serious problem

Options

Replies

• lil_bit_crazy
    lil_bit_crazy Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    They are 11, 13, 14. I don't have a problem with the "if u don't eat dinner u can go without" I was raised that way.
    I don't work, I'm disabled. Telling them to stay out of the kitchen is like expecting to win a lottery.
    Boys are sneaky

Guess I'll just get a locking cabinet. I don't like the idea of having to lock up food. But it's getting out of control.
  • lil_bit_crazy
    Options
    Honestly it doesn't sound like you get a lot of food. Growing boys are hungry. If you can't afford to pay for food, would you consider applying for assistance? There's no way you can all eat off of that budget healthily, unless you are growing your own food as well.

Okay On top of this, I read OPs reply and see how they make their budget work. I understand the frustration of them not eating what you make but what if they just don't like it? I mean, there is stuff that I would not ever eat unless I was literally dying.

Actually 4 houses on my block share an enormous garden! Beans potatoes, corn, cucumbers, tomato, peas, zucchini, squash, onions, ...I can a lot for winter too. I make bread items and freeze them. I buy meat only when its on sale. I hit different stores for sale items and coupons to double and triple my savings. I have a deep freezer and use it! A lot!

Like if I buy chicken breasts, on sale somewhere 10 pounds for 15$ I'll get 20 pounds. Then I'll come home and divide it into meals. But 5 pounds I'll slice into chicken fingers, 5 pounds into cubes for other meal things ..see?

I can make 1 thing of salt last over a year. I don't use pepper. We eat "natural"
    I am a hound dog bargain shopper ...trust me!
    Online, papers, coupons, value cards, store discounts ..I get them!
  • GlitterMamma11
    GlitterMamma11 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I have boys so I know how it is when it comes to them eating EVERYTHING but mine do not eat that excessively. 40 yogurts in a day? That is crazy! Maybe they need to start paying you for snacks or you buy some that are designated for them only and when they are gone, they are gone?
  • byrnet18
    byrnet18 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Many others have said this, but I suggest not buying any junk food. My mom was a single mom and raised us 3 kids on her own. We were poor. She never bought treats, tasty cereal or junk food. We had cheerios or bran flakes, whole wheat bread, fruit and other normal foods. She never bought pop, chips, sugar cereal, fruit snacks ect...I lived, and I am healthier because of it. So just don't give them the option. If they are really starving they will eat what you have made for them.
  • Elizadolots
    Elizadolots Posts: 178
    Options
    Kids are like that, aren't they? Will always go for the treat food before healthy stuff. My children can help themselves to the fruit basket when they are hungry, this is always filled up. If they want crisps/chocolates/biscuits they wait for Saturday, which is their treat night. And we always go to the shop on Saturday to buy it, else they pester me for it. :bigsmile: The popcorn made at home is a good idea too!

If it's not there, they can't eat it. I understand you being frustrated, I hope you find a way of dealing with it.
  • lil_bit_crazy
    Options
    AGAIN LET ME SAY

I DONT BY CANDY OR SNACK CAKES OR THAT TYPE OF JUNK.
    WHAT I MEAN BY JUNK IS RAMEN NOODLES POPCORN JELLO

WHEN I BUY CEREAL I BUY ORIGINAL CHEERIOS SHREDDED WHEAT CORN FLAKES BRAN FLAKES I DO NOT BUY PRE SWEETENED GARBAGE.
    I DO NOT BUY POP. EVER. NOT AT BALLGAMES. NOT FOR HOME.

I AM TALKING ABOUT SNACKS LIKE FRUITS AND VEGETABLES AND NUTS AND YOGURTS AND EDAMAME

PLEASE STOP TELLING ME TO STOP BUYING "CANDY AND JUNK FOOD AND GET HEALTHY FOOD"

BECAUSE I DONT BUY IT!!! THE ISSUE IS THEY EAT IT ALL!!!

HOW MUCH CLEARER DO I NEED TO BE?!
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    pasta pasta pasta for those growing boys...

Buy Elbow noodles, a can of Cambells Sirlon burger soup, and a bag of cheddar cheese, Cook the noodles up, Heat up the soup, after draining, put the soup in with teh noodles, mix in the cheddar cheese...and whamo you go yoiurself a hearty meal that boys can eat up and fill up.

