why waste calories on protein powder?

Options

Replies

• sunrize_sc
    sunrize_sc Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    @ Hendrix 7, what kind of protein powder do you use?
  • Healthymom207
    Healthymom207 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You get more bang out of one serving of whey protein than eating an egg or two. Actually you would need to eat around 4-5 gets to get the same amount of protein out of one scoop of whey protein and you would consume tons more calories and fat from the eggs.
    1 scoop of whey protein = (140-170 calories appr., 1.5g of fat) vs. 4-5 large eggs (350 calories, 22.5g of fat)

Find a higher quality whey protein and you'll probably get a better taste. You can also makes smoothies with it too. I don't even use milk or almond milk sometimes, I just put water in to save some calories and chug it.
  • lovinmamaxo
    lovinmamaxo Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I love my protein shakes when i have them. I just found some amazing ones at GNC as well the total lean i believe it's 25g of protein and perfect for the gym especially when my nutritionist says i need to drink half before and half after for the protein i need. I am not exactly gonna go home at 11pm and cook a chicken breast. I love them.. i got two 4 packs of the already made chocolate and strawberry yum and 2 packages of the cookies and cream powder gonna do banana cream next. I like them better than my pure protein vanilla cream powder so to me its not a waste. Mix it up with yogurt, frozen fruit, almond milk, sugar free chocolate powder, etc or put it into food its amazing and helpful once you find one that you like.
  • laus_8882
    laus_8882 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    The idea of whey protein really grosses me out. I'm sure it tastes lovely, but it seems... wrong somehow. The way buttermilk is wrong. I've used pea protein powder before - it goes well in vegie soups and smoothies, but it is fairly high in sodium.
  • LavaRoushFiveOh
    LavaRoushFiveOh Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You get more bang out of one serving of whey protein than eating an egg or two. Actually you would need to eat around 4-5 gets to get the same amount of protein out of one scoop of whey protein and you would consume tons more calories and fat from the eggs.
    1 scoop of whey protein = (140-170 calories appr., 1.5g of fat) vs. 4-5 large eggs (350 calories, 22.5g of fat)

Find a higher quality whey protein and you'll probably get a better taste. You can also makes smoothies with it too. I don't even use milk or almond milk sometimes, I just put water in to save some calories and chug it.

Drink it like a boss! lol.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    for the question about protein powder while still losing weight ... even more important than when you are maintaining. because when you lose weight, you can lose lean mass as well. the better your protein intake, along with weight work, the better off you will be when you hit your goal weight.

(and I don't even spend much on mine. $15 for a 3 lb tub of body fortress at walmart. and it tastes good even in water. great with milk.)
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Who says you have to mix your protein powder in milk and drink it? :noway: I never do that, actually. Waste of perfectly good protein powder. Get creative! I use it for baking, I substitute it for flour in pancakes, I mix it with yoghurt for a choc mousse. It's a tremendous way of satisfying my sweet tooth without wreaking havoc on my diet. :smokin:
  • LavaRoushFiveOh
    Options
    The idea of whey protein really grosses me out. I'm sure it tastes lovely, but it seems... wrong somehow. The way buttermilk is wrong. I've used pea protein powder before - it goes well in vegie soups and smoothies, but it is fairly high in sodium.

There is organic protein like soy protein, there is hemp protein as well that i have seen at Trader Joes. You could just eat lean meats like Chicken and Fish to get your protein. Whey is just rated the best.
  • LavaRoushFiveOh
    Options
    for the question about protein powder while still losing weight ... even more important than when you are maintaining. because when you lose weight, you can lose lean mass as well. the better your protein intake, along with weight work, the better off you will be when you hit your goal weight.

(and I don't even spend much on mine. $15 for a 3 lb tub of body fortress at walmart. and it tastes good even in water. great with milk.)

This is another reason why I am eating/drinking so much protein. I am losing weight fast. I don't want to lose muscle. I have not lost muscle and actually gained strength as well while losing weight.
  • shawaniea
    shawaniea Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    you can make a smoothie with it lol it doesn't have to be nasty
  • CatMauro
    CatMauro Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    ...Because it's the easiest, fastest, (typically) lowest caloric intake way of getting enough protein into your body.

