What are your thoughts on braggs Apple cider vinegar?

Options

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    It's worse than we thought.

The father of all this ph balanced blood nonsense was arrested and is on trial for carrying all his idiocy to extremes. He doesn't believe in the germ theory.

Jesus wept.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/ph-miracle-living-dr-robert-o-young-finally-arrested-but-will-it-stop-him/
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    Also, there's no way an acid (vinegar) can cause anything to be more alkaline (basic). Well, possibly you could count diluting the much stronger acid in your stomach to be making it more alkaline, but that's really stretching the definition, and a couple T of vinegar aren't going to have much of an effect against the amount of acid in your stomach.

"Note that a food's acid or alkaline forming tendency in the body has nothing to do with the actual pH of the food itself. For example, lemons are very acidic, however the end products they produce after digestion and assimilation are very alkaline so, lemons are alkaline forming in the body. Likewise, meat will test alkaline before digestion, but it leaves very acidic residue in the body so, like nearly all animal products, meat is very acid forming."

Do I hear an echo in here?

Uh, that residue is in the digestive system. It gets neutralized as it passes through. If there's any resulting imbalance, guess what happens to it? It gets peed out.

The kidneys do a fantastic job regulating blood and body ph. The food you eat has nothing to do with it.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    Well, I must thank you all for a highly entertaining afternoon. I managed to waste the final 3 hours of of work on this page alone. I wish you all a Happy Easter! And if you eat too much chocolate have a couple of swigs of Apple Cider Vinegar and by the sounds of it, it will dissolve you of your gluttony :smiley:
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Yep, enjoy your next cold, y'all! And I will continue to enjoy my apple cider vinegar.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I've found vitamin D very helpful in preventing colds. I'd hate for you to miss out on this advantage while you are waiting for the vinegar cure to take hold.
  • Pupslice
    Pupslice Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Lol I wondered why there were so many comments in a thread about vinegar...
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    Hey, I'm on immune suppressants and haven't had a cold all year.

Have fun with believing everything you read on the internet!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ErikThaRed wrote: »
    I've read that a tablespoon in a glass of water in the morning and night, everyday, helps the liver

How does it survive the stomach to "help" the liver? Why does the liver need help?

toxinzzz
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    My neighbor swears by that. She knows people who lost tons of weight by drinking it. She swears she never gets sick to.....funny how she always has a cold and had the flu for two weeks....oh she's really overweight to! I know for a fact exercise and washing my hands have kept me illness free since I started taking care of myself three years ago.
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Someone eating less than 1000 calories a day shouldn't be taken as an expert on anything related to health. Just saying.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    DaneanP wrote: »
    Someone eating less than 1000 calories a day shouldn't be taken as an expert on anything related to health. Just saying.

She's also eating the Manuka honey. Because pseudo-science. Or Dr. Oz.

• DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    DaneanP wrote: »

She's also eating the Manuka honey. Because pseudo-science. Or Dr. Oz.

Yep
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    My neighbor swears by that. She knows people who lost tons of weight by drinking it. She swears she never gets sick to.....funny how she always has a cold and had the flu for two weeks....oh she's really overweight to! I know for a fact exercise and washing my hands have kept me illness free since I started taking care of myself three years ago.

What? You...you've....gotten in better shape and practice standard good hygiene? And you are healthier than in the past?

WITCHCRAFT, I TELL YOU. WITCHCRAFT.

I'm sorry, I don't trust your folk cures like "hand washing" and "exercise." Can those things get ghosts out of your house? NO.

I think I've made my point.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I'd use it in my hair occasionally after baking soda when I need to clarify and in a glass of water as this seems to help with a skin condition i have. (I don't know or care how it works or if it's all in my head I just know the itching eases so leave my delusions be.) But I've never noticed it as an appetite suppressant.
  • laura3977
    laura3977 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    Are you saying there is a connection between consuming 2-4 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar per day and you not having a cold for ten years? I'm curious as to what you think that connection is.

The apple cider vinegar alkalinizes the body and creates an environment where viruses can't survive. Or so I've read, and going by my own experience it works.

Nope. Not possible. This was discussed about the alkaline water and someone put a link up to a website basically saying this wasn't possible.

Yes, and I could find you a dozen conflicting (and equally reputable) websites that will say it does work. The truth is there is no irrefutable medical evidence about it (there is a paper summing up what is known here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3195546/ which basically states that more research is needed).

