What are your thoughts on braggs Apple cider vinegar?

Options

Replies

• spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Are you saying there is a connection between consuming 2-4 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar per day and you not having a cold for ten years? I'm curious as to what you think that connection is.

The apple cider vinegar alkalinizes the body and creates an environment where viruses can't survive. Or so I've read, and going by my own experience it works.

Not possible. Pseudoscience from crap web sites.
    I have quickly scanned peer reviewed literature and there is some support for the notion of vinegar consumption and insulin regulation, so it is more than anecdotal.
    Nothing wrong with taking vinegar if you like it and find it helpful (placebo or not), but it can damage tooth enamel with frequent use over time. I've heard that using a straw can protect the teeth.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Vinegar is super hard on your teeth and it does not suppress your appetite. It will just make you feel a bit sick for a while and tastes horrible.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Vinegar is super hard on your teeth and it does not suppress your appetite. It will just make you feel a bit sick for a while and tastes horrible.

But it *might* scare away your ghosts
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Some of the uses have a little more scientific backup:

Skin conditions respond to the antiseptic and astringent qualities. Preferable to alcohol-based toners for sensitive skin. Logic.

The heartburn thing...I've heard lots of anecdata about that. I believe the theory is that some indigestion/reflux is caused by ph imbalance IN THE STOMACH (not the bloodstream) and that it's actually not too acid, but too basic, and therefore conventional antacids can make it worse. But, I'm not sure. But, I'd be more inclined to give that some credence because the vinegar's acids actually do make it into the stomach. Much further down that road and we cross the Woobecon.

(Yes, I'm going to use that until it sticks, @FunkyTobias )
  • lastspen
    lastspen Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I try to drink ACV every day (about a tablespoon or two) and like many have said it is good for treating things like acid reflux and cold and sinus issues. It boosts your immune system but I'm on the fence about it as an appetite suppressant. Currently, I drink it as a shot (1 tbsp ACV and 1 tbsp of water, in a shot glass and all) but when I first started I drank it as a tea or apple cider (warmed in the microwave with honey and cinnamon). I did feel like it suppressed my appetite then but I'm not sure. I would stay to stick with green tea if you really want something to help with appetite and cravings and cut back on refined sugar and starches.
  • Susanna5781
    Susanna5781 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    Ive been drinking braggs vinegar consistantly for about a month now. I dilute 2 table spoons in 34oz of ginger lemon green tea, I think it tastes great. It may just be my imagination but I feel that I have more energy, or it could be the combination of the massive amounts of water I'm drinking as well.

I use it as a toner and my skin is amazing now! I use it in conjunction with coconut oil.

Also, my friend had a nasty wart on her foot, the vinegar took care of it over the course of applying a soaked cotton ball on it daily for about a week or so.

Braggs is about 4 dollars, I figure its cheap, its natural, so it couldnt hurt.

By drinking or washing with it? Also do you smell of vinegar after if you do wash with it?

It may be a combination of both because I do consume it frequently, but I just soak a cottonball in the vinegar and apply to face and neck, morning and night. Be very careful not to get it in your eyes OOOUUUUUCCCHHH!! once the vinegar dries I put the coconut oil on my face and neck.

• Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    spzjlb wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with taking vinegar if you like it and find it helpful (placebo or not), but it can damage tooth enamel with frequent use over time. I've heard that using a straw can protect the teeth.

And there it is in a nutshell. Try it and if you think it's benefiting you, keep taking it. If you haven't tried it and someone asks your opinion of it, tell them you don't know... because you don't!
    And yes, use a straw to protect your teeth.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    lastspen wrote: »
    It boosts your immune system

How, exactly does it manage to do this?

• Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    Ive been drinking braggs vinegar consistantly for about a month now. I dilute 2 table spoons in 34oz of ginger lemon green tea, I think it tastes great. It may just be my imagination but I feel that I have more energy, or it could be the combination of the massive amounts of water I'm drinking as well.

I use it as a toner and my skin is amazing now! I use it in conjunction with coconut oil.

Also, my friend had a nasty wart on her foot, the vinegar took care of it over the course of applying a soaked cotton ball on it daily for about a week or so.

Braggs is about 4 dollars, I figure its cheap, its natural, so it couldnt hurt.

By drinking or washing with it? Also do you smell of vinegar after if you do wash with it?

It may be a combination of both because I do consume it frequently, but I just soak a cottonball in the vinegar and apply to face and neck, morning and night. Be very careful not to get it in your eyes OOOUUUUUCCCHHH!! once the vinegar dries I put the coconut oil on my face and neck.

Interesting... thank you! Still not sure about consuming it though...
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    spzjlb wrote: »

And there it is in a nutshell. Try it and if you think it's benefiting you, keep taking it. If you haven't tried it and someone asks your opinion of it, tell them you don't know... because you don't!
    And yes, use a straw to protect your teeth.

You can have an opinion on the validity of the evidence supporting the theory that it will kill all viruses in the human body.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    It's pretty good in a vinaigrette too.

I make a home cooked salad dressing with ACV. Gives great flavor to deviled eggs, potato salad, and pasta salad.

