What are your thoughts on braggs Apple cider vinegar?

Options
I was advised that Apple cider vinegar suppresses your appetite. Is there any truth to that?

Replies

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Well, yeah, in that drinking vinegar might make you kind of sick to your stomach and then you might not feel like eating right then. Other than that, there's no truth to it.

Suppressing your appetite isn't a very good goal. You have an appetite for a reason!
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    ^that^ and it is supposed to taste RANK
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »

Well, I wouldn't say that. It's actually quite good...as a vinegar.

You know, to use in salad dressings, marinades, and light quick pickles?

I wouldn't drink it. Not straight anyway...I work a bit at a history museum and we have lots of old recipes for vinegar punch that I'm curious to try. A bit like lemonade (that's US lemonade, not the fizzy beverage they call "lemonade" in the UK) in a time when lemons were hard to come by.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options

Ehhh. It tastes kind of like Kombucha. I'm a fan.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    That's so interesting about the vinegar punch. I'm curious now, too!
  • ahoy_m8
    Options
    But not for appetite suppression:)
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    That's so interesting about the vinegar punch. I'm curious now, too!

Me too!
  • Lois_1989
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »

Ehhh. It tastes kind of like Kombucha. I'm a fan.

I've never tried it, with a meal or as part of a recipe. I have always heard bad things about it and stayed away from it...
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Here is an article about shrubs and switchels.

And a recipe:

Harvest Drink. Mix with five gallons of good water, half a gallon of molasses, one quart of vinegar, and two ounces of powdered ginger. This will make not only a very pleasant beverage, but one highly invigorating and healthful.

From Practical American Cookery and Domestic Economy, Elizabeth Hall (Miller, Orton & Co: New York, 1853) [Link to 1860 edition]

Reduced Adaptation:
    5 cups of cold water
    ½ cup of blackstrap molasses
    ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar (preferably raw, unfiltered)
    3 tablespoons ground ginger

Mix ingredients thoroughly. Store in jars, jugs or bottles. Shake before serving. Serve cold.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    It's great and there are all kinds of health benefits. I drink a vinegar cocktail made of 1tbsp vinegar in a tall glass of cold water AM and PM (or I skip the PM cocktail if I'm having a salad for dinner as I'll use 2-3tbsp of vinegar on the salad instead). I started doing this ten years ago and haven't had a single cold since. It's also a great palate cleanser and I quickly got used to the taste.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    It's great and there are all kinds of health benefits. I drink a vinegar cocktail made of 1tbsp vinegar in a tall glass of cold water AM and PM (or I skip the PM cocktail if I'm having a salad for dinner as I'll use 2-3tbsp of vinegar on the salad instead). I started doing this ten years ago and haven't had a single cold since. It's also a great palate cleanser and I quickly got used to the taste.

Are you saying there is a connection between consuming 2-4 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar per day and you not having a cold for ten years? I'm curious as to what you think that connection is.
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I've never heard about it as an appetite suppressant. But I've seen and heard a lot of anecdotal evidence that it slows carbohydrate digestion and lowers resistance to insulin. Making it of benefit to diabetics. (And from what I've read for these benefits getting the unfiltered 'with the mother' like Braggs is important)

Also read that the unfiltered stuff has probiotic benefits if you are into that bit.

I drink it straight because I couldn't deal with the taste of it even highly diluted. So now I throw it back like a shot and then chase it with water to wash away the aftertaste.

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    No.... just no.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Are you saying there is a connection between consuming 2-4 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar per day and you not having a cold for ten years? I'm curious as to what you think that connection is.

The apple cider vinegar alkalinizes the body and creates an environment where viruses can't survive. Or so I've read, and going by my own experience it works.

• kimberlydgarcia
    kimberlydgarcia Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Ive drank it for years for my kidneys. First time in my life with no kidney problems! As for weight loss, no. I was fat while drinking it. Started watching my calories and not eating fast food & started losing :)
  • Lois_1989
    Options

The apple cider vinegar alkalinizes the body and creates an environment where viruses can't survive. Or so I've read, and going by my own experience it works.

Nope. Not possible. This was discussed about the alkaline water and someone put a link up to a website basically saying this wasn't possible.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

LOL

988909_597852927018914_1575993988559588191_n.jpg?oh=44f212717b40de385a187bebf3809a8b&oe=559DD6CF&__gda__=1438055546_08f4c1d901427c5c6ef786e25e06d825

• Lois_1989
    Options
    Found it!
    wellz6 wrote: »
    I'm a fan of structured water, but not alkaline water. Structured water is found in nature, alkaline water is not. Any time you stray away from what nature intended it can create problems. Drinking high ph water does not alkalize the body properly. Lemons are one of the most acidic foods on the planet but yet when it is digested it leaves alkaline ash which is healthy for the body.

Here are 7 reasons not to drink alkaline water from a good website on the properties of water:

1) Alkaline water may hinder digestion. The first and the most obvious red flag regarding the consumption of alkaline ionized water is its potential impact on digestion. Since the digestive process begins in the stomach—an extremely acidic environment—a person must ask the question: What is the impact of alkaline water on the digestive process? Fifty percent of people over the age of 60 are hypochlorhydric. This means that they can no longer produce enough stomach acid for optimal digestion. For these individuals, the consumption of alkaline water presents a problem. You might be surprised to discover how many people who drink alkaline ionized water end up with digestive trouble—and they have no idea it was caused by the water. Many of those who promote alkaline water are aware of this issue . . . that’s why they suggest NOT drinking it before meals.

