Foods You Hate But Eat Anway Because They're Good For You

Options

Replies

• Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    You can blend cottage cheese if you don't like the texture.
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    I don't eat anything I hate...for some things I've learned that as an adult I like them more than I used to, or learned to cook them better. Like beets and greens.

I'm not a big fan of oatmeal, but I like it fine, I'd just rather have a salty-carby breakfast than oatmeal. Still, I try to eat it at least twice a week for the grains.
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Go!

For me, it's cottage cheese. I eat it almost everyday because it's a good source of vegetarian protein, it's easy to portion out and take to work, and it's low cal. I can't stand the texture though! I've found that if I mix it with granola or Fiber One, it's much more tolerable. I've also added some crumbled blue cheese to it and transformed it into a chip/pretzel dip. I just need some crunch!

I don't like squishy foods--so I'm also not a huge fan of yogurt, but again, eat it frequently, always stirring in fruit or cereal with it.

I don't eat anything I hate. Why would I? Unless you are an extraordinarily picky eater there are other healthy things you can eat instead. Why force yourself to eat what you hate? It seems like setting yourself up for failure.

I answered your question in my original post - I do it for the protein.
  • semeyer
    semeyer Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Plain chicken breasts.....barf. I ALWAYS think they are undercooked, so I overcook them until they are dry and gnarly and its awful.
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Actually I thought of one. I hate drinking milk! (I will cook with it) I think it's disgusting, but every once in a while I will tolerate it (usually with chocolate syrup) if I need a little extra calcium that day. The only time I have ever willingly had milk to drink is when breastfeeding, then I could drink a gallon a day chocolate or no chocolate. lol. But seriously, that's it I don't force myself to eat stuff I don't like normally.
  • Tonya0605
    Tonya0605 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat pasta... I usually love most anything that's whole wheat, but there's something about whole wheat pasta that is just awful! Still trying my hardest to eat it, but I can't figure out how to make it in a way that it isn't so horrible...

I was this way too about whole wheat pasta but now that is all my family and I will eat. I have found if you OVER cook it just a little it takes care of the unusual texture. Experiment with it.
  • Longisland2NC
    Longisland2NC Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    The toughest for me is drinking the amount of water I am supposed to drink....I always drank sweetened green tea or gatorade - diet soda on occasion, now I do not drink any of that....trying to cut down the added sugar. I do not eat foods I do not like - toooo many other choices out there!!!
  • chocolateandpb
    Options
    Not a d@mn thing! :tongue:

There are plenty of healthy foods that I enjoy, why eat somethign that's yucky?

For everyone questioning why I would eat something yucky, it's for the protein!! :smile: As a long time vegetarian who also does low carb (er, is trying to do low carb, haha), it's tricky to get as much protein as I need. On a typical day I have a whey protein shake for breakfast blended with unsweetened almond milk, natural peanut butter, and half a banana. Then a protein bar for a morning snack, usually an egg and veggie based dish for lunch, Greek yogurt or cottage cheese in the afternoon, and quinoa or rice/beans with lots of veggies for dinner. Sometimes another whey protein shake before bed, depending on how much I exercised that day. I still only come out around 70-80 grams usually, and I don't feel like it's enough for me.

Taking your suggestions for non-squishy vegetarian protein sources other than the ones I mentioned that I'm already eating! :smile:

There are lots of other nut butters, why stop with peanut butter? And why not eat nuts themselves?

Oh yes, I enjoy almond butter and hazelnut butter as well. Just saying what I've been eating on a typical day, most recently. I do eat nuts themselves as well - I always have a stash of raw almonds and raw pecans in my desk drawer at work. The only downside for me with nuts is that they're so high in fat and calories for such a small portion. Even though they're "good" fats, I still try to keep my fat intake relatively low. :smile:
  • zeffielove
    Options
    I have found that if I try to make myself eat things I hate, I'm much more likely to fall off the wagon and start bingeing on things like fried foods, fast food, and super sugary sweets. Portion control seems to have helped me a lot!
  • ryansgram
    ryansgram Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything i don't like. That would lead me to eating something thats not good for me. I can't eat anything i don't enjoy.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat pasta... I usually love most anything that's whole wheat, but there's something about whole wheat pasta that is just awful! Still trying my hardest to eat it, but I can't figure out how to make it in a way that it isn't so horrible...

