What are your thoughts on braggs Apple cider vinegar?

Options

Replies

• runmama411
    runmama411 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I just like reading all of the comments. I thought MFP was supposed to be uplifting to one another? Hmmm. Guess if you disagree with someone, it is better to just make fun of them rather than go on another thread. Well played.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    We've got a former Canadian Cabinet Minister who believes in alien Greys. He gets trotted out whenever Woo wants to to be legitimized.

You know, this is a really good illustration of what I love about Canadian politics. Key words are "a" (as in singular) and "former." Texas has science deniers (plural) *chairing* congressional committees relating to ... science. It's just absurd. This week, for example, the lege approved handgun carry for college students. What possibly could go wrong with that? As if we don't have real problems to work on?? Love Canada. Worked there 4 years. Learned so much.

so canadian politics > texas politics because belief in grey aliens???

And guns r bad.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I think we now have bingo, folks!
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    runmama411 wrote: »
    I just like reading all of the comments. I thought MFP was supposed to be uplifting to one another? Hmmm. Guess if you disagree with someone, it is better to just make fun of them rather than go on another thread. Well played.

You thought wrong.

MFP is supposed to help people reach their health & fitness goals in a healthy, sustainable way. Which, at times, includes telling people they're doing it wrong.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I too prefer having apple cider vinegar in meals.Scientifically it is gud to have it.Because it will help in protiens digestion and fats breakdown. Therefore it will keep the body's metabolism active even when we are at rest

I don't want to alarm you, but one of the Xenu proven side effects of the magical Apple Cider Vinegar is a loss of the ability to form words like "good." It has something to do with all the toxins that are released when your metabolism heats up and your belly fat melts.

You need to do a Peeps cleanse to flush the toxins and reach enlightenment.
  • runmama411
    runmama411 Posts: 162 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

You thought wrong.

MFP is supposed to help people reach their health & fitness goals in a healthy, sustainable way. Which, at times, includes telling people they're doing it wrong.

In the manner some folks "tell people they're doing it wrong" sucks. Let's be honest.
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Speaking as someone who has worked in healthcare as an RN for almost 20 years I can say unequivocally that sometimes blunt works best. I run into people who believe in all sorts of quackery and put their children at risk by these beliefs. Better I tell them the unvarnished truth than have them do unwitting harm to their kids. And while being tactful can be a good skill, when you see someone posting all sorts of unsubstantiated nonsense, how does treating them with kid gloves help them in the long term?
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    spzjlb wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with taking vinegar if you like it and find it helpful (placebo or not), but it can damage tooth enamel with frequent use over time. I've heard that using a straw can protect the teeth.

And there it is in a nutshell. Try it and if you think it's benefiting you, keep taking it. If you haven't tried it and someone asks your opinion of it, tell them you don't know... because you don't!
    And yes, use a straw to protect your teeth.

You can have an opinion on the validity of the evidence supporting the theory that it will kill all viruses in the human body.

It will not kill all viruses in the human body. Stop believing that. Viruses are sneaky and tough when they are inside of us. They reside in cells that are far from where the vinegar will pass through. Even if you bathed an infected cell with the vinegar, it is most likely that the virus would be fine, although the cell might struggle. Take the vinegar if it makes you happy but do not think it is a miracle immunostimulating agent for humankind.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I don't think we are under any obligation to uplift and celebration pseudo-science, especially pseudo-science that may result in danger to others.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with taking vinegar if you like it and find it helpful (placebo or not), but it can damage tooth enamel with frequent use over time. I've heard that using a straw can protect the teeth.

And there it is in a nutshell. Try it and if you think it's benefiting you, keep taking it. If you haven't tried it and someone asks your opinion of it, tell them you don't know... because you don't!
    And yes, use a straw to protect your teeth.

You can have an opinion on the validity of the evidence supporting the theory that it will kill all viruses in the human body.

