of them and use moderation with snacks.
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    My advice would be too lay down the law. Tell them flat out that you can't afford for them to be eating up all the food. When you make dinner, that's their only choice no if ands or buts. If they don't eat it they go to bed hungry. let it be known milk is for cereal only and you can't afford to be buying everything multiple times a week. Let them know snacks are to only be eaten when you say so and they must ask permission before doing so. And set consequences if they disobey and most importantly stick to it. It may sound strict but my dad was a single father to two boys and two girls and this worked in our house.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    Jealous of your prices... 25lbs of flour for $7? Cripes I knew I was getting ripped but that's almost half my price for the same thing... or I can get a 5lb pack for that price. Ugh...
  • zCarsAndCaloriesz
    Options
    Get a lock cabinet is you think that is what is needed.
    I'm not a mother, and I'm only 21 but I know what I was like when I was younger.
    Me and my brother used to do stuff just like that, and honestly I wish my mom had done something about it.
    If I had been forced to break my bad eating habits, I probably wouldn't be as 'fat' as I am now. lol.

I just think it's important for kids to learn healthy eating habits, and how to eat in moderation.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    good luck.

maybe stop buying good stuff that's expensive and easy to overeat?

for instance instead of cereal (which is really expensive i think) then buy steel cut oats. the kind i get are like $1.99 and it lasts me a LONG time, plus oatmeal sticks to your ribs longer than cereal

instead of buying boxed popcorn, get the kind where you need to make it yourself in an air popper, on the stove or put it ina plastic bag and put it in the microwave (this really does work!).. again it's a huge difference in price and the bags last much longer than the microwave boxed stuff.

you can also hold them accountable like my mom used to do. she was on a tight budget and when i quickly ate the good stuff she bought as a treat, she didnt run out to the store to cater to me. i had to wait until the next time she bought it and needless to say the quicker i ate stuff, the slower she was to rebuy. i had other food to eat of course but not necessarily stuff i wanted to eat. and whether or not i ate that stuff was up to me, but if i chose to not eat it and there was nothing else, guess who didnt eat.

my mother could care less how hungry i complained about being because i ate all my cereal when there was perfectly good lima beans and liver with onions that she cooked :laugh:

also yeah, they are inconsiderate pigs. that's called being a teenager
  • MissShancey
    MissShancey Posts: 464
    Options
    lock up the food .. period ..

feed them when its time to eat ...

if they dont like what you are giving them thats to bad... they can wait until they are hungry enough to eat it ...

its simple .. just do it

the hardest part of being a mother is doing whats best for your family.... i might be hard but you have to do it

i have a 7 year old boy who tries that picky eater crap but NEVER gets away with it ... he pulls it on his grandmother and if he thinks im not paying attention he will try it on his father but the second i look at him he eats it right up ... im the boss, the boss says eat... you eat.
  • Jamee_J
    Jamee_J Posts: 63
    Options
    I think one of the big questions is how old are your sons?
  • Neconilis
    Neconilis Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    If they don't eat what you put in front of them then they don't eat. It might be harsh, but sometimes it comes down to that. You buy the food, you decide what people eat; so, if you keep catering to your children avoiding cooked food in favor of 'junk' because you will simply buy more 'junk' before the other food is all gone why should they change their habits? Currently, your children don't have to change because there are no consequences to what they do now. Mom gets mad, but it's a joke and nothing really comes of it. Change that now, it is a terrible learned behavior (for both you and your children) and yes it would be nice if they simply respected you and did what you asked, but they don't and changing requires proof that there's a negative to not doing what you've asked of them.

Additionally, if you handle this by not making it into an adversarial encounter, and simply lay out the facts of the situation, your children may actually come to respect you and others more in the future and not be so egocentric, which is honestly one of the greatest life lessons any one of us can learn.
  • Mceastes
    Mceastes Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I have two boys myself and know that boys are ALWAYS hungry. First tip is to create a shelf in the pantry where they can eat whatever they want from - snacks like fruit, protein bars, etc. and a shelf in the refrigerator that is the same. They are not allowed to eat anything that is not on that shelf without asking. I did this with my boys and it works! But I also had serious consequences. If you eat something that you are not allowed to eat - you are grounded from the video games (their worst nightmare!) Every kid has some privilege they don't want to lose so do whatever works for your kids, but you have to make it a stiff punishment and be crystal clear what the consequences and boundaries are and stick to it. I will usually write it down and hang it up on a wall so everyone will see it and there's no questions. I call a quick meeting, go over what I've written down and let them see me hang it up. I am always upfront and consistent in my punishments so this works in my house.

As far as not finishing meals - I will put their leftovers in the fridge and make them eat it next time they say "I'm hungry". If they aren't hungry enough to eat the leftovers, then they aren't really hungry. Also, if you make dinner at a set time, like 6:00, then make a rule that no one is allowed in kitchen after 4:00 so they can't be too full on snacks to eat dinner. That is a big one for me and it definitely keeps them hungry at dinner. This rule more than any other really works for making sure mine finish meals, but again, you MUST communicate this to them ahead of time and have consequences that are spelled out so they will be able to make the smart choice you want them to make.