2) Alkaline water does not balance the body’s pH. One of the arguments used in favor of alkaline water, supposes that its consumption will alkalize the body and negate the buildup of acids caused by our modern diet and lifestyle. If consuming alkaline food and alkaline water negated an acidic cellular environment, then eating well-cooked meat (known to be alkaline) would overcome acidity. Eating cooked meat does the exact opposite. By the same token, eating a lemon would contribute to acidosis — but lemons are known to be one of the most alkalizing foods. Obviously, balancing acidity in the human body is not as cut and dried as some would like to think. The consumption of acids or bases (alkaline), does not necessarily balance cellular pH. And while drinking alkaline water sometimes increases urine pH, it is not an indicator that the body’s pH is in balance. When measuring the fluids of the body, (particularly saliva and urine) several factors should be interpreted together to get an accurate picture. Equally important measurements of these fluids are: resistivity/conductivity, specific gravity, and rH2. One measurement without the others can be misleading. Measuring the pH of urine (a reflection of what the body is letting go of) is an oversimplification. Increased urine pH could also mean that the body is having to get rid of excessive alkaline minerals that are not in a form the body can utilize. When it comes right down to it, the body prefers to receive minerals in an organic form (in food). In this way, alkalizing minerals are linked with organic acids. This is the reason lemons contribute to alkalinity– they contain an abundance of alkalizing minerals yet they are balanced with organic acids so that the body can recognize and utilize them. All raw plant foods are acidic (with the exception of a few herbs). They are made of organic acids combined with organically-complexed minerals. This is the reason raw food tends to balance the body’s pH in a way that alkaline water cannot.

3) Ionization damages water’s life force. Another reason NOT to drink alkaline ionized water has to do with the molecular structure of water. Nature creates liquid crystalline (structured) water using movement and weak electromagnetic fields. Those who sell ionizers believe that the strong electric current used during ionization produces the same kind of water. It does not. Although electric currents cause water molecules to become more organized, strong electric currents (like those used during ionization) have a damaging effect on the electromagnetic field around water molecules. Ionized water is not coherent and it is not capable of maintaining long-range molecular organization. The water loses its structure when it is removed from the electric field. Water that has been treated in this manner is aggressive. It is no longer capable of carrying the finely-tuned signals and other vibratory information that water is intended to carry within the human body.

4) Alkaline ionized water contains minerals in an inorganic form that contribute to arterial plaque and joint disorders. During ionization, water molecules are split (ionized). Positively-charged water ions (H+) are attracted to negatively-charged mineral ions (phosphate, chloride, sulfide, iodide, etc.) to form a variety of acidic compounds in the acidic stream of water. Negatively-charged water ions (OH-) are attracted to positively-charged mineral ions (calcium, magnesium, sodium, potassium) to form numerous alkaline compounds in the alkaline stream of water. The most common alkaline mineral compounds that form in alkaline ionized water are calcium hydroxide (lime), sodium hydroxide (lye), potassium hydroxide (caustic potash), and magnesium hydroxide (milk of magnesia). And because of the strong electric forces used during ionization, these compounds are not easily broken down. The alkaline minerals are not available for use in the body. If a person’s kidneys are functioning well, these inorganic mineral compounds will be excreted in urine. If not, they may end up as arterial plaque or as mineral deposits in joints and other tissues.

5) Alkaline water is imbalanced. Water ionizers separate water into two streams. The alkaline stream is consumed by those who drink ionized water. The chemistry of life is dependent on the balance between acids and bases. One without the other, for an extended period of time, is an invitation for trouble.

6) Alkaline ionized water may cause cell death and fibrosis of the heart. While alkaline ionized water has been in use in Japan for over 50 years, its use (until recently) has been restricted to clinical settings where the water was used in controlled amounts for short periods of time. There are no long-term studies to identify potential problems with either the extended or the exclusive use of this type of water. In the absence of controlled human studies, rats (with a shorter life span) have been the subjects of investigation. Three separate studies have shown that long-term consumption of alkaline ionized water produces cell death (necrosis), fibrosis, and other complications in the heart muscle in rats. Read abstract #1 Read abstract #2 Read abstract#3 Dr. Hidemitsu Hayashi, a cardiac surgeon and Director of the Water Institute in Japan, was one of the scientists who conducted early research on alkaline ionized water. His work determined that the benefits of alkaline ionized water were due to hydrogen in the water. Ultimately, he renounced the use of ionized water in favor of other methods to produce hydrogen-rich water.

7)Alkaline ionized water is aggressive and unnatural. One of the biggest arguments in favor of alkaline ionized water is that its strong electron potential neutralizes free radicals. While it is true that alkaline ionized water has a strong electrical potential (evidenced by negative ORP values), the rH2 value (hydrogen potential) is a more accurate representation of electron potential than ORP alone. It measures the reducing power of a substance without the skewing effects of pH. Understanding rH2 measurements and Biological Terrain Analysis helps in the realization that water with a strongly negative ORP value is out of balance for the human body. It may initially contribute to a reduction of the free radical load however, continued consumption and the aggressive neutralization of oxygen radicals upsets cellular redox balance which plays a pivotal role in immune function and metabolic homeostasis. Oxygen radicals serve as signaling molecules. Medical research verifies that their absence is equally as harmful as their overabundance. The ongoing consumption of alkaline ionized water tips the balance and it opens the way for other metabolic consequences.
  • ahoy_m8
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe! Fwiw, your body works really, really hard to maintain pH in a small range. What you put in your gut stays in your gut, segregated from vascular/other systems. Most viruses get in through nose/eyes, touching your face with unwashed hands. Biting nails, etc.
  • kimreagan87
    kimreagan87 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My best friend vinegar all the time. She actually likes the taste. It definitely does not suppress her appetite. But she hasn't been sick in over 10 years