Make some chilli with the noodles

make pasta with Butter, parmsean cheese and pepper...yummy.

you need to extend the $ as far as possible, Pasta is one of the best ways with boys.
  • lil_bit_crazy
    Options
    pasta pasta pasta for those growing boys...

Buy Elbow noodles, a can of Cambells Sirlon burger soup, and a bag of cheddar cheese, Cook the noodles up, Heat up the soup, after draining, put the soup in with teh noodles, mix in the cheddar cheese...and whamo you go yoiurself a hearty meal that boys can eat up and fill up.

Make some chilli with the noodles

make pasta with Butter, parmsean cheese and pepper...yummy.

you need to extend the $ as far as possible, Pasta is one of the best ways with boys.

I love noodles butter n parmesan cheese. My youngest does too!

Now if I normally use 2 pounds of regular sketti noodles would I use 2 boxes of elbows?
    Its not something I normally buy. And how many cans of soup per?
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    1 box of Elbow noodles=1 can of soup=1/2 bag of cheese
  • D446
    D446 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    AGAIN LET ME SAY

I DONT BY CANDY OR SNACK CAKES OR THAT TYPE OF JUNK.
    WHAT I MEAN BY JUNK IS RAMEN NOODLES POPCORN JELLO

WHEN I BUY CEREAL I BUY ORIGINAL CHEERIOS SHREDDED WHEAT CORN FLAKES BRAN FLAKES I DO NOT BUY PRE SWEETENED GARBAGE.
    I DO NOT BUY POP. EVER. NOT AT BALLGAMES. NOT FOR HOME.

I AM TALKING ABOUT SNACKS LIKE FRUITS AND VEGETABLES AND NUTS AND YOGURTS AND EDAMAME

PLEASE STOP TELLING ME TO STOP BUYING "CANDY AND JUNK FOOD AND GET HEALTHY FOOD"

BECAUSE I DONT BUY IT!!! THE ISSUE IS THEY EAT IT ALL!!!

HOW MUCH CLEARER DO I NEED TO BE?!

SO DON'T BUY RAMEN NOODLES, POPCORN AND JELLO!

If they are snacking on fruit, that's great.

You say they aren't old enough to cook, but they are old enough to be helping themselves to the food in the kitchen all the time. Honestly, they sound really disrespectful. If you are feeding them enough, which it sounds like you are, they should not be ALLOWED to help themselves constantly. If you have to resort to locking the cupboard, I guess that's all you can do, but you should be able to prevent them by other measures. I would have never done that to my mother when I was younger, if I did, I knew I would be in trouble if I got caught.
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    i grew up without being allowed to help myself to the food in the kitchen. if i was hungry i would have to have the dinner made for me or the left overs in the fridge. dinners were usually rice based so quite filling.

Crisps and chocolates were a treat. maybe once a week if we were good but there was always fruit and veg. If we didnt want eggs and toast for brekki we would have to ASK if we could have cereal and the answer was usually no because mum had already made breakfast and laid the table and egg and toast was the breakfast of the day.

Boys are hungry. they are growing and need feeding. are they bored? snacking is mainly boredom eating. i think you need to start showing them whos boss of the kitchen, or start up a tuck shop type of system, if they want those doritos they need to do the dishes or hoover the living room. pretty soon theyll give up asking knowing they have to do chores for snacks.

And make sure they are drinking enough water, they could just be super thirsty. But boys do eat a lot. and they do snack. my partner now is 27 and as soon as i shop hes already raided the cupboards. but ive trained him now to ask me if he can have them and when i say no i need it for something later in the week then he will go and eat something else or i will cook him something. i wouldnt ever leave him to go hungry.
  • Tallblondechick
    Options
    My mom raised 11.....yes 11 children on Social Security and Veterans benefits after my father passed away. She never had a problem with this. She made home made bread daily, bought peanut butter by the gallon and cooked many beans. Red, white, green, lima, and potatoes. We were all very healthy and nourished. We didn't know what bag chips were and surely didn;t have all that children have today. Today you can buy a P&J sandwich all made up in a box. That is rediculous. Popcorn, mom bought it in large 5 lb bags. Every last one of us knew how to make it in a big pot. Sometimes we made simple syrup to coat it. Sometimes we had cane syrup. It was called popcorn balls. Moma bought a 6-bottle pack of Coca Cola about once a month and shared it between us in small cups. Yeah, we all still here. No we are not in the 50's or 60's anymore but we always lived within our means. Good luck with all your boys. Momma had 8 girls and 3 boys. Without mentioning it here. Moma had a big expense with all us girls. Couldn't be avoided. Yet she managed. You will too.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    OK, so they're not eating their dinner, but they're eating all the junk/snack food--what if you didn't buy junk/snack food?