It will not kill all viruses in the human body. Stop believing that. Viruses are sneaky and tough when they are inside of us. They reside in cells that are far from where the vinegar will pass through. Even if you bathed an infected cell with the vinegar, it is most likely that the virus would be fine, although the cell might struggle. Take the vinegar if it makes you happy but do not think it is a miracle immunostimulating agent for humankind.

I have never believed that. There is no evidence that this is the case. I have been one of the main voices in this thread questioning the statement that apple cider vinegar will make you immune to viruses.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

You thought wrong.

In the manner some folks "tell people they're doing it wrong" sucks. Let's be honest.

No, you just don't like it.

I cannot remember where I read this or what the source was, but there's a split between what kind of "help" is most, well, helpful.

Some people are wired to respond best to bluntness. Some people are wired to respond best to sweetness, light, and warm fuzzies.

Since this is a forum with far more readers than posters, isn't it terrific that there are a wide range of responses that pretty much have both of those types of responses covered when correcting grievously wrong information?

You clearly are not the type who responds to bluntness. That's cool. Lecturing a bunch of adults who are perfectly capable of making their own moral judgments isn't really going to do anything productive for you in the long run though, is it?

• WestCoastJo82
    WestCoastJo82 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    I too prefer having apple cider vinegar in meals.Scientifically it is gud to have it.Because it will help in protiens digestion and fats breakdown. Therefore it will keep the body's metabolism active even when we are at rest

I don't want to alarm you, but one of the Xenu proven side effects of the magical Apple Cider Vinegar is a loss of the ability to form words like "good." It has something to do with all the toxins that are released when your metabolism heats up and your belly fat melts.

@EWJLang you might be my favorite.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Yeah, 'cause we love playground bullies here. Let's all join in and mock someone for making a typo! That's really constructive.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Yeah, 'cause we love playground bullies here. Let's all join in and mock someone for making a typo! That's really constructive.

Yes, I was a bully. So, so, meen.

But, let's be clear. The typo was merely the vehicle. The utter idiocy of the rest of the post was the cause for my naughty, naughty cruelty.
  • FluffySandwich
    FluffySandwich Posts: 1,293 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    I actually LOVE vinegar and crave the stuff sometimes very severely. When I go through these cravings I can drink pickle juice straight up, put vinegar and mustard on everything. Apple cider vinegar is delicious, slight sweet taste and is good in lemonade and tea!

.....Snookie? Is that you?

Hahaha! I'm not really familiar with Snookie (which is probably fortunate). Does she have strong vinegar cravings? :P
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    CICO15 wrote: »

And this is Exhibit A. "I am ALWAYS right, and you are ALWAYS wrong if you disagree with me. No room for thought contemplation. No room for, "well that's interesting, I don't agree with it, but I'm going to look into it." None of that.

My way or the highway.

Yep, exactly. There's no dialogue (i.e. an exchange of ideas), just a contingent of "experts" who seem to repeat the same blanket advice to everyone no matter what their personal circumstances, and who try to shout down, belittle or mock anyone whose viewpoint differs from their own.
  • mitchy2605
    mitchy2605 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was taking Braggs ACV to kick start my liver function as well as to help lower my high blood pressure, admit it does taste like crap but it seemed to help my body detox and start my weight loss journey. I read a few websites about it then consulted my doctor who said they agreed it can help start a lazy liver to work properly again, don't know about appetite suppression claims. My blood pressure is back to normal and my weight loss continues after 7 months still, no longer taking daily but if I ever felt like I needed some detoxing again I would.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    mitchy2605 wrote: »
    I was taking Braggs ACV to kick start my liver function

I think this happens when you're formed in the womb.
  • PeachyCarol
    edited April 2015
    Options
    A.... real life medical doctor.... said something about .... a "lazy liver".... not "working properly"... and vinegar fixing it.

An MD.

Not a naturopath?

Pull the other one, it's got bells on it. It'll play "Up a Lazy Liver"
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I use Apple cider in my viniagrettes.

Aren't you worried that the vinegar will upset the probiotic flora in your gut?

I don't think vinegar would impact the colon much.