I'm not a fan of whole wheat pasta either. It usually has a grainy texture and an unpleasant gray color. I go for other whole grain or high fiber pastas. Barilla Plus is my favorite, but the white pastas with added fiber like Barilla Piccolini and Smart Taste are good too.

But if you cook regular white pasta al dente it digests at about the same rate as whole grain so you won't get the blood sugar rush. You won't get the fiber either, of course.
  • curvyvegan
    curvyvegan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I won't eat anything unless I love it! Why waste the calories??

That said, I do love many healthy foods, and truth be told there are some that I had to try preparing in different ways before I found a way that I enjoyed. Like kale...first I tried steaming it, it was awful. Now I shred it and into a kale salad with a rich nut-based dressing, or I sautee it with olive oil, garlic, and pine nuts. So I guess I'll try anything, and I'll make an effort to learn to like a healthy food...but no, there's nothing that I'll eat day in and day out that I don't enjoy.
  • Dreaaa
    Dreaaa Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    LENTILS. *shudders*

AGREED!! its truly disgusting. My mom tries to cover up the foul taste with tomatoes or spices but nothing will make them taste good to me. Pinto beans and Black beans are the only ones I like.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    @ OP:

I would never force myself to eat something i *HATE* for whatever said benefits might be.

I will find an alternative with similar nutritional qualities that I can stand.

In your case, that would be greek yogurt. :P

On a serious note if you feel like you are depriving yourself and or forcing yourself to do something that you DONT want to do... it's seems like it would be easier to fall off the right path.
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    Asparagus...bleck and beets, both of which I eat 2-3x a year, which isn't much, but makes a change.

what kind of change can they make eatting them so seldom?
  • KeriW626
    Options
    I have found that if I try to make myself eat things I hate, I'm much more likely to fall off the wagon

Same for me, but me falling off the wagon means, stop eatting. So I eat healthy nutrient dense low calorie foods. I have been trying new foods. Mostly with fruits and veggies. Im finding I like them better now than before. Most of them I eat raw. The next one I am going to try is speggetti squash. I dont know why, but that just sounds good to me. I dont like brussel sprouts, but hubby does. So I am looking for a recipe I might like. by doing this I will be encouraging my husband to eat more veggies, and one he really loves.

Guess this makes my answer, no I dont eat things I dont like, but am trying new things.
  • chocolateandpb
    Options
    @ OP:

I would never force myself to eat something i *HATE* for whatever said benefits might be.

I will find an alternative with similar nutritional qualities that I can stand.

In your case, that would be greek yogurt. :P

On a serious note if you feel like you are depriving yourself and or forcing yourself to do something that you DONT want to do... it's seems like it would be easier to fall off the right path.

Perhaps I should have said "dislike" - HATE is a strong word! :tongue: As I said in my OP, I also eat Greek yogurt, but again, don't like it much because it squishes.

I definitely do not feel like I'm depriving myself at all, just trying to get more muscles on this skinny frame, and struggling with getting enough protein as a vegetarian.
  • KeriW626
    Options
    Im seeing a lot of people suggesting alternative ways of making various foods. Anyone have anything for brussel sprouts or beet greens? I believe the green have already been canned. Mother in law insists it taste just like spinich... nah I like spinich. But she wants me to eat the greens she has. So any suggestions?
  • tungsten93
    tungsten93 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Chicken. And I'm not too fond of eggs.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Im seeing a lot of people suggesting alternative ways of making various foods. Anyone have anything for brussel sprouts or beet greens? I believe the green have already been canned. Mother in law insists it taste just like spinich... nah I like spinich. But she wants me to eat the greens she has. So any suggestions?

For the canned greens, I could only eat them in a sauce. Way too mushy after being canned to eat as a side dish.

I only like fresh brussel sprouts roasted, preferably in the oven but on a grill is good too. I toss them in olive oil and a garlic/chili powder spice mix and roast until well carmelized. Any other way I've ever had them I do not like them. Frozen can be edible if completely thawed and drained before roasting, but fresh is much, much better. Canned are garbage. Steamed or boiled are garbage. But when fresh and roasted, they are my very favorite vegetable.