This 10X over!!! My daughter only has 2 kids but one is a 6 year old boy. He eats everything. She buys X amount of snacks FOR THE WEEK. When they're gone - they're gone. Simple. I will tell you that when kids are hungry, they will hold out for the snacks, but as parents, we know they will eventually eat. Children will not starve themselves unless they have other problems. Try it. I'm impressed that you can feed your family on $75 a week. That's awesome!
  • 3LittleMonkeyMom
    Options
    If you're that strapped for cash, check out your local food pantry. Situations like yours are exactly what they're for.

I bargain shop. I can get ENOUGH to last for the week. Its not that I'm strapped for cash. Its that they eat it all within 2 days. It wouldn't matter if I bought double, hit food banks, cleaned out a grocery store. If its in my house they EAT IT ALL!

I get meat on sale. Bread I make homemade. I buy freezer items in bulk. I use coupons. Last week my total was $260. After the coupons, buy 1 get 1, sales and MVP discount card my total was $81. I really know how to bargain shop...newspapers are my friends.

Stop buying junk food. I bet they'll eat what you cook then. You got a lot of good advice.
    Apples, bananas, grapes....great snack foods.
    No junk.
  • Generalle
    Generalle Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I hate to break it to you, but I dont think there is ANY WAY you are going to be able to stop them from eating. Much like teenage girls get moody, teenage boys eat. Period. There is nothing you can do to stop it. I only have one and have problems with my food bill and the amounts he eats. It sounds like you do everything you can to budget, but stopping them from eating isn't going to happen. I realise this doesn't help you and it's only going to get worse when the younger ones get older, good luck!!!
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    OK, so they're not eating their dinner, but they're eating all the junk/snack food--what if you didn't buy junk/snack food?

This!!!!
  • Rchamb1627
    Rchamb1627 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Wow kids eat. As they should they are growing. Locking up food? It's my honor to feed my children. They did not decide for me to have them. If my husband and I need 2-3 jobs each to feed them, cloth them and buy them toys it is my honor to do that for they are a blessing as I know your children are to you. Don't loose sight of the blessings you have. They will be gone before you know it.
    This is there childhood and they shouipld not be busted up or told not to eat yogart. How wonderful they should be able to eat as much as they like. Not trying to be mean or rude. Children need so much love and nurturing. My kids eat what ever they like. They eat a package of strawberries, blue berries and a bag of pistachios every day to themselves besides other food they have. I never say a word to them, I would not dream of depriving my children. If all else fails look into an extra job.
  • Generalle
    Generalle Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Oh, I was going to suggest you bake, cakes etc? I bake a lot for my son, put aside a weeks worth, then freeze the rest and take them out day by day. He thinks they're treats too which is good
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Its been years since my boys did the same things growing up, what I didnt know was that they were feeding half the neighborhood everyday after school. They would go though a loaf of bread and a gallon of milk a day, plus either a jar of PB&J or all the lunchmeat I had bought for the week. I finally had to sit them down and level with them and put them on strict orders. My budget only went so far, I stopped buying all but the basics I needed for 2 meals a day and limited to 1 night a week as "Goodie Night" and didnt buy it until then. If they were hungry they could eat what was already prepared or do without. I did keep plenty of fruits & veggie in the house for them to eat and there was always leftovers to nibble on

I know it is tough to tell your kid, you cant have that to eat but they do have to learn limits
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    with every suggestion comes an excuse. It sounds like a royal dicipline problem. I hope you can find a solution that fits
This discussion has been closed.