Growing up, we had distilled vinegar for dying Easter eggs and that was it. All other things requiring vinegar used ACV.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    More and more and more!

53571961.jpg
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    It's a beautiful thing, right now, the vinegar and coconut oil threads are right next to each other.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I use Apple cider in my viniagrettes.

Aren't you worried that the vinegar will upset the probiotic flora in your gut?
  • jellybeanhed313
    jellybeanhed313 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I have used it for years to treat heartburn. It relieves it the moment I drink it and doesn't come back. I used to take antiacids almost every single day, several times a day and since using ACV the very first time, I hardly ever have heartburn anymore. When I do, I use ACV. It works great. I've heard its good for overall health, but not for weight loss.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    It's great and there are all kinds of health benefits. I drink a vinegar cocktail made of 1tbsp vinegar in a tall glass of cold water AM and PM (or I skip the PM cocktail if I'm having a salad for dinner as I'll use 2-3tbsp of vinegar on the salad instead). I started doing this ten years ago and haven't had a single cold since. It's also a great palate cleanser and I quickly got used to the taste.

ooh! ooh! I wish I could flag "never had a cold since" in the forums because at this point I would try almost anything. I have heard good things about Braggs AC Vinegar, and I knew there was some sort of daily dose people take but didn't know yet as cold prevention.

• AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    My husband drinks a concoction of Braggs, our own raw honey and distilled water every day. It smells terrible, and is a waste of perfectly good honey, but he swears it 'cleans him out'. Uh huh.
  • Zaftique
    Zaftique Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    Much further down that road and we cross the Woobecon.

(Yes, I'm going to use that until it sticks, @FunkyTobias )

*yoink* This phrase is my new spirit animal. I am passing it on to all and sundry.

And seconded on vinegar's acid reflux-reducing qualities. My BF's whole family single-handedly supports the omeprazole industry with their acid reflux issues, and ACV has actually been helpful in a pinch. Tastes grody, and isn't the most helpful thing long-term (the omeprazole helps it from ever starting up in the first place), but in lieu of a handy pack of Tums, it works great!
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Here's an explanation of the alkaline diet theory as it relates to colds. I don't have any opinion on whether the 'science' behind this theory is sound or not... all I know is I've stopped having colds since I started drinking cider vinegar daily, ten years ago!

"Our blood is slightly alkaline, with a normal pH level of between 7.35 and 7.45. The belief behind the alkaline diet is that our diet should reflect this pH level (as it did in the past) and be slightly alkaline. Proponents of alkaline diets believe that a diet high in acid-producing foods disrupts this balance and promotes the loss of essential minerals such as potassium, magnesium, calcium, and sodium, as the body tries to restore equilibrium. This imbalance is thought to make people prone to illness.

Why Do People Try the Alkaline Diet?

According to some alternative practitioners, the shift to an acid-producing diet is linked to a number of chronic illnesses and symptoms.

Lack of energy
    Excessive mucous production
    Nasal congestion
    Frequent colds and flu
    Anxiety, nervousness, irritability
    Ovarian cysts, polycystic ovaries, benign breast cysts
    Headache

Although conventional medical doctors generally agree that a plant-based diet with an abundance of fruit and vegetables and minimal salt and refined grains is beneficial to health, conventional doctors do not believe that an acid-producing diet is the foundation of chronic illness. In conventional medicine, there is evidence, however, that some of the foods allowed on the alkaline diet may improve overall health."

Full article here: http://altmedicine.about.com/od/popularhealthdiets/a/alkalinediet.htm
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Here's an explanation of the alkaline diet theory as it relates to colds. I don't have any opinion on whether the 'science' behind this theory is sound or not... all I know is I've stopped having colds since I started drinking cider vinegar daily, ten years ago!

"Our blood is slightly alkaline, with a normal pH level of between 7.35 and 7.45. The belief behind the alkaline diet is that our diet should reflect this pH level (as it did in the past) and be slightly alkaline. Proponents of alkaline diets believe that a diet high in acid-producing foods disrupts this balance and promotes the loss of essential minerals such as potassium, magnesium, calcium, and sodium, as the body tries to restore equilibrium. This imbalance is thought to make people prone to illness.

Why Do People Try the Alkaline Diet?

According to some alternative practitioners, the shift to an acid-producing diet is linked to a number of chronic illnesses and symptoms.

Lack of energy
    Excessive mucous production
    Nasal congestion
    Frequent colds and flu
    Anxiety, nervousness, irritability
    Ovarian cysts, polycystic ovaries, benign breast cysts
    Headache

Although conventional medical doctors generally agree that a plant-based diet with an abundance of fruit and vegetables and minimal salt and refined grains is beneficial to health, conventional doctors do not believe that an acid-producing diet is the foundation of chronic illness. In conventional medicine, there is evidence, however, that some of the foods allowed on the alkaline diet may improve overall health."

Full article here: http://altmedicine.about.com/od/popularhealthdiets/a/alkalinediet.htm

From your own source: "So far, scientific support for the potential benefits of the alkaline diet is lacking."