Hang in there mom - what you are going through is totally normal. Don't let them frustrate you - you just have to be creative and come up with a system that works to address your specific problems. But also remember that growing boys,especially active ones, are hungry and high food costs are a part of life when you have kids. No way to get around that part. Good luck!!
  • lil_bit_crazy
    lil_bit_crazy Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Jealous of your prices... 25lbs of flour for $7? Cripes I knew I was getting ripped but that's almost half my price for the same thing... or I can get a 5lb pack for that price. Ugh...

Yess! Self rising is what I get
    ... all purpose only in 10# for $6.
    Ground chuck 10# $3.00
    Boneless skinless chicken breast 10# $23

I love Sam's Club ...u can shop online there too.
  • RonneyKay
    RonneyKay Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Yes, how old are they?

I like what one poster said, give them each a set amount of money to buy THEIR OWN snacks/junk food, put their names on them, and when they are done, too bad until next time... like every other week or whatever. ORRRR....

Put a price tag on the food, and start charging them for what they eat. Then they will probably start to understand what a burden it is. Everytime they go to the cabinet or fridge, follow them and make them pay for it.. Ask "what is this worth to you" and if they don't have money, make them do a chore. This will help them learn you have to work for everything, even food, nothing is for free.

I too have a 16 year old, and he has learned to do this. His cereal is now lasting longer, as is the milk and other stuff he eats. It has gotten TONS better since i started doing this... For instance, he ate like 5 bananas in one day, so the next time i bought bananas and he went for one, i said... whats it worth to you, i asked him for 50 cents, he didn't have it, I made him go pick up dog doodoo... then he could have his ONE banana...

so he knows now, he has to work for things he wants/needs.
  • puddies01
    puddies01 Posts: 17
    Options
    I would stop buying them snacks. And then they would have to eat the more filling food. That's just my opinion.
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Stop buying snacks and treats. They eat what's there or they don't eat. At least, that's what I did with my kids when they were growing up. If their really that hungry, they'll eat the good food you make them.

+1

and when the food is gone it is gone and all will go hungry,

There is a limit that has to be worked to.
  • Rosa1213
    Rosa1213 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    This depends on how old yous boys are, but have you considered talking to them about the financial issues you're having, and how their habits upset this?

They may not really get it if they're younger, but if they're a bit older maybe this can help get them to control themselves a little.
    I don't think you should ever shy away from saying "We can't afford it."
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    OK, aside from what others are saying about not buying the junk foods and all, which I agree with, I would also make rules of they HAVE to ask before they can have a snack and then limit how much they can have.

I am a single Mom of 2 boys, ages 14 and 7. They are required to ask me before they can eat something. There are also times when snacks are off limits in my house. Candy is only allowed after they had a decent healthy snack and ate well at the meals. No chocolate except for during the afternoons. No snacks if they do not eat meals that are put in front of them. I cook the food they eat and do not complain or they go hungry (no snacks, either). They are not allowed to snack within an hour and a half of meals, either way (before or after).
    I also provide fruit and veggies often for snacks. I get it out and we share it during snack times. There need to be limits and rules so that you can bring the snacking and overboard eating habits of junk food under control. It is your house. Remind them this.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Ok reading all these replies ...I need to clarify some things.
    I don't buy snack cakes. When I buy chips/Doritos its for when we have hamburgers for dinner. Not just to have around.
    I stock up on tons of fruits and veggies. I buy the 2 pound jars of peanut butter. I get 1% milk. I make homemade bread, biscuits, pancakes, etc..(Sam's has 25# flour $7!!)
    I buy freezer items in bulk ...ground chuck, chicken, pork,
    I get plain yogurt and add my own fruit.
    When I get popcorn its 1 box to last 2 weeks for 5 ppl.
    When I talk of "junk" to me that is ramen noodles ..which a 12pk box disappears in under 3 days. Or tortillas with shredded cheese ..which disappears the same nite.

I shop by meal. Like breakfast lunch dinner for each day. So when I make burgers and the chips are gone it throws off that meal. Or when we have spaghetti and they eat the corn on the cob. It throws off the meal..I have to find another veggie to replace it.

I think when I said junk y'all thought I meant ho ho's and fruit pies and cheetos and ding dongs ...that to me is garbage and doesn't come in this house.

I just wish they would eat what is placed in front of them and use moderation with snacks.

Sounds like you're pretty sorted with working out what goes with what when you buy it... but do your kids know? My aunty has a whiteboard on her fridge and the meals for the week are written up. Her kids are awesome in the kitchen (they're 10 and 12) and they start preparing dinner when they get home from school before she gets in from work. This COULD work for your kids - not that they have to prepare the meal, but that they know what in the fridge is designated for which meal. You could also do as other have said and prepare a couple of meals in advance so that they can snack on them.
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Honestly it doesn't sound like you get a lot of food. Growing boys are hungry. If you can't afford to pay for food, would you consider applying for assistance? There's no way you can all eat off of that budget healthily, unless you are growing your own food as well.
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Honestly it doesn't sound like you get a lot of food. Growing boys are hungry. If you can't afford to pay for food, would you consider applying for assistance? There's no way you can all eat off of that budget healthily, unless you are growing your own food as well.

Okay On top of this, I read OPs reply and see how they make their budget work. I understand the frustration of them not eating what you make but what if they just don't like it? I mean, there is stuff that I would not ever eat unless I was literally dying.
This discussion has been closed.