If I relied on natural forms of protein only I'd be WAY under every day and so therefore be sluggish and sore every day. I too was doubtful of the benefits of protein supplements before I started but now I look at it like taking a multivitamin.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    NOPE! You just don't GET It, so it would be a waste trying to explain! ONE day you will!
  • ShannonGo
    ShannonGo Posts: 60
    Options
    Protein powder is fast, easy way to get my protein. I get real tired of eating chicken, fish, cheese, yogurt, etc. Sometimes I rather not eat anything else. I struggle eating enough day-to-day and I also take medication that causes me to have no appetite. I can totally drink a 6oz glass of ice cold chocolate protein to get my bump of protein. I make my protein with water anyway, because I don't need all the sugar from milk.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I hate to eat in the mornings, I never have an appetite in the AM, so I have a smoothie instead...I put protein powder in my smoothies in the morning...can't taste it that way & it gives me some protein...don't really see whats wrong with that...But you can waste a post ranting about what others do... ;)
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    not to mention I can have 2 protein shakes a day and be like, "Hells yeah, fruit smoothie for breakfast, chocolate smoothie for dessert" but if I ate 5 eggs twice a day I would have the worst-gas-ever and I'd want to vomit the entire day.
  • CatMauro
    CatMauro Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Is it just me or does it seem like a perfectly good waste of 100-150kcal (more if you add milk) to drink protein powder. Not only that but most taste like a** in a bag. I've got a 5lb bag of whey powder in my desk and I only drink it if I'm desperate. Wouldn't it be better to spend your calories on a nice hard boiled egg, a glass of cold milk, or a handful of nuts? Please someone explain the logic of protein powder.

Vanilla protein powder + unsweetened vanilla almond milk + orange flavoured fiber supplement = creamsicle
    Chocolate protein powder + unsweetened almond milk + orange falvoured fiber supplement = Terry's chocolate orange
  • ShannonGo
    ShannonGo Posts: 60
    Options
    I hate to eat in the mornings, I never have an appetite in the AM, so I have a smoothie instead...I put protein powder in my smoothies in the morning...can't taste it that way & it gives me some protein...don't really see whats wrong with that...But you can waste a post ranting about what others do... ;)

I've lost 20lbs in 3 months ranting about the way that others eat every single day! Oh... wait... I've lost 20lbs in 3 months drinking 1-2 protein shakes every single day. I knew I mixed that up.
  • Dino924
    Dino924 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My brother makes "prot-meal" and adds protein powder to oatmeal!

I think protein shakes are a yummy protein rich treat. I either use half a scoop with a splash of milk for some additional protein, or make a meal out of it by adding milk, fruit, and possibly yogurt or peanut butter.

And honestly, a protein shake is a lot more filling than 120 calories of pretzels or something.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Sigh......this thread again.

What if to hit my macros i want protein without the Fat or carbs that would come with the other foods you mentioned? What of I need another 30 grams protein that day and can't stomach another chicken breast?

My protein shake tastes amazing Because I buy a quality product, shop more wisely!!

Why would a protein shake be wasted calories and milk not a waste....whey is made from milk?

Basically this. When I was training for competition, my coach had me eating 20-30 grams of protein per meal, plus I was maintaining a calorie deficit. Nuts would be out of the question to stay within my fat/calorie goal and to be enough protein. Milk would be an issue staying within my carbs. I was eating 4.5 ounces of lean meat or fish for most of my meals. One or two meals I used a protein shake. I was cheaper, easier and something besides another chicken breast.

If I want to keep the macros/calorie intake similar, I could eat egg whites, which I did 1-2 times a day. I was eating about 8 egg whites to get the same amount of protein and calories as one scoop of protein powder. That's a lot of egg whites.

On top of that, I work in a job where I may not always have the time to eat. Protein powder is portable and easily prepared. I always have a serving with me just in case I can't eat or that I am still hungry after eating my packed lunch.

ETA - nuts weren't a source of protein for me anyway, they were a source of fat although they do contain some protein.
  • glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Is it just me or does it seem like a perfectly good waste of 100-150kcal (more if you add milk) to drink protein powder. Not only that but most taste like a** in a bag. I've got a 5lb bag of whey powder in my desk and I only drink it if I'm desperate. Wouldn't it be better to spend your calories on a nice hard boiled egg, a glass of cold milk, or a handful of nuts? Please someone explain the logic of protein powder.

I mix mine with pineapple, frozen strawberries, and almond milk (and a little bit of malt powder)...and I get something that is an awful lot like a strawberry malt. Makes me happy and helps me reach my protein goal.