All I know is that I haven't had a cold for the past ten years, so you can put that down to coincidence if you like but I think it's more likely to be the vinegar. (:-)

Not saying the vinegar isn't magical, I was saying its not possible to change your body's pH levels.

This made me LOL :smile: thank you for that!
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    My only experience with cider vinegar and food was with a lamb recipe I made a while back. I used WAY too much vinegar and it was the worst thing I've prepared so far. I forced myself to eat it because I wasn't going to let the money spent on the lamb go to waste.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    yayamon3 wrote:
    I've gone from 3-5 sinus infections per year, not to mention several colds, to ZERO. That's all I need to know.
    Chrysalid wrote:
    I've gone from having numerous colds, and strep throat at least once a year, to none of the above in the past ten years
    Tobias wrote:
    Post hoc ergo proctor hoc.
    Yep.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/false-cause
    https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/anecdotal
    https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/burden-of-proof

To counter your anecdote...
    I can't remember the last time (if ever) I had a sinus infection, and I think I might have had 1 cold last year, but I'm not sure, and I don't remember the last time before that I had one, and I don't think I've _ever_ had apple cider vinegar, unless it was an ingredient in a food I was eating & I didn't know about it.

(ETA: I was mistaken about the cold last year. That was an immune response to a vaccination, which only felt like a cold. If I didn't understand about how the immune system works, I would have thought the vaccination made me sick.)

Chrysalid wrote:
    Google "acid alkaline food list" or something similar, and you'll get at least a hundred different sources quoting the exact same information I supplied...
    So are you a "No Brain"...? Or don't you know how to use Google?
    Nope. That's not how it works.
    "The burden of proof lies with someone who is making a claim"

lastspen wrote:
    It boosts your immune system
    Citations to research, please?
    Because this comes up with _no_ results
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=apple+cider+vinegar+immune

Well, this is interesting... apparently eating lots of fruits raises blood & urine pH.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25491498
    Effect of diet composition on acid-base balance in adolescents, young adults and elderly at rest and during exercise
    "Diets rich in animal protein and cereal grains and deficient in vegetables and fruits may cause low-grade metabolic acidosis, which may impact exercise and health...
    A high intake of vegetables and fruits increases blood and u-pH in young adults and elderly persons"

So again, your body is constantly trying to maintain a healthy pH level, hence the health problems from too much protein, and the higher urine pH when the food balance is reversed.

And a free full-text article:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3195546/
    Is There Evidence That an Alkaline pH Diet Benefits Health?
    "Human life requires a tightly controlled pH level in the serum of about 7.4 (a slightly alkaline range of 7.35 to 7.45) to survive ...
    A low-carbohydrate high-protein diet with its increased acid load results in very little change in blood chemistry, and pH, but results in many changes in urinary chemistry... "

Thing is, when they talk about an alkaline diet, they mean specific fruits & vegetables which result in the _urine_ being more alkaline. (And there's a list in the article.) Sometimes it has a slight effect on blood pH, but other than chemo patients they don't mention any situation where that would be beneficial. Having more fruits & vegetables is helpful for other reasons, which are explained in depth, including that we need more of trace minerals which tend to be lacking in modern diets.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options

I can't remember the last time (if ever) I had a sinus infection, and I think I might have had 1 cold last year, but I'm not sure, and I don't remember the last time before that I had one, and I don't think I've _ever_ had apple cider vinegar, unless it was an ingredient in a food I was eating & I didn't know about it.

(ETA: I was mistaken about the cold last year. That was an immune response to a vaccination, which only felt like a cold. If I didn't understand about how the immune system works, ould have thought the vaccination made me sick.

Oh sweet Christ on a cracker. Did you really just open the door for that discussion? :anguished:
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »

(ETA: I was mistaken about the cold last year. That was an immune response to a vaccination, which only felt like a cold. If I didn't understand about how the immune system works, ould have thought the vaccination made me sick.

Oh sweet Christ on a cracker. Did you really just open the door for that discussion? :anguished:

It just gets better and better, doesn't it?
  • ValkyriesCharge
    ValkyriesCharge Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Haven't been good about drinking it regularly, but it does help to drink some before beans if you get my drift (pun intended).

I make a wonderful skin toner with it (use on my face, neck, back), and no longer get cystic acne, my pores are tinisy tiny:
    2oz Braggs Vinegar
    2oz Witch Hazel
    2oz Distilled Water
    1 tsp Vegetable Glycerin
    20 Drops of tea tree oil
    10 Drops of Lemon Grass oil
    10-15 Drops